Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fieldmaster - the most useless SAK? 2457

No Life Club Posts: 4,386
Re: Fieldmaster - the most useless SAK?
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
 :rofl: :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 3,886
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2020, 04:31:49 AM »
I am probably gonna argue that it's the XAVT and Wenger Giant that are the most useless. They both weigh a ton, are ridiculously wide, and obviously--WON"T FIT IN A POCKET! You lose any advantage of the tools being in a "compact' format. I'm sure the little tool kit I made in a Condor pouch probably weighs less than each of them--and it's only full-sized tools.

I had a Classic SD early on, but I didn't own a Spartan until El Corkscrew's giveaway. I now own 3 Spartans (Standard, Spartan, Spartan Serrated) and two Tourists. It's a good "Keep It Simple Stupid" pattern. A basic pocketknife with plenty of stuff, but not a whole lot of bulk.   I can't even explain why I didn't have one until then. Guess a lot of us have weird reasons why we don't own certain models. The only ones I don't own that I want are because they have been out of production for a long time, are rare, or are current production models out of my budget.
Sr. Member Posts: 365
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
I am probably gonna argue that it's the XAVT and Wenger Giant that are the most useless. They both weigh a ton, are ridiculously wide, and obviously--WON"T FIT IN A POCKET! You lose any advantage of the tools being in a "compact' format. I'm sure the little tool kit I made in a Condor pouch probably weighs less than each of them--and it's only full-sized tools.

I had a Classic SD early on, but I didn't own a Spartan until El Corkscrew's giveaway. I now own 3 Spartans (Standard, Spartan, Spartan Serrated) and two Tourists. It's a good "Keep It Simple Stupid" pattern. A basic pocketknife with plenty of stuff, but not a whole lot of bulk.   I can't even explain why I didn't have one until then. Guess a lot of us have weird reasons why we don't own certain models. The only ones I don't own that I want are because they have been out of production for a long time, are rare, or are current production models out of my budget.

From that perspective the XAVT and Giant are useless, no doubt. I am not sure whether it's the right perspective for these items though. Although I don't own any of them, and wouldn't even want the Giant for lack of storage space, I for one can see their appeal as a SAK-related "tech demo". If one considers this to be their actual purpose, they are all of a sudden the most useful of their kind.  ;)

Interesting observation on the Spartan. I actually had to buy my first one, which I did only recently (I already had a Standard, which I got cheap on the bay; since it's NIB and discontinued, it never leaves its drawer tomb though). I too find the Spartan very nice. It has a good weight and size, feels good in the hand and the pocket. Great SAK to carry around, yet ... it has no scissors. So it will be difficult for the Spartan to steal the Compact's crown, at least in my EDC rotation. I guess that's why I chose the Spartan PS :)
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,337
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Good post Cody.  Keeping it simple, the most useless SAK is the one not being carried.  I think this was said earlier.  I've got some great SAKs.  They sit in a dark container never used.  I look at my Explorer as my most useful SAK.  My Manager while sitting on my keys and carried every day is least used as compared.  I pulled my 84mm Artisan/Craftsman aka Fieldmaster small out due to this thread but back into the dark it went.

Great SAK and great size but alas not gonna carry it so useless it is sadly.     

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »
Good post Cody.  Keeping it simple, the most useless SAK is the one not being carried.  I think this was said earlier.  I've got some great SAKs.  They sit in a dark container never used.  I look at my Explorer as my most useful SAK.  My Manager while sitting on my keys and carried every day is least used as compared.  I pulled my 84mm Artisan/Craftsman aka Fieldmaster small out due to this thread but back into the dark it went.

Great SAK and great size but alas not gonna carry it so useless it is sadly.     

Fair enough, but this just amounts to saying that collecting SAKs is pointless. Which is certainly true objectively speaking - after all, nobody needs more than one pocket knife - but entirety disregards the hobby aspect imho
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
No way!  Collecting SAKs is in no way pointless.  I've said over and over again that enjoyment is enough for me and in some situations the point intended.  I have SAKs that purely bring me enjoyment just by owning them and rightly so, which is why I bought them in the first place.  Never intended to use them other than a fondle every now and again.   

Use has multiple meanings.  The owning of SAKs has as many meaning which makes this hobby wonderfully enjoyable.  My post was attempting to relate my usage in my comparison of Explorer vs Manager vs Artisan.  My SAK ownership extends a little beyond those SAKs which most see no actual usage.     

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »
No way!  Collecting SAKs is in no way pointless.  I've said over and over again that enjoyment is enough for me and in some situations the point intended.  I have SAKs that purely bring me enjoyment just by owning them and rightly so, which is why I bought them in the first place.  Never intended to use them other than a fondle every now and again.   

Use has multiple meanings.  The owning of SAKs has as many meaning which makes this hobby wonderfully enjoyable.  My post was attempting to relate my usage in my comparison of Explorer vs Manager vs Artisan.  My SAK ownership extends a little beyond those SAKs which most see no actual usage.     

:hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 1,309
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
Come to think about the choice between corkscrew and phillips, that is why Mod squad exist  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Mountain Tinker mod

wow! THA mod!  :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 3,886
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »

That being said, I'd love to have an XAVT mostly as a conversation piece. Just not in my budget range right now.  My local knife store has one, and I'm amazed at how that thing is as thick as a watch case.

Even thicker would be the Giant. I remember they were like $500 through SMKW, now they're a lot more than that.
No Life Club Posts: 1,109
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2020, 12:15:39 AM »
Can anyone shed some light on why the BSA Fieldmaster is called a Huntsman.

In other words - why is the BSA Huntsman actually a Fieldmaster?

I think it's always been this way.   :think:
No Life Club Posts: 4,386
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2020, 03:22:22 AM »
Can anyone shed some light on why the BSA Fieldmaster is called a Huntsman.

In other words - why is the BSA Huntsman actually a Fieldmaster?

I think it's always been this way.   :think:

SAKwiki doesn‘t know either: „The official BSA version with the same tools is called a Huntsman - for reasons that may never be known“  :dunno:
No Life Club Posts: 1,109
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
Hang on a minute. Now you've gone too far. 

I actually think that the Hiker is an excellent entry-level SAK, for a number of reasons.  It's the one I gift the uninitiated friends of mine. 
- its very easily pocketable
- by now, people know if they run into corked wine or not... and if they do, they have their contingency plans (electric powered corkscrews at home, wine keys in the camp kit).  a priori, a Phillips seems more useful than a corkscrew, so I think people appreciate it as a gift more easily
- The Hiker has the same elements as the OHT and the Soldier, both tools many of us already find indispensable
-  The Hiker also has similar elements in comparison to the Farmer, another outdoor favorite
- for someone who hasn't used knives for their whole lives, the added capability of the saw seems to give the uninitiated the sense that they can cut through whatever it is they need to.  Meanwhile, withholding the scissors gets them more comfortable with using the knife for things that most people don't use a knife for (that we do)... cutting paper, opening letters, boxes, cutting cord...  (at least where I'm from, I'd say most people dont EDC a knife or MT)

Check out this video.  I really like this guy, very entertaining video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cGX3d3AIE

I just found out that 10 days before I posted this, MegaWoodswalker passed away suddenly.

:SAKnight: RIP Kevin "MegaWoodswalker" Renkavinsky :SAKnight:
No Life Club Posts: 1,459
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2020, 09:45:29 PM »
I really enjoyed his videos. Always cheerful. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Sr. Member Posts: 402
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2020, 01:24:10 AM »
Thats no good, he was such a cheeful positive guy.  We could always use more of them about the place . RIP , may you be happy walking the new woods

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "
Hero Member Posts: 539
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
I like and edc mine !!! :cheers: 4 layers of KOOL!!!  8) :tu:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2020, 04:06:28 PM »
I just found out that 10 days before I posted this, MegaWoodswalker passed away suddenly.

:SAKnight: RIP Kevin "MegaWoodswalker" Renkavinsky :SAKnight:

RIP.  I've watched a few of his videos, very well done I might add. 

Esse Quam Videri
Sr. Member Posts: 275
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »
Whaaaaat?!
30.63 kB | 259x194

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
No Life Club Posts: 1,397
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
Whaaaaat?!
:rofl:

Simon still be running around like:  :ahhh

As a direct result of the February Fieldmaster Challenge, and probably this thread...I’ve worked several of them into rotation and almost daily use.

Main tools it’s missing for me within the last month since the Challenge ended have been the magnifier, metal saw and pliers. But many days it’s gone from inside the house to out in the yard and garden without needing to grab a different knife or co-carry backups.

I still prefer larger knives, but I certainly like it better than I thought I would.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $5.00
PayPal Fees: $0.49
Net Balance: $4.51
Below Goal: $295.49
Site Currency: USD
 2%