Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on Leatherman Signal or SAK Outrider or ?? for EDC?

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

I'm torn on which to get. They're all roughly the same weight and size. I plan on carrying it on my car/house keychain.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
depends on whether you value scissors or pliers more for daily utility but I think they're both too big for key chain carry.

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

depends on whether you value scissors or pliers more for daily utility but I think they're both too big for key chain carry.

I carry a SAK Huntsman, Kershaw Whirlwind, and a Leatherman Wave (I sent it off for repairs, haven't had it for a good week or two).

I wanted to condense it all for some lighter carry, maybe carry a flash light/zippo or something to make fire.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Get a Victorinox Spirit... it has all the tools in a frame that is smaller than the Wave.

Signal
Personally, I'm a fan of the Signal.
Pro:
- hammer
- bit-holder
- beefy blade
- 1/4" hole where the bit extender fits.
Con
- Limited tool selection (no prying tool, no scissors)
- Semi serrated blade, its beefiness also makes it a poor slicer.
- Bits cannot be replaced individually
- Plastic thingies are useless

Outrider
Not a big fan of the 111mm series
Pro:
- long Phillips driver
- Scissors
Con:
- Limited Tool selection
- No pliers
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

Get a Victorinox Spirit... it has all the tools in a frame that is smaller than the Wave.

Signal
Personally, I'm a fan of the Signal.
Pro:
- hammer
- bit-holder
- beefy blade
- 1/4" hole where the bit extender fits.
Con
- Limited tool selection (no prying tool, no scissors)
- Semi serrated blade, its beefiness also makes it a poor slicer.
- Bits cannot be replaced individually
- Plastic thingies are useless

Outrider
Not a big fan of the 111mm series
Pro:
- long Phillips driver
- Scissors
Con:
- Limited Tool selection
- No pliers

Would you recommend something different from those two?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Yes, a SPIRIT

It has every tool you might need and is smaller than the Signal or the Wave (to be precise it is slimmer/thinner). Get the bit kit with it and you can tackle any task.
Con
- Can get slippery when you have greasy hands
- No OHO

Pro
- Great tool selection in great quality
- No sharp and hard edges, very comfortable to use
- Simply the BEST
- All outside tools
- Long tools (screwdrivers with good reach)

Small and very capable, but no pliers: Victorinox Pioneer X

You could also consider to add a Victorinox Classic to the Signal, adding small but good scissors.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:59:42 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Here, some size comparison pictures

Classic, Pioneer X, Wave, Signal, Spirit
top.jpg
* top.jpg (Filesize: 105.07 KB)
side.jpg
* side.jpg (Filesize: 35.92 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
I agree with Eth about the Spirit. It is one of my favorite tools. Or, you might just continue to carry your Huntsman by itself for a while and see if you really miss the pliers.  I often carry a huntsman, paired with a smaller MT such as a Skeletool for the light use pliers and a pretty nice one hand opening blade, saving the Huntsman's blades for more delicate work such as food prep.  If you don't think the Huntsman has enough tools you can step up to a something like a Ranger.

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

Yes, a SPIRIT
You could also consider to add a Victorinox Classic to the Signal, adding small but good scissors.

Oops, sorry didn't even see that in the last post.I'll give it a look thanks :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Yes, a SPIRIT

Oops, sorry didn't even see that in the last post.I'll give it a look thanks :D
No problem, it is really nice tool.

Offline Watch_Box

• New User
Here, some size comparison pictures

Classic, Pioneer X, Wave, Signal, Spirit
Love those silver alox. Waiting on a minichamp alox right mow. Will send some pics once I get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

I've been watching videos off and on all day and I like the Spirit. The biggest thing I don't like is the slide lock and the scissors. The only real tools I use on my Huntsman are the scissors and the small blade. I use my Kershaw for anything I need a big blade for. And my wave for usually only the bit driver (I like holding the wave in a L shape) and the pliers (I wish it had replaceable plier cutting bits). I also broke the tip off my wave's main blade years ago, which is why I started carrying the Kershaw.

As far as the plastic stuff on the Signal, are they really that bad? Do they break easily? What about a Skeletool (normal or CX)?

I plan on keeping whatever tool I get in my pocket with keys pref. on a key ring. Will the spirit get scratched up easily? Weight isn't that big of a deal with all the stuff I carry now if I can drop it down to a single do-all it'd free up room in other pockets :)

Will the black XBS be better for scratches?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:34:22 AM by JazzPorcupine »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
A Spirit won't readily attach to keys

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
A Spirit won't readily attach to keys
If you have a surge, his own gravity field will keep the keys close.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I'm torn on which to get. They're all roughly the same weight and size. I plan on carrying it on my car/house keychain.

On a completely different tangent, I'm going to suggest you have very little on your car keys.  Anything heavy will accelerate wear on your car's ignition lock, possibly leading to a "failure to proceed" (often at a most inconvenient time, and sometimes at great expense).  Many people find this out the hard way.

On your house keys, go with whatever is useful and convenient (and practical) for you.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:51:43 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
So from what I am reading thus far, you like the bit driver on the Wave and pliers.  You also use the Kershaw blade for most everything.  I'd say the Skeletool might be right up your alley.  Its a very polarizing tool however, some love it ( Kam ) and others do not. 

If you can get one in hand that would be great.  I didn't really get along with it but that in no way detract from the tool.   The Skeletool CX might be the way to go since the blade is a pretty darn good steel ( if that means something to you ). 

As far as the scissors tho,  :think:.  Now just an idea of course.  Maybe look at the SAK Explorer Plus?  Maybe the Compact?
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

So from what I am reading thus far, you like the bit driver on the Wave and pliers.  You also use the Kershaw blade for most everything.  I'd say the Skeletool might be right up your alley.  Its a very polarizing tool however, some love it ( Kam ) and others do not. 

If you can get one in hand that would be great.  I didn't really get along with it but that in no way detract from the tool.   The Skeletool CX might be the way to go since the blade is a pretty darn good steel ( if that means something to you ). 

As far as the scissors tho,  :think:.  Now just an idea of course.  Maybe look at the SAK Explorer Plus?  Maybe the Compact?

I just won a used - like new condition - Skeletool (non CX) on Ebay for $30. I'll see how it goes for a while after I get it. The scissors are a real bummer, if the Skeletool had scissors and a blade I think i'd have bought as soon as I saw it.

If I do end up getting the Spirit, it'll probably be the XBS with the black steel. I was watching some videos and when you scratch it it's black throughout instead of just a surface paint. Unfortunately it's 2x the price of a regular Spirit X.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The Spirit is a really terrific tool.  The durability of the shiny body is non issue.  I don't have much experience with the black ones.  I have the one with the "butter blade", its a really versatile tool as well.  Now heres the rub for me, its the scissors.  I am not sure why they scissors on that tool are not standard VIC scissors  :think:

Here in the forum a member ( mrynnr ) made an adjustment to hers which seems to make a difference.  The issue is the opening of the scissors, or lack thereof.  In my case that lack of opening resulted in a failed attempt to cut canvass however my SAK had zero issues. 

Truth is tho I am in the minority when it comes to my complaint of the Spirits scissors.  The tool on the whole has earned its reputation as a "one and done" multitool.  No other tool has as much depth ( variety of implements ) and no other tool has the fit and finish, wobble aside  ;) as the Spirit.  The warranty is on par with all the best warranties as well. 

It is a tool that any and all MT lovers should own.  The bigger brother ( Swisstool ) is also a wonderful tool as well.  Not as ergonomic as the Spirit but no less amazing.

I hope the Skeletool works out however I suspect the Spirit will follow  :tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

The Spirit is a really terrific tool.  The durability of the shiny body is non issue.  I don't have much experience with the black ones.  I have the one with the "butter blade", its a really versatile tool as well.  Now heres the rub for me, its the scissors.  I am not sure why they scissors on that tool are not standard VIC scissors  :think:

Here in the forum a member ( mrynnr ) made an adjustment to hers which seems to make a difference.  The issue is the opening of the scissors, or lack thereof.  In my case that lack of opening resulted in a failed attempt to cut canvass however my SAK had zero issues. 

Truth is tho I am in the minority when it comes to my complaint of the Spirits scissors.  The tool on the whole has earned its reputation as a "one and done" multitool.  No other tool has as much depth ( variety of implements ) and no other tool has the fit and finish, wobble aside  ;) as the Spirit.  The warranty is on par with all the best warranties as well. 

It is a tool that any and all MT lovers should own.  The bigger brother ( Swisstool ) is also a wonderful tool as well.  Not as ergonomic as the Spirit but no less amazing.

I hope the Skeletool works out however I suspect the Spirit will follow  :tu:

I looked at the regular Swiss Tool as well, it looks a lot like my old Leatherman Super Tool, which I think has been sitting in the trunk of my car for the past decade+.  I was looking at the other Victorinox knives, the 111mm ones with the curved handles. The Hunter looks really nice, the Outrider looks too thick (like the same thickness as my Huntsman) but has the scissors. I also liked the one handed non-serrated Trekker. Someone mentioned that all the 2017 versions of these are liner lock (big plus). I also looked at the Gerber Crucial but I've read a lot of bad things about the quality?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
If I had no SAKs or multis at all, I'd start the collection by buying a Spirit myself.

It truly is the ultimate tool in my book.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%