Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non- (Or at Least Less-Than) Lethal Weapons and Tools

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Non- (Or at Least Less-Than) Lethal Weapons and Tools
Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 01:58:13 PM
Years ago at a show I experienced one of the fog systems and I thought it was a great concept, but I had a few thoughts.

Most importantly- could it fill the area fast enough to keep the intruder from getting to an exit?  And if so, are you then liable for injuries to the intruder as he flails around looking for an exit, falls over something and breaks his leg?  Not to mention the damages to the computer equipment/display cases etc that he takes down as well.

I also thought that the system was too limited- the fog is a nice touch but the bad guy could still navigate by touch and memory and escape.  What you need to do is disorient them further by then having white noise, sirens, flashing lights, pre-recorded dogs barking etc playing randomly from different corners of the room so the intruder turns around repeatedly until they are completely lost and confused.

Speaking of dogs, given that they are able to navigate largely by sound and scent, I wonder how well a dog would be able to manage in a situation like that, obviously without the distracting sounds.  It could add yet another level of deterrent to have someone realize that once they are completely disoriented they could be then grabbed and dragged out by a police dog.   >:D

Imagine how upsetting sheer disorientation would be, then add in an unseen predatory animal grabbing you and dragging you off into the fog!  You could go a long way to solving break ins completely with systems like that! 

Def
Generaly, a burglar rushes inside, not memorising the room. Simply because they don't need to. They'll just need to know where the exit is.
The sheer panic will throw any remaining memorisation out the door.
Time: 3-4 sec. to fill a large gas station shop.
Escaping by touch? If you're in a room escape game, yes. If you're doing something illegal you won't be keeping your mind straight and just touch your way out.

A perfume store in my client list had a break-in last year.
Zero visibility in 2 seconds. The register wasn't touched yet it stands on the first row in the store.
In their panic they damaged stuff, but like my client stated: "insurance will cover it and at least those a-holes didn't get it. The surprise effect and the huge cloud moving towards you is just plain frightening. Not to mention the hissing sound of the gas release

Liability: is it your responsibility if a burglar misses a step because of a slippy doormat, and breaks his leg?

Keep in mind, installing this system is NOT meant to capture burglars! It's meant to protect the property/people by removing the ability to see, causing burglars/robbers to flee.

Dogs: a dog will not enter a room where the generator went off. Period.
The smoke and smell (a strange minty odour) raises to many red flags against the dog's instinct to go in.
At the same perfumer the police dog (which is highly trained I'd guess) simply went 'till the front door, barking.

And yes, we install a 120Db siren inside the room too ;)

As far as I can tell, not a single client  who had this system installed suffered from a break in where the intruders managed to get any loot.
This makes it the most effectice system we can legaly install just below the 10.000V wires we can mount behind the property fences, coupled to the system.

You'll get zapped of the fence and the alarm will be set off before you managed to get on the property.
Obviously this is only an option where you've got a private terrain and not just a small store in the middle of a city.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 02:00:49 PM
Ultrasonic pain field and an ion ray gun... did you forget to throw an anal probe and space aliens in there somewhere or am I missing something?  :ahhh

:D

Not sure where to find space alians (duh..  :facepalm: ..space of course..), but that anal probe seems like a good idea. What can I say - I was kind of annoyed...

I do like the fog concept, but likely for smaller areas like jewelry shops and such?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 04:52:57 PM
Ultrasonic pain field and an ion ray gun... did you forget to throw an anal probe and space aliens in there somewhere or am I missing something?  :ahhh

:D

Not sure where to find space alians (duh..  :facepalm: ..space of course..), but that anal probe seems like a good idea. What can I say - I was kind of annoyed...

I do like the fog concept, but likely for smaller areas like jewelry shops and such?
For large areas there's the possibility to mount multiple ceiling mounted generators.
A generator can keep running untill it's cartridge is empty, which is about 60sec. So a larger area can be filled with 1 generator but it'll take longer to do so.
Usualy when the time needed to gain zero visibility takes over 5-6sec., we opt to install a second generator opposite of the other.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 08:50:21 PM
I guess a few key questions about these smoke screens are whether or not the smoke itself might be a problem later on? Clothes, machines, electrics, computers? Swiss multi tools?  :ahhh

I assume it might trigger the fire alarm too, but that might just be a bonus.

Any rough idea of the costs?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 10:28:10 PM
I guess a few key questions about these smoke screens are whether or not the smoke itself might be a problem later on? Clothes, machines, electrics, computers? Swiss multi tools?  :ahhh

I assume it might trigger the fire alarm too, but that might just be a bonus.

Any rough idea of the costs?
It will trigger the fire alarm, yes.
It will NOT damage anything. The smoke is build from 2 components. One of them is alcohol.
This means the smoke will vanish in air after about 30-50min depending on the amount of ventilation.

Cost installed by the company I work for is around €2000 which will include the all around intrusion detection, sirens, keypad, etc IF all the cables are already in place.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 05:29:29 PM
The fog systems are neat and adding in disorienting sounds is that much better.  Is the hopes the police make it to the property to arrest the burglar?  I think a "safe" room would also be a good idea in a store setting.  Are automatic locks for the exits part of the system?  I'd imagine one burglar would be able to escape?   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 06:12:31 PM

The fog systems are neat and adding in disorienting sounds is that much better.  Is the hopes the police make it to the property to arrest the burglar?  I think a "safe" room would also be a good idea in a store setting.  Are automatic locks for the exits part of the system?  I'd imagine one burglar would be able to escape?   

The goal is to send them running because of the panic reaction or at least making it impossible for them to grab anything.
They simply don't expect this to happen.
Doors remain open for 2 reasons:
1) Never corner an armed criminal when you've got nothing to fend with (this is Europe, no guns)
2) the law states that you are not allowed to install an automated system that will make it harder for emergency services to enter your building. Which means that the fog system is not completely in sync with the law either, but it's an approved one (just like high voltage wires installed by a speSmurfpillsed company)

So yes, the burglar/robber can run but at least you live to tell about it and he robbed nothing from you.
Even when caught, they'll probably be out the next day. Trial will start 2-3 years later and he'll get 3 years in jail... with 3 years of probation. Which means if he does something else somewhere in the next 3 years, he'll go to jail. Otherwise he's free to go.
If he missbehaves withing these 3 years he'll go to jail, but if he's a good guy there, he can apply for an early leave after 1/3 of his scentence which means he'd be out in a year.

If you shoot him in your store (when you're a rare case who has a gun license) you're guaranteed to go to jail for about 8-10 years... if he survived, that is.

Yes! Our legal system is crazy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:02 PM
Thanks for the explanation.  I have no opinion honestly in how other states let alone countries make their laws.   
I am a firm believer in dogs for security.  Many in areas of my city use dogs to guard their homes.  In a business setting however, not so sure that works.   The fog is a good idea.     
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 07:35:41 PM
while I am partial to the pepper spray myself, let's not ignore the possinility of using your multitool as a fist load, or, if opened (especially the flicker models), as a kubaton or pressure point made of solid steel

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:42 PM
while I am partial to the pepper spray myself, let's not ignore the possinility of using your multitool as a fist load, or, if opened (especially the flicker models), as a kubaton or pressure point made of solid steel

(Image removed from quote.)

Definitely better than nothing if you find yourself in such a situation  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 09:11:13 PM
Thanks for the explanation.  I have no opinion honestly in how other states let alone countries make their laws.   
I am a firm believer in dogs for security.  Many in areas of my city use dogs to guard their homes.  In a business setting however, not so sure that works.   The fog is a good idea.   
Yes, I meet alot of people who tell me the same.
But when I ask them "if you're on vacation for 2 weeks, the dog stays home by himself?"  it usualy gets awfully quiet :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:21 PM
Are automatic locks for the exits part of the system?  I'd imagine one burglar would be able to escape?
I imagine that would conflict with fire safety regulations.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 06:14:06 AM
Are automatic locks for the exits part of the system?  I'd imagine one burglar would be able to escape?
I imagine that would conflict with fire safety regulations.

My line of thinking was apprehension.  I can see why this would not make sense in many aspects.  I guess as long as merchandise was not taken and more importantly no one was hurt would be more important. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 08:00:00 PM
Just order a Fast Strike (http://faststrikedefense.com/about/), I'd give it a review after some testing.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:47 PM
Its good to have the option to use less lethal force if the situation dictates

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 10:43:05 PM
Is that a sex toy?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:10 PM
 :facepalm: Such a blunt way to put it.

I was thinking giant Fisher Bullet or giant sharpie kind of marker. :angel:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:33 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 07:27:24 PM

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:13 PM
It does look a lot like a horny remover I saw once. (That is an underutilized and possibly unrecognized term outside of a translating company in China. They apparently work for a company making lots of horny removers. Horns must be a big issue in China?  :P)

Might be used for podging too?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:04:19 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 03:35:16 AM
I have a friend that in college carried a, uhm, irr... marital aid? Yeah, that is the euphemism I want. Heavy, floppy, about a foot and half long, and built for two. Very, uhm, mushroomy. She could put that in her bag, and if anyone saw it, they'd be too embarrassed to say anything, but it was her defense tool. It would have hit like a length of inch and a half rubber hose filled with sand. And probably left very distinctive bruises.

About the head and neck.

Very hard bruises to explain.

Saw her over the weekend and then I saw the thread had updated. She is as fiesty as she is short- and she lies when she says she's 4'10".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:39:21 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 04:59:23 AM
I have a friend that in college carried a, uhm, irr... marital aid? Yeah, that is the euphemism I want. Heavy, floppy, about a foot and half long, and built for two. Very, uhm, mushroomy. She could put that in her bag, and if anyone saw it, they'd be too embarrassed to say anything, but it was her defense tool. It would have hit like a length of inch and a half rubber hose filled with sand. And probably left very distinctive bruises.

About the head and neck.

Saw her over the weekend and then I saw the thread had updated. She is as fiesty as she is short- and she lies when she says she's 4'10".

Is she available?  :pok:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 05:19:08 AM
I carry... No, Raven, NOT a giant rubbery 'pal'.

I carry pepper spray. It might work against humans, but did nothing against pitbulls.

Given my 'druthers, I'd have carried a collapsible baton. But, as others have said, I'm licensed and allowed to carry a frickin pistol, but NOT a collapsible baton.

I'm very seriously considering getting a walking stick.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 05:32:19 AM
I carry... No, Raven, NOT a giant rubbery 'pal'.

I carry pepper spray. It might work against humans, but did nothing against pitbulls.

Given my 'druthers, I'd have carried a collapsible baton. But, as others have said, I'm licensed and allowed to carry a frickin pistol, but NOT a collapsible baton.

I'm very seriously considering getting a walking stick.

Cold Steel has a line of walking sticks (and a shillelagh!) that should be a nasty surprise for an attacker.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:08 AM

About the head and neck.

A foot and a half long? I feel so inadequate...  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 12:34:36 PM

About the head and neck.

:shrug:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:16 PM

About the head and neck.

:shrug:
45cm

All hail the hook!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #58 on: November 30, 2017, 01:41:44 PM

About the head and neck.

:rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 03:06:44 PM
 :rofl: "leave very distinctive bruises"

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds