Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non- (Or at Least Less-Than) Lethal Weapons and Tools

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Might be a minority, but I imagine some of us carry or at least own non-lethal defense weapons, so let's show them off, yeah?

I'll start with my Kimber PepperBlaster II;

Guest appearance by the SOG PowerAccess  :multi:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Non- (Or at Least Less-Than) Lethal Weapons and Tools
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:35:41 AM
I have some 12 gauge shells reloaded with rock salt. Does that count?
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:43:00 AM
I don't carry any less than lethal devices nowadays (or really any lethal ones other than a pocket knife) but I used to.  In my time I have carried the following:

Rapid Rotation Baton:

ASP baton:

Winchester Expandable Baton:

Monadnok PR-24 Side Handle Baton:

I also carried what was essentially bear spray, but in a dispenser designed for use on groups of people called Smiling Death Brand.  I don't think it exists anymore, but boy was it fun.  We also had access to some cool tazers and stun guns and we used to use them on each other when we weren't on duty.  like, everyone sitting around watching a game on Sunday afternoon, and someone gets up to go to the washroom and you coat his nachos with pepper spray or stick a stun gun in the cushions so when he'd sit down again he'd get zapped.

Ah the good old days....   :whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:05 AM
Can't seem to locate my collapsible baton at the moment...

I have a Fury with a very grippy handle. Not as nice as an Asp, but pretty good for the price.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:54:38 AM
Batons are illegal around here sadly. I would carry one if I could.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline redmond

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:55:31 AM
Same here. Batons, clubs, saps, pepper spray above a certain dose, fixed blade knives of any length, nunchucks, throwing stars, brass knucks, double edged knives, spring assisted knives, butterfly knives, gravity knives, any folding knife with blade over 3", the list goes on. All illegal to carry here.

So, I just carry a pistol and extra ammo. That is legal (with permit).
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 04:16:49 AM
Same here. Batons, clubs, saps, pepper spray above a certain dose, fixed blade knives of any length, nunchucks, throwing stars, brass knucks, double edged knives, spring assisted knives, butterfly knives, gravity knives, any folding knife with blade over 3", the list goes on. All illegal to carry here.

Dang, mind me asking what state?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline redmond

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 05:01:46 AM
Seattle area of Washington State.
Greg
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:04:04 AM

So non-lethal is illegal, lethal is legal?
My head hurts.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 02:03:08 PM

Yeesh...

The only thing on that list that's banned where I live is throwing stars.
To avoid getting overly political, I'll just say, that stinks.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:45:02 AM

My head hurts.

The US Constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms so states are limited to what they can legislate regarding firearms ownership and carry, although many do still try.  I believe carry permits are issued by the state though, which means that a license in one state is not necessarily valid in another, so even people with licenses have to be careful where they go.

There is no right to batons, pepper spray, knives, brass knuckles, ninja stars etc guaranteed by the constitution so states are free to legislate and/or ban those kinds of things all they like.

It leads to silly things like "you are a civilian and therefore can't carry a stunning gun but by all means feel free to carry a .357."

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 02:10:20 PM

My head hurts.

The US Constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms so states are limited to what they can legislate regarding firearms ownership and carry, although many do still try.  I believe carry permits are issued by the state though, which means that a license in one state is not necessarily valid in another, so even people with licenses have to be careful where they go.

There is no right to batons, pepper spray, knives, brass knuckles, ninja stars etc guaranteed by the constitution so states are free to legislate and/or ban those kinds of things all they like.

It leads to silly things like "you are a civilian and therefore can't carry a stunning gun but by all means feel free to carry a .357."

Def

You are correct there. That's info any permit holder should keep handy about their specific state.

us Offline redmond

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 03:07:36 PM
Correct and silly does not begin to describe it.

Laws change State by State and in Washington State: County by County; and City by City. What is called a Concealed Pistol License in this State is just that. It is not a concealed weapon license.BTW, Oregon is even odder in some places and they don't recognize any other State's Concealed Pistol/Weapon license.
Greg

us Offline rivercity

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 06:49:20 AM
Ive always been a fan of the humble pocket stick...... Kubotans and Koppo sticks are very underrated IMO.

Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:15 PM

carried always somewhere accessible: first defense: awareness, second: words, third: gestures, fourth: hands, fifth: spray, sixth: weapon

And some days, if I travel somewhere ugly (generally very late in the night) or far away where I feel like I might have trouble I carry a NN Multitool paired with a Knipex Cobra, which takes the place of the Blunt Nose multitool I often EDC and I pocket carry it (jacket/coat/large or cargo pocket) for utility but obvious secondary functions in mind. And it's just a tool, for repairing things and fixing your car ya know?   :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 03:02:20 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

carried always somewhere accessible: first defense: awareness, second: words, third: gestures, fourth: hands, fifth: spray, sixth: weapon

And some days, if I travel somewhere ugly (generally very late in the night) or far away where I feel like I might have trouble I carry a NN Multitool paired with a Knipex Cobra, which takes the place of the Blunt Nose multitool I often EDC and I pocket carry it (jacket/coat/large or cargo pocket) for utility but obvious secondary functions in mind. And it's just a tool, for repairing things and fixing your car ya know?   :tu:

And clearly the Espada is for emergency nail trimming  :D :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 01:13:21 PM
Of course it is... what else would you use an Espada for?

Def

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 03:42:11 AM
Come to Vermont. So long as it is under six feet long, you can conceal it if  you can own it.

Except for slungshot. Not sling shots, slungshot- a weight on a length of cord. Black jacks and saps are included; oddly enough, a manriki-gusari is not illegal (4-5' of light chain with a weight at either end), nor is a bola. That, and auto knives longer than 3", unless you are (or were) fire, EMS, LEO or military, or have a doctor's note certifying a disability .

Less than leathal... Steel toed sneakers? I used to carry a 21" ASP, but I got sick of denting floors closing it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:29 PM
It's non lethal if I miss  :whistle:

But realistically, any weapons carry is forbidden for me. I can carry a knife as a tool - but our laws more or less mean "If you started the day carrying a weapon, it wasn't self defence - you were planning to get into a fight"

So you've just got to make sure you're always standing near a half brick or something when someone wants to throw down....

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:40:10 PM by Sea Monster »

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 06:20:23 PM
Over here, if you have been training any fighting arts or sports, (long enough to maybe have learned something useful - like running), then you are legally considered to be using harmful tools. Basically in the same category as forks, dishes or the staple 2 by 4. Some get really disappointed to hear that after years of training their hands, feet and teeth still aren't considered lethal weapons.

Anyway, I don't carry anything normally. But I have on special moody occasion carried a shopping bag. Which just might have had something very hard and heavy inside it. Shopping bags are quick and easy to get most places in the world, quite discrete and the cloth ones actually last a while.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 10:38:37 AM
I carry myself around and I consider myself to be a rather less than lethal person.   :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 03:49:06 PM
Alright, I finally got around to digging up the baton;

It's decent, though pretty heavy. Doesn't compare to an Asp, but the price point is considerably lower.
My advice to anyone looking at one of these Fury batons is avoid the longer models. The shorter ones are pretty stout, but the long ones feel really flimsy.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 05:15:57 PM

+1

:facepalm:

Recently, I re-began to carry my S&W Military & Police Pen.

The fob makes it easier to retrieve from the jacket pocket in a ready-to-use grip. I also carry a Fisher Space pen in my pocket. It's got a Volvo engraving (got it 2nd hand like that).

SmithWesson Pen 1.jpg
* SmithWesson Pen 1.jpg (Filesize: 370.08 KB)
SmithWesson Pen 2.jpg
* SmithWesson Pen 2.jpg (Filesize: 363.37 KB)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:17:05 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 01:55:15 PM
I don't like messing around with batons, pepper spray, kubotons, and that stuff. If I am going someplace I can't carry my gun, then I'm carrying one of my walking sticks. Irish Blackthorn, hickory, ash. It's always there right in my hand ready to go, and I'd rather have 34 inches of well seasoned blackthorn than some silly little baton.

I keep them in an umbrella stand by the door and just grab one on the way out.

The one on the far right I bought in a little shop in Dublin. The shop owner had it in a rack of similar sticks labeled fighting sticks. It's oil finished instead of the traditional black lacquer finish, and very heavy and dense. I think it cold brain a brontosaurus. I'm not sure it's non lethal.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:01:24 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 04:16:55 PM
I carry pepper gel pepper spray.  I've not had to use it as my first line of self defense,   Eye contact along with Jedi mind control usually works but some are resistant to my silky words  :rofl:

Truth is sometimes you will just have to walk away.  I know for some its a hard thing to do.  You are flooded with adrenaline/machismo and your man card is at stake.  Walk away.  Obviously there are times when you cannot.  There may come a time when you must posture to let the other person know you are as willing to engage.  Stay in control and stay cool.  I've learned there is always someone willing to go to jail over BS.  If you have served time then you know that is not somewhere you want to be especially at our age ( 40+).  Lots of money on lawyers and lots of lost time.  Its never worth the trip through the court system.   

Esse Quam Videri

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:01 AM
I was the victim of major theft at the workshop some years ago. The thiefs stole tools, computers and whatever they could fit into an obviously large car to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. (And even more importantly disrupted daily operations for weeks and months after). Anyway, I got annoyed.

Clearly surveillance cameras didn't deter. I ended up getting ultrasonic pain field generators and an ion ray gun. The general idea being the ultrasonic to make any bad entrants feel quite uncomfortable on the premises without them knowing why, and the ion ray gun just for the heck of it - you're uncomfortable, your hair starts standing straight up, and whenever you want to grab and steal some earthed machinery you get an electrostatic disharge in the process... :P

In the end though I never installed it. Most likely me or other with causes to be there would fail to turn it off at some point, and thus the wrong people would end up at the business end of that. Not too mention firefighters and so on in case of emergencies off hours.

I've thought about simply copying the sign of a businessman with dubious connections further south in the country: "Theft is not reported. It is punished". As far as I know he has never had any issues with break-ins.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:36:19 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:05 AM
I was the victim of major theft at the workshop some years ago. The thiefs stole tools, computers and whatever they could fit into an obviously large car to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. (And even more importantly disrupted daily operations for weeks and months after). Anyway, I got annoyed.

Clearly surveillance cameras didn't deter. I ended up getting ultrasonic pain field generators and an ion ray gun. The general idea being the ultrasonic to make any bad entrants feel quite uncomfortable on the premises without them knowing why, and the ion ray gun just for the heck of it - you're uncomfortable, your hair starts standing straight up, and whenever you want to grab and steal some earthed machinery you get an electrostatic disharge in the process... :P

In the end though I never installed it. Most likely me or other with causes to be there would fail to turn it off at some point, and thus the wrong people would end up at the business end of that. Not too mention firefighters and so on in case of emergencies off hours.

I've thought about simply copying the sign of a businessman with dubious connections further south in the country: "Theft is not reported. It is punished". As far as I know he has never had any issues with break-ins.

Ultrasonic pain field and an ion ray gun... did you forget to throw an anal probe and space aliens in there somewhere or am I missing something?  :ahhh

:D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 09:59:45 AM
I usualy install this:
https://youtu.be/XMNlSQpE7Zo

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 01:27:01 PM
Years ago at a show I experienced one of the fog systems and I thought it was a great concept, but I had a few thoughts.

Most importantly- could it fill the area fast enough to keep the intruder from getting to an exit?  And if so, are you then liable for injuries to the intruder as he flails around looking for an exit, falls over something and breaks his leg?  Not to mention the damages to the computer equipment/display cases etc that he takes down as well.

I also thought that the system was too limited- the fog is a nice touch but the bad guy could still navigate by touch and memory and escape.  What you need to do is disorient them further by then having white noise, sirens, flashing lights, pre-recorded dogs barking etc playing randomly from different corners of the room so the intruder turns around repeatedly until they are completely lost and confused.

Speaking of dogs, given that they are able to navigate largely by sound and scent, I wonder how well a dog would be able to manage in a situation like that, obviously without the distracting sounds.  It could add yet another level of deterrent to have someone realize that once they are completely disoriented they could be then grabbed and dragged out by a police dog.   >:D

Imagine how upsetting sheer disorientation would be, then add in an unseen predatory animal grabbing you and dragging you off into the fog!  You could go a long way to solving break ins completely with systems like that! 

Def

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:05 PM
You should play some kind of a easy to notice sound from one direction, and when the smoke fills the room change that direction. Just for the added confusion. Also mantraps and pits with sharks with lazers on top!  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD