Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Annual "Winter" camping trip: Damaraland this time

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
My Dutch friend lands tomorrow morning, and Sunday morning not too early we hit the road, North Western Namibia this time instead of the South.  8)

First stop will be Wilhelmstal for a coffee and some of the legendary "boere wors" (traditional homemade sausage)....and most likely some more biltong.

First night will be spent at Brandberg White Lady lodge with likely a drive up the river to go look for the elephants.....that's if they're not in the camp  :rofl:

Second day we're driving to the general Twyfelfontein area, we're going to decide between Abu Huab camp or !Xarago camp depending which we like the most, and that will be our base for the next 2/3 days while we do day trips.

We're definitely driving up the Huab river in search of the lion and elephant, and the paln is to make a day of that trip and do lunch somewhere upriver.

"Winter" is in hyphens because it topped out at 36C in that area last week, so I think the weather will determine or route home to a large extent.

At this stage the options are a North Easterly loop with the last night spent at Mount Etjo, or a Westerly loop that would take us to the coast to cool down, with the last night camping at the Spitzkoppe.

I got some tips and hand-drawn maps from people that have  explored most of Damaraland and Kaokoland their whole lives, and I'm very excited to try some of the scenic shortcuts.

It will be just the two of us and only one vehicle, so the trick is going to be taking acceptable risks.  :gimme:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Annual "Winter" camping trip: Damaraland this time
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:23 PM
Sounds like alot of fun!
Nate

SEND IT!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:47:45 PM
It sure is outside my sphere of experience.
36C in winter?

Have a good trip!  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:54:44 PM
 :popcorn:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:13:02 PM
36C in winter?

Mine as well- we hit 36C in the height of summer!   :ahhh

I can't wait to see the pics Gerhard!  Once again I am seriously envious of your adventures!  It seems so odd to me that you consider elephants a nuisance at camp.... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:26:31 PM
36C in winter?

Mine as well- we hit 36C in the height of summer!   :ahhh

I can't wait to see the pics Gerhard!  Once again I am seriously envious of your adventures!  It seems so odd to me that you consider elephants a nuisance at camp.... :D

Def
You Canadians are great, 36C in summer and -36C in winter?  :o :P
On our little island, we rarely go below -5C or over 30C.

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:38:23 PM
Pictures to follow for sure  :salute:

Grant, last time I was at White Lady I left home a bit late, took the scenic route and arrived late, about 20:30 in total darkness.

There's a small restaurant at the reception building, and while I was paying there was a commotion in the restaurant.

When I was done I walked over to have a look, everybody in the restaurant were gathered at the windows, I looked and at first didn't even notice the big slightly darker spot........less that 4m away a huge old bull was standing in the garden, and as I watched he used his trunk to break the water feature to smurf and have a drink of water  :rofl:

These are desert acclimated elephants and they regularly walk through the camp, only a danger to stupid people  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:28:01 PM
Sounds like an awesome time and take plenty of pics and tell us about it when you get back :dd: Can't wait to hear about it buddy :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:52:30 PM
Sounds like a good place for solar chargers and similar? :think:

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:05:52 PM
Pictures to follow for sure :salute:

Grant, last time I was at White Lady I left home a bit late, took the scenic route and arrived late, about 20:30 in total darkness.

There's a small restaurant at the reception building, and while I was paying there was a commotion in the restaurant.

When I was done I walked over to have a look, everybody in the restaurant were gathered at the windows, I looked and at first didn't even notice the big slightly darker spot........less that 4m away a huge old bull was standing in the garden, and as I watched he used his trunk to break the water feature to smurf and have a drink of water  :rofl:

These are desert acclimated elephants and they regularly walk through the camp, only a danger to stupid people  :salute:

I'd love to see those pics.  Sounds excellent. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:06 PM
Sounds great mate,look forward to pics  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 03:45:37 PM
Yet another wonderful adventure.  Any chance of a gear list?  I love hearing about what one takes and what ends up being used. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:38:32 PM
 :facepalm:

Hot & dusty.........weather and moods.

I have about 100 photos, will try and cherry pick the best ones.

We had a few highlights, first was on the first morning of the trip as we were leaving the Brandberg White Lady lodge, they have a track (10km?) scenic route to the lodge, and on the way out we came across a guy walking the other way......no water, no hat.
No surprise a tourist......and they got stuck.

There was no space so he stood on the rear bumper back to their 4x4 doublecab Toyota Hilux  :facepalm:
They'd gone offroad for some photos and on the way back hung up the Hilux on the front right and left rear wheel......built a see-saw  :rofl:
Problem was obvious but they didn't know and I couldn't find where to engage the diff locks, and I wasn't willing to try and snatch or tow a vehicle more than twice the weight of my own.....so plan B.

My companion took the wheel since the man was no more use than the blond bombshell with him.
Engaged low range and I climbed onto the front left of the bumper causing the nose to dip......by the 3rd dip she got the timing right, wheel got traction and she simply drove out.

WHAT A TEAM  :rofl:

It all went rather downhill from there, thanks to the good late rains the animals we expected to see had moved, it was very hot and dusty in my Suzuki, no AC and a zillion places for dust to get in  :facepalm:

The parts that I enjoyed were also major reason for blow-ups - the 4wd tracks  :facepalm:

I admit, these are very remote areas, and ideally there should be more than one vehicle,  but  otherwise I was as prepared as can be and all's well that ends well I guess.

These two excursions also provided the only animal sightings we had, desert Giraffe somewhere close to the middle of the Doros Crater 4wd track.

We went offroad to Bloedkopje and Mount Tinkas on the last day, and we were incredibly lucky to see an Aardvark on the plain in broad daylight.  We approached from down-wind and got pretty close, also got video of the animal inside it's burrow.

The trip was a bit of a bust, and to confirm my bachelor status I now know that 99% of women would not be happy in my Suzuki going places.

I did however get a brief glimpse of another part of my country, and found several places that could do with some serious exploration and wild camping.

As I was told and now understand, they secret to enjoying Damaraland is being willing and able to wild camp.

Pics to follow  :salute: 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:14 PM
It sounds like you had a great time!  I'm not sure I have ever heard the words "only" and "giraffe" in the same sentence before though!  It seems odd to me that anyone would be so blase about only seeing a giraffe!  Personally, I think I would wet myself at last a little bit if I saw a real, live giraffe in the wild!

And an anteater too!  Did he sound like Jackie Mason?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 01:00:35 PM
Gerhard Gerber, you are now my new hero. That sounds like it would have been a blast! Can't wait til you post some pics. Also thanks for sharing.
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:12 PM
Looking forward to the pics.   :)   Bit sad I am no longer Nate's hero though.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:25 PM
No, you my friend, are a legend. :salute:
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 01:10:00 PM
Thanks for the reality check Grant! :cheers:

Even worse considering it was a small heard?  :rofl:

The Aardvark was a unique sighting, just seeing it run was treat, I'll try to post video but it was a bit far away.

Personally I was hoping we'd see the elephants, from the Desert Lions FB page and photos they posted I knew we'd be lucky to even spot lions.

I think what bothered me personally is the lack of Oryx and Springbok, I expect to see them just about everywhere...

I'm not a full-blown twitcher, but I suspect birders could have quite a time in some of the camps.

>:D I do have a video of a girl lighting a fire with a Mora Bushcraft & ferro rod that I would like to share on MTO exclusively........for health reasons  :rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 01:14:46 PM
No, you my friend, are a legend. :salute:

:woohoo:

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:15:02 PM
Gerhard Gerber, you are now my new hero. That sounds like it would have been a blast! Can't wait til you post some pics. Also thanks for sharing.

Always a pleasure Nate, only delayed by time and bandwidth  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 01:44:51 PM
Yet another wonderful adventure.  Any chance of a gear list?  I love hearing about what one takes and what ends up being used.

I'll give it a try.....

1. 2 x original (crappy) tyres that were on the car at purchase. I'd hoped to have 2 spare tyres but couldn't get a rim in time, so my thinking was due to the size difference I would need two.  Huge hassle and fortunately unnecessary.   

2. 6kg LPG gas burner

3. 15L and 2 x 10L drinking water, not really enough for emergencies but space was limited.

4. 1 x tent, 2 x stretchers, camping mattresses, sleeping bags and misc. bedding. Had my hammock along but never used it, slept on a stretcher with a mozzie net and she in the tent on a stretcher.

5. 2 x 40L coolboxes amd 2 x 15L coolboxes.  One 40L basically acted as an ice reservoir, big blocks and a few beers to fill the spaces. 2nd 40L had the meat and other foods that needed to stay cool. 

6. 2 x folding chairs, 1 x folding table.

7. Camping box containing complete eating utensils for 4 persons, all stainless steel.  About 10 spices, oils, lemon juice etc etc for cooking. Kettle, french press and coffee/tee requirements.  Kit with all dish-washing necessities.  Kit with a brass candle lantern and various fire starters (no longer used).  Big pan normally used for breakfast or stir fry.

8. Stand and grid for BBQ.......one or two bags of wood depending on where we were.

9. 2 bags with our clothes and stuff.

10.  12V wheel pump.

11. Tool bag with all relevant tools......temporary bag to save space and weight....not much used for a RJ45 crimping tool out there....

12.  Under my seat is a permanent kit with puncture repair kit, folding saw, Mora 511, ferro rod, emergency triangles, tow ropes, etc etc.

13. Only other thing I had was a small backpack with my .357 and a few other things.

...edit...

14. Jerry can with 20L petrol
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:03:39 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 09:57:23 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 10:04:30 PM
The middle of smurfing nowhere........highly upsetting to Europeans  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:35 AM
I'd say that the scenery is beautiful, but I'm not sure I see any on those photos!   :D

Seriously, it looks amazingly cool there.  I'd love to load up some supplies and drive across the savannah like that, although I'm not sure I'd ever bother to come back!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 03:23:34 AM
I'd say that the scenery is beautiful, but I'm not sure I see any on those photos!   :D

Seriously, it looks amazingly cool there.  I'd love to load up some supplies and drive across the savannah like that, although I'm not sure I'd ever bother to come back!   :ahhh

Def
Exactly! I don't know about the Europeans, but that would make this Ohioian happy. Beautiful pics man.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:25:07 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:19 AM
That remark was a bit tongue in cheek, but many people are freaked out by the vast openness. In this case my companion was worried because we were driving solo.

True enough there are parts close to this spot where it's advisable to be at least two vehicles.

Apologies, I don't mean to tease with the photos, there are many more I want to share but it seems the TinyPic hosting site is stuffed, managed these two and all the others failed.

Any alternatives  you can recommend that are free and don't require sign-up would be welcome.

I've realised I failed a bit in my research, I need to go back and get lost in that area, Desolation Valley as well as driving up the rivers in search of the Elephant and desert Lion.
Not to be negative, I might be living in the least corrupt African country, but corruption is rife, and just last week a "farmer and businessman" shot 6 lions most likely from Etosha National Park.  Same P-O-S that got a multi-million tender to erect a fence between their farms and the national park.  >:(

Point being I want to see them before they are gone :cry:

Upside is I couldn't have done it this trip, but I have a good friend that also wants to get lost there. :gimme:

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 10:56:38 PM
Testing.....

Brandberg White Lady Lodge first morning:

free uploader

• No Life Club

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:07 PM
Desert Giraffe

picture uploading

The Organ Pipes

image sharing sites

gif uploader

German war graves

img

Camp !Xarago view point selfie

images upload

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:33 PM
I can honest;y say that I would love to get lost there myself!  And hopefully never be found again, especially with a pretty little lady!  I'm a bit surprised that you came back!  :D

It is simply gorgeous there!  Thanks for the photos!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%