Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pro-treks i'm confused need guidance.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Pro-treks i'm confused need guidance.
on: May 31, 2017, 02:03:21 PM
Hi there!

I was in the need for a new watch particularly an ABC watch. For years, i've been using a fake g-shock watch and have been relying on my phone to get the ABC readings. I looked at the net and saw casio pro-treks they looked good but i'm confused. lol.  :D

My question is why some models are cheaper than the others but they have the same features and chip? I see the prw-3000 which is cheaper and contains atomic time keeping like the other models. Is it a matter of aesthetics?

Any other recommendations? I'm more into the classic watch than the smart watches. I'm after the robust platform and long battery life for extended periods of time, months without charging.

I asked this question here and not in watchuseek to get a perspective from normal users who use the watch and not collect it.

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pro-treks i'm confused need guidance.
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:13:45 PM
I can't explain the price differential on models with the same features, except that the prices go up and down pretty sharply with no apparent reason. My daily watch is this Pro Trek:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3XHK64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it at $189 on Amazon, and now its $225.  You can shop around and find decent prices.  After going to the G-Shock and its siblings (Pro Trek) 10x years ago, I've never gone back.  The Pro Trek has the atomic function, which is awesome, along with barometer, compass, etc.  I love it that the watch sets itself during the night, so it is always highly accurate.

I also wear this one pretty often, but mostly because I think it looks great.  It does not have the functionality of the Pro Trek.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Casio-G-shock-GRAVITYMASTER-World-Time-200m-Black-Resin-Watch-Ga1100-2b/1960721336

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:54:43 PM
With the PRW3000 and PRW3500 for example its the case size.  There are also bezel difference as well, PRW3500 and PRW3100 for example.

It would be great for you to go see the watches in person so you can get a sense of how the watch will fit.   
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 05:41:46 AM

I can't explain the price differential on models with the same features, except that the prices go up and down pretty sharply with no apparent reason. My daily watch is this Pro Trek:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3XHK64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it at $189 on Amazon, and now its $225.  You can shop around and find decent prices.  After going to the G-Shock and its siblings (Pro Trek) 10x years ago, I've never gone back.  The Pro Trek has the atomic function, which is awesome, along with barometer, compass, etc.  I love it that the watch sets itself during the night, so it is always highly accurate.

I also wear this one pretty often, but mostly because I think it looks great.  It does not have the functionality of the Pro Trek.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Casio-G-shock-GRAVITYMASTER-World-Time-200m-Black-Resin-Watch-Ga1100-2b/1960721336

Thanks noodles! I'm finally seeing the convenience of having an abc watch on my hand. I have an etrex for my gps needs. And pulling out my phone everytime is starting to be a hassle with both hands full.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 05:43:07 AM
With the PRW3000 and PRW3500 for example its the case size.  There are also bezel difference as well, PRW3500 and PRW3100 for example.

It would be great for you to go see the watches in person so you can get a sense of how the watch will fit.
Yea. I checked them out yesterday i feel any of the models really look good and comfy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 06:59:33 AM
They all look great but for my boney skinny wrists its the distance from lug to lug that makes all the difference in comfort.  I also don't like a thick case or to big a diameter.  I know watches are growing increasingly large but for me I don't care for them. 

Having a ABC watch however especially a PROTREK is always a win.   
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:19:38 PM
They all look great but for my boney skinny wrists its the distance from lug to lug that makes all the difference in comfort.  I also don't like a thick case or to big a diameter.  I know watches are growing increasingly large but for me I don't care for them. 

Having a ABC watch however especially a PROTREK is always a win.
I feel you, it looks weird if the diameter is bigger than your wrists  but size helps in terms of visibility.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:37:32 AM
Hi Carboncopy, we seem to be flying the same flag  :D

I'm using an ABC G-Shock but I wouldn't mind having a Protrek.  With that said:

Go for Protreks with triple sensor -- Altimeter, Barometer/Thermometer, Compass.  Most, if not all of them also have Solar batteries and sunrise/sunset features.
There are "PRG" versus "PRW".  The PRG-270 is a great entry-level Protrek at less than Php10k in the malls.
The "PRW" watches add atomic timekeeping to the features.  Note that unless you're in a very elevated area, the atomic timekeeping doesn't always bite in our country.

As a general rule, the all-digital models are cheaper than the analog-digital models.  The higher the model number, the higher the price. Hence, a PRW-3500 is lower than a PRW-6100.  A PRW-7000 would cost more than a PRW-6100.  Not all Protreks have sunrise/sunset.  Not all Protreks have sapphire crystal glass.

You can get more details here:
http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/protrek/

and call your nearest Time Depot store in the mall to ask for availability.

I wouldn't mind having a PRW-7000 either the "3" or "8" version, but it costs a lot locally.

You can also check the "Master of G" G-shock lines.  My daily watch is a Mudmaster and I have skinny wrists.  No, I do not feel like Ben 10 wearing it  :rofl:

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 02:42:33 PM
Hi Carboncopy, we seem to be flying the same flag  :D

I'm using an ABC G-Shock but I wouldn't mind having a Protrek.  With that said:

Go for Protreks with triple sensor -- Altimeter, Barometer/Thermometer, Compass.  Most, if not all of them also have Solar batteries and sunrise/sunset features.
There are "PRG" versus "PRW".  The PRG-270 is a great entry-level Protrek at less than Php10k in the malls.
The "PRW" watches add atomic timekeeping to the features.  Note that unless you're in a very elevated area, the atomic timekeeping doesn't always bite in our country.

As a general rule, the all-digital models are cheaper than the analog-digital models.  The higher the model number, the higher the price. Hence, a PRW-3500 is lower than a PRW-6100.  A PRW-7000 would cost more than a PRW-6100.  Not all Protreks have sunrise/sunset.  Not all Protreks have sapphire crystal glass.

You can get more details here:
http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/protrek/

and call your nearest Time Depot store in the mall to ask for availability.

I wouldn't mind having a PRW-7000 either the "3" or "8" version, but it costs a lot locally.

You can also check the "Master of G" G-shock lines.  My daily watch is a Mudmaster and I have skinny wrists.  No, I do not feel like Ben 10 wearing it  :rofl:

Hi there! Already checked time depot. Weird, PRG-270 costs more than the PRW-3000 model.

Not a fan of g-shocks anymore.Owned several g-shocks and a mudmaster then i felt its overkill as a watch and the resin band failed me a lot. Switched to a fake g-shock to be more discreet during commutes.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 08:23:23 AM
I agree with Aloha. I've had a PRG40 for many years and it's always served me well. I got a PRW2500T last year, solar, radio controlled with tide function and that's also a great ABC watch. I replaced the batteries in the PRG40 this year and it ate a bunch of them so I think solar is a good option. Interestingly my GW7900 G Shock seems a bit deaf picking up the time signal and doesn't always update compared with the Pro Trek. Either way they're excellent tools IMHO and always a win.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 11:50:19 AM
G'Day,

I am another ProTrek lover. I prefer the Ti models as they really wear comfortable. No issues with resin rot. They are a little dearer too. Have a look at this site: http://protrek.casio.com it has a lot of useful info on the models and their differences. As said before, they are pretty battery heavy, go for a solar model. If you don't have the radio signal there, don't worry about the Atomic models. They are more expensive than the same model without the atomic timekeeping.

I like the older models. They are pretty straight forward and relatively cheap. The PRG-80 is my favourite and nearly as tough as a G-Shock. The last one I bought was the 2500 in SS, love the watch. it is my first SS ProTrek and it has a very solid feel to it.

Cheers

Pete

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 12:44:25 PM
Hi petervn!

That's it resin rot. I'm considering the atomic model cause I travel a lot and it's cool! Lolol. Actually the one with atomic model is cheaper than the non atomic one . Weird haha.

Tried a prg270 i think during a climb yesterday. It's useful! I did observe the change in pressure cause of a storm. I'm impressed!

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 11:30:02 AM
Hi pietervn!
That's it resin rot. I'm considering the atomic model cause I travel a lot and it's cool! Lol. Actually the one with atomic model is cheaper than the non atomic one. Weird haha.
Tried a prg270 I think during a climb yesterday. It's useful! I did observe the change in pressure cause of a storm. I'm impressed!

It sounds like the Atomic will be useful then. I like keeping an eye on the barometer as I ride a motorbike daily. It helps me remember to pack the wet weather gear.  ;)

Have a look at the PRW2500T-7, it is Solar, Atomic and comes in Titanium. Not the cheapest, but a fine watch. I like mine a lot. You will not have resin rot issues with it. Bear in mind, although they market them as Ti, it is only the band that is Ti, the watch is resin with usually a SS or Aluminium bezel.

Cheers,

Pete

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 03:55:25 PM
Just checked the local retailer they don't have that but they have the 3500 variant. I like the layout on yours pretty clean.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 06:11:23 PM
Hi pietervn!
That's it resin rot. I'm considering the atomic model cause I travel a lot and it's cool! Lol. Actually the one with atomic model is cheaper than the non atomic one. Weird haha.
Tried a prg270 I think during a climb yesterday. It's useful! I did observe the change in pressure cause of a storm. I'm impressed!

It sounds like the Atomic will be useful then. I like keeping an eye on the barometer as I ride a motorbike daily. It helps me remember to pack the wet weather gear.  ;)

Have a look at the PRW2500T-7, it is Solar, Atomic and comes in Titanium. Not the cheapest, but a fine watch. I like mine a lot. You will not have resin rot issues with it. Bear in mind, although they market them as Ti, it is only the band that is Ti, the watch is resin with usually a SS or Aluminium bezel.

Cheers,

Pete

The model you have IMO is nice as the screen shows quite a bit more info as opposed to the 3500 series. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 11:17:07 AM
The model you have IMO is nice as the screen shows quite a bit more info as opposed to the 3500 series.

Thanks Mate,

I never really warmed to the 3500's looks. I had to choose between the 240 and the 250. Not an easy choice, but when I saw the 250 in black SS, that was The One!!! Full model is: PRG-250BD-1

The biggest sway for me towards the 250, other than looks, was the additional 100m water resistance, moon phase and tides. We live 20 kms from the coast and that is info I use. The 240 has the Sunset and Sunrise info, 100m water resistance and no tides and moon phase.

For more good info, have a search / read on the WatchUSeek forum for ABC watches: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/. There you will find most models reviewed and even compared.

Another good read: Function Comparison Table: http://protrek.com/asia-mea/en/functions/. There is also a catalogue download, but beware a few MB... 30 to be exact  ;)

If in doubt, get both  ;)

Cheers,

Pete
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:20:49 AM by pietervn »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 12:34:32 PM
My most used watch is a Casio ProTrek PAW 1500GB. Fantastic watch.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
My most used watch is a Casio ProTrek PAW 1500GB. Fantastic watch.

The Orange looks good. That was the first 200m Water Resistant ProTrek IIRC. Sharp looking watch especially in Ti.

Pete

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:33 AM
I have the lime green version. I also have a Timex Expedition WS4. Whenever I wear it, it catches a lot of attention from folks...which is why I do not wear it as much as the Casio.

Here are some old photos I took when I first got them both.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 12:41:48 AM
I wasn't even looking at ProTreks till I made the mistake and commented in this thread  :whistle:

Great watches Chako especially that lime green one.  I have a lime green watch but its a cheapie.  I love it tho. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:05 AM
Those are good looking watches Chako.

The Timex looks quite big, does it "wear" big?

Aloha, you know you need one.  ;) There is a version for EVERYONE!

Pete

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:07 PM
It is bulky but not heavy. Lots of people notice it and have never seen one...so you get asked a lot of questions...at least in my neck of the woods.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 02:10:54 PM
Wow nice color for the protrek! I used to have a prototype msp430 texas instrument watch that looks like that. Yea it's eye catching.  :D

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 11:55:04 AM
I've been using the PRW-3500 almost daily for the last year. Unlike many other protreks it has pins that allow the direct fitment of a 22mm Nato / Zulu strap (without the goofy adapters). This Zulu strap is a huuuuge improvement in weight, comfort and looks on the stock resin strap IMO.  :D

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:00:34 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 12:13:25 PM
I used a prg-40 and a ti sea version for years,great watches but these older models take 4 batteries ,and although I pretty much wear a G-shock since the early 80's I tend to wear my solar powered version daily,solar is the way to go  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%