Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Mechanic review

us Offline 4everYoung

SAK Mechanic review
on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:25 AM
I've been toting this for a while now. And I figured I would do a quick review of it.
My initial attraction to this knife was the pliers. They seemed like a good addition for small tasks. Something good to have on hand when I wasn't carrying a plier based MT.
Second tool was the dedicated Phillips driver. I mean it kinda speaks for itself.

Over the course of a few months I've carried the Mechanic off and on. The Phillips got used quite a bit at first. But the main tool usage was the large and small blades.  Other than just fiddling with the pliers, I've had no real use for them. There has been situations when I had the Mechanic on hand but elected to go grab a different tool for plier use.

I found that if I intended to do work, I elected to carry a different tool altogether.

After carrying this as my secondary knife for food prep and such, I elected to swap it out for the thinner Spartan.

All in all it's a good knife and a decent multitool with a pair of pliers as a bonus.
I'd say if I had to pick between a Mechanic and a LM Squirt it would come down to blade vs pliers. If you needed pliers pick the Squirt. If you need a good blade pick the Mechanic.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SAK Mechanic review
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:23 AM
Thanks for the write up.   :cheers:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:50 AM
 :like:

Kind of sums up my feelings on the Mechanic too, but I just love the SAK pliers.  They might not be very useful, but it's one of my favourite models anyway.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:09 PM
Some great thoughts there :tu: Thanks for this and the pics  :like: :like:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:50 AM
I'd like to do a follow up review. For  all this week I've been using the mechanic like crazy. Especially the small blade and the pliers. I'm engaged in a new scope of work temporarily and it has become a very useful part of my edc.

So for the past week and a half I've been working in designing and sewing a jeep top. The SAK blade is extremely good at slicing the material. The pliers have been a lifesaver bc I've had to constantly disassemble the sewing machine being used. The pliers had great reach and small size to get inside the machine.
Also having to pliers allowed me to tighten and hold onto bolts without climbing on and off of my jeep.

After this week I have a new appreciation for this tool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:41:59 AM
Nice update.   :tu:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:31 AM
Always nice to hear appreciation for a tool.  :tu:  So many times it is smurfing this and smurfing that. Or it really should have this or that.  :facepalm:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85