Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I like those airport seizure sales!

ca Offline Soldierofrock

I like those airport seizure sales!
on: June 02, 2017, 04:46:11 PM
Got all of them for 45$ cad (~35 usd)

Gerber suspension (my first multi-T)
Gerber Dîme (cleaned it and gave it to my GF)

Leatherman :

Supertool
squirt PS4
Micra
New Micra
Style CS

I will not miss next year sale for sure. We can find some gem.
PicsArt_06-02-10.45.49.jpg
* PicsArt_06-02-10.45.49.jpg (Filesize: 233.21 KB)
LM : Wave, Pulse, Super Tool, Wingman, CS4, Squirt PS4 (2x), Micra (2x), Style CS

us Offline King_Gorilla

Re: I like those airport seizure sales!
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:53:46 PM
That's cool!

I keep wanting to bid on those tsa ebay auctions but I cant find one with the tools I want. :-\

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 02:04:26 AM
They say there's a place around here that sells TSA seized stuff, but I don't know who it is.   $35 was an excellent deal! I paid $20 for my original Super Tool used, $20 for my Micra and $35 new for my PS4.

ca Offline Soldierofrock

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:55 PM
Montreal airport send all of those to a paliative care house. They organize a fundraising sale once a year. Small tools are $5, big ones are $10-15.
LM : Wave, Pulse, Super Tool, Wingman, CS4, Squirt PS4 (2x), Micra (2x), Style CS

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:38:24 PM
I don´t like airport robberis!! 

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Do you?  :twak:

ca Offline Soldierofrock

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:14 PM

Have to say goodbye to my small victorinox in Panama. Because of this, I am now to the leatherman family.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 07:58:18 PM

Me too. 
It's spreading too.  Now other places are becoming as intolerant as the airport.  Disneyland is cracking down on security.  They didn't even check me in the past.  Now they have this ridiculous checkpoint with airport style scanners.  They let me in with a swisstech utilikey, and a leatherman style PS but no knives and for some stupid reason they confiscated my paracord keychain!!!  :rant:   They said it was dangerous because I could use it to choke someone or create a tripwire!   >:(  :ahhh   Not making this up.    :facepalm:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:07:35 PM

Me too. 
It's spreading too.  Now other places are becoming as intolerant as the airport.  Disneyland is cracking down on security.  They didn't even check me in the past.  Now they have this ridiculous checkpoint with airport style scanners.  They let me in with a swisstech utilikey, and a leatherman style PS but no knives and for some stupid reason they confiscated my paracord keychain!!!  :rant:   They said it was dangerous because I could use it to choke someone or create a tripwire!   >:(  :ahhh   Not making this up.    :facepalm:

Dang they must not realize the Style has a blade too...
At least you weren't carrying Alox or something more expensive.  Sorry for your loss.

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:49 PM

At least you weren't carrying Alox or something more expensive.  Sorry for your loss.

Well, the Style PS actually only has scissors on it and no real blade.  (it's the TSA friendly one) But they didn't even look to see which one I had.  That's the crazy part.  It's so inconsistent.   >:(

Still, despite being against the TSA and their thievery, I wouldn't mind benefiting from it in the way of getting some great deals on some knives and MTs.  I just need to find the right one.  8)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 11:51:18 PM

Well, the Style PS actually only has scissors on it and no real blade.  (it's the TSA friendly one) But they didn't even look to see which one I had.  That's the crazy part.  It's so inconsistent.   >:(

Still, despite being against the TSA and their thievery, I wouldn't mind benefiting from it in the way of getting some great deals on some knives and MTs.  I just need to find the right one.  8)

If you haven't checked out the seller Boulder City on eBay, do so
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:47 AM
I have no problems with controls. But the inconsistency is what bugs me. Technically, it is legal to carry a SAK on a plane (inter-Europe flights), yet you are completely at the mercy of the security officer.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:57 AM
I had this on the London eye a few years ago,I had to hand my S2 in but for it back after,I didn't mention the explorer in my backpack  ;)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:15 PM

Me too. 
So, you had to wear flip flops to get in??

us Offline gregpost

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 04:03:16 PM
I lost a SAK that was near and dear to me so I have mixed feelings about buying airport confiscations. I guess it's better the tool get used and resold but it seems that the profit motive makes the TSA take things that are not even illegal anymore.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 05:05:50 PM
I lost a SAK that was near and dear to me so I have mixed feelings about buying airport confiscations. I guess it's better the tool get used and resold but it seems that the profit motive makes the TSA take things that are not even illegal anymore.

Yeah, it's weird.  I know here in Phoenix they DESTROY all of the confiscations.  :cry:  All those SAKs hauled off to their deaths, chilling thought.   :(  I know because I asked. 

If it were me, I would much rather a collector or someone who actually needs a SAK end up with it as opposed to destruction.   Hopefully I'll one day be able to bring El Compact on the plane but I'm well aware of current policies so El Compact stays home with the dog.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 02:07:36 AM

It's a weird conflicting feeling.  My poorness makes me want to take advantage of the sale while still completely hating the reason it exists in the first place.  I imagine that this is similar to what people felt like in the 40s when their families owned airplane manufacturing plants and munitions factories just when the war broke out and they would suddenly be rich but accused of war-time profiteering.    :-\

side note:  according to CNN, the TSA failed to catch 95% of guns that were smuggled on board flights as part of a test.  So... I guess we are paying billions of dollars to have our knives and MTs stolen in the name of "security theater."  :rant:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 03:47:42 AM
Well, the Style PS actually only has scissors on it and no real blade.  (it's the TSA friendly one) But they didn't even look to see which one I had.  That's the crazy part.  It's so inconsistent.   
I have no problems with controls. But the inconsistency is what bugs me. Technically, it is legal to carry a SAK on a plane (inter-Europe flights), yet you are completely at the mercy of the security officer.

Agree with you on the inconsistency Mr. E
But are you sure about this ?
I think that is even (European) country specific.

I was in Geneva airport in January - The hilarious thing there is that the SAK shop is after you have been through security.
So maybe in theory you could have a SAK confiscated at security then buy one five minutes later in the shop
I did not take the risk of going through security with a SAK - But I certainly bought one once I was through (well my son did)
- A very nice camo Classic  :tu:   :D

Most airports removed these shops after 9-11 - And some say this was one factor in the downfall of Wenger - And led to Victorinox's diversification in to fashion, travel etc 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:49:33 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 04:19:37 AM

This.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:07 AM
there is that the SAK shop is after you have been through security.
So maybe in theory you could have a SAK confiscated at security then buy one five minutes later in the shop

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That would be the BEST way to get me to buy a new knife!  If I found an airport that did that I would buy an new knife every time I flew.  Just to get away with it!   :rofl: :climber:      :ahhh :rofl:    :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:26:45 PM
Well, the Style PS actually only has scissors on it and no real blade.  (it's the TSA friendly one) But they didn't even look to see which one I had.  That's the crazy part.  It's so inconsistent.   

Agree with you on the inconsistency Mr. E
But are you sure about this ?
I think that is even (European) country specific.

I was in Geneva airport in January - The hilarious thing there is that the SAK shop is after you have been through security.
I did not take the risk of going through security with a SAK - But I certainly bought one once I was through (well my son did)
- A very nice camo Classic  :tu:   :D

Most airports removed these shops after 9-11 - And some say this was one factor in the downfall of Wenger - And led to Victorinox's diversification in to fashion, travel etc
Yup, anything below 6cm blade length is good: EU Regulation
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline Guf3

• New User
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 06:37:28 PM
Hi
I am in England & when I go to buy/bid the Global shipping program cancels my bid & I can't participate.
All of the multitools/knives are legal to own in England but eBay thinks the world will be a safer place IF they don't transport knives to England.

Any ideas as to how to work around this problem?
Thanks
Guy

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:33 PM
Hi
I am in England & when I go to buy/bid the Global shipping program cancels my bid & I can't participate.
All of the multitools/knives are legal to own in England but eBay thinks the world will be a safer place IF they don't transport knives to England.

Any ideas as to how to work around this problem?
Thanks
Guy

Message the seller and request that they don't use the eBay shipping service.  Using the eBay shipping automatically blocks many countries, not meaning that you can't ship to those countries, just that eBay doesn't offer their slightly discounted service for these countries.  :cheers:

UK is definitely not singled out here btw, just had a similar issue with Qatar

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:40:45 PM by El Corkscrew »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 02:08:20 AM
Regular ebay shipping works - It is just the eBay Global Shipping Programme where you have problems

Here is a summary of what the GSP does for you.
  • It charges you more for shipping
  • The shipping takes longer due to contorted shipping routes
  • It charges for import duties when none are due
  • As experienced here - It often even prevents you from bidding
If you ask the seller to take the item out of the GSP it is all fine - But many sellers do not seem to be able to cope with this - For some unknown reason.
I have managed on one occasion to get a seller to do this - But after many unsuccessful attempts - These days, if I see I GSP - I don't go near it
Which is a shame if you see something you really like!! But it's just too much hassle.

BTW -  I think Amazon US also blocks knife sales to the UK (and Oz) - Even for legal knives - I guess they had too many hassles with customs

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 02:54:04 AM
Regular ebay shipping works - It is just the eBay Global Shipping Programme where you have problems

Here is a summary of what the GSP does for you.
  • It charges you more for shipping
  • The shipping takes longer due to contorted shipping routes
  • It charges for import duties when none are due
  • As experienced here - It often even prevents you from bidding
If you ask the seller to take the item out of the GSP it is all fine - But many sellers do not seem to be able to cope with this - For some unknown reason.
I have managed on one occasion to get a seller to do this - But after many unsuccessful attempts - These days, if I see I GSP - I don't go near it
Which is a shame if you see something you really like!! But it's just too much hassle.

BTW -  I think Amazon US also blocks knife sales to the UK (and Oz) - Even for legal knives - I guess they had too many hassles with customs

Weird, I've shipped several knives to UK with USPS for relatively cheap, no problemo  :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 12:21:11 PM
Yes USPS is fine - which you can use from eBay

I was talking about the eBAY Global Shipping Programme - which is another shipping option - and does not use the USPS (or only partially uses the USPS).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:04 PM
Yes USPS is fine - which you can use from eBay

I was talking about the eBAY Global Shipping Programme - which is another shipping option - and does not use the USPS (or only partially uses the USPS).

that is absolute cr*p, horrible, slow, unreliable and with senseless rules and norms as well as contradictory conditions
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 05:51:20 AM
Thirteen years ago I was able to travel internationally to and from Brasil with my Lucky Zippo lighter in my shaving kit, which was in my carry on. About ten years ago, I  was on assignment flying all across the US to a different city every day for about four or five weeks. Day one the wanted to take my lucky Zippo.

They also gave me the option of mailing it back home (or any other address, but I knew I couldn't  expect it to arrive at each hotel daily, so I just sent it home). Sure I had to step out of line, take the time to fill out some forms, and pay mailing  costs, but it was an option.

Do they not still provide the option to mail personal effects?

By the way, I really feel that the USA cannot truly be considered as  taking air travel security seriously until we eliminate the door between  the cockpit and passenger cabin. It should be a solid wall.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%