Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kayak repair

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kayak repair
on: May 23, 2017, 01:42:43 PM
After several years of faithful service, my trusty Point 65 XO13 kayak has developed some issues.  On either side of the cockpit the silicone handles that make it easy to manage have gotten worn out and, on one side, delaminated.  I had bought replacement handles, but I haven't had an opportunity to install them. 

Also, towards the end of the season last year the squirrels (hundreds of them around here) decided to eat the rudder control cable off of it, which meant there was no way to raise and lower the rudder.

And, as if that wasn't enough, Megan, who usually uses that boat, has started to notice the pedals are sticky and gritty, which may also be part of why the boat leaks.  You see, there are two screws on either side of the hull that hold the foot pedals in place.  Due to prior injuries I couldn't use the pedals that came with this boat and swapped them out for some different, more useful pedals for me, but they are in a straight bracket that doesn't conform to the shape of the hull.  Putting pressure on those could easily loosen the screws and let water in.

But, first things first.  Here is the old starboard side handle, showing some wear- and this was the good one.   :ahhh

First job was to drill out the rivets carefully.  You really need to be careful on these because the metal rivets can chew the heck out of the plastic hull if you aren't, and then you have much bigger problems.  Once the handle is removed, it looks like this:

I test fitted the new handles into place and "pinned" them there with the new rivets before riveting them in place.  Some rivets were easier to reach than others, and I am ashamed to admit that I spent the whole time singing to myself "Rivetman, fixing up my boat out here alone.... I'm a Rivetman, Rivetmaaaan!"   :facepalm:

Eight rivets later and the handles look brand new, probably because they are.  But it increases the function and appearance of the whole boat, and I certainly can't argue with that.

And if I do say so myself, it looks pretty well exactly like it did when it came from the factory, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

The next problem is the rudder control cable.  This isn't the cable that controls left and right movement, it is the cable that raises and lowers the rudder.  You can see it in this photo, leading out from the rudder to nowhere near the boat.   :facepalm:

Basically it is a looped cable that fits through the rudder at one end of the loop and through a ring near the cockpit at the other end.  You grip the top part of the loop and pull it forward to raise the rudder, and pull the bottom part of the loop to lower it.  Pretty simple, right?  Well, sort of....

The cable runs through both the rudder housing and the blade in a specific pattern that I followed using the original cable as a guide.  I would pull the original cable out of one hole at a time and follow it with the new cable, before pulling the original out of the next hole.  Each manufacturer has a slightly different design and way of doing it from pretty well every other manufacturer, and I didn't want to get it wrong.  Once the cable was properly wrapped around the blade however, I had trouble taking it through the hole in the rudder housing, which meant that I had to take it apart slightly.  Other than remarkably inaccessible nuts, this was not a huge problem, largely because I didn't disassemble it so much as I just loosened it to the point where I could easily feed the cable through.

Once the cable was through the rudder I pulled it to an almost even length, then fed it through the guide nut (round black thing) and then tied each end off to some bungee cord to keep it all tight.  The beads were also somewhat eaten by squirrels, but they survived enough that I was able to put them back on and use them again.  They make it easy to grab the cord and pull it.

All in all I probably have a couple of hours into the repair, at least so far, but as both the handles and rudder are back to 100% functionality it was time well spent.  Now that I know how to do it, I imagine I could do it again in half that time, maybe less.

There is still the leakage/pedal issue to deal with, but I am going to have to wait on that.  I have wiped out the brackets to get rid of any of the grit in them, but they really do need a proper cleaning.  To do that I will need to take them out of the boat, and I am thinking of coating the inside of the brackets with graphite when I do, just to go the extra mile.  It isn't really needed, but if they are out, then why not?

I am waiting to take them out because I ordered some closed cell foam, that I will cut to match the size of the brackets.  My plan is to use the closed cell foam to help fill in the gaps between the curvature of the hull and the straight back of the pedal brackets, keeping the pedals more stable, while filling in any gaps around the mounting screws to keep water out.

But again, those screws are a pain in the bum, because you are using them at arm's length, one arm inside the boat and one outside!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Kayak repair
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:04:17 PM
For a minute there, I thought this was going to be a request for the duct tape badge. :whistle:

Nice job! :2tu:

And it's true, after you learned something, the time spent will only decrease.

In my line of work, we often get new (to us) stuff with us to install.
At first it might take ages to finish up 1 device, but after 2 or 3, you just switch to full auto and there is nothing that'll stop us.

Today we finished up as much around lunchtime as yesterday on a full shift :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:19:39 PM
Yeah, riveting the handles wasn't a big deal, but the rigging for the rudder was a bit involved.  Pretty straightfoward if you know what you are doing, but if you've never done it before it seems a bit overly complex.

Now I see why everything is done the way it is and it makes perfect sense.

I hope you are still billing for the whole shift....  >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline JP

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:52:07 PM
Good work Grant! Closed cell foam is great stuff. If you have any left over you could pad the cockpit for comfort and control.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:13:56 PM
Good work Grant! Closed cell foam is great stuff. If you have any left over you could pad the cockpit for comfort and control.

That's my plan.  Megan's boat is fairly comfortable as it is a lot newer but most of the foam on the seat of mine is worn away and on long trips I get a welt going on my lower back from where the seat rubs so I think I got enough to take care of that as well.

My boat is in pretty sad shape, while the one Megan uses gets most of the attention!

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:30:36 PM
I can't begin to imagine what it would cost to have that work done.  Nice for you to take on that project, but mostly getting the boat in shape.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:17:14 PM
Yeah, riveting the handles wasn't a big deal, but the rigging for the rudder was a bit involved.  Pretty straightfoward if you know what you are doing, but if you've never done it before it seems a bit overly complex.

Now I see why everything is done the way it is and it makes perfect sense.

I hope you are still billing for the whole shift....  >:D

Def
We did shift back a gear or 2 :whistle:
And the client agreed for 2 full days of work beforehand so...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:21:19 PM
I can't begin to imagine what it would cost to have that work done.  Nice for you to take on that project, but mostly getting the boat in shape.   

If I had to guess, I'd say probably around $45/hour and a three hour minimum, plus materials and taxes, so I'd probably be into the whole thing for a couple of hundred dollars at least. 

As it was, I think the rivets (special kayak rivets  ::) ) cost around $7 for a bag of 20-ish, the replacement handles cost somewhere around $16 each and the cable cost somewhere around $1.50/foot and I bought about 30 feet because I thought I'd have to replace the hard lines too.

Boat parts is a good racket to be in for sure....

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:39:09 PM
Its times like these that can also make you a buck or two.  You now have parts and experience.  I'm sure theres someone who has the same issues you have and would be stoked to save a but on repairs.   When I cycled I  accumulated parts and experiene and made a buck from time to time.  Many times just enough to break even from parts but it was still not bad since my bike was fixed free ( minus my time ).   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:11:50 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say probably around $45/hour and a three hour minimum, plus materials and taxes, so I'd probably be into the whole thing for a couple of hundred dollars at least. 

As it was, I think the rivets (special kayak rivets  ::) ) cost around $7 for a bag of 20-ish, the replacement handles cost somewhere around $16 each and the cable cost somewhere around $1.50/foot and I bought about 30 feet because I thought I'd have to replace the hard lines too.

Def
Check out The Chandlery for boating eye candy.

I dream of building​ a SUP.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:36 PM
I keep meaning to get there.  So far I've been to MEC, Cabelas, Sail and Jenda.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:04 PM
All in all I probably have a couple of hours into the repair,

I believe home repairs are usually measured in beers, not hours.

Changing oil and filter is a one-beer job.

Belts and water pump? Four beers.

anything with fibreglass? scotch.

:D

Bring
Out
Another
Thou....

If you think parts for your kayak are expensive.

:ahhh   :o

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:09 AM
Perhaps it's me but I have had issues raising and lowering the rudder on nearly every kayak I have hired... I believe the mechanism could be designed better.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 10:41:03 AM
Good work there Grant !
 :like:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 06:08:42 PM
Perhaps it's me but I have had issues raising and lowering the rudder on nearly every kayak I have hired... I believe the mechanism could be designed better.

Funny you should say that.....

I have been working on designing a rudder assembly to fit my big boat. 

I'm also still waiting for the foam to arrive, so I'm glad I didn't take the pedals off in anticipation.   :facepalm:

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 07:26:36 PM
Sweet Composites is also a good source. It is out of MD in the US.

ca Offline JP

Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 07:27:52 PM
I keep meaning to get there.  So far I've been to MEC, Cabelas, Sail and Jenda.

Def
If you are by Cabela's during the day sometime ping me and I could help you spend money. Turkey decoys are on sale this week.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:36 PM
I have been there three times this week already- I can't wait for the Princess Auto to open up next door!   :ahhh

As if Cabelas didn't already cost enough, one of my next great weakness stores is going in right next door!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:42 PM
I have been there three times this week already- I can't wait for the Princess Auto to open up next door!   :ahhh

As if Cabelas didn't already cost enough, one of my next great weakness stores is going in right next door!

Def

Ha, didn't know you are a fan of PA. I'm glad there isn't one in QC (or Lee Valley for that matter), saved me buying a lot of crap I won't use.

ca Offline JP

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 05:56:28 PM
I think MEC should put a store out here. It would do well due to the Cabela's draw and it's offerings would complement Cabela's.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 05:19:03 PM
For pedal screws, after bolstering  the rack as you mentioned, I would place small rubber grommet between screw head and body of kayak. A good brushing off/ graphite application of the pedal rack is  great help.

I have an older Wilderness Systems and Islander,  simpler kayaks, but I have run them roughshod. I use cut up strips of an old frisbee and a heat gun at 1100 Fahrenheit to patch cracks and small holes. Then I file it down. Not always pretty, but one of my repairs has yet to fail.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 04:01:56 AM
Thanks for the advice- I haven't heard any complaints yet this year about water leakage, so I am guessing I got it done properly.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%