Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well, that explains a lot...

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Well, that explains a lot...
on: May 27, 2017, 03:13:32 PM
Frequently, I often wonder why it's so hard to find good knives cheaply  at the flea market held on Monday at the livestock market about 20 minutes from me. Only one   Then, I noticed this Ebay seller's location, which is in Pounding Mill, VA around half an hour from me.   The start date for the auctions was on Tuesday, a day after. It may be coincidental, but I swear the guy bought them at the flea market here to flip. With his listings, it's like he bought every freakin' knife that was selling cheaply there, as well as any older toy car (something I also dabble in).  Quite frankly, I give up with the flea market here, since what knives I do find when I get there around 9  at the flea market are grossly overpriced.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jjm4112/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:44:05 PM by cody6268 »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Well, that explains a lot...
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:25 PM
Around here, I think its a case of no one carries knives, so no one sells knives.  :ahhh :cry:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:04:38 PM
Local auction site here has a flipper who goes around buying up everything, only to relist it at two or three times the price.
Gone are the days of being able to pick up knives and tools for a fair amount.
If I ever meet the guy I'll give slapping the ugly from his face a decent swing.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:16:55 AM
I've never checked Ebay, so not sure if it happens here.

From my experience, the flippers go to all the garage sales, then sell them at extortionate prices at markets.

They might cut a hot lap at 6am at the markets to buy out their cheaper competition, who knows?

Either way, at least they have to do a little legwork...Still, it bugs me that they ask so much for old knives and tools.
Sure they're good, but they're not THAT good.

Everyone's gotta make a living I guess...

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 04:31:01 PM
It's sad how some people try to profit as a middleman.

This also happens here. They buy secondhand leathermans and then sell ot online more than the retail price.

Also agriculture here is getting bad. Farmers sell rice to middlemen for a low price and is then sold for a higher price to the public.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:58:55 PM

Ask me about real estate agents  >:(  :twak:   :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:29 PM
They provide a service. It is up to you to decide if you want to pay for that service, that is how everything works. When I buy a knife in a store here I also pay more, but I get the chance to hold it in my hands, try it out. That is the kind of service that costs money.

You want a house, you either pay someone to build it, or you build it yourself.
If you lack the time or skill to fix your bike you pay someone to do it.
If you lack the time to go to flea-markets you pay someone to go for you.
Don't blame the middleman for getting up early in the morning and earning his livelihood.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:42:25 AM
I know LIVE with one of the guys who manages the TSA and court house surplus knives.

Guess who can get a preview of the good stuff.  :D

Feel free to hate. I still have to stand in line with the guys who drive two hours to flip knives on ebay. But I'm scary and mean looking, so....
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:04 AM

They provide a service. It is up to you to decide if you want to pay for that service, that is how everything works. When I buy a knife in a store here I also pay more, but I get the chance to hold it in my hands, try it out. That is the kind of service that costs money.

Don't blame the middleman for getting up early in the morning and earning his livelihood.

Ah. I think you misunderstood what i mean. Middleman here is not the retailer or the firm they are not accredited to buy and sell. Middleman here are those who buy low and sell high their "service". They are not taxed. Imagine selling a sack of rice for 5 bucks and they sell it to for 20 bucks. 5 bucks split to a group of farmers minus tax. This kind of "livelihood" disrupts the economy and flow of money especially in the provinces.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 12:30:32 PM

I don't think knife flippers qualify as offering a legit service like those you listed. And I doubt any of those types of service providers are despised in the way any kind of flipper is, whether it be real estate or retail goods.

Personally I don't waste much energy hating them; I just walk by and spend my money elsewhere.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 02:42:30 PM
Same thing happens here with a lot of items. Oddly enough not that many knives. Probably because they are quite expensive to begin with
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%