Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman / NATO Issue serial numbers

DaveK · 53 · 13015

00 Offline 1jump2many

Re: Leatherman / NATO Issue serial numbers
Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
Which NATO countries issued the Core?  I'd never heard of that.  You learn something new everyday.  I can't imagine the US Military issuing MT's on a large scale though.  It would have been nice but when I was in if you wanted something like that you bought it yourself.  From what I read on various forums it still seems to be the same.  That might change from individual unit to unit though.

1Jump2Many
when my wife was enlisted they issued her a gerber multitool and a benchmade afo, I now have both.

A good friend of mine I was stationed with at one of my assignments left that assignment and did a 1 year remote to Turkey and then went right back to the same place we had been stationed together.  They issued him a Gerber MT too.  But I think that was just that particular unit.  I don't know what model Gerber it was.

1Jump2Many

im not up on gebers so i dont know their model numbers, mine is a standard needle nose black oxide model

Gerber is my least favorite MT, I only own a couple.  I don't know the different models either.  It was a bit of a coincidence that you mentioned your wife being issued the Gerber.  I was talking to my buddy on the phone a couple weeks back.  I mentioned that I bought a Leatherman 300.  He knows nothing about MT's of any kind and calls all MT's, Leatherman's.  Like adhesive strips are called Band-Aid.  That was when he mentioned he was issued one in the unit we were stationed together in.  He did two tours in that unit, I did one, and it was his second time when they issued the MT's.  I asked him to check and see what model it was and that was when he mentioned it was a Gerber and not a Leatherman after all.  I'm pretty sure it was just that particular unit though.  I never received any issued MT's in any of the units I served in.  I would have been nice but............

1Jump2Many
[

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 09:56:17 PM
what unit was he in? My wife was in Iraq in 05-06 101st air assault div.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:00:33 PM by jim guy »

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:22 PM
Which NATO countries issued the Core?  I'd never heard of that.  You learn something new everyday.  I can't imagine the US Military issuing MT's on a large scale though.  It would have been nice but when I was in if you wanted something like that you bought it yourself.  From what I read on various forums it still seems to be the same.  That might change from individual unit to unit though.

1Jump2Many
when my wife was enlisted they issued her a gerber multitool and a benchmade afo, I now have both.

A good friend of mine I was stationed with at one of my assignments left that assignment and did a 1 year remote to Turkey and then went right back to the same place we had been stationed together.  They issued him a Gerber MT too.  But I think that was just that particular unit.  I don't know what model Gerber it was.

1Jump2Many

im not up on gebers so i dont know their model numbers, mine is a standard needle nose black oxide model

Gerber is my least favorite MT, I only own a couple.  I don't know the different models either.  It was a bit of a coincidence that you mentioned your wife being issued the Gerber.  I was talking to my buddy on the phone a couple weeks back.  I mentioned that I bought a Leatherman 300.  He knows nothing about MT's of any kind and calls all MT's, Leatherman's.  Like adhesive strips are called Band-Aid.  That was when he mentioned he was issued one in the unit we were stationed together in.  He did two tours in that unit, I did one, and it was his second time when they issued the MT's.  I asked him to check and see what model it was and that was when he mentioned it was a Gerber and not a Leatherman after all.  I'm pretty sure it was just that particular unit though.  I never received any issued MT's in any of the units I served in.  I would have been nice but............

1Jump2Many

Did they issue you a benchmade auto?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:27 AM

This was many years ago, I was there from 87 - 91.  It's a joint Spec Ops unit on MacDill AFB, FL.  I was Army, this praticular buddy was Air Force.  We had all four branches together in one unit.  He did a second tour there after doing a one year remote to Turkey so it was sometime around 92 - 95.  It's an Airborne assignment.  The only knife they issued us was a small fixed blade knife that I think was a Camillus but I'm not sure anymore.  We strapped it to our leg when we jumped in case we needed to cut our risers.  Was your wife attached to the 101st or was she active duty?

1Jump2many
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:36:12 AM by 1jump2many »
[

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:56 AM

This was many years ago, I was there from 87 - 91.  It's a joint Spec Ops unit on MacDill AFB, FL.  I was Army, this praticular buddy was Air Force.  We had all four branches together in one unit.  He did a second tour there after doing a one year remote to Turkey so it was sometime around 92 - 95.  It's an Airborne assignment.  The only knife they issued us was a small fixed blade knife that I think was a Camillus but I'm not sure anymore.  We strapped it to our leg when we jumped in case we needed to cut our risers.  Was your wife attached to the 101st or was she active duty?

1Jump2many
active duty :salute:

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 05:45:37 PM
Hello, i got a Core with serial nr 5411453 UTD07, cand you help me descipher it. Thx
rsz_img_20190419_155236.jpg
* rsz_img_20190419_155236.jpg (Filesize: 140.81 KB)
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 07:38:01 PM
Dunc knew some about them and maybe Gregozadobe :salute: Probably some other members as well but not sure exactly which ones though  :think:

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 09:29:11 AM
Thread resurrection!
I too have a Supertool 200 with the same markings.
Im still trying to find out what UDT means too.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 03:21:16 PM
Here are some links about the NATO numbering (codification) system (also called NSN):
https://www.nato.int/structur/ac/135/ncs_guide/english/e_1-6-5.htm
https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/5110-01-541-1453

A link to the ISO page for the NATO ST200:
https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/5110-99-573-5003

And of course wikipedia also has some info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number

If your head isn't spinning enough, here is the US Defence Logistics Agency view:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number

AFAIK the first country that requests a NATO id number for an item sets the number for that tool, so even if another country requests it for issue to their military they use the same NSN number.

Here is a link to an MTo thread about NATO LMs:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=5671.0

I'm not sure what the UTD means, but I'm led to believe the two digits after that are the year eg 05 = 2005

I think the UTD is a later addition/customisation for the NSN as I have some earlier NATO LMs that don't have the UTDYY stamping, just the NSN.

I have a couple of NATO Cores, one is stamped "^ 5110 01 541 1 453 /!\  UTD 07", the other "^ 5110 01 541 1 453 /!\ UTD 08"

I've seen a couple of reports about NATO ST200s, both were stamped 5110995735003 /!\ UTD06

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:27:37 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 10:49:09 PM
deleted by poster
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:17 AM
Great bunch of links, greg :o :salute: :like:

Great rereading this thread as well :tu: :like:

gb Offline Catflem

• New User
Reply #41 on: January 13, 2024, 09:35:46 PM
Hi Guys - I'm not really into multitools, but I discovered your forum whilst researching my wife's Leatherman. So I thought I'd sign up and add another example in the vain hope that it'll help to expand the forums knowledge base. 

The NSN is 5120997865309UTD03

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: January 13, 2024, 10:24:54 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers: Thanks for adding the PST to this thread :tu: :like:

gb Offline Catflem

• New User
Reply #43 on: January 16, 2024, 11:50:45 AM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers: Thanks for adding the PST to this thread :tu: :like:

Many thanks.

I have received a message from a forum member about the PST, but as a new member I am not able to reply to it. So if the member is reading this - please accept my apologies for not replying directly to you.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 16, 2024, 01:53:13 PM
Many thanks.

I have received a message from a forum member about the PST, but as a new member I am not able to reply to it. So if the member is reading this - please accept my apologies for not replying directly to you.

You need more than 5 posts on the forum before you can send a pm. a few more posts and you're good to go :tu:

gb Offline Catflem

• New User
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2024, 04:36:31 PM
You need more than 5 posts on the forum before you can send a pm. a few more posts and you're good to go :tu:

:cheers: Things must be far more relaxed on this forum.

On a watch collectors forum I use I would be denounced as a speedposter and they'd have the pitchforks out............... watch collectors can be an unruly mob  :D 

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 20, 2024, 06:40:09 PM
I have an OG BO Super Tool with similar type numbers neatly engraved in with a Dremel. I’ll have to find it. Tried to research the numbers and could never find anything. It came out of Florida.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: January 20, 2024, 07:50:37 PM
:cheers: Things must be far more relaxed on this forum.

On a watch collectors forum I use I would be denounced as a speedposter and they'd have the pitchforks out............... watch collectors can be an unruly mob  :D

We are relaxed about most things :cheers: only thing we have rules majorly against are politics and religion :salute: just be kind and converse in a respectful manner and we are all good :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #48 on: January 24, 2024, 05:13:39 AM
I have an OG BO Super Tool with similar type numbers neatly engraved in with a Dremel. I’ll have to find it. Tried to research the numbers and could never find anything. It came out of Florida.

I've never seen an MT with hand engraved (by Dremel or similar) NATO Id numbers.  All the Early ones I've seen are machine stamped, while later ones have Laser (machine) engraved NATO numbers.  Maybe if you can add a pic of your Og ST handles someone will be able to add more info.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Legend

Reply #49 on: January 31, 2024, 04:30:05 AM
Many thanks.

That might have been me.  Don’t give up hope, but please give up the PST when you’re allowed to reply. 

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 08, 2024, 02:55:12 AM
Anyone know what these numbers could be?

IMG_5840.jpg
* IMG_5840.jpg (Filesize: 45.12 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #51 on: February 08, 2024, 02:00:26 PM

I'm not sure.  A quick search of SCMP turned up several possibilities:

"Strategic Communication Management Professional"
https://gcccouncil.org/About-GCCC-Certifications

MSE in Scientific Computing (SCMP) program at Penn
https://pics.upenn.edu/masters-science-engineering-scientific-computing/

Specialty Crop Multi-State Program (SCMP)
https://agr.wa.gov/services/grant-opportunities/specialty-crop-multi-state-program

NMMSS Upgrade Project. NAC 135-PL-300A. Software Configuration Management Plan.

And several others.

So possibly something to do with one of the above (or not).  The hand done engraving doesn't look anything like an official NATO Id to me.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 10, 2024, 07:16:11 AM

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

apparently 89 CS is a USAF department?

do you have any history on the item at all?

If it was part of a larger tool kit/equipment set, the individual pieces might have been engraved - serial number of a higher assembly it was supposed to be kept with?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%