Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How much actual value is lost?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
How much actual value is lost?
on: May 25, 2017, 03:57:14 PM
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll "What type of collector/acquirer are you?".  Its great to see so many using their tools enjoying them.  I can certainly understand every side.  As always my feelings are, to each their own. 

What this thread is about is those who opened and used the tool then decide the tool wasn't for them.  They now want to sell the tool but has the value diminished by a large margin?  This might be all determined by what tool we're talking about so anything is up for debate.

What did Old Cross Red Alox originally sell for?  We've certainly seen those prices pretty high and I'm not talking new old stock either. 

Since I buy discounted tools or second hand tools the price is always lower than new so when or if I decide to sell I mostly break even.  Maybe my situation is not the best example but I do see tools on the auction sites selling for decent money used.

The Juice SX which was quickly discontinued is a good example as the prices for even used tools is high.  I don't think anyone who bought that tool thought it would command such price or even be disco'd so soon after release.       

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: How much actual value is lost?
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 04:07:00 PM
The I mostly buy used as well but have been known to buy new :tu: I also save boxes and packages for this reason :cheers: I don't sell a lot so I may be the wrong one to answer this :whistle: I do know that a tool that I use is worth more to me than a NIB that I can't or won't use ;) But that is a whole other thread :D

I will say that value holds and rises with some tools and not others :tu: I just wished I knew which ones would hold and rise in value and I would buy a hunch of them and hold on to them for future sales :rofl:

Good thread Aloha :like:

:popcorn:

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:09:40 PM
I almost always buy used (books, music, guitars, cars etc), and so far it's been that way with MTs and SAKs, save for gifts and reductions on new stock off the shelf.

Buying new is always a worry for me for this exact reason, so as tempting as a new <whatever> is, I have to keep my brain in check and think of the possible losses.

Offline mtn

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:11:16 PM
Multitools are relatively cheap. So you really can't lose too much value on them--considering my other hobbies (cars, guitars*, hockey), it is really extremely cheap in terms of money you can lose.
As for predicting which ones will appreciate, figure out which ones have a very unique feature or perfect tool set, and then buy shortly after they've been discontinued. Especially if there is no apparent replacement in place (i.e. Sideclip, Flair, Gerber Fisherman models, etc.)

*I have never lost money on a guitar, and have owned over 30

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:07:20 PM
Any MT I buy that is in a sealed clamshell is almost certain to stay in that (unopened) clamshell (unless it is purchsed as a user).  From a collectors viewpoint the most desirable condition is "new" in a sealed clamshell - I have known people to pay twice the price for a "new" MT compared with what they will pay for a used version of the exact same tool.  Some collectors try to only buy "new" tools, but I find that is a bit limiting with really rare tools (as an example, I was happy to buy a really beat up LM Squirt because it was the only yellow one I had ever seen, and I suspect I will die of old age before I ever see a "new" one).

I'm expecting Gerber MP650s to appreciate in value over time, so I have bought (more than) a few over the last couple of years.  They seem to be "collectable" these days and Gerber don't seem likely to make any more. 

I also have several of the orginal Gerber Mr Pinchy variants, and I've noticed the price of them gradually creeping up as well - when I first started collecting them they were reasonably cheap.

What will kill any potential profits for me is the big increase in international shipping postage fees - this has increased way more than the value of my MTs over the last 3 years or so.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:13:35 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:19:13 PM
All of it.  :facepalm:

I wanted to sell my 7 most expensive and completely unused good as new fixed blades, the only market available is South Africa via a FB page.

Priced them less than cost and on most that was about 75% of the current new price due to increases and exchange rates, not a bad deal I think.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 08:41:06 PM
Most of the stuff I don't use ends up in a box. I've sold a few collector's items, no losses there.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:55 PM
Most of the stuff I don't use ends up in a box. I've sold a few collector's items, no losses there.
Am I the only one who'd like to see this box? :dd:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 05:58:36 AM
I think a new Al Mar 4x4 NIB >>>take it out, use it would lose half its value at least?

I remember when i found a cache of original Waves at walmart a few years ago the value of them being in blister pack made it seem like i could toss out a number (within some reason) and they would sell regardless. Opened, I gander the value would have been 25 to 50 % less.
:like:    :MTO:

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 05:14:18 PM
I believe it's a factor of how long was it owned+amount of use+condition+maintenance of new buyer for repairs or cleaning-rarity. Rarity is the one factor that is hard to gauge. You need to look at it locally and international plus how the tool was sourced.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 05:50:31 PM
I don't think rarity is that big a factor in determining the price an MT will sell for.  I have seen very rare MTs that are relatively unknown sell quite cheaply, simply because hardly anyone knows about them so there is not much demand.

Far more important is whether demand is greater than supply - that is what pushes prices up, even if there is a plentiful supply eg Kershaw A100s usually sell for more than $100, despite there being lots for sale all the time on US ebay.

Sometimes one example of a particular tool will sell for a much higher price than previously, and you will see a rash of the same tool being offered for higher prices.  This was quite noticeable recently after a Craftsman 45505 mini MT (a re-labelled SeberTool M4) set off a bidding war on US ebay and sold for over $100 , but the flurry seems to have died down now.  Prior to that $30-40 would buy you a nice one.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 09:27:36 PM
It seems like old Alox will sell for more than new, for sure... even used.
Especially when it comes to different colors of farmers cadets  pioneers old cross and what not. 
you might see a gently used old cross farmer selling for over $100. Have you seen how much even the even heavily used Soldiers from the 60s and 70s go for?

I think it all depends on how common and collectible the pieces are.

It's crazy. Somehow, I've ended up with probably over 50 Spartans in my day and when I sell them on eBay even if its An older   Spartan in excellent shape, they scarcely go for over $10.

Leatherman Gerber and Spyderco hold their value really well I've noticed.

In my opinion, I think very little overall value is lost when there is only gentle use all of these tools were built to last.  Silver Aox ages really well. But pretty much all other Swiss Army knives do  have cosmetic problems arising early on in their use.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:31:09 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%