Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bring back the hollow rivet!!!!

cbl51 · 33 · 2287

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Re: Bring back the hollow rivet!!!!
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:57 PM
I do want to say that this is probably not everyone's experience.  I've been comparing Vic & Wengers from the same year in my collection: '89, '94, '99, and an unstamped Wenger which I'm comparing with an '08 and a Pioneer.  Definitely more snap with Vic the '89 and '94 (the Vic '94 has the thicker tools).  For the later ones, I honestly don't feel or hear much of a difference.   Watching Swissbianco videos, he has commented that older Wenger springs tend to wear out a bit more than Vic.   :cheers:

Basically, I'm super paranoid about saying anything negative about these knives, AWL Wengers I've seen are awlsome. I just prefer Vic... just by a little bit.  :D

I've been wondering why the Wenger SIs have a softer snap compared to their Victorinox counterparts. I have a not very worn 97 Wenger SI with bail (and hollow rivet!) that I really like, but the snap kind of bugged me especially when I compare it to my modern Pioneer. Is it simply weaker spring? I started examining the tang pivot shape (not sure of the exact term but the rounded part that rubs against the spring when you open and close the blade) to see if maybe the Vic had a sharper edge at the end of the curve that caused the blade to pop open more strongly, akin to how the bottle opener tool has the half stop because the tang pivot shape is squared/flat instead of round. Anyways, this is when I noticed that the Vic's tang pivot extends out further past the pivot hole than the Wenger's. It actually looks like the curve ends a little further up on the Vic also. This could at least contribute to the Vic's stronger snap since it's pushing the spring out further right before it snaps open. This is also putting more strain on the spring which could wear out the Vic's spring faster. Finally, another plus for the Wenger side!

Though I like the snap of the Vic, especially on the Waiters, I'm going to tell myself that the soft snap of the Wenger SI is actually more refined and smoother with a better transition.

:think:    SI's are known to have a stronger spring and snap compared to a Vic.

I known mine is.
This depends on the manufacturing period I presume, I have a 91 SI with strong snap and two unstamped SI from 2008+ that have a much weaker/smoother snap :-)

Offline mcrib

Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 12:31:07 AM
I do want to say that this is probably not everyone's experience.  I've been comparing Vic & Wengers from the same year in my collection: '89, '94, '99, and an unstamped Wenger which I'm comparing with an '08 and a Pioneer.  Definitely more snap with Vic the '89 and '94 (the Vic '94 has the thicker tools).  For the later ones, I honestly don't feel or hear much of a difference.   Watching Swissbianco videos, he has commented that older Wenger springs tend to wear out a bit more than Vic.   :cheers:

Basically, I'm super paranoid about saying anything negative about these knives, AWL Wengers I've seen are awlsome. I just prefer Vic... just by a little bit.  :D

I've been wondering why the Wenger SIs have a softer snap compared to their Victorinox counterparts. I have a not very worn 97 Wenger SI with bail (and hollow rivet!) that I really like, but the snap kind of bugged me especially when I compare it to my modern Pioneer. Is it simply weaker spring? I started examining the tang pivot shape (not sure of the exact term but the rounded part that rubs against the spring when you open and close the blade) to see if maybe the Vic had a sharper edge at the end of the curve that caused the blade to pop open more strongly, akin to how the bottle opener tool has the half stop because the tang pivot shape is squared/flat instead of round. Anyways, this is when I noticed that the Vic's tang pivot extends out further past the pivot hole than the Wenger's. It actually looks like the curve ends a little further up on the Vic also. This could at least contribute to the Vic's stronger snap since it's pushing the spring out further right before it snaps open. This is also putting more strain on the spring which could wear out the Vic's spring faster. Finally, another plus for the Wenger side!

Though I like the snap of the Vic, especially on the Waiters, I'm going to tell myself that the soft snap of the Wenger SI is actually more refined and smoother with a better transition.

:think:    SI's are known to have a stronger spring and snap compared to a Vic.

I known mine is.
This depends on the manufacturing period I presume, I have a 91 SI with strong snap and two unstamped SI from 2008+ that have a much weaker/smoother snap :-)

I'm expecting an 88 SI any day now. Hopefully it will have a strong snap, though a refined snap will be ok also.  :-\

As far as hollow rivets go, I'd be all for it on the Pioneer even with the bail. I filed off the keyring eyelet on my Pioneer because it would poke my palm and it was driving me nuts. I still filed it off despite me being the type of person that likes adding lanyard flair to SAKs. After I finished, the fondling factor also went up 100x.

I haven't closed the main blade onto the bail yet on my SI, but I also try to close the main blade slowly. I've noticed with a few of my Vics that I used to snap close, the main blade's edge near the tip will blunt. I'm not sure what the tip bounces against or if it's even the snapping close that was the problem, but now I just made it a habit to close slowly.

The other day there was nice looking Wenger SI with bail on ebay. The one thing I noticed about it was a split on the lip of the hollow rivet.

Would this be an issue? Seems like it would be weaker than a solid rivet in this respect.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 10:09:35 AM
I wouldn't imagine it would affect the strength enough to make any difference. I modded a Farmer and the hollow rivet is slightly cracked in a couple of places due to my peening, but I have used the Farmer for over a year now and it's holding up splendidly - the cracks haven't spread and there is no play at awl in the tools.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD