Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Fixed Blade

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: EDC Fixed Blade
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 02:58:11 PM
Just came across this while browsing CRKT knives after Colo's new thread-

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I04SZMI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1SLDAJUNUFD&colid=35ZWVQID26LR5

Might be a little bigger than you want, and the grip appears to come cord wrapped, but I found it to be rather striking and wanted to share.

From the same family the Achi really catches my eye: https://www.crkt.com/achi.html

Nice! That one actually looks like it comes closer to satisfying the thread topic too.
Yep, that is really nice :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 03:04:32 PM
In Switzerland I don't have to worry about people friendly that much. Of course I try not to scare people or to incite a witch hunt, but people in general are pretty relaxed about knives. I do get a lot of positive reaction for my baby blue Benchmade Mini Griptillian, because it is so pretty and 99% of all non-SAK-knives are black.

Way to make a guy in a country where people used to carry knives all over just a couple of decades ago jealous... :)
Often when I take out my latest purchase on the train... others show me what they carry, like that grams that was real proud of her Soldier 2008 (she couldn't open the old soldier (probably a 1908) anymore, so she got a new one.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 11:23:25 PM

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00I04SZMI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1SLDAJUNUFD&colid=35ZWVQID26LR5

Might be a little bigger than you want, and the grip appears to come cord wrapped, but I found it to be rather striking and wanted to share.

From the same family the Achi really catches my eye: https://www.crkt.com/achi.html

Nice! That one actually looks like it comes closer to satisfying the thread topic too.

Nar I would take the akari over the achi any day. https://www.crkt.com/shop/akari.html

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 11:34:41 PM
Etherealicer, I suppose a Mora 510 doesn't meet your needs?

That Klötzli is quite nice, I admit :drool: There's a French guy making some quite similar knives but I don't have the bookmark anymore.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 08:17:53 AM
In Switzerland I don't have to worry about people friendly that much. Of course I try not to scare people or to incite a witch hunt, but people in general are pretty relaxed about knives. I do get a lot of positive reaction for my baby blue Benchmade Mini Griptillian, because it is so pretty and 99% of all non-SAK-knives are black.

Way to make a guy in a country where people used to carry knives all over just a couple of decades ago jealous... :)
Often when I take out my latest purchase on the train... others show me what they carry, like that grams that was real proud of her Soldier 2008 (she couldn't open the old soldier (probably a 1908) anymore, so she got a new one.

Ok I gotta try that next time I'm there. Although running around a train with a knife in hand and yelling "Can I see yours?" somehow doesn't sound like the best idea
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 09:11:58 AM
That Klötzli is quite nice, I admit :drool: There's a French guy making some quite similar knives but I don't have the bookmark anymore.
There is also one from Gerber (Bear Grylls Paracord Knife), but honestly, I'd rather have the Klötzli despite the significant higher cost.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 09:13:54 AM

Ok I gotta try that next time I'm there. Although running around a train with a knife in hand and yelling "Can I see yours?" somehow doesn't sound like the best idea
I once was visiting my friend and because he was not around I asked his wife where he is... she said:
"In the bathroom polishing his sword!" :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 09:15:02 AM

Nar I would take the akari over the achi any day. https://www.crkt.com/shop/akari.html
Banana and reverse Banana :nanadance:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 09:30:31 AM
If you get the Izula, I recommend stripping the coating and forcing a patina. Makes it a better slicer IMO.
I had to think about this and came to the conclusion that slicing is one ability that I don't care about much. Mostly because I will almost certainly carry a SAK or a Spirit with it and both are great slicers.

But it also made me realize, If I use that knife for slicing (e.g. an apple) then the juice will soak into any paracord handle, unless I treat it with something (most likely poisonous).

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 09:39:49 AM
But it also made me realize, If I use that knife for slicing (e.g. an apple) then the juice will soak into any paracord handle, unless I treat it with something (most likely poisonous).

Polish the cord with beeswax or paraffin wax? “Standard” surface treatment for lots and lots of cordage.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:31 PM

Polish the cord with beeswax or paraffin wax? “Standard” surface treatment for lots and lots of cordage.
Thanks for the tip...

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:35 PM
It may or will still seep into crevices in the wrap pattern, though. I don't think a wrapped handle can be really hygienic, unless you wash the cord separately from the knife and re-wrap the handle regularly.

hr Offline styx

Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 01:43:25 PM

I once was visiting my friend and because he was not around I asked his wife where he is... she said:
"In the bathroom polishing his sword!" :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 02:00:00 PM
Have you seen the fixed blade version of the Kershaw Skyline?
Andrew

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: May 12, 2017, 02:59:13 PM
Or a Bradford Guardian 3.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bradford-Knives-Fixed-Blade-Knife-New-Guardian3-EDC-Black-Blue-1126-3FE-013-N69-/172630691317?hash=item2831974df5:g:zdwAAOSwkShY9Y00
Yep, seen them... that one is at the top of my list. I think I even saw non-leather-but-plastic-possibly-kydex sheaths for that one...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: May 12, 2017, 03:24:19 PM
I think that one is out of production (might still be available though). The current fixed blades from Kershaw don't really tick my boxes and Diskin Hunter must have one of the worst looking sheaths:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 03:28:03 PM
I think that one is out of production (might still be available though). The current fixed blades from Kershaw don't really tick my boxes and Diskin Hunter must have one of the worst looking sheaths:

(Image removed from quote.)

This auction has a kydex sheath included;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-Skyline-Fixed-Blade-Knife-1084-With-Leather-and-Kydex-Linos-Sheath-/322513502190?hash=item4b174d7fee:g:xOkAAOSwONBZEjZC

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:09 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-Skyline-Fixed-Blade-Knife-1084-With-Leather-and-Kydex-Linos-Sheath-/322513502190?hash=item4b174d7fee:g:xOkAAOSwONBZEjZC
Thanks... that Kydex sheath is so much nicer than the original leather sheath...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: May 14, 2017, 09:47:17 AM

Thanks... that Kydex sheath is so much nicer than the original leather sheath...
Local store had one... it is a fairly nice knife, with an ugly sheath. I might break my "I don't use evilbay rule", but first I will have to check shipping cost. I also tested a couple of other knifes that fit the bill (and I can get them locally).
Decisions, decisions...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: May 14, 2017, 10:02:50 AM
Checked several knives yesterday:

Kershaw Skyline: feels good, but no way I would buy it with the factory sheath
Chris Reeve Professional Soldier Fixed Blade Knife: What a badly designed knife. The groove for the index finger is too large, so despite being a long knife, my medium sized hand does not fit fully on the handle :td:
Mora Eldris: The fat handle is pretty comfortable, IMHO they could have made it a tick longer though. Also, local prices are crazy.
Fällkniven F1: Gorgeous, but a bit to big
Fällkniven WM1: A lot slimmer and smaller than the F1... perfect
Realsteel Hunter: Similar in size to the WM1, maybe a tad bit better handle (for my hands at least). Great knife, great price...
Klötzli Border Guard:  :drool: but the cord puts me off a bit
Klötzli don't know the name: Klötzli has another small fixed blade... it is gorgeous (see attached image) and fits my hand perfectly. But price wise it tops all the others in the list by a good margin.

No luck on finding ESEE knives locally.
kloetzli2.jpg
* kloetzli2.jpg (Filesize: 116.22 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #51 on: May 14, 2017, 11:03:49 AM
This might be the first time someone said the Fallkniven F1 is too big

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #52 on: May 14, 2017, 05:09:42 PM
Well, out of my 6 or 7 EDC fixed blades that I have/had I think the Mora is the smallest, but it is definitely nice, easy and comfortable to carry.
Steel lends itself to be used and easily resharpened, very rust resistant,

sheath is excellent in retention and can be carried IWB or outside the belt, also has a drainage hole and is impervious to the elements. Handle is very ergonomic, weight is barely noticeable, IMO.
I recommend it!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #53 on: May 14, 2017, 07:07:25 PM
Well, out of my 6 or 7 EDC fixed blades that I have/had I think the Mora is the smallest, but it is definitely nice, easy and comfortable to carry.
Steel lends itself to be used and easily resharpened, very rust resistant,

sheath is excellent in retention and can be carried IWB or outside the belt, also has a drainage hole and is impervious to the elements. Handle is very ergonomic, weight is barely noticeable, IMO.
I recommend it!

And your other EDC fixed blades are?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 09:13:10 PM
People might not say this often, but the existence of the WM1 proofs that others think like this. :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 10:04:50 PM
People might not say this often, but the existence of the WM1 proofs that others think like this. :D

I thought WM1 was made more as a female hunting knife

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 02:59:40 AM

I find that charm and wit are the better armaments for that.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 07:42:03 AM

:rofl: good looks and a healthy bank balance help too apparently. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:49 AM

:rofl: good looks and a healthy bank balance help too apparently. :D
Nah, like every problem, it can be solved with duct-tape.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 11:33:01 AM

I read that too... but I'm wondering how well that actually works. How many women out there think, oh there is a knife especially made for women, with a freaking black handle. Oh and that sheath is so unfashionable and does not go well with my olive hunting dress.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%