Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Emerson Multitasker EDC-2 for Hunting and Skinning (and trying to fix) a Robot

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Well... In reality, it was an AGV (Automated Guided Vehicle) but technically speaking (and according to Wikipedia) they are a kind of mobile robot  :D

Last months I have been working on an automated storage facility which uses this OTTO's to do all the deliveries, but suddenly we had reports that one of them had started to do some weird stuff, like freezing in the middle of its path or moving erratically from a place to another.

So I had to start a stakeout on these guys, tagging and following them all over the place, like a hunter behind his prey

And, I must confess that I also used them like beasts of burden from time to time...  :rofl:

Once I found the Rogue One, I had to immobilize it and proceed with the killing (of his battery) :D   

Actually, I didn't use the blade, just the screwdriver (Mostly like a prybar because is rock solid) and my trusty TWIST

And continue with the skinning er... Removal of its cover parts and proceed to clean the innards of the beast...

More to come (hopefully) soon ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:16:55 PM by Ombudsman »

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I recently performed much the same operation on a Roomba while using a Sync II.

I hope your results are as good as mine was!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline surfdaworld

Love it!
If you're able to divulge, I'd love to learn more about the species in question. What type of guidance/navigation do they use?  Maximum carry capacity?  Any interesting stories about working in a warehouse full of robots? Any plans to take over the world?
 :ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Ever have a few cold ones and ride one of them around for a while?

Wait..... better not answer that....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline surfdaworld

also, a large red button on the droid has caught my attention.  I confess to feeling an irresistible urge to press it, just to see what happens.........
 :pok:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
I recently performed much the same operation on a Roomba while using a Sync II.

I hope your results are as good as mine was!

Def

Thanks Grant ! so far I haven't spotted the fault, but hopefully it will be an easy fix.

And yes, Roombas are very similar to this kind of AVG.  :tu:

Love it!
If you're able to divulge, I'd love to learn more about the species in question. What type of guidance/navigation do they use?  Maximum carry capacity?  Any interesting stories about working in a warehouse full of robots? Any plans to take over the world?
 :ahhh

AGV's are a very interesting species indeed. This specimen in particular, is a OTTO 1500 The number comes from its maximum carrying capacity, 1500 kgs (roughly 3300 pounds). For navigation/guidance they use a LIDAR ( Actually 2, one in front and one on the back). You can find more specs at the link (even maintenance manuals)

Hehehe, I haven't heard any interesting stories yet (and no plans so far :D) But I've been here only for a couple of months... Maybe just one about a guy who claimed that an AGV was stalking him, and he asked me if they have cameras onboard and record everything they see. I think he was sleeping on the job or something ::)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:41:10 PM by Ombudsman »

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Am I the only one who is a bit sad that this thread didn't involve Terminators? But hey it is the next best thing
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Cool thread! I love the skinning part. :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
I've got both tools,  never carried them together.  Great combo!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Nice!! How much do they run?

us Offline surfdaworld

Very cool.  The last LIDAR unit I worked on was a weather mapping unit, doing a long-term survey of a future renewable energy site.  Slow as hell, but impressive detail in mapping air currents.
I'm guessing Otto's must run a little faster, so you don't have to wait 15 minutes for him to decide if there's an obstacle in his path....

The Multitasker Twist looks like a great little tool!  Do you find it to be flexible/useful enough for everyday general use, or is the toolset too weapon-specific to get much daily functionality out of it?

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Am I the only one who is a bit sad that this thread didn't involve Terminators? But hey it is the next best thing

Indeed ! especially when they start chasing after you with those glowing red eyes

I've got both tools,  never carried them together.  Great combo!

Thanks !  The Twist is great for dealing with screws also for networks hardware and cables. Adding the cutting capabilities and strong prybar like drivers from the EDC-2 makes them a great combo. And a feature I like a lot is the easily opening capabilities of the blade with Emerson's Wave   

Nice!! How much do they run?
Well... It's not like I can't out run them cause their maximum speed is 4.5 MPH :D

Very cool.  The last LIDAR unit I worked on was a weather mapping unit, doing a long-term survey of a future renewable energy site.  Slow as hell, but impressive detail in mapping air currents.
I'm guessing Otto's must run a little faster, so you don't have to wait 15 minutes for him to decide if there's an obstacle in his path....

The Multitasker Twist looks like a great little tool!  Do you find it to be flexible/useful enough for everyday general use, or is the toolset too weapon-specific to get much daily functionality out of it?

Yes, they navigation hardware/software is kinda impressive. And the Twist has been a great EDC tool for me, I use it mostly as a screwdriver but some of the weapon-specific tools work great for other tasks. You can find some examples in this other tread:
 The TWIST as an IT Tool

By the way... The little bugger is up and running again!

But still naked  :rofl:

us Offline surfdaworld

Clothes are overrated.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31