Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Joby GripTight Bike Mount Pro

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Joby GripTight Bike Mount Pro
on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:33 PM
 Back in November of 2016 I bought a Joby GripTight Bike Mount PRO. Claimed it fits ANY smartphone, with or without a case, securely to any handle bar with this rugged mount with a clamping grip. It seemed to be the perfect addition to the TerraTrike Rover's Vera Bars.

First few times out on the roads Joby's strange locking tab slipped out and my phone was dangling over the edge on the bracket's hinge. :ahhh A simple zip tie fixed the issue. Later on I posted a review of their product:

Quote from: Outback Idaho
Slightly disappointed in the Joby GripTight PRO Bicycle Mount... Only two short 3.5 miles rides on the roads of Fruitland, Idaho area, on the TerraTrike Rover, and the small locking tab had failed. 2nd ride out the arm kept flopping out to the right, though the Moto G4 Play was still held in place. Stopped along a roadway, grabbed a zip tie from the pack, and lassoed the issue down. Now it works great again!

Since adding the second mirror am unable to use the other mounting spot, unless there was an extension.

Would be concerned on off-road/graveled areas since there is no bottom stop on the phone mount, or any secondary silicone grip to hold the phone on rougher terrain.

This was the road-side zip tie fix. Say, does MTO have a Zip Tie Award? :D

Here's the same simple zip tie fix in the daylight

Overall I do like the Joby GripTight Bike Mount PRO as I've rode over 100 miles on the TerraTrike Rover now. Not once ever had any phones slip out from the grip. The mounting hardware is good quality. However I am concerned that a phone could eventually slip as the grip mount part ages, or while going down a hard pack trail. Would of liked to have an adjustable bottom arm to come down & lock to keep the phone from slipping downwards - as a precaution.

As for heir claim that it fits any phone case they are mistaken. Had a cheap case cover on a Samsung S4 and the Joby clamp failed to wrap around. Joby could of made an extender to fit over the clamp and solve more of the case width issues, or made the clamp itself wider. Best way is to take the phone out of its case and and snug that clamp down with one hand while tightening the bolt on the back.

Went to update the review and was met with adversity: The side & top mount can rotate outward. Not exactly sure why its function is designed in this fashion. The only way to keep this piece from rotating outward is a small tab that 'slides under' an area where the bar tensioner is.

The problem is this tab is smooth & having no other means of keeping the phone mount from sliding out from under its recess. I used a zip tie to keep this from happening.

Vibration from roads, sidewalk, grass, and trails will cause the tab to slide out. When this happens the phone can get jostled up and down, and can rotate outward. Any of this can cause phone damage. Joby should of designed a quick release, tabbed, or textured area at this tab location's weak spot.

Don't see how anyone that rides a pedaled cycle has missed this one flaw.

Would like to mount a GoPro Hero Session off the side mount. Well, did find a GoPro Tripod Adapter last night, along with a vented helmet mount for the Hero Session that I recently picked up.

Edit: Here is a photo of the Joby GripTight Bike Mount PRO in use on the TT Rover. :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:15:45 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Joby GripTight Bike Mount Pro
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:43 PM
Added zip tie to the possible badge ideas list.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30