Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nespresso? Of course!

kirk13 · 52 · 2031

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Nespresso? Of course!
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 02:25:40 PM
Day #8 of our ascent of the Matterhorn: We're out of chocolate powder. We've set up camp until Gary gets back with resupply. I'm not taking another damned step until I get my cappucino.
Oi, you are a bit outdated mate... Gary brought his Handpresso machine, makes excellent espresso and is super light. The milk is from mountain goats that Heidi milked of course.

Not kidding, that is really a thing. Rather popular among outdoor enthusiasts here.
(Image removed from quote.)

Comes with a wicked cool case :P:

And to think we were worried about pre-muddied jeans!
So you put in hot water and pump it through the coffee capsule?  :think:
Seems like a cool concept actually.
It is a cool gadget. However, the outdoor crowd is all about weight. They buy titanium tent spikes at premium prices to save some weight, then they buy this?
Ultimately, I think people only bring it on short, day-trips to show off.
And who needs coffee anyway on trips?  :cheers:

I like (the taste of) coffee alright but black tea all the way for me, babeh  :drink:

I need coffee!

You're addicted!  ;)  :) How do you make coffee on the go (assuming you don't have a thermos)?

Show content
On a semi-related note, I was once told alpinists prefer tea because it keeps you going for longer than coffee and it's effect doesn't wear off as abruptly, plus tea keeps us hydrated. I have no idea if it's true or not but based on my experience it might very well be.
Show content
Coffee is mostly water, I see no reason for it to NOT hydrate you. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 02:35:00 PM
Day #8 of our ascent of the Matterhorn: We're out of chocolate powder. We've set up camp until Gary gets back with resupply. I'm not taking another damned step until I get my cappucino.
Oi, you are a bit outdated mate... Gary brought his Handpresso machine, makes excellent espresso and is super light. The milk is from mountain goats that Heidi milked of course.

Not kidding, that is really a thing. Rather popular among outdoor enthusiasts here.

It is a cool gadget. However, the outdoor crowd is all about weight. They buy titanium tent spikes at premium prices to save some weight, then they buy this?

I like (the taste of) coffee alright but black tea all the way for me, babeh  :drink:

I need coffee!

You're addicted!  ;)  :) How do you make coffee on the go (assuming you don't have a thermos)?

Show content
On a semi-related note, I was once told alpinists prefer tea because it keeps you going for longer than coffee and it's effect doesn't wear off as abruptly, plus tea keeps us hydrated. I have no idea if it's true or not but based on my experience it might very well be.
Show content

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 02:43:24 PM

I need coffee!

Show content
Show content

Show content
Based on my experience, as I said already  :)  I have no scientific proof.

However, I can assure you that if I'm going to be walking around in temperatures bordering 40 degrees Celsius, as is often the case here, I'll probably avoid coffee as much as possible as it makes me thirsty.  :ahhh
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline redmond

Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:04 PM
I live in Starbucks City (Seattle area). You can't throw a rock and not hit some kind of coffee shop. Caffeine addiction is their business plan...

Tea contains caffeine and theophylline. The latter is a bronchodialator and helps you breathe better. Grandma was right when she made you tea when you had a cold/asthma.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:55:34 PM by redmond »
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

gr Offline firiki

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:50 PM

I need coffee!

Show content
Show content

Ah, the classic moka pot. Yes, it can make good coffee if you don't let it singe the taste.

Another interesting way would be this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_flip_coffee_pot

although, to be honest, if the coffee is good I pretty much prefer this method, which is also much simpler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee (it's also the only case when I might actually want a wee bit of sugar in my coffee ,too).

gr Offline firiki

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
We broke the nested quotes limit?! :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 03:17:38 PM
Ah, the classic moka pot. Yes, it can make good coffee if you don't let it singe the taste.

Another interesting way would be this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_flip_coffee_pot

although, to be honest, if the coffee is good I pretty much prefer this method, which is also much simpler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee (it's also the only case when I might actually want a wee bit of sugar in my coffee ,too).

Yeah I'm very down with the turkish coffee pot.   :tu:   :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 03:18:06 PM

Whoey fixed it.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 03:21:29 PM
I live in Starbucks City (Seattle area). You can't throw a rock and not hit some kind of coffee shop. Caffeine addiction is their business plan...

Tea contains caffeine and theophylline. The latter is a bronchodialator and helps you breathe better. Grandma was right when she made you tea when you had a cold/asthma.

I wouldn't consider most of the concoctions Starbucks serve as coffee, though, but rather as something that contains coffee as well :whistle:

As for theophylline, it was actually a cup of tea that softened up a very bad cough I had that made me really appreciate tea. I've always liked tea but up until then, like most people here, I only ever drank it when sick.  :salute:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 03:24:40 PM

Whoey fixed it.

Suddenly I'm wondering whether he shouldn't have  :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:15 PM

Whoey fixed it.

:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:54 PM

Whoey fixed it.

Desktop no problem, phone problem.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26:50 PM

So you've tried that?  :like:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 03:32:42 PM

Whoey fixed it.

Desktop no problem, phone problem.

No smartphones for firiki for the foreseeable future ( :crash:) so no such problems here :D

But, if I remember correctly, it was the other way around: Tapatalk didn't have the limit and desktops did.

Bloody technosorcery!  :think: Not my fault I don't get it, I tell ya  :rant:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:20 PM

Yes, although I myself tend to make it the Bosnian way.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 03:56:15 PM

:tu:

You might want to try this, then: put the water in the kettle for a minute till it gets some heat (not even lukewarm temperature, I'd say, YMMV). Then put in the coffee, stir well and bring to almost ebullition point. Serve about 1/4 into a cup and put on the fire again till it almost reaches ebullition point once more, then serve the rest.

Tapping the kitchen bench once or twice after the first serve with the kettle's bottom is supposed to help; I guess it allows the liquid to cool off a bit.  :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 04:01:01 PM

:tu:

You might want to try this, then: put the water in the kettle for a minute till it gets some heat (not even lukewarm temperature, I'd say, YMMV). Then put in the coffee, stir well and bring to almost ebullition point. Serve about 1/4 into a cup and put on the fire again till it almost reaches ebullition point once more, then serve the rest.

Tapping the kitchen bench once or twice after the first serve with the kettle's bottom is supposed to help; I guess it allows the liquid to cool off a bit.  :)

Worth a shot.   :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 05:07:33 PM

I wouldn't consider most of the concoctions Starbucks serve as coffee, though, but rather as something that contains coffee as well :whistle:

As for theophylline, it was actually a cup of tea that softened up a very bad cough I had that made me really appreciate tea. I've always liked tea but up until then, like most people here, I only ever drank it when sick.  :salute:
I call them coffee/mocca flavored milk-shakes. Some days I love them but usually I'm a ristretto man myself.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 08:28:17 AM
You can't throw a rock and not hit some kind of coffee shop.

that seems irresponsible....

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:05 AM

:angel:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:04 AM

I think there was a case where a guy used Starbucks as an alibi, but claiming that he could not remember which one. So, the police could neither verify nor dismiss it. Ultimately, the court ruled that it is possible and counted it as valid alibi.
Sadly, I can't find it on the internet.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline redmond

Reply #51 on: May 17, 2017, 02:55:10 PM

Good point!
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD