Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use or know about canes?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Anyone use or know about canes?
on: May 23, 2017, 04:29:28 PM
Ok, like it says who knows about canes, If so what type, and for what? Idk if I need to start using a cane or not and if so which type I should use? There's those 7, like a upside down L shape, a L like with the little front knob, the loop ? ones, or the ¡ just a simple stick with a ball on the top.
   Most of the time I'm ok, don't get me wrong I have a very bad back and have to be very careful not to throw it out, I originally threw it out back when I was 16. I was bowling I slid and I had my hips were turned, but my thumb stuck in the ball and I twisted so fast I fell right to the floor! So normally once every 2-3 months I'll be doing the norm and the smallest most simple move my back goes out, I get a very bad pinch where it hurts especially to sit up or stand up, once I'm standing it's better but if I don't move it starts crushing and if I don't start moving I better sit cause if not it will be getting so tight I'll be on my knees!
  So I was just wondering if anyone knows anything on canes and what's good and for what? Thanks,, pm me if it's a subject you don't want public..
JR
IMG_7219.PNG
* IMG_7219.PNG (Filesize: 112.83 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Anyone use or know about canes?
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:40:53 PM
I am thinking we had a thread somewhere about canes :think: It would be a good read for you from what I remember of it :tu: I will see if I can find it :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:45:15 PM
I've used a walking stick all the time since June 2012.

My advice is...

Avoid the ones with the round knob handles, they aren't very stable compared to the normal handle ones.  Avoid the novelty ones like dogs heads unless they are good ones designed for ergonomics as they can have a lot of hot spots on them and aren't comfy to use for any length of time.  You can't go wrong with the standard handled ones or ergonomic handled ones, I find they are the most comfy.

The other main consideration is length, either get an adjustable one, one you can cut to the exact length you need, or one made at that correct length. For instance, many of the standard lengths tend to be 36.5" or 37" which was no good for me as I need a 39" walking stick for optimal comfort for my use.

The next is the ferrule on the bottom, grip is key, and the more you buy the cheaper they are. I buy heavy duty ones that last better on concrete floors, but also have the rings to allow grip on slicker floors. I only get about 2 months max out of them but buying at 50 a time I get them for 55p each instead of £1-50 if you buy individually.

Lastly is a lanyard, a lot of people don't like them but I have a shock cord (elastic) one on all of mine so you can easily let go and grip a railing without dropping your stick.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:46:54 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:46:49 PM
I think this is the thread I am thinking about :think: :tu: Seems to be more on trekking poles until 2nd or 3rd page :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68335.0.html

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:08:02 PM
Thanks Kevin, if I go ahead and get one I got to be a little diff, something unique, but yeah it would have to be comfy.. I mean heck I even thought of putting a skull head gear shifter knob on a stick, like come on, tell me that wouldn't look cool. But yeah I don't think it would be to comfy..
JR
IMG_7225.PNG
* IMG_7225.PNG (Filesize: 98.86 KB)
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:26 PM
I think this is the thread I am thinking about :think: :tu: Seems to be more on trekking poles until 2nd or 3rd page :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68335.0.html
That's the page I was looking for, I found one but it wasn't that one..
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22:08 AM
All I can suggest is to go out there and try them all...pick the one that you can live with that fits you and feels the most comfortable.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:00 AM
All I can suggest is to go out there and try them all...pick the one that you can live with that fits you and feels the most comfortable.
Thanks, I think I need to just get over it and get one. I think my brain is thinking oh cool, but at the same time, like dude your only 38 you don't need one.. :facepalm:
JR

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 05:22:52 AM
Some years back a minister friend of mine had a knee operation. Afterwards he needed a cane and went down to an Asian market in LA where he was living at the time and picked up one that felt comfortable. Several months later a policeman friend of his got to looking at the cane and proceeded to pull out a sword blade. A BIG no-no!   :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:38 AM
I saw one a hook cane and was like now that is cool, the hook split down the center and turned into a seat! I've seen some neat seat ones but that was like cool cause it wouldn't weigh an extra or have extra legs. Or even one of those vintage worlds fair ones that were a squar handle that split..
JR

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:52:04 AM
Thanks, I think I need to just get over it and get one. I think my brain is thinking oh cool, but at the same time, like dude your only 38 you don't need one.. :facepalm:
JR

I know the feeling well, Justin. I'm 43 and can't go beyond the end of the street without my stick. I reached the conclusion quite quickly that it would hurt my pride more to fall over in the street rather than it would to use the stick.

It's been a big help, not just in stability, but in getting tolerance from others. People are generally more considerate on crossings, at doorways, and generally in the street. That can really help if I'm having a bad day.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:00 PM
Some years back a minister friend of mine had a knee operation. Afterwards he needed a cane and went down to an Asian market in LA where he was living at the time and picked up one that felt comfortable. Several months later a policeman friend of his got to looking at the cane and proceeded to pull out a sword blade. A BIG no-no!   :D

He's lucky that he is a minister- I doubt too many others would have gotten away with that!   :ahhh
I saw one a hook cane and was like now that is cool, the hook split down the center and turned into a seat! I've seen some neat seat ones but that was like cool cause it wouldn't weigh an extra or have extra legs. Or even one of those vintage worlds fair ones that were a squar handle that split..
JR

Hook canes are nice and classic, but the design of the one I have (and is at the far right in your original pic) is such that is puts the shaft of the cane in line with your arm and hand, which is much more stable than the standard crook type that has the shaft offset somewhat.

Still, I agree- whatever is comfortable and what you like is going to be the best option.  It doesn't matter how good a cane (or cell phone, or multitool, or flashlight etc) is if you've left it at home.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:45:20 PM
JR

I know the feeling well, Justin. I'm 43 and can't go beyond the end of the street without my stick. I reached the conclusion quite quickly that it would hurt my pride more to fall over in the street rather than it would to use the stick.

It's been a big help, not just in stability, but in getting tolerance from others. People are generally more considerate on crossings, at doorways, and generally in the street. That can really help if I'm having a bad day.

+1 on that

Don't let age bother you, I was 38 when I had to start using one, in June 2012. If you need one, then you need one.  They can make a big difference in how much more you can do or how much further you can walk with having one. 

After you get your first one and get used to it you can look around for some custom ones. My first was a aluminium adjustable NHS one and it was great for setting up and measuring so I knew exactly what length I needed. Once I knew what size I needed I bought a few different ones. Cold Steel do some nice walking sticks, their Dragon walking stick is my daily use stick.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 08:20:16 PM
Idk what I would do without you guys, I think I'll end up doing what Kevin said and just find some cheap simple cane and work with it then go from there, cause like the boss said it don't matter how good it is if you don't use it!

I'd so love some unique wood one, I'd really like those ooollllld fair seat canes, cause well their unique and if been walking too much and need to loosen the back up you can just pop the handle and rest, and unlike the newer ones that have 3-4 legs it's just a simple stick with a unique handle.. I just don't know how good the handle is for when walking, or knowing my luck if I was to sit on it, it would break and the stick end up somewhere :whistle:

Idk I still can't believe I'm really pondering about getting one :facepalm:
JR
IMG_7251.PNG
* IMG_7251.PNG (Filesize: 251.32 KB)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:23 PM
It looks like it will be comfy with that handle shape, but if the 2 halves don't lock together it could be the new Mr Pinchy

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:22:18 PM
The sad thing about walking sticks is....

The silly looking medical ones with light aluminium poles, big chunky grippy ferrules, and an offset handle (so your weight is actually in line with the shaft) look terrible....but are also the best to use  :facepalm:

I only use mine for extended standing days (say, conventions etc) - It's a handmade Lagarostrobos one. Cost a fortune, and it took me buying two others first that were not quite right.

As I only use it a few times a year, I can afford to be a little bit fancy ;) - If it was required daily, I'd probably sacrifice some style for extra comfort.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:42 PM
The other problem with the gadgetty canes is the weight.

If you look through the other cane thread, you'll see a pic of one that I got for my birthday, which actually has a detachable umbrella. It's actually fine for shorter walks, but after half an hour the additional weight becomes noticable.

There's also the issue of durability. If the hinge breaks on that shooting stick (with "seat" handle), or the stick skids from under you, your back will be totally buggered. Quite literally if both wings break off at once  :ahhh

Keep it simple, Justin. Once you've got used to using one, you'll know exactly what you need to look for in a good stick.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 12:41:00 AM
The other problem with the gadgetty canes is the weight.

Keep it simple, Justin. Once you've got used to using one, you'll know exactly what you need to look for in a good stick.
I'm still looking but that's pretty much what I'm going to do, just a simple blue aluminum one, this way I can put stickers on it..
JR

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 05:49:20 AM
50ft-trad, if you need ferrules for your cane when using it without the umbrella, try the ones made for quad canes, they're smaller.  My Irish blackthorns all came with metal ferrules which are useless if you really need a cane for walking, but the quad cane tips slip right over the metal ferrules in most cases.
P1110740.JPG
* P1110740.JPG (Filesize: 155.18 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
50ft-trad, if you need ferrules for your cane when using it without the umbrella, try the ones made for quad canes, they're smaller.  My Irish blackthorns all came with metal ferrules which are useless if you really need a cane for walking, but the quad cane tips slip right over the metal ferrules in most cases.

Interesting point, Alan. I'll certainly check that out. The ferrule would have to slip off easily too, as the walking stick part nests inside the tubular handle of the brolly. Once removed, the stick is only Dia 14.35mm (0.565"), and is a fairly snug fit in the brolly.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 02:36:24 PM
Alan and Al Trading Tips About Tips for Walking Sticks.

If that doesn't have BBC Special written all over it I don't know what does!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:51 PM
Alan and Al Trading Tips About Tips for Walking Sticks.

If that doesn't have BBC Special written all over it I don't know what does!  :D

Def

Hey, I'd tune in!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 08:30:50 AM
It doesn't sound very exciting to me, but the BBC could probably stretch it out to a 6 part mini series narrated by David Attenborough.  I'm in.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 04:00:53 PM
It doesn't sound very exciting to me, but the BBC could probably stretch it out to a 6 part mini series narrated by David Attenborough.  I'm in.

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 04:04:03 PM
I used a cane for a few months after an accident.  It was issued by my doc at the time and it sure helped.  It was a very basic one.  I think if I was required to use one full time I'd test drive a few cheaper ones to start.  Get a feel for the nuances then go from there. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:07 PM
Well I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a Rx, me and the Mrs went and while walking I said I wanted to check out the canes, needless to say I got a weird look! She said but you want a hiking stick(which I have two of) thus why she didn't really want me to get one. She said "a cane"? I said, yeah I've been talking to the guys on the forum and they pretty much talked me into getting one, just get a plain and simple one and then go from there. Needless to say she looked shocked!
   So I saw one online and it got my attn, just a simple aluminum adjustable one, and the pharmacy sold them, so while down there I checked them out and it felt very comfortable! Needless to say I didn't get it, they didn't have my color! That and the price was way higher then if I just got it online. I got one more stop tonight, got to get grocerys at wallyworld so I'll check them out, if not I guess I'll be ordering one..

Oh Kevin, what type of feet thingies, a ferrule? Are you talking about, I saw these..
JR
IMG_7282.PNG
* IMG_7282.PNG (Filesize: 58.84 KB)
IMG_7281.PNG
* IMG_7281.PNG (Filesize: 68.56 KB)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:31:10 PM by MadPlumbarian »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 09:40:13 PM
That's the kind of ferrule. The stick in the picture will come with a hard wearing one so you'll be good for a while.  Those sticks are great for a first one, you can adjust it to just the right height and take your measurements off it for getting others.

This is the type I have at the moment....
http://www.rubberferrules.co.uk/type-d-replacement-typed-type-d-black-heavy-duty-replacement-black-rubber-ferrules-stoppers-type-d-tips-bottoms-feet-ends-tips-ideal-for-crutches-walking-sticks-walkingsticks-canes-typed-walking-sticks-wooden-walkingsticks-canes-aluminium-walking-sti/25mm-replacement-typed-type-d-black-heavy-duty-replacement-black-rubber-ferrules-stoppers-type-d-tips-bottoms-feet-ends-tips-ideal-for-crutches-walking-sticks-walkingsticks-canes-typed-walking-sticks-wooden-walkingsticks-canes-aluminium-walking-stick.html

Make sure you order the correct diameter ferrules. That stick will be either 19 or 22mm

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:44:54 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 05:41:54 AM
Well I grew a set and did it, I bought one! It's not the one I wanted, well it is but just not the color, but heck it was half the price so why not? So I gotta do a little work and customize it, but it's here!
JR
IMG_7289.PNG
* IMG_7289.PNG (Filesize: 90.84 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 05:47:40 AM
Here are a few from my collection. I do not need one, but am fully ready in case of an emergency or need down the road.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 05:59:48 AM
Here are a few from my collection. I do not need one, but am fully ready in case of an emergency or need down the road.

Lol, a couple beauties in there!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%