Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've got my phone back.... sort of....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I've got my phone back.... sort of....
on: May 13, 2017, 10:51:01 PM
Last week without warning my phone screen died  The phone continued working, but without a functioning screen it was largely useless..  It's a Samsung S5 Neo that I bought last January to replace my S5 that also had the screen die while the remainder of the phone was still working.  That one turned out to have microscopic cracks in the screen, and it was several years old, so no surprise that it was time to replace it.

Anyways, this one just worked and then stopped working, with no warning.  I took it to the store I bought it from and they gave me a regular S5 as a loaner until mine could be repaired.  No problem.  It was fun revisiting the 90's when a phone was just for making and receiving calls.  I'm far too paranoid to sign into any of my accounts on a phone that isn't mine...  :ahhh

Shortly after I left the shop I got a text from the phone company with a link to check the repair status, the repair number etc, which I thought was nice.  The woman at the store told me it would be a few days, but the link was saying the 17th for an estimated repair date.  Oh well, it's a minor inconvenience.  I can wait.

Then two days later the date changed to the 18th.  Again, not a big deal, but it makes me wonder if there's something going on.  But, I settled in for the wait, and a few hours later I got a message telling me my phone was repaired and ready.  Pretty cool I thought, so I went to the store to get it.

On the way to the store I get a call from the store telling me it's in, so I told them I was already on the way and that I'd be there in a few minutes.  When I arrived I was told that there had been some difficulty- Samsung had determined that the main board needed to be replaced, and as they did that they broke the screen.   :facepalm:

So, I have a new main board and a new screen, which I think means I have pretty much a brand new phone, doesn't it?  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: I've got my phone back.... sort of....
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:39:48 AM
As long as you didn't have stuff you wanted to keep on it then all sounds good :tu: Otherwise :facepalm: :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:08 AM
As long as you didn't have stuff you wanted to keep on it then all sounds good :tu: Otherwise :facepalm: :D
+1.  :drink:

Not a new phone unless it has a new battery.
Just sayin'.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
It's the same 4 month old battery, and case, so I guess it's the old phone then.

As for losing stuff, yeah, I lost some texts and phone numbers but it works again, and those numbers and texts aren't the end of the world.  Inconvenient, but I'll live.... somehow....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:39 AM
Loosing data on a phone can be very frustrating... I hope you made a back up of your data before sending it in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:37:12 PM
Most of my stuff (emails, photos etc) is backed up to Google.  There are a few contact numbers that haven't made it to Google, so those are lost, and text messages are gone because they don't get backed up, so not the end of the world.   Not too much in those that is worth backing up anyway.

Basically some slightly inconvenient stuff, but nothing Earth shattering.

Def

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 01:06:41 PM
Happy 1/2 new phone, 2/3rd rds even?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 01:10:49 PM
My phone has been getting repaired for the past 2 months... I can get parts faster than Lenovo Greece....  (regional repair centre, apparently)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 03:01:05 PM
My phone has been getting repaired for the past 2 months... I can get parts faster than Lenovo Greece....  (regional repair centre, apparently)

Wow... are they being sent by rowboat?   :ahhh

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 03:52:32 PM
probably they are handmade by craftsmen......

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
I think for that kind of wait I'd have just bought another phone.  By the time you get it back it'll be outdated anyway....

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:22:29 PM
The price has gone down by $20   :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%