Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recruit versus Cadet?

mtds · 18 · 6389

us Offline mtds

Recruit versus Cadet?
on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:46 PM
I'm just looking for experience and opinions on this topic.  How does the Recruit compare to the Cadet in "sturdiness"?  Does the alox add to the knife's ability to resist prying and twisting?  Any other related comments or anecdotes?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Recruit versus Cadet?
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
Oh boy, where do I start my rant?! :D

Cadet hands down, no contest!

The recruit is an excellent SAK, but I'm not buying anymore cellidor SAK's until Victorinox uses a better material. Any of the modern polymers  like FRN would be light years ahead of the standard material they use now. I've had three SAK's break scales on me over the years from being dropped, or damaged by things like gun cleaning solvents or bug repellent. Yes, they can be replaced easy, but when I'm off on a fishing/camping trip, I have to put up with a knife missing one of the scales until I get home. Bumer. No more cellidor for me!

I'm a die hard fan of alox, and the cadet is a great SAK!!! It has more capability than the recruit because of the nail file tool. That tool makes a great very small Phillips screw driver and general poking, jimmying, and pointy whatever tool. With one main blade, I don't find I need a second blade that badly, but a general pointy driver tool is nice. The cadet is so flat it hides even in dress pants or a tux. And the silver alox scales retain a classy look long after the cellidor is scratched and beat up looking. To me, there's just no contest between them. And in the subject of ruggedness, again no contest.

Alox is the royalty of SAKs.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:43:04 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:11:11 PM
Recruit vs Cadet?   Hmmm  I'm hearing what cbl61 is saying about the scales... but you can put all kinds of scales on a recruit... I prefer the nylon scales that come on the "II" models.  If thinness is important to you, the Cadet wins there.

I think an even more appropriate comparison to make is the Cadet to the Sportsman.  They have the SAME EXACT set of tools for the top layer, with the same sturdiness.  Again, if durability is your concern the nylon scales hold up better over time.   You get the edge on tools with the Sportsman by adding the toothpick, tweezers, corkscrew, and reamer/punch.

Furthermore you can find used Sportsmans in excellent condition for around 8-$10, (Recruit even cheaper), the cadet will go for 5-$15 more. 

:cheers:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:12:27 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:03:33 PM
Recruit for me. I have to deal with metal and I need tweezers. I also love the feel more than cadets, easier to squeeze.

I do enjoy my cadet too, its pretty close, but I still pick Recruit.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:27:26 AM
My vote goes for the Cadet. I love the feel and size and it sits well in the pocket. I disagree on the file however. I hate it. As soon as I get a donor SAK & pin material I will be modding a Cadet.
Perception is reality

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:28:00 AM
Cadet for me!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:55 AM
I'm just looking for experience and opinions on this topic.  How does the Recruit compare to the Cadet in "sturdiness"?  Does the alox add to the knife's ability to resist prying and twisting?  Any other related comments or anecdotes?

I carried a 91mm Recruit early on and no problems there.  I have an 84mm Recruit now and Cadet 2 and both are great SAKs.   The scales of Alox are going to be sturdier for sure.  I would also say yes the Alox does keep the knife from twisting as compared to the Celidor SAKs.  Not sure when that comes into play?  Alox in general is just a sturdier tool and looks great in all the colors.   

The Cadet 2  is easier in the pocket which means you'll likely carry it more.  My Cadet 2 has 2 blades so I cannot speak to the file nail/cleaner tool.   My 84mm Recruit and Cadet 2 are evenly matched tool for tool. 

What I find is I'd rather carry my Cadet 2 simply due to the thinness and feel of Alox vs my 84mm Recruit.     
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:34:54 AM
I have a soft spot for the recruit. But I tend to use them as a blank canvas.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41214.0.html

As far as the Cadet goes, I'd usually just go for a Pioneer.
Unless it's my Cadet plus plus with scissors and saw.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:11 PM
My vote goes for the Cadet. I love the feel and size and it sits well in the pocket. I disagree on the file however. I hate it. As soon as I get a donor SAK & pin material I will be modding a Cadet.
I'm looking for someone​to do this exact mod for me, if you're interested.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:15:31 PM
I have a soft spot for the recruit. But I tend to use them as a blank canvas.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41214.0.html

As far as the Cadet goes, I'd usually just go for a Pioneer.
Unless it's my Cadet plus plus with scissors and saw.

+1on the pioneer

That mod sounds shweeeeet :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:16:37 PM
I don't like the feel of the alox on the 84mm and 93mm lines. I also prefer to have the scale tools, and back tools too for that matter.

As to being more sturdy, that's debatable. The pins are the same thickness on the 84 line, irrespective of scale material, and the tools are the same thickness. I don't consider the celidor scaled knives to be lacking in rigidity, although I am quite good at not using tools beyond their capabilities.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 04:04:13 PM

I've never done it either. I just tired of trying to find someone to do it for me, so I'm going to give it a shot.
Perception is reality

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 05:34:45 PM

I've never done it either. I just tired of trying to find someone to do it for me, so I'm going to give it a shot.
Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:53 PM
I don't like the feel of the alox on the 84mm and 93mm lines. I also prefer to have the scale tools, and back tools too for that matter.

As to being more sturdy, that's debatable. The pins are the same thickness on the 84 line, irrespective of scale material, and the tools are the same thickness. I don't consider the celidor scaled knives to be lacking in rigidity, although I am quite good at not using tools beyond their capabilities.

Sorry Carl, I'm with Al on this one. The extra T&T are great to have, for just a couple of mm and I find it fits my hand better. You can also get different scales for it, making it more versatile.

Also...

Show content
General Pointy!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 06:22:59 PM

Sorry Carl, I'm with Al on this one. The extra T&T are great to have, for just a couple of mm and I find it fits my hand better. You can also get different scales for it, making it more versatile.

Also...

Show content
General Pointy!

Agree too  :salute:

However if going the recruit (cellidor) way, i wouldn't pick the recruit. Both the Small Tinker or the Tourist is exactly the same Sak (dimensions) only with useful back tools. Or the Sportsman if you want the nail file instead of the small blade. And you still gain the extra slot for the pin :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:25:02 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:48 PM

Also...

Show content
General Pointy!

Agree too  :salute:

However if going the recruit (cellidor) way, i wouldn't pick the recruit. Both the Small Tinker or the Tourist is exactly the same Sak (dimensions) only with useful back tools. Or the Sportsman if you want the nail file instead of the small blade. And you still gain the extra slot for the pin :D

Yup

With the 93mm alox you at least get a bigger main blade, no size difference w/84mm main blade.  :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 08:58:35 PM
Recruit feels better knife than Sportsman or Tourist/Tinker Small.
Even spine makes carving more pleasant.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:29 PM
Recruit feels better knife than Sportsman or Tourist/Tinker Small.
Even spine makes carving more pleasant.

I could see that, I feel guilty now, I don't think I've every given my Recruit an honest chance.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%