Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Fixed Blade

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
EDC Fixed Blade
on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
So, for some reasons I have decided that an EDC fixed blade knife is the next thing I "need". Anyway I was looking around a bit, and found a pretty good candidate (naturally it was a discontinued limited smurfing expensive smurfer). So I thought I ask for input here.

Requirements:
- Blade should be blow 3" although a bit more is hardly a deal breaker.
- Like me the blade should have a bit of a belly and be plain edged
- Overall, I would like a smaller knife but with a full length/narrow handle
- Low weight: not really critical but lighter is better
- No wood/horn handle, "life in plastic, its fantastic"
- Minimalistic sheath, preferably in kydex

Candidates so far:
Fällkniven F1: good choice, don't like the sheath it seems unnecessarily bulky.
Mora Eldris: Fairly cheap but a bit on the short side and rather "fat", also I don't get along with my Mora "light my fire" so well.
Klötzli Border Guard knife: Huge sheath and rather expensive for what you get. On the other hand its Swiss and has a bit of panache being issued to the border guards.
Benchmade Doug Ritter: sadly discontinued, but I attached an image because its pretty. It also shows well the kind of handle I'd like... good length but not too wide.

So, any ideas, suggestions, preferably with images. :cheers:

* benchmade.jpg (Filesize: 11.41 KB)
kloetzli.jpg
* kloetzli.jpg (Filesize: 81.5 KB)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:17:45 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: EDC Fixed Blade
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 05:57:29 AM
Man, I'm no help...sorry.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:00 AM
Bark River Knives has numerous knives that will fit your requirements but proably cost more than you want to spend.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:50:55 AM
Just go to Blade HQ and look at Spyderco fixed blades. Many that fit your criteria and excellent knives.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:33 AM
CRKT Minimalist its a neck knife but had a nice sheath that can ride in a pocket or on a belt or bag strap.  A couple blade shapes to choose from as well.  Even tho the knife is a 3 finger knife in hand its really nice due to the ergos.  I have one an its a great all around blade.  I wouldn't push it into food prep but its quite nice in many other areas.

Esee Izula 2.  I don't have one but it tends to get really great reviews.  There are some colors you can choose from as well.  This is a knife I'd like to try myself and one that continues to be on my short list.

Enzo Necker 70.  Another knife I've looked at but I've got big wide hands so I'm not sure if theres enough handle for me.  It comes in a couple different grinds and handle materials.  If you can get one in hand would probably be best.

Condor Mini Bushlore.  I know you said no wood but its a neat little knife that is very customizable. 

Well I don't think I followed what you asked for very well.  Sorry for the no help.  Good luck with the search.     

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:53 AM
I haven't held one for years, but have you looked at the Fallkniven WM1 rather than the F1?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:51:04 AM
I have the same "need".....watching with interest.  :cheers:

If I was allowed and could afford it, I would likely be looking Bark River's way......  :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:51:54 AM
BTW, the only one on your list I own is the Eldris and I have to say I really like it.  Do you have a Mora stockist anywhere near you to try one in hand?  I think you might be surprised by how capable it is.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:33 AM
Couple of cheaper alternatives, the CRKT Hunt'N Fisch designed by Larry Fischer & the Buck Paklite Skinner model 140.
P1100891.JPG
* P1100891.JPG (Filesize: 138.36 KB)
P1100460.JPG
* P1100460.JPG (Filesize: 195.42 KB)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:12:06 AM
I have one of these, and I really like it: https://xxxknives.blogspot.no/2010/11/compact.html  It is more expensive than both a Bark River or a Fällkniven, though. It's not a lightweight knife, as it's built like a tank. If going for a factory knife, I'm with Gareth on this one, you really should try handling an Eldris before dismissing it. As usual for Mora, it really punches above it's weight in price/performance and I think it's great knife. It is the one I think that is more likely than the others mentioned to actually work well as an EDC, since it's small and lightweight and can be carried in many different ways, also it's the more people friendly option.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:41 AM
Our laws don't alow "for when I might need" carry on these ones here, but I do have a Mora Companion, which I feel like it's all I ever need in the "fixed" category.
Dirt cheap, well capable.

So easy to replace when worn, broken, lost, ...

If I had a budget of $1000 for a fixed knife, I'd spent it all on Companions...

But then again, other people get by WITHOUT a multitool or SAK too, or even some knockoff...
To each his own, I'm no help here :D :twak:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:17 AM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 10:55:04 AM
I'm really happy with my ESEE Izula II - seems to tick all of of your boxes.

-Blade should be blow 3" although a bit more is hardly a deal breaker. ✔
- Like me the blade should have a bit of a belly and be plain edged ✔
- Overall, I would like a smaller knife but with a full length/narrow handle ✔
- Low weight: not really critical but lighter is better ✔
- No wood/horn handle, "life in plastic, its fantastic" ✔
- Minimalistic sheath, preferably in kydex ✔

Pics:
WP_20170511_002 by magpie2112, on Flickr
WP_20170511_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr
WP_20170511_004 by magpie2112, on Flickr
WP_20170511_005 by magpie2112, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:56:44 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 11:49:56 AM
I'm going to third the Izula. It's the first thing that came to mind while reading your post.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:09 PM
If you get the Izula, I recommend stripping the coating and forcing a patina. Makes it a better slicer IMO.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:47 PM
If you get the Izula, I recommend stripping the coating and forcing a patina. Makes it a better slicer IMO.
:facepalm:

I had decided to not strip mine but now I'm having second thoughts! Is this something you've done TS? Any pics?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 01:12:39 PM
Man, I'm no help...sorry.
You are not helping :twak:

Bark River Knives has numerous knives that will fit your requirements but proably cost more than you want to spend.   :)
Thanks, I really like the JX6 Companion with Micarta handle. Anyone know if there are other sheath options available?

Just go to Blade HQ and look at Spyderco fixed blades. Many that fit your criteria and excellent knives.  :D
You are right, the Enuff Clip Point does tick my boxes...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 01:13:57 PM
CRKT Minimalist its a neck knife but had a nice sheath that can ride in a pocket or on a belt or bag strap.  A couple blade shapes to choose from as well.  Even tho the knife is a 3 finger knife in hand its really nice due to the ergos.  I have one an its a great all around blade.  I wouldn't push it into food prep but its quite nice in many other areas.

Esee Izula 2.  I don't have one but it tends to get really great reviews.  There are some colors you can choose from as well.  This is a knife I'd like to try myself and one that continues to be on my short list.

Enzo Necker 70.  Another knife I've looked at but I've got big wide hands so I'm not sure if theres enough handle for me.  It comes in a couple different grinds and handle materials.  If you can get one in hand would probably be best.

Condor Mini Bushlore.  I know you said no wood but its a neat little knife that is very customizable. 

Well I don't think I followed what you asked for very well.  Sorry for the no help.  Good luck with the search.   
I like the Esee Izula 2, definitively on the list. Anyone know if there are slimmer handle scales available?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 01:15:33 PM
I imagine you can sand down the micarta scales - there are vids on youtube of modders shaping the scales to fit their grip so it's very possible.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 01:18:47 PM
I haven't held one for years, but have you looked at the Fallkniven WM1 rather than the F1?
Had that one on the radar, looks like a capable little knife.

BTW, the only one on your list I own is the Eldris and I have to say I really like it.  Do you have a Mora stockist anywhere near you to try one in hand?  I think you might be surprised by how capable it is.
I'm not worried about the capability of the Eldris, but it looks a bit like it could use some dieting :D
Considering the price, I might get one just because it looks fun.

https://store.multitool.org/departments/bark-river-knives-mini-canadian-blue-black-g-10-166.html  :whistle:
Whats in your pocket? Just my Mini Canadian... so that is what you call it these days :P
Like the Bark River knives although I'm partial to the micarta handles. I wish they made kydex sheaths.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 01:23:01 PM
Couple of cheaper alternatives, the CRKT Hunt'N Fisch designed by Larry Fischer & the Buck Paklite Skinner model 140.
The PakLite Caper is on my radar (don't like the forward curve in the edge of the Skinner), to bad they sell a knife that is called lite in a huge sheath... Still, at that price I could probably could try making my own sheath. It is certainly a nice minimalistic blade... they should sell matching fork and spoon, I'd be all over it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
Our laws don't alow "for when I might need" carry on these ones here, but I do have a Mora Companion, which I feel like it's all I ever need in the "fixed" category.
Dirt cheap, well capable.

So easy to replace when worn, broken, lost, ...

If I had a budget of $1000 for a fixed knife, I'd spent it all on Companions...

But then again, other people get by WITHOUT a multitool or SAK too, or even some knockoff...
To each his own, I'm no help here :D :twak:
I have a light-my-fire Mora. Those are certainly great knives for the price. But I find them too ugly >:D
Also, with the light-my-fire Mora, I feel not so comfortable with the edge, hard to describe but it feels too stiff for me (probably due to the "long" straight edge). If I get another Mora (which I almost certainly will), its probably going to be an Eldris.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 01:32:32 PM
I have one of these, and I really like it: https://xxxknives.blogspot.no/2010/11/compact.html  It is more expensive than both a Bark River or a Fällkniven, though. It's not a lightweight knife, as it's built like a tank. If going for a factory knife, I'm with Gareth on this one, you really should try handling an Eldris before dismissing it. As usual for Mora, it really punches above it's weight in price/performance and I think it's great knife. It is the one I think that is more likely than the others mentioned to actually work well as an EDC, since it's small and lightweight and can be carried in many different ways, also it's the more people friendly option.
That is a beautiful knife, do you know where one can buy 'em?

In Switzerland I don't have to worry about people friendly that much. Of course I try not to scare people or to incite a witch hunt, but people in general are pretty relaxed about knives. I do get a lot of positive reaction for my baby blue Benchmade Mini Griptillian, because it is so pretty and 99% of all non-SAK-knives are black.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 01:33:55 PM
I'm really happy with my ESEE Izula II - seems to tick all of of your boxes.

-Blade should be blow 3" although a bit more is hardly a deal breaker. ✔
- Like me the blade should have a bit of a belly and be plain edged ✔
- Overall, I would like a smaller knife but with a full length/narrow handle ✔
- Low weight: not really critical but lighter is better ✔
- No wood/horn handle, "life in plastic, its fantastic" ✔
- Minimalistic sheath, preferably in kydex ✔

Thanks for the pics, that looks like a good choice... Try to figure out if one of the local sellers carries it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 01:34:13 PM
I'm going to third the Izula. It's the first thing that came to mind while reading your post.
:salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 01:38:32 PM
Personal feelings aside, it might be worth looking into getting an Izula and aftermarket G10 scales. The cost of that package should be around the price of an Izula 2.

Same can be said for Becker BK14
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 01:41:15 PM
Just came across this while browsing CRKT knives after Colo's new thread-

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I04SZMI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1SLDAJUNUFD&colid=35ZWVQID26LR5

Might be a little bigger than you want, and the grip appears to come cord wrapped, but I found it to be rather striking and wanted to share.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:07 PM

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I04SZMI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1SLDAJUNUFD&colid=35ZWVQID26LR5

Might be a little bigger than you want, and the grip appears to come cord wrapped, but I found it to be rather striking and wanted to share.

From the same family the Achi really catches my eye: https://www.crkt.com/achi.html

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
I have one of these, and I really like it: https://xxxknives.blogspot.no/2010/11/compact.html  [...]
That is a beautiful knife, do you know where one can buy 'em?

The most straightforward is simply contacting the maker, Fredrik Haakonsen. (The contact e-mail address on his blog linked above is correct and updated.) He can tell you whether any stores has it available, whether he has any finished right now, and, if he hasn't got any ready, when you can expect one if you decide on ordering a new one from him. I know his knives have been available from a couple of stores, but I don't remember where and it's not a given they would have the Compact anyway. (I think it's the Survival model most stores have shown interest for.)

I know he's planning on hardening a batch of A8-mod (the steel used) pretty soon, so if he hasn't any ready made ones, the lead time doesn't have to be too bad. (He's a metallurgist by trade and has his own lab, so he does his own heat treat.)

In Switzerland I don't have to worry about people friendly that much. Of course I try not to scare people or to incite a witch hunt, but people in general are pretty relaxed about knives. I do get a lot of positive reaction for my baby blue Benchmade Mini Griptillian, because it is so pretty and 99% of all non-SAK-knives are black.

Way to make a guy in a country where people used to carry knives all over just a couple of decades ago jealous... :)

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 02:03:22 PM

From the same family the Achi really catches my eye: https://www.crkt.com/achi.html

Nice! That one actually looks like it comes closer to satisfying the thread topic too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%