Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poweraccess question

tonyg · 20 · 4287

Offline tonyg

Poweraccess question
on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:24 AM
If I want to tighten or loosen the tool groups on my Poweraccess, what bits are required?  One side looks like a conventional hex bit, but the opposite side looks different.  Thanks in advance.........

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Poweraccess question
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:42:16 AM
Any other SOG I would be able to help. I have not seen or messed with one of the new ones in person. Hopefully some of the ones here that do have one will be able to help you.
If it is anything like the PowerLocks or PowerAssist, it should be the same on both sides.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:44:43 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

Offline tonyg

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 03:00:53 AM
the one side looks like it might have a pin in the center, sorta like a security torx bit, only not torx.  But it's pretty tiny, and the old eyes ain't what they once were.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:16 AM
I can't figure our what it takes either, and I need to tighten it down a bit. Frustrating that they couldn't just choose a typical sized torx and call it good.

Weird
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:39:14 AM
I just checked mine. All are T8. I adjusted mine yesterday.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

Offline tonyg

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 01:27:10 PM
thanks.......like I said: eyes not what they used to be.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:01:46 PM
Mine are odd. My PowerAccess has a normal Hex head that accepts 2mm, 3/64" & T8 torx bits.But there is another indention inside the bolt that accepts T6 torx bits. Very weird.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:21:59 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:37 PM
Weirdo PowerAccess pivot screws:

Closeup:

All 8 pivot posts/screws are like this.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 06:41:56 PM
Looks like you can use two different sizes in the screw head.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:50 PM
Made me curious, had to check mine. This must be a change in manufacturing as mine has only 3 that accept T6.  :think:  One on the key ring attachment, but not the other side; and both on the pocket clip (upper & lower).
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:23:36 AM
I don't think they're designed to fit T-anything.  It looks like a standard (imperial/inch size) hex socket that hasn't been formed cleanly.  The smaller hex that's visible at the bottom of the hole is just the remains of the material forced down as part of the broaching process that's used to make the hex.

Offline tonyg

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:10 PM
I wrote toSog and they said to use either a T-6 or T-8 torx bit.  All I have in that size is a Leatherman double ended flat bit, and it seems to be a poor fit.  Anyone here tried a conventional Torx bit, either T-6 or T-8?

fi Offline Padre

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:42:36 PM

Closeup:
(Image removed from quote.)

That closeup looks weird. It should not be like that, I'm sure.
Its like allen screw gone wrong.
Its like they tried to make it torx later on, but failed.
 :think:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 07:23:02 PM

Closeup:
(Image removed from quote.)

That closeup looks weird. It should not be like that, I'm sure.
Its like allen screw gone wrong.
Its like they tried to make it torx later on, but failed.
 :think:
Based on SOG's response to tonyg, it looks like it was very intentional. T-6 & T-8 are very different sizes, so there's no way it was an accident. Torx drivers are also designed to fit into standard Hex Head screws. So a T8 torx driver will work as a substitute for a 3/32" Allen head. Keep in mind that my PowerAcess is a bit dirty, which is why the screw looks so odd. The bolts are in reality very well formed.

Also, in the above comment I made I made two typos, the bits that fit were 3/32" and 2.5mm, not 3/64" & 2mm hex.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 01:22:46 AM
Aside from the odd torx/hex head, did you guys do anything else to unscrew it?  Like use a lighter on it to melt superglue or any of that?  I'm more afraid of stripping the screws.....

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:23:22 AM
Heating it with a lighter to loosen any loctite on it would be helpful, but i've never needed it, nor have i had any trouble with stripping the screws on my SOGs, Leathermans, or Gerbers

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 02:13:33 PM
Thanks for the tips! I was able to adjust the plier side pivots of my PowerAccess. I can flip it open easier now. I used the T8 bit of my SAK CT41 and a USD3 driver bit set from a novelty gift shoppe.

It went so smoothly that I'm left craving for extra tools to replace the file in the PowerAccess.

Yes, I left the pocket clip on and Yes, it can flip ala balisong now.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 03:33:55 AM
Have you guys added/swapped any of the tools of the PowerAccess?  Maybe like give it scissors or wood saw....or anything to replace the 3-sided file?

Did you have a donor tool?  Are the PowerAccess handles too thin to accommodate standard SOG spare implements?  Thanks!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:27 PM
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I plan to. Im not sure anything will drop in, because the locking area of the PowerAccess is much wider than other multitools. You could use standard SOG or Leatherman parts it if you have a Dremel, or even files, but you would have to reshape the locking area.

Offline CM75

• New User
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 11:54:56 PM
If I want to tighten or loosen the tool groups on my Poweraccess, what bits are required?  One side looks like a conventional hex bit, but the opposite side looks different.  Thanks in advance.........
I’m working on the same issue, my poweracess screw removal. I had no issue with one side on the top right but the top left with the pocket clip on it… another story. The Wiha T8 holds no problem but I have slipping issues (not stripped yet) with craftsman T8, Lexivon, and a nice little set that came with driver and mini hex bits by the brand Nanch, the T8 slipped on that also, another high end bit driver that I love, I’m not sure what brand bits it came with but that T8 slipped too.

I’m going to buy another set of Wiha which before I purchased my first set I read forums on stripped screws and Wiha had great reviews, even for stripped screws. They’re made in Germany and you can get a decent set for $20 on amazon.

My last chance if I want to attempt this again is use the Leatherman bits that came with my Charge which had a bit set and options on the Leatherman site to buy a larger set of bits also.

We’ll see what happens, I didn’t try heating it to loosen the lock-tight like i read above but that may work. All i was trying to do was see if I could loosen & tighten the pocket clip a little and it’s nice to know you can work on your tools, so it’s not 100% necessary just frustrating.

Last thing, thanks for the info on writing SOG and getting a response although a T6 would defiantly be spinning like top in my screws.

Good luck everyone with our SOG Power-access’ which is one good looking multi tool and works well, I also bought the delux too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD