Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Squirt P4 vs Leatherman PS4

Aloha · 11 · 5736

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Leatherman Squirt P4 vs Leatherman PS4
on: May 23, 2017, 05:30:21 PM
I can pretty much sum this up with declaring the Leatherman P4 winner. 

The P4 was discontinued for the PS4.  The micro flat driver and awl were replaced with a pair of scissors.  Many MT aficionados cry foul when scissors are not added to their favorite MTs.  In this case from all I've read the PS4 scissors are an utter fail.   I haven't used them so in all fairness I personally cannot attest to the scissors being good or not.  What I will say is if you are a heavy scissor user then maybe the Micra is for you or track down a Squirt S4.   

The P4 wins simply due to the ease of accessing the nail nick,  yes its that simple.   The PS4 somehow forgot to cut out a space on the scales like on the P4.   If I struggle to get a tool out then I'm not likely to carry the tool.

The posts that hold the tool together on the PS4 are peened flatter.  The P4s are more bulbous so hand feel for some may be a big deal.  The scale feel of the PS4 is quite nice ( textured ) as compared to the slick feel of the P4.

If you are deciding between the two then my vote is for the P4.  I see plenty on auction sites so they are not particularly rare or hard to come by. 

IMG_2943.JPG
* IMG_2943.JPG (Filesize: 211.84 KB)
IMG_2944.JPG
* IMG_2944.JPG (Filesize: 181.75 KB)
IMG_2942.JPG
* IMG_2942.JPG (Filesize: 211.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Leatherman Squirt P4 vs Leatherman PS4
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 03:33:07 PM
I like the P4 and S4 more than the Squirt too

I have a red, blue and  grey model. Only one PS4, tho

now, the S4 is not nearly as good as the Micra but in the pliers department I believe they are quite superior

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:23:34 AM
I EDC the PS4, and have a P4 that I bought just to have one.  I prefer the toolset of the PS4, though I'm really hoping to acquire an E4 at some point to possibly replace it.

I like the PS4 scissors well enough, but will confess that the spring broke requiring a warranty replacement from LM. They handled it fine, and I got a new PS4 in exchange for the $5 one I had found on ebay.

If anyone has a $5 E4 that they're anxious to be rid of, I'd love to relieve you of your burden........

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 01:16:37 AM
I never managed to get a E4.  I tried but prices were a bit high for me.  I like the cutouts for the nail nicks on the older Squirts.  I keep my nails short and had a hard time getting the drivers out front the PS4.

I haven't used the scissors but you seem  to experience what others report regarding them on the PS4.  I guess I am spoiled with SAK scissors and much prefer to use them any time I have a need. 

You know, I've never actually had a E4 in hand.  I've certainly never seen one at the fleamarket. 

Good luck.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:04 PM
Thanks!
I may have to settle for an ES4 eventually, I just really wish they hadn't done away with the cutouts and 3D phillips bit...

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:11:18 PM
Incoming opinions!  :ahhh

Micra > S4 > P4 > PS4

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:33:32 PM

Micra > S4 > P4 > PS4

:popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 08:45:31 PM

Micra > S4 > P4 > PS4

:popcorn:

Can you tell I like the dedicated scissors?  :D
But I also have to say that my examples of the S4 and P4 have superb fit and finish. I'd be much quicker to rely on them than the (from my experience) more shaky PS4. The P4 definitely has the best pliers I've tried on a tool of this size. They feel more reassuringly robust then the PS4, at least to me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:38 PM
I think most would say the Micra beats the group as well.  I'm not a heavy scissor user so the pliers on the P4 outweighs the scissors in my usage.  I have an S4 that's going to my daughter because she likes the scissors.  I'm not thinking I'll send along my Micra as well.

Esse Quam Videri

Offline stugumby

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:48:54 AM
It has been my experience that the scissors spring on the Ps4 breaks while in storage position, not while in use. I have had to send back 3 style key chain tools for that reason and 1 ps4 as well. I prefer the older tool, the awl was quite handy as a pokee tool indeed. I really enjoyed the style key chain tool except for the scissors spring. I carry my 3 squirts P4 S4 and E4 in a crystal light drink powder container in my lunch box along with all my bits, and other small tools. Keeps the handles from getting key and coin scratches. Never did mind carrying 2 almost identical tools for 2 minor tool differences. I miss the older tools indeed but fortunately they can be found online for decent prices.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 02:06:18 AM
I agree the older tools can be found at good prices, thankfully.  I've been putting my PS4 thru daily chores to test in fact if the scissors spring will break.  So far so good.  My P4 however is my go to small tool.  My daughter now has the S4 so I'll have to check in with her to see how she's getting along with it.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD