Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modern Day Coming Of Age MT.O Style

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Modern Day Coming Of Age MT.O Style
on: May 20, 2017, 02:52:34 PM
G'Day,

Coming Of Age...

What does it mean? Does it still exist, or has First World Complexities taken this very important time is a young adult's life away?

If we do a bit of research (good 'ol google) then there is quite a bit of information on what used to be done, and in some cultures still are happening. Coming of Age seems to be a time when an child transitions into young adulthood. Many cultures have different ages they recognise: anything from around 12 to 21. A common age seems to be around 13 or 14 when a young girl starts transitioning into a young female with very noticeable body changes. In boys most common is for the voices to break.

I have lived in South Africa for a good part of my life, before migrating to Australia and have seen some of the rituals that young African men had to endure. Many of them test themselves to the extreme of their body and mental capabilities. Feats of pain, hunger and extended period of exposure to the elements of Mother Nature seems to be common. However, I think that our Western society view quite a few of these as barbaric and we don't "practice" them as such. There are some religious ceremonies that happen ie Bat Mitzvah and Catholic Confirmation to name a few.

But what do we do now? I have given this quite a bit of thought lately. My son will be turning 13 in August and I wanted to do something special that he will remember; and pass on some gifts and knowledge that he will be able to use for a very long time. He was born in 2004, a significant year in our lives as well as MT.O members lives: The Original PST was discontinued. And thus my hunt began. It took me a loooooong time to get the right tool. I needed a PST that was stamped sometime in 04. A 0804 would have been perfect, but I settled for an 0504. The tool arrived early this week and it was in a very good condition, but needed a good clean. After a very good clean I polished the handles, replaced the plier head with a brand new one. The eyeglass driver and the medium driver was also replaced. The original ones are still very good, but the rest of the tools are pretty much brand new. I want to give him a tool that is as close to new as possible. The sheath is brand new, apart from a rust spot on the snap buckle. That is an easy fix too. BUT, I wanted a special custom sheath. Enter Gohard. He offered to make a sheath with custom writing and a picture on the flap. Our nickname for the boy is Monkeyboy and a little monkey caricature was printed. I cannot thank him enough, the sheath has come out better that I could have imagined.

So all I need now is a good book on how to survive the jungle to adulthood?

It is going to be a special day in August when young Cyle opens a box with tools in that will help him transition into being a young adult. All I can hope for is that the examples we show him, and all our young adults for that matter, will equip him to make the right decisions and hopefully carry the traditions of our "elders" forward. The world we live in is forever changing, and changing at an exponential pace. I think that every parent wants to see their kids be successful and happy, and it is our responsibility to give them the tools and knowledge and help them on their journey.

I want to thank Gohard for the sheath and zrxoa1 for sending the PST to Oz. I could not have done this without your help. We have a fantastic community here on MT.O. Thank you Guys!!!

I will close with the pics. An update late in August. For now the PST and sheath are waiting to continue their journey into the future of a young man Cyle.

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP4052.JPG
* IMGP4052.JPG (Filesize: 66.34 KB)
IMGP4053.JPG
* IMGP4053.JPG (Filesize: 146.57 KB)
IMGP4054.JPG
* IMGP4054.JPG (Filesize: 139.27 KB)
IMGP4051.JPG
* IMGP4051.JPG (Filesize: 133.32 KB)

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Modern Day Coming Of Age MT.O Style
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:21:53 PM
Gohard makes some great sheaths, I've got 2 of them, your son will be blown away by it. 

It's great that you're doing this for your son, he will remember it for the rest of his life, and a PST is a great tool to start with.

:cheers: :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:25:45 PM
Very nice and I agree a PST is a perfect tool for your sons coming of age.

:like: :cheers: :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 03:29:35 PM
Great post and a fantastic thing to do for your boy. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:47:47 PM
Such a great idea,love the sheath and he will be so happy with the pst  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 04:17:18 PM
That is a very excellent idea and a great way to help in through life. I think he will have great memories of this and both the sheath and the tool are very fitting IMO :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:14:33 PM
With a terrific father as I'm certain you are, your sons coming of age is off to a great start. 

As to rituals for young men and women, rites of passages, etc, I have also pondered why it has become lost.  Entering manhood or womanhood IMO should be marked somehow, with some kind of rite.  It's great you are creating one for your son which very well may mark the beginning of your families tradition.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:11:20 AM
(Not tool related, so save yourself a read :P )

The best example of the change in culture that has made "coming of age" disappear is (I can't source it right now...)

We used to have a long childhood (infant-13) short adolescence (13-16) and then adulthood til whenever it ended.

Now we have a shorter childhood, thanks to schools, access to information, sexy clothes, whatever you want to blame (infant-10) and a long adolescence (10-forever) with only a few people ever really becoming adults and being responsible, self aware and wise contributors to their societies.

Sure, we collect things along the way - We can legally drink, drive, vote, (although somehow all at different ages)

Current cultures do not "prepare" you for being an adult, nor is there a "coming of age" where you have be deemed worthy/ready, and you begin to carry your own burdens, so to speak....

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:55 AM
(Not tool related, so save yourself a read :P )

The best example of the change in culture that has made "coming of age" disappear is (I can't source it right now...)

We used to have a long childhood (infant-13) short adolescence (13-16) and then adulthood til whenever it ended.

Now we have a shorter childhood, thanks to schools, access to information, sexy clothes, whatever you want to blame (infant-10) and a long adolescence (10-forever) with only a few people ever really becoming adults and being responsible, self aware and wise contributors to their societies.

Sure, we collect things along the way - We can legally drink, drive, vote, (although somehow all at different ages)

Current cultures do not "prepare" you for being an adult, nor is there a "coming of age" where you have be deemed worthy/ready, and you begin to carry your own burdens, so to speak....

Very true.

With my daughter's CoA two years ago, she invited a group of woman whom she looks up to and respects. Each of them were asked to bring some "worldly advice". A lot of what she got was based on opinion more than a cultural thing, as most of the attendees were from at least 3 different continents. Does this prepare her for life or what's to come? Probably not, but I think it is a good start. As I said right from the start, our life changes at an ever increasing pace and we need to try to prepare the future generations as best we can.

For the young man, we will do the same.

Thanks for the kind words folks

Pete

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:51 PM
You've done a great thing giving the boy a good quality multitool.  The next best thing you can do is make sure he knows how to use it, and that there's more than one way to get the job done.  When an obstacle is thrown in your path, go around, over it or through it, because that's what obstacles are about.  That will take him much further in life than the other kids who learn to sit down and wait for someone else to hand them a solution when the road gets rough.

One of my nephews is a problem solver and  do-er.  The other just sits there or walks away when something doesn't go his way and I worry about him a lot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:18 PM
The next best thing you can do is make sure he knows how to use it, and that there's more than one way to get the job done.  When an obstacle is thrown in your path, go around, over it or through it, because that's what obstacles are about.  That will take him much further in life than the other kids who learn to sit down and wait for someone else to hand them a solution when the road gets rough.
Def

Thanks Def,

Very true words. MT's aside, he is a strategic thinker, details do not matter to much to him. If I may, I would like to add your quote about obstacles in his pouch.

Both my kids have been around MT's for a long time and own some small ones of their own. When we gave them their Squirts we made little bookmarks that has Leatherman's exploded view of the tool on the one side and the word "Leatherman" on the other. Each letter represents a tip or a rule about the tool. They were 8 when they got them and to date not a single cut, but many uses. One P4 has gone in for surgery after it was used to make spears and then promptly sharpened on a rough surface  ;) got to love kid's ingenuity.

I am pretty confident that he will be a responsible user and grow up to be a contributing member of society.

Cheers,

Pete

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:12:55 PM
The next best thing you can do is make sure he knows how to use it, and that there's more than one way to get the job done.  When an obstacle is thrown in your path, go around, over it or through it, because that's what obstacles are about.  That will take him much further in life than the other kids who learn to sit down and wait for someone else to hand them a solution when the road gets rough.
Def

Thanks Def,

Very true words. MT's aside, he is a strategic thinker, details do not matter to much to him. If I may, I would like to add your quote about obstacles in his pouch.

Both my kids have been around MT's for a long time and own some small ones of their own. When we gave them their Squirts we made little bookmarks that has Leatherman's exploded view of the tool on the one side and the word "Leatherman" on the other. Each letter represents a tip or a rule about the tool. They were 8 when they got them and to date not a single cut, but many uses. One P4 has gone in for surgery after it was used to make spears and then promptly sharpened on a rough surface  ;) got to love kid's ingenuity.

I am pretty confident that he will be a responsible user and grow up to be a contributing member of society.

Cheers,

Pete

Very cool tradition you're starting for your family, bro!

:salute: :tu:

Look for some youtube videos showing the correct use of tools and some other (safe) unconventional use of them as well. It will help not only to get to know the tool but also how to think outside the box when facing new situations.

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD