Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lost my Charge XTi after 9 years, what should I replace it with?

Offline maxpowers

• New User
I think it fell out my coat pocket while climbing a ladder in the barn. This was a few months ago and it still hasn't turned up. So it's now probably in a manure pile somewhere for archeologists to find.

Any recommendations for a replacement? I was thinking full size, I use the serrated blade more than anything else, they're great for cutting bale twine. I would also occasionally use the saw, don't think I ever used the file. I think I'd use the cutting hook on occasion too. A phillips head would be nice, also want pliers/needle nose with the wire cutters.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Welcome to :MTO: max :cheers:

I think if you were happy with the XTi then a TTi may be what you want  :tu: It has everything you are wanting and is a newer version of yours except insteam of double bit driver it has a bit driver and scissors :tu: If you can do without the gut hook then the Wave would also be an option :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Bummer about the XTi.  Maybe consider the Charge ALX.  It's not Ti nor does it have the S30V blade but overall its a pretty fair comparison to the XTi.  The ALX comes with a 154CM blade and for the most part will be very familiar to you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Bummer about the XTi.  Maybe consider the Charge ALX.  It's not Ti nor does it have the S30V blade but overall its a pretty fair comparison to the XTi.  The ALX comes with a 154CM blade and for the most part will be very familiar to you.

I forgot about that one :facepalm: Yeah that would be better option if the Titanium doesn't matter :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
:imws: 'nough said :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Welcome to the group mate,nothing to add  :salute:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Welcome to the forum. If weight isn't an issue I would recommend a Leatherman Surge, but if you want a tool the same size as you lost, then it's as the guys have said above.

ca Offline JP

LM MUT!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
SwissTool, heavy duty and it would be very hard to lose such a high polish finish in any pile of poop. Not saying I have experience so you'll just have to take my word for it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:38:25 AM by pa_strunk »
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I can think of some cheaper, similar and reliable quick access tools with saw, serrated edge, NN pliers and Phillips

- LM Wave
- LM Surge
- LM Charge

- LM OHT
- Gerber MP800

and if OHO blades are not necessary, and not exactly needle nose

- Swisstool
- Spirit

and with all inner tools accessible once deployed

- Gerber Pro Scout
- LM ST300
- LM Rebar
- Gerber Diesel
- SOG PP
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
I think a Surge would serve you very well. The Blade exchanger allows for all sorts of different t-shank blades (and the file, if you felt like carrying it around too). Personally I prefer the Charge sized multitools, but plenty of people find the Surge to be plenty compact enough for them.

Having said that, I have a Leatherman XTi I am getting ready to sell. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Good luck finding a good replacement!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline maxpowers

• New User
Thanks, these options will get me going. Will take me a while to sort through them all. I do like that ruler on the swisstool, that would be pretty handy to have, I do a lot of DIY projects.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Thanks, these options will get me going. Will take me a while to sort through them all. I do like that ruler on the swisstool, that would be pretty handy to have, I do a lot of DIY projects.

Hacked your own MT  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
R1.jpg
* R1.jpg (Filesize: 211.23 KB)

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
If you are in the US, good condition XTi's are not that hard to find, they show up on eBay all the time. I think if you were happy with XTi, its replacement ALX won't cut it. The comfort of those textured Ti scales is undeniable.

Offline JCast265

Re: Lost my Charge XTi after 9 years, what should I replace it with?
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:04 AM

Hacked your own MT  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Sorry to dig up an old thread, just wondering how the fitting of the SOG v-cutter went.  Thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%