Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Crossgrip vs Leatherman Squirt P4

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
SOG Crossgrip vs Leatherman Squirt P4
on: May 22, 2017, 06:03:47 PM
And the winner for me at this point is the Leatherman Squirt P4. 

Leatherman P4. 

Spring action needle nose pliers which also have light duty wire cutters. 
3 sided file.
Bottle opener / flat driver.
Phillips driver.
Awl.
Small flat driver.
Chisel edge blade.
Keyring attachment.

Implements are accessible while tool is closed.

IMG_2915.JPG
* IMG_2915.JPG (Filesize: 205.27 KB)
IMG_2916.JPG
* IMG_2916.JPG (Filesize: 195.25 KB)
IMG_2917.JPG
* IMG_2917.JPG (Filesize: 198.82 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SOG Crossgrip vs Leatherman Squirt P4
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:04:51 PM
SOG Crossgrip.

Spring action pliers with wire cutting.  Unique shape pliers.
1 sided file with nail cleaner tip.
Philips tool.
Very fine flat driver / bottle opener.
Chisel edge blade. 
Tweezers.
Flat Driver.
Ruler markings.
Keyring attachment.
IMG_2915.JPG
* IMG_2915.JPG (Filesize: 205.27 KB)
IMG_2918.JPG
* IMG_2918.JPG (Filesize: 203 KB)
IMG_2919.JPG
* IMG_2919.JPG (Filesize: 163.88 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:09:16 PM
I'm firmly in the Squirt P4 camp.  Another advantage is the smaller overall size and smoother shape makes it much better for loose in the pocket carry.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:22:46 PM
Neither tools have locking implements. 

As you can see the SOG is a little larger than the Leatherman.  For me this is a win for the LM. 

The SOG has the gears which initially I wasn't too bothered by but they are annoying enough for me at this point.  Win for comfort Leatherman.

Files.  Leatherman has a 3 sided file while the SOG has only 1 side.  Leatherman Win.

To expand on this, the cutting edge of the SOG is facing the inside of the tool which highly dampened to ability for me to fully use the file.  The file also pivots on the keyring side which also lessens the usage.

The Leatherman has 3 sides so I have options as well as make use of the (spine) which is also a cutting edge.  The file opens opposite the keyring which is just smart thinking. 

IMG_2920.JPG
* IMG_2920.JPG (Filesize: 202.74 KB)
IMG_2921.JPG
* IMG_2921.JPG (Filesize: 70.56 KB)
IMG_2922.JPG
* IMG_2922.JPG (Filesize: 180.2 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:24:56 PM
I'm firmly in the Squirt P4 camp.  Another advantage is the smaller overall size and smoother shape makes it much better for loose in the pocket carry.

I didn't think the SOGs size would matter initially.  I can now see the size of the LM P4 is really ideal for its class.  The SOG is no pig but for the class its a wee too big and with those gears its not the best for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:51:44 PM
The pliers.

The SOG pliers have a more robust feel to them.  I was thinking the exposed spring would somehow be easily broken or damaged or something.  None has come true however it did catch on my coin pocket.  The gears are also a bit annoying as the are like mini circular saws wanting to cut the crap out of everything they come into contact with.  OK I'm exaggerating  :rofl:

I do feel like the SOGs pliers are far more capable than the LM P4s in terms of holding power.  These pliers are the pit bulls of little pliers.  Heres the problem tho, the tool is uncomfortable in hand even at moderate pressure.  You rarely hear me gripe about my hands hurting using tools but remember these pliers are squeezed with fingers.  I've got tough fingers too but the edges of the tool are like the older LMs. 

There is also the issue with access.  The shape of the SOG pliers are neat but limited.   So heres my take and usage of such small pliers. 

Small pliers are for times when you need more gripping power than your fingers can muster.  They are also great when you need to hold something small very precisely.  They should excel in getting into small space where my fat fingers cannot.  They should also be capable to turn a ( within reason ) bolt/screw/ fastener/etc.  The added wire cutter is great addition which add to the function of the overall tool. 

The Leatherman Squirt P4 pliers are needle nose and more precise as a result.  Both pliers are spring loaded so thats a great thing for both.  The LM P4 pliers gripping teeth are not a finely serrated as the SOGs but for me thats a plus.  I feel they 'bite" the object I'm grabbing a bit more.  The finer tip also allows me to reach into tighter spaces.  While the SOG certainly feels like a pit bull holing onto a steak, the LM P4 has never let go of anything I was trying to hold onto.  The reach is a clear advantage for the LM P4 pliers.   

I've cut larger paper clips with the P4 as well as the SOG and both have doe a good job. 

The Win to the Leatherman Squirt P4

IMG_2923.JPG
* IMG_2923.JPG (Filesize: 162.79 KB)
IMG_2924.JPG
* IMG_2924.JPG (Filesize: 162.18 KB)
IMG_2925.JPG
* IMG_2925.JPG (Filesize: 159.72 KB)
IMG_2926.JPG
* IMG_2926.JPG (Filesize: 150.54 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:52:12 PM
Pliers.
IMG_2927.JPG
* IMG_2927.JPG (Filesize: 177.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:18:38 PM
The drivers.

Phillips.

SOG has a "dedicated" Philips.  While I was able to use it I will say that its not easy.  The tool rotates 270 degree which essentially makes the tool unwieldy. 

The LM P4 "dedicated" Philips is a decent size and shape for most needs.  It stops unlike the SOGs which gives me confidence to push the tool a bit without fear of it rotating or closing. 

Win for Leatherman.

Micro flat driver.

SOG has a combo micro flat driver/bottle opener.  The driver has terrific reach and worked great on my glasses.  The tool stops like we are accustomed on non locking MTs which makes me feel confident using the tool. I didnt use the bottle opener. 

Leatherman P4 micro flat driver is a capable tool and also works well on my glasses.  It lacks the reach of the SOGs. 

I have to give the win to the SOG.  Reach matters when available.

Small flat driver.

SOG has a good tool in that it has good reach.  The tool is a nice size for most flat screws.  I'm sure we all have used our flat drivers as pry tools and this one certainly feels up to it.  With the added length I'd say it was meant for prying
( light duty ).

Leatherman P4 has a combo flat driver / bottle opener.  I didn't use the bottle opener.  The flat driver is nice and fits a variety of flat screws.  It shares space with the phillips so size is on the shorter size.  The smaller size does limit what I'd pry with it but its still makes for a light pry tool.   I do want to add that the file can be used for a flat driver but very lightly IMO and I wouldn't use it to pry at all.  The material of the file I think is not suitable as is the SS of the other tools. 

SOG takes the win on this as well. 

IMG_2928.JPG
* IMG_2928.JPG (Filesize: 154.65 KB)
IMG_2929.JPG
* IMG_2929.JPG (Filesize: 208.69 KB)
IMG_2930.JPG
* IMG_2930.JPG (Filesize: 188.75 KB)
IMG_2931.JPG
* IMG_2931.JPG (Filesize: 176.36 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:21 PM
Drivers.
IMG_2932.JPG
* IMG_2932.JPG (Filesize: 192.46 KB)
IMG_2933.JPG
* IMG_2933.JPG (Filesize: 192.21 KB)
IMG_2934.JPG
* IMG_2934.JPG (Filesize: 178.03 KB)
IMG_2935.JPG
* IMG_2935.JPG (Filesize: 166.09 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
Other tools.

SOG has tweezers.  I've not used them other than to see if I could pick a small screw and they worked great  :D.   

Win for SOG.  Leatherman P4 doesn't have tweezers.

Leatherman P4 has an Awl.  I've actually used it for awl-purposes as well as to scrape.  Its worth noting that I sharpened mine which can open clam shell packaging or cut boxes open too.

Win for Leatherman P4.  SOG is awl-less.

Worth noting IMO.

Keyring attachments. 

SOGs has a keyring however it stops at 270 degree which hinders the tools that open on that side, namely the phillips and file.

Leatherman P4 has a keyring that rotates more freely essentially moving out of the way of the one tool in particular, the phillips.

If you are like me and use the keyring then I have to award to win to Leatherman P4. 

Ruler Markings.

SOG has them so win to SOG.

Looks.

TIE. 

I thing the SOG looks like an OWL.

The Squirt is a cute tool that in no way should intimidate anyone. 

IMG_2936.JPG
* IMG_2936.JPG (Filesize: 198.84 KB)
IMG_2937.JPG
* IMG_2937.JPG (Filesize: 231.22 KB)
IMG_2938.JPG
* IMG_2938.JPG (Filesize: 149.35 KB)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:00:37 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:07:35 PM
Knife blades. 

SOGs knife blade is very pointy.  I had a hard time getting the edge sharp as the bevel angle was rather steep.  I added a bevel to the opposite side ( chisel side ).  The blade opens with the sharp edge facing inwards.  To me this is always a fail. 

Leatherman Squirt P4 is terrific.  I also added a bevel to the chisel side.  The knife opens with the cutting edge facing the "proper" outside of the tool. 

Win Leatherman P4.

IMG_2939.JPG
* IMG_2939.JPG (Filesize: 209.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:52 PM
Conclusion. 

I must admit that I have had my Leatherman Squirt P4 much longer than my SOG Crossgrip.  I can also tell you that from experience I know what I like and what works for me.  While I was excited for the SOG early on I became less and less enthusiastic.  At one point I stopped carrying it because some issues were not to be avoided.  While I haven't used the tool ( SOG ) extensively I honestly don't feel the need to.  I have transitioned to a more minimal carry for my off day which includes an 84mm SAK, Fenix LD02, and small plier tool. 

The small plier must be a stand alone tool and compliment my SAK.  The pliers must be able to do a wide range of tasks and more than my SAK pliers on my Deluxe Tinker.  While I see these keychain tools as lighter duty they cannot fail when pushed harder as needed.  They also cannot compromise in delicateness as well. 

The SOG for me fails in ways that make me pause when deciding if I want to carry it.  Anytime a tool makes me force it into my pocket I know the time has come for it to collect dust. 

The Leatherman Squirt P4 IMO is a perfect keychain tool or pocket tool.  Not much competes with it in this class of tool.  I find it pairs most excellent with my 84mm SAK and either a Pocket Wrench 2 or my LM #5.

I can tell you I like the LM P4 so much that I have another as back up.  I also have a LM PS4 but have zero experience with it.  I rather like SAK scissors and would rather carry a 58mm.   

This in no way takes from the SOG but reflects my thoughts and up to this point my usage. 

Thank you.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 08:31:16 PM
I just thought to mention that both tools are discontinued.  I believe you can still find them on the bay of fleas however. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:08 PM
I just thought to mention that both tools are discontinued. 

I kept looking at the date of this thread and wondering if this was really 2007.   :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
I just thought to mention that both tools are discontinued. 

I kept looking at the date of this thread and wondering if this was really 2007.   :think:

:rofl:

I only recently acquired the SOG.  I tried to snag it a few times but wasn't willing to pay for a "highly sought after discontinued tool" as usually advertised on the bay of fleas  :whistle:.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD