Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are four layer SAKs the least pocketable size?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Are four layer SAKs the least pocketable size?
on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:13 PM
Relax, hear me out, I think haven't totally gone off the deep end quite yet:

Thinner (and lighter) than four layers is obviously more pocketable than four layers.

The thing is, I find five (or more) layers better in the pocket than four too. Four layers are more or less square in their cross-section, making them the same thickness however they are oriented. Five and up will be no thicker than four layers in the pocket, they will however be more stable and better stay in a given position, thus making them more comfortable.

Depending on your clothing, the weight of many layers may of course become a problem.

So, what do you think? I have seen this opinion stated before, so I know I'm not totally alone. :)

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Are four layer SAKs the least pocketable size?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:25:04 PM
I can think of one very useful EDC 4 layer that carries much like a Climber, which is the Mountaineer.  :salute:

On the other hand, Rangers are great, and there's the compact 5 (along with the Master Craftsman/Astronaut).  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:27:47 PM by twiliter »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:46 PM
 :think:

Trouser pocket: Up to three layers is fine.
Jacket pocket: Up to CT41 is fine

I will carry a larger SAK in my trouser pocket if necessary, but I don't find the squarer section tools (Voyager Lite, Huntsman, Ranger, Orig Outdoorsman) any less carryable than a CT41 :shrug:

Of the models I listed above, if I'm going to carry more than a Climber/Traveller, the most likely to end up in the pocket is the Original Outdoorsman (essentially a Ranger but with serrated main blade, and pruner blade as small blade), which although it's actually 5 layers, it's very similar to an Explorer in thickness.

One of my mods (Brian) is a 4 layer Wenger with inline Phillips, and the square section makes it more comfortable and natural as a driver. The Voyager Lite is quite similar in this respect too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:34:49 PM
I'd rather carry a Ranger or Craftsman than I would my Fieldmaster.  I don't know why, but I think they ride better too.  This is coming from a guy who carried a Huntsman exclusively for cover 30 years!  Let me add that I carry most of mine in my back pocket
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:36:18 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Another vote here for the Mountaineer as decently pocketable 4 layers. On a personal level the Fisherman is equally great but I'm not going to start another round of The Great Fish Scaler Debate  :whistle:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:39 PM
Amici,
I normally carry either a Champion, Craftsman, to even a SwissChamp, and would feel quite vulnerable if I didn't..

In my career field, the tools offered in any of the 4 plus layers helps me immensely with everything from troubleshooting to installation. Throw in a flashlight, and I'm a happy camper regarding my EDC. 

Despite their girth, you can get by using a suspension clip quite comfortably, depending on what you're wearing. Jeans not an issue whatsoever. But slacks or suit trousers, totally different animal.

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:48:50 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:53:26 PM
Another vote here for the Mountaineer as decently pocketable 4 layers. On a personal level the Fisherman is equally great but I'm not going to start another round of The Great Fish Scaler Debate  :whistle:

A man after my own heart.  :dd:

The original Fisherman is one of my favorite 4 layers, but it never wins popularity contests.  :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:55 AM
Well from my experience from up to 4 (thick) layers of carry, as far as it siting put in your pocket, my Explorer for example sits better than the climber or super tinker or any other 3 layer or thin 4 layer. I had a handyman that I gave away that carried rather good, but the weight and bulk and a bunch of stuff I don't regularly need drove me away.
So yes, from a stability point of view 4 layers up carries better in the pants pocket, especially jeans or similar.

Since for me personally I've basically went back to two layers for edc, it's not a problem anymore  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:19:40 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:17:34 PM
I personally EDC from 1 up to and including 8 layers, so it's not like I find four layers a problem as such. I have just ended up with a preference for either light and thin or large and “flat” (when it comes to pocketability). I personally find four layers knives somehow fall between two stools, even though they “should” have been in a goldilocks zone.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:26 PM
Carrying 1-2 layers in jeans pocket, 3-4 layers in jacket pocket, anything bigger in belt sheath or backpack.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 12:56:11 PM
I think it comes down to non-square SAKs for confort. The thinner ones stay put, like the thicker ones. The only difference is that on the thinner ones the scales are facing you, on the thicker ones it's the tools.

:salute:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:47:09 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:28 PM
I always carry the Swisschamp, Champion or Handymen in the RRP or LRP hanging from a P7 clip clone

comfortable and I barely notice it's even there
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:36:11 AM
I'd prefer 4 layers SAK as EDC such as Deluxe Tinker or Yeoman Mechanic, because pliers and scissors is a must for me.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69