Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber DimE?

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Gerber DimE?
on: May 14, 2017, 06:26:13 AM
No build pictures as I started last weekend and broke the head off the screws. Got pissed and promptly bought a used one from ebay.
The doner unit arrived today. Alot of assemble, test, dissemble, make adjustments, reassemble. The final result is a merging of a Leatherman E4 and a Gerber Dime.

The E4 file replaced the scissors. The E4 phillips and flat blade replaced same. And finally the pliers were replaced with the E4 wirestrippers. Because of how the Dime springs were made I couldn't use the springs from the E4.

IMG_0391.jpeg
* IMG_0391.jpeg (Filesize: 116.15 KB)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:27:25 AM by MusicMen »
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Gerber DimE?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:57:56 AM
So you used the backsprings and handles of the Dime :think: anything else :shrug: What advantages were gained from this mod :think: Glad you did this as it is cool to see that it can be done :like: just could you elaborate on it :tu: :like:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:46 AM
This was done mostly to see if I could put the  Leatherman wire strippers on something else. I like the style and colors of the Dime so I thought I would try. The wire strippers did not require any changes. The phillips and the flat blade did require some changes to rotate and lock properly. I had already done the file mod. This time it went in the scissors spot instead of where the screwdrivers are located. The knife and package opener are original. So basically one handel is original tools and the other is E4 tools.

The most important part of all of this is I now have a tool that I wanted to create. :like:  Gerber doesn't make a rea$onable wire stripper. So I made one. I now have a Style ES and a Gerber DimE. Whatever MT I carry that day I have a wirestripper to complement it. Just need to figure out how do something with a Victorinox.   :think:

After the build pix. Let me know if you have any other questions.
IMG_0389.jpeg
* IMG_0389.jpeg (Filesize: 122.51 KB)
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
*=mod

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:05:34 AM
The only superior tool on the dime is the bottle opener, which you kept. The one on the squirts is a bit rubbish.
So, you improved the squirt, by adding a decent bottle opener.   A definitely worthy upgrade.  It is a shame you had to keep the pliers spring of the dime.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:53:24 PM
Thanks for the reply :tu: It is a great mod and if it is something you built for your purposes then it is even better 8) Great job :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:15:47 PM
Good job MM !    :like: :tu:

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:50 PM
Outlet repair. Evcen got to use my Gerber DimE!

Just saw your DimE in use over on the other thread---very cool tool!  I have a PS4 on my keychain because I like the overall tool better, but I always have a Dime in my backpack because I like the package opener and bottle opener.  Looks like you got the best of both!

From your build description, it sounds like the stripper head was pretty much a drop-in replacement.....any advice for someone looking to try the same thing?

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 03:43:34 AM
Outlet repair. Evcen got to use my Gerber DimE!

From your build description, it sounds like the stripper head was pretty much a drop-in replacement.....any advice for someone looking to try the same thing?
The stripper head is drop in but you can not use the springs from the E(S)4. As the springs are built into the Dime plier head you loose that spring also. Most important thing is to heat the screws before you try to loosen them. The LockTite is very strong and if you do not heat the screws you will tear the screw heads right off. (ask me how I know  ::)  )
*=mod

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:17 AM
 :tu:

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
Great work! How about combining Leatherman or Gerber mini pliers with Victorinox 58mm tools?

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD