Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sick of my kayak trips yet? Too bad, here's another one!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
When we weren't combing flea markets for old camp stoves this weekend we took the boats out to Long Island Lock Station, a place we have been to a couple of times- once to see the locks, once to fish.  The viewing the locks time was much more successful than the fishing trip, which is just the way I like it.  Nothing ruins a good day of fishing faster than catching a fish....  >:D

At any rate we had a nice trip this time out.  It was a beautiful day and we started out early, although not as early as we'd initially planned.  No big deal, the park was pretty empty when we arrived.

There are a lot of power boats in this area, so we have to be careful, but fortunately this was early enough in the season and early enough in the day that we really didn't encounter any.  And, with no big powerboats to startle them, the wildlife was pretty casual- like this beautiful heron.  They are very skittish so I couldn't get close.  My camera was at full zoom just to get this pic, and even then it started to moved away.

I also love bridges- I love the construction and personality of them.  This bridge, for example, was very positive.

Sort of....

I looked around but couldn't actually find out where to collect my free Chico, but I guess that was all for the best as I'm not sure exactly what to do with a Chico, plus there was probably a catch, like sitting through a time share sales pitch or something.   :facepalm:

But the day became positive again with all of the little fuzzy ducklings, which are about the most adorable things on the planet. 

[jeremy clarkson voice]Or are they?[/jeremy clarkson voice]

Yup, hairy plumber crack and all, plus a device that looks like a small fan clipped above my butt, which I am certain will lead people to believe I have serious gas issues.  It is in fact a bug screen- it blows bug spray around me constantly, and seemed to work.  I didn't get any bug bites in my plumbers' area, so I am guessing that it was effective.   :facepalm:

It was a beautiful spot though, despite me stinking the place up.  I fired up the Etekcity stove and boiled some water for the Mountain House Pasta Primavera, which is Megan's favorite flavor.  I give her all the vegetables and just eat the pasta because I find there isn't enough beef or bacon in vegetables.

After eating I washed the dishes in the river then packed everything away in the rear hatch of my boat.  The MTO backpack kept everything together and organized.

Once everything was packed up we headed back to the lock.  The weather was perfect for it, and we had a great time, at least until we got back to the lock station and found that it had gotten quite busy while we were gone, with hundreds of people littering the dock and grass where we take out.

It was a great day- we had a fantastic time and I hope you ll enjoyed reading it... except for that one photo that I imagine will haunt some of your dreams...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Sick of my kayak trips yet? Too bad, here's another one!
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:42:41 PM
Somehow you managed to break your own thread...
Wanted to comment that those are not ducklings but gooslings, only to notice that when I quote you, there is more... so here is the missing text and most important image.

Fluffy goslings are a serious contender for the most adorable things on the planet, especially when they are hopping like mad to get up to the next level where the grass is, and its too high.  :D

Cuteness overload.

We decided that it was time for lunch and found a nice little boat launch area to stop and make a Mountain House meal.  Megan decided this was an ideal opportunity to take a very flattering photo of me.

(Image removed from quote.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:43:51 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline JP

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06:42 PM
Another nice paddle!

If you like ducks go to Does Lake. You can watch them swim like the cute little fluffers they are.

Sometimes a Pike or Muskie will snatch one though.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:27:58 PM
Very nice Grant! Great shots.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:36:44 PM
Nice pics! We saw a couple of those geese and some crane of some sort while fishing yesterday..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:29 PM
Somehow you managed to break your own thread...
Wanted to comment that those are not ducklings but gooslings, only to notice that when I quote you, there is more... so here is the missing text and most important image.

Fluffy goslings are a serious contender for the most adorable things on the planet, especially when they are hopping like mad to get up to the next level where the grass is, and its too high.  :D

Cuteness overload.

We decided that it was time for lunch and found a nice little boat launch area to stop and make a Mountain House meal.  Megan decided this was an ideal opportunity to take a very flattering photo of me.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oops.... I hadn't realized how messed up that got....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:17:48 PM
Another nice paddle!

If you like ducks go to Does Lake. You can watch them swim like the cute little fluffers they are.

Sometimes a Pike or Muskie will snatch one though.

Yeah, thy are sitting ducks......  :facepalm:

I'm walking distance to Dow's Lake and go there a fair bit. 

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:49:14 PM
Avoid the Prescott and Pub Italia. You wouldn't like them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 12:37:37 AM
We go to those all the time....  :ahhh

Menu at Public Italia is overly pretentious but that's par for the course in this neighborhood. I love the volume of import beers so I guess it's worth it.

And the Prescott..... giant meatballs.... what's not to love?   :D

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:41:47 AM
The Prescott is an institute unto itself.

I don't remember ever eating at Pub Italia....not sure why......

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 02:21:21 AM
I'm not going there for food again.  The menu was too fussy for me.  But the beer was good, and I like the choices.

I don't mind the Prescott.  Like I said, giant meatballs are a good thing.

Plus they are within walking distance, and that's important.

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:14 PM
Sick - No
Jealous - Yes
 :tu:

I seriously hope to get back on my kayak when summer comes back around this year, hasn't touched water in 3 or 4 years  :twak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:59 PM
Sorry to hear that- although I have seen enough episodes of River Monsters to know what is in the water around your place, I can certainly understand why your boat has been out of the water for years!   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%