Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKS stolen from luggage

it Offline shadowrider

SAKS stolen from luggage
on: May 19, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
When taking an airplane, have you folks ever had a SAK stolen from your checked-in suitcase?

Up until a few years ago, I used to travel to the US quite often. Every time I would put a SAK in an easily accessible place of my suitcase, like an outer or inner pocket for example, I would find it missing upon arrival (everything else being there).
I then started hiding them in more difficult to find places and it didn't happen again.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: SAKS stolen from luggage
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:13:08 PM
Weird  :think:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:17 PM
Some people will steal anything if it's not locked up :rant:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

it Offline Mini

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:10 PM
Some people will steal anything if it's not locked up :rant:

That's true!   :rant:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:12:31 PM
No, traveled a lot.  Always placed a SAK or two inside the case, in a utility bag with other items, like bandaids, antibiotic ointments, burn cream, extra shoe laces, etc. 
I will admit I was always surprised when all items present at destination or at home. 
On international flights, always knew if bag opened as items not as packed, most times a paper left in bag confirming search. 

If in outside pocket on case, then it is to easy for one with no scruples to be tempted and sink deeper.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:34 PM
I would not be surprised if there is black market for all the stolen goodies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:19:50 PM
If it's my EDC it goes in the toilet kit with the razor, flashlight, spare glasses. etc. If its a batch of new knives, they get buried in several packages in among the dirty clothes. So far I haven't lost anything.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:02 AM
I'm just moved countries, and I am waiting for the container to land, I'm hoping all my goodies are still there, including three damast, and a few rare wenger rangers.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:48:48 AM
Traveling always has the risk of theft, or lost baggage. Prepare for that and don`t travel with your rare SAK, but travel with an easy to replace one. And bury it deep in your suitcase. Or, leave your SAK at home, buy a locally made knife at your destination, and call it a souvenir.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:01:28 AM
Never had that happen to me.
I never did much air travel in my life, but when I did I put the SAK deep in side my luggage. Once I put it in a pair of socks. After that I put it in my toiletry bag.
It was quite a hassle removing it we landed so the last time I put it in an inside side pocket of my luggage bag.
Luckily I never had it gone missing.

Travel luggage isn't treated very nicely though. So instead of being stolen it might have fallen out. But I can't say for sure, I don't know how you stored it.

Oh yeah, Once almost lost it because I forgot to take it out of my pocket. Customs made me put it in my hand luggage. Thank god for that ^_~
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 01:25:32 PM

Customs made me put it in my hand luggage. Thank god for that ^_~

:ahhh that must have been a number of years ago then!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline Gardel

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:25:05 PM

I think that market goes by the name of eBay.  :)

us Offline docfossil

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:52:30 PM
I generally roll one up in a pair of socks, and stuff the socks in a shoe, and put the shoe in a cloth shoe bag and then put that in my suitcase. Then everything else gets packed on top of the shoes. Only time I lost one when traveling was when they stole the whole suitcase :-(

My 40 year old Vic Huntsman was lost that way. Luggage arrived on an earlier flight and was piled in the corner of the baggage area. My wife's suitcase was there, mine was not. They told me it did arrive but had no better explanation that "someone must have picked the suitcase up thinking it was theirs". Not likely as the person who picked it up "by accident" never read the luggage tag or my name inside the suitcase or neglected to contact me.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 01:11:10 AM

Customs made me put it in my hand luggage. Thank god for that ^_~

:ahhh that must have been a number of years ago then!!

Last time I flew, the guys at the X-ray machine wanted to look at my Champion, thought it was cool,  then handed it back to me so I could put it back in my pocket.....that was 1980.    :dd:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 02:29:20 AM
When I got back from my most recent trip a month ago, my Electrician SAK was missing. I may have left it or lost it there, or got jacked by the ts A

No one knows  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 02:56:01 AM

I think that market goes by the name of eBay.  :)

:rofl: :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline holygoat

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 04:01:24 PM
I've flown a lot in the past ten or twelve years. Never had a knife stolen, either from inside a case or an outside pocket.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 07:24:01 PM
When taking an airplane, have you folks ever had a SAK stolen from your checked-in suitcase?

Up until a few years ago, I used to travel to the US quite often. Every time I would put a SAK in an easily accessible place of my suitcase, like an outer or inner pocket for example, I would find it missing upon arrival (everything else being there).
I then started hiding them in more difficult to find places and it didn't happen again.

Funny you should mention that. When I flew to NYC with my fiance about ten years ago, our luggage ended up on a different plane. It was delivered to our hotel a day later by the airline. When I opened my bag, just two things were different: 1) my SAK was missing and 2) the carton box of the condoms had been ripped into a gazillion pieces, which were spread - together with the condoms (which at least were still in their individual plastic wrappers) - all over my luggage. Some puritan muppets, I guess. I remember that I checked all plastic wrappers for damage/pin holes, but they were intact. :P

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:34 PM
Never had one stolen from flying, but did have one taken from my luggage when getting off a cruise ship. Had to pack and then the cruise ship personnel brought it down to us one the dock. Fortunately, it was an easily replaceable and of little value (not a SAK). It doesn't just occur on airline excursions.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

fi Offline Gath

Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:30 PM
Well if you think from a thieves perspective a multitool is a perfect item to pilfer. They have reasonable, value, but not so high there will be great effort to recover it. No tracking, easy to sell, and if one was to be searched as a suspected thief it won't arouse suspicion if the searcher doesn't know that it is specifically what was stolen.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 09:55:24 PM
Well if you think from a thieves perspective a multitool is a perfect item to pilfer. They have reasonable, value, but not so high there will be great effort to recover it. No tracking, easy to sell, and if one was to be searched as a suspected thief it won't arouse suspicion if the searcher doesn't know that it is specifically what was stolen.

Well, with me such thief would have no such luck if caught  :twak:, i can identify any of my SAK's between similar models 95% of the times, unless the SAK stolen was brand new and unused out of the box that is...  :think:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline tim

Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:35 PM

Yeah, same experience.  I've had no trouble with padlocked baggage, even though those little airline-approved locks would take mere seconds to force.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 08:33:07 AM
We spent four weeks travelling Europe last year. I always put my SAK and Leatherman in my shaving / toiletries bag - the ones that were users. We bought some new ones and they were inside socks similar to other members here. Never had a problem. I would have been VERY cranky if any of the new ones were stolen, they all have sentimental value now.

Pete

ca Offline Walley

Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:46 AM
my first Surge "vanished" from my luggage on a flight from Vancouver to Toronto a few years ago.
it makes it all the more heart breaking that is was almost new and in an older style sheath that was awesome and i have never found a replacement.
after that i dont take any sak or multitools with me on flights.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 05:27:27 AM
Last time I flew in 2014, I packed my Explorer and Pinchy in the checked bag, along with a piece of paper I had typed up. I also had about $1800 in wrist watches packed I had picked up from my mom's house to take back.

The paper read something like:
"All items have been photo documented and inspected by a fraud analysis team. Items missing will be investigated by the fraud team to trace any object(s) missing to the responsible agent who searched the bag. In the event any object of value has gone missing, a small claims case will be opened against the tracked agent(s). Please note again that all objects have been confirmed by multiple parties to be contained within this shipment baggage."

We know it is BS, and the TSA knows it it BS. But, after seeing that, I think most agents would be skeptical about their getting away with stealing. Nothing went missing, but it was obvious the bag was searched with nothing being where I left it. And two watches were placed back in the little container I had then in without the small socks I packed them inside of. Had to polish two watches, because of that. Was just relieved the stuff was still all accounted for.

Food for thought anyway. Probably wouldn't bother doing it again, and would just not pack stuff like that to fly with.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 05:41:18 AM
We all hate to not be able to take our MTs on flights these days - But of course it has to be done.

I thought about putting my regular EDC SAK in the checked in luggage in an outside pocket for instant access   :D  as soon as I collected the case     :tu:
Then decided against it as the outside pockets are just too accessible to thieving hands

Gotto say though - I have rarely to never have had a case opened ..... and I would know as I am a meticulous packer.
Maybe this is coz I don't travel to/in the US much!!

The only time stuff was opened was when I shipped a container when I moved to Oz - And I was expecting this and prepared for it.
All bicycle tyres and shoes were meticulously scrubbed
And any allegedly suspect (according to Oz bio-diversity officers) wooden objects were left in the UK.

Heard some horrible stories about people loosing stuff to those guys - One was:
"Your bike has traces of soil - We can clean it for $300 or destroy it for $150 - Which would you like?":

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 04:20:08 PM

The only time stuff was opened was when I shipped a container when I moved to Oz - And I was expecting this and prepared for it.
All bicycle tyres and shoes were meticulously scrubbed
And any allegedly suspect (according to Oz bio-diversity officers) wooden objects were left in the UK.

Heard some horrible stories about people loosing stuff to those guys - One was:
"Your bike has traces of soil - We can clean it for $300 or destroy it for $150 - Which would you like?":
Ok, so...from how I understand this...are they thinking dirt in the tire threads will transport germs to another country and upset the eco system?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 04:52:17 PM
Yep - Pretty much  - But seeds is the main worry

Oz and NZ - Do have very unique flora and fauna - So they are trying to protect this
Eg I very very narrowly avoided a $400 fine when I accidentallly had an apple in my bag going into NZ!

And not sure about NZ - But early Oz settlers made some massive cock ups by introducing non-indigenous species to Oz - Which, of course, wiped out many indigenous species :(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:05:40 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:03 PM
Yep - Pretty much  - But seeds is the main worry

Oz and NZ - Do have very unique flora and fauna - So they are trying to protect this
Eg I very very narrowly avoided a $400 fine when I accidentallly had an apple in my bag going into NZ!

And not sure about NZ - But early OZ settlers made some massive cock ups by intriducing non indigenous species to Oz - Which of course wiped out many indigenous species
Oh...I understand better now. Glad you missed the $400 bullet!  :tu:

ca Offline Walley

Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 04:51:37 AM
i think the best plan to have a reduced risk would be to leave your stuff at home and buy a new MT or sak where ever you go.
that way you only have to risk carrying it through customs one way!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%