Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Muela Outdoor 16

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Muela Outdoor 16
on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:50 PM
G'day Friends,

Going to take a moment to review (favourably :P) one of my knives that has seen a lot of use in the last 6 months, and that is the Muela outdoor 16.

Retailing at around $80 AUD and made it spain it is a spiritual brother to Muela's "Combat/Military"  - but without the serrations and fearsome green handle - Instead you get a brassy handle with alloy slabs(The exact alloy escapes me. Something with Zinc - Found it Zamak). At first it seems a little odd in the hand, but it is surprisingly comfortable and grippy.

The blade is 3.5mm thick on the spine, after 50mm it starts tapering into a 1mm swedge,

The blade is a generic hunting shape, which I've found perfectly suited for all those odd tasks - Opening bags and cutting cord to fileting chicken and dicing tomato.

It comes with a fairly simple stitched leather sheath with a snap band to secure the handle - Nothing fancy, but it is as good as anywhere to keep the blade - it has held up well around the house, and in the truck.
I only ever wear it on the belt camping (legal reasons) - It's  quite comfortable and I forget it is there. It hangs low so you don't get the handle digging into your love handles, and it is not an exeptionally large blade so it never gets in the way.

The 16 stands for "16cm" for the blade length, which is a little misleading as the sharpened portion is 14cm with a 2cm space - note exactly a finger choil, but works well as one if you want to choke up on the blade.

It's a basic steel - but takes an edge easy and holds it well enough - I use this knife daily to prep meals (so hits the chopping board a bit) and have to give it a lick on the stone once a month.

The fit and finish is not perfect - The handle rivets sit a little proud, there's small gaps in the fit of the slabs to the handle, and where the blade enters the handle, along with minor manufacturing marks in the blade and the handle - but nothing that detracts from the blade's appearance at more than a foot away, or the function at all.

I'm not a reviewer, so I don't have any particular guide by which to "rate" this bit of kit on any scale - but I will say nothing about this knife is excellent, but everything about is it above-satisfactory - There are no gimmicks, supersteels, or other unusual features - It's a basic knife, and only does what it says on the packet.

I am pleased to have bought this piece - The quality is good enough for me to want to use it every day, and the price is good enough for me to happily use it every day.

If you're considering a Buck 119 then give the Muela Outdoor 16 a look as (potentially depending on your local economy) affordable alternative.

Muela 1.jpg
* Muela 1.jpg (Filesize: 60.45 KB)
Muela 2.jpg
* Muela 2.jpg (Filesize: 54.56 KB)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:59:59 PM by Sea Monster »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Muela Outdoor 16
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:16 PM
Very nice! I to have a Muela, and like it very much. I believe mine is a Jabala 17A with stage scales. It's well built, substantial and versatile, and the sheath is top notch too. Money well spent. Like you, I am also limited as to when it can be carried and used, which is a real shame.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:55:00 PM
Dang, I'm too late to edit my typos and fix some things..

Anyway, I'm not sure, but based on Muela's other entry level knives, I believe it to be 420 Steel.

(50's Jabali is a bit more premium - it should be slightly fancier 440 steel, and obviously stag handles. I have no doubt it's a gorgeous knife, but would retail around $250-300 AUD :P)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:57:39 PM by Sea Monster »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 02:05:28 AM
Yeah, they're fetching silly money, or were the last time I saw one for sale. I fell lucky and got mine for a steal several years ago. My knife is not quite as pretty as it once was, but still a looker in my mind. 4.5mm spine off the swedge, and just under 150mm (6") cutting edge length, so a slightly bigger knife than yours. The balance point is just about on the forefinger in a standard grip.

I know they're not a hugely popular brand, but they're damn good knives IMHO. I have a slipjoint folder from them too, also in stag, but I'm not sure where that one is at the moment. I was going to sell that one, but can't remember if I already did  :think:

Pic of the Jabali attached, with a CT34 for scale.
IMG_20170529_004929_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170529_004929_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 29.54 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:47:30 AM
If/When this one retires/gets lost/faces excesive damage, I'll be looking at getting something from their higher end range. I quite like the Kodiak they do in Sandvik 14C28N  :drool:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:10 PM
Proudly made in my country for decades, I really love that Bowie shape of some of their knives

I've had 8 or 9 of them, and used them extensively. They were my first decent fixed blade knives and came with me on most hikes and trips.
Good memories    :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:48 PM
I have a pair of identical Muelas from... I don't know, 1993?

I guess they're in the combat category, having tacticool black handles and serrated spines.They also came with camo sheaths, but one has entirely disintegrated. Oh, and they're marked ALCE instead of Muela.

The other is the same model, just with more wear.

See, this was a gift from my aunt, who purchased them during a trip to the Canary Islands. One for me, and one for my father (her brother.) The one pictured was my father's, and the reason it's in better shape is my mother "borrowed" mine to use in the kitchen while keeping it hidden from me because it was too scary for teenage me to use. I was never offered any logical explanation as to why it was more dangerous than my Buck Woodsman, but there it is....

At any rate! You guys have some pretty sweet Muelas. Think I like them better than mine... Can't say I'm a big fan of spine serrations  :shrug:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:02:30 AM
Proudly made in my country for decades, I really love that Bowie shape of some of their knives

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I've had 8 or 9 of them, and used them extensively. They were my first decent fixed blade knives and came with me on most hikes and trips.
Good memories    :tu:

I forgot to say it earlier; nice collection you have there  :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44