Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You can't take it with you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: You can't take it with you.
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:29 AM
For now keep the ones that still hold your interest.  I'm limiting the ones I really like to a container.  If they don't fit in it they they don't make the cut.  A lot has been given away and sold over the years.  Its not that I am not enjoying the journey its just perspective.  I do have a few that would sell for decent money especially for what I paid.  Those should be easy to sell and my youngest has said she'd love to take on that responsibility.  Its the tools that are fairly easy to come by that will be a PITA. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 07:19:27 AM
Maybe could turn out like what happened to me. When my father passed on, I found a collection and decided to collect in memory of him. Things need not be always negative.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 03:32:54 PM
That turned out to be quite wonderful for us all Chako.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #33 on: October 06, 2021, 10:12:05 AM
Hmm….the tools, SAKs and MTs can be divided between my 2 sons (and my wife is free to take her pick as well). After all, the house won’t maintain itself and should they get their own place, they’ll have to learn to do some things and not just rely on “building maintenance” or paid help unless necessary.  Any overflow can go to my brother in law on my wife’s side and brother in law on my sister’s side. There’s also my sisters who would know their way around a SAK.  Should there be any leftovers, my wife could decide to give them to my first cousins.

More than the monetary value of the SAKs and MTs, it’s more like they’re the only heirloom I can leave them.  It won’t be the first time SAKs were handed down to the next generation.  More than monetary value, these are actual tools that have their uses.

……now the Transformers and Lego toys I have are a totally different matter……. :facepalm:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #34 on: October 06, 2021, 06:46:19 PM
I thought about this when one of my cousins died of lung cancer two years ago. He was only 59. Now I´m 59 myself and I´ve been a heavy smoker since 14. I´m at risk and I know it.

My collection of mostly SAKs and folders isn´t very large nor very special except for a few mods and a few damascus. If I can do anything about it, these will go to selected MTO members; a parting gift as it were. The bulk of the collection would be too large to put in the mail, someone would have to come and get it.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 09:44:40 AM
I've only a very small collection compared to some here, but my wife knows where it lives in the garage , and which knives are to go to which child. That said, I've gifted a Tinker to my middle son , and my youngest has a Recruit set aside for him. I'm confident the collection , such as it is, will not be an undue burden.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 03:24:24 PM
 :tu:.  Not being a burden is pretty much the summary.
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
This thread echoes the one I started years back in a different section of the forum.

For us in the UK it’s much worse as eBay won’t allow you to list.

At present my son (poor sod) will get approximately 700 SAK/MT items plus 100+ display stands, cabinets etc etc. What he does with it all will be no concern for me.
But, god forbid it was the other way round and I had no one to pass it on to and no real way of sending securely I think I would destroy it all…reduce it to worthless scrap. Then skip it!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:57:34 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%