Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new knife, opinions, suggestions???

us Offline King_Gorilla

new knife, opinions, suggestions???
on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:47 PM
I have a few swiss army knives but they are all tiny like my Mini Champ or they are old and damaged medium sized knives that I have.  I'd like to buy some of the newer products.  I plan to buy one of those giant Rangergrip knives sooner or later but for now I'm looking at the normal medium sized stuff.  I was poking around their website and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. 

I want:
large blade, small blade, bottle opener, can opener, awl, inline phillips screwdriver, light, and wood saw

There are a few tools that I don't need but also wouldn't mind having like the little hook thing, or the cork screw.

I'd rather not have any scissors, pliers, nail files, fish scale tools, etc. 

The Spartan lite seems perfect for me but it has no saw.  The huntsman lite seems to have everything I want but it also has scissors and something next to the awl. 

Am I missing anything???  Does anyone know if they make a tool with the stuff I want but without a bunch of other tools? 
Any suggestions???  The huntsman lite seems to be about $20 more.  That might end up being a factor because I'm poor. 

Also, does anyone know if the phillips head driver on these tools is a #2 or a #1???   ???
and how are the wood saws on their medium sized tools.  I love the Leatherman wood saw.  When I was about 10 years old I had a knock-off of a swiss champ and the saw was not great, but I always assumed that it was because it wasn't victorinox. 
spart.jpg
* spart.jpg (Filesize: 98.45 KB)

* hunts.jpg (Filesize: 20.72 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: new knife, opinions, suggestions???
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:01:12 PM
What you need is a Camper Lite. That's a Spartan Lite with woodsaw added, or a Huntsman Lite minus the scissors. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. The nearest is a Master Gardener (see SAK Wiki http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Gardener) which may be difficult to obtain. BTW the Vic woodsaws are excellent.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:10:13 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 11:21:56 PM
I have a few swiss army knives but they are all tiny like my Mini Champ or they are old and damaged medium sized knives that I have.  I'd like to buy some of the newer products.  I plan to buy one of those giant Rangergrip knives sooner or later but for now I'm looking at the normal medium sized stuff.  I was poking around their website and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. 

I want:
large blade, small blade, bottle opener, can opener, awl, inline phillips screwdriver, light, and wood saw

There are a few tools that I don't need but also wouldn't mind having like the little hook thing, or the cork screw.

I'd rather not have any scissors, pliers, nail files, fish scale tools, etc. 

The Spartan lite seems perfect for me but it has no saw.  The huntsman lite seems to have everything I want but it also has scissors and something next to the awl. 

Am I missing anything???  Does anyone know if they make a tool with the stuff I want but without a bunch of other tools? 
Any suggestions???  The huntsman lite seems to be about $20 more.  That might end up being a factor because I'm poor. 

Also, does anyone know if the phillips head driver on these tools is a #2 or a #1???   ???
and how are the wood saws on their medium sized tools.  I love the Leatherman wood saw.  When I was about 10 years old I had a knock-off of a swiss champ and the saw was not great, but I always assumed that it was because it wasn't victorinox.

It's frustrating when you can't find the exact model you want, you'd think with so many options that surely this tool set would exist.

May I suggest sticking with your 58mm w/phillips, (maybe a rally) and going with a Camper or Farmer?   That can opener does a great job with a lot of Phillips screws and the small Phillips on the 58mm should handle the finer jobs.   The hook is always paired with scissors so unfortunately it's either/or there.   If you've never held a Farmer in your hands, I suggest you should.  :-)  :cheers: 

Edit:  It's backside phillips but the Hiker is another option. That one and the Camper are VERY affordable.  Especially used, you can find one in excellent condition for <$10   :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:25:04 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:03:05 AM
Yo.

My recommendation would be to hold out for a Huntsman Lite at the right price. The scissors are underrated; I also could have done without them once but not these days; also the Huntsman Lite has the plus scales so there is a pen in there, which can save ones backside. A pin as well.

The benefit of the newer lite models is that the led was upgraded a couple of years ago and is now noticably brighter.

I was in a similar position a while ago; jammed with wanting an Explorer with a light (Huntsman Lite without a woodsaw); but that also does not exist... :/

Cheers.
20170604_083642 small.jpg
* 20170604_083642 small.jpg (Filesize: 415.07 KB)

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 04:21:22 AM
I don't know if you know that the tip of the can opener acts as a Phillips driver. Maybe you can skip the Phillips/light layer and get a Camper?

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:56:01 AM
I'd go for the Hiker.
Its close and really cheap too.
You can get small LED lights separately and the backside phillips will do in a pinch.
Also the can opener has power to open phillips screws.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:33 AM
What you need is a Camper Lite. That's a Spartan Lite with woodsaw added, or a Huntsman Lite minus the scissors. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. The nearest is a Master Gardener (see SAK Wiki http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Gardener) which may be difficult to obtain. BTW the Vic woodsaws are excellent.

WOW, yeah, that master gardener is perfect.   :( didn't see any on ebay or anywhere else.  I take it that they are no longer making them? 

I wonder how hard it would be to add a light/phillips layer to a Camper???  ???

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:18:10 AM

Edit:  It's backside phillips but the Hiker is another option. That one and the Camper are VERY affordable.  Especially used, you can find one in excellent condition for <$10   :cheers: :cheers:

I'll see what I can find used.  thanks

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:15 AM
I don't know if you know that the tip of the can opener acts as a Phillips driver. Maybe you can skip the Phillips/light layer and get a Camper?

I didn't know that but now that you mention it, it's really not surprising.  :D

I'd go for the Hiker.
Its close and really cheap too.
You can get small LED lights separately and the backside phillips will do in a pinch.
Also the can opener has power to open phillips screws.

I appreciate the info, but the inline phillips, and the led light are actually two of the main reasons why I got excited to get one of the newer knives.  I have a little box of old knives and MTs from when I was younger and there are a few victorinox SAKs in there but they are all older and beat up.  some are missing scales etc.  I just feel like it's time to get a new one with some cool new features.   :-\

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:47:11 AM
It occurred to me that a Spartan Lite will do for now if you´re planning to buy a RangerGrip as well. You´ll get the larger woodsaw then. Many of us carry more than one SAK to achieve our desired tool set. Here´s my carry:
DSC06069-carver-px-mc-s.jpg
* DSC06069-carver-px-mc-s.jpg (Filesize: 508.02 KB)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:52:12 AM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 01:58:10 PM
I really don't like dealing with electronics in my SAKs, so I just add a small flashlight to my EDC. If it's a higher end one, and something goes wrong (i.e. Maglite) I just replace the parts and go on, cheaper ones (like those slim little cell battery powered LED ones that companies give away at events I just toss and replace--not worth even bothering to change the battery (which I have done on some of them).

Huntsman Lite is a pretty good tool set. You can get a used one for around $25-$30; new ones at $60 (at the knife dealer near me) are pricey.

Offline stugumby

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 02:42:37 PM
I would suggest an Explorer and a seperate flashlight. In my experience the built in lights arent that good, explorer has the hook and awl, corkscrew, inline phillips but it does have scissors which you didnt want. Always a compromise sometimes to get what you want but have more tools than needed. Just my 2 cents worth. If you go thicker in number of layers to the handy man or craftsman, same problem  scissors and mini pliers.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:40:10 PM
I wanted something very similar but with a magnifying glass instead of the light and I didn't mind having an extra back layer tool. I ended up buying a cheap used Champion on the 'bay and then removing the scissors, file and scaler. Doing a mod where you just remove a layer or two is fairly easy and allows you to reuse the pin stock. Check out the stickies in The Mod Squad.

The phillips driver is OK but doesn't work too well with smaller screws and in general seems to cam-out easier than better shaped drivers.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

new knife, opinions, suggestions😧
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:59 PM
The light brings up a question I've had about the care and feeding of the SAKs with lights and/or Timekeeper scales.

I use my SAKs kind of rough. They get pretty dirty after awhile. I just pull the toothpick, tweezers, and straight pin out. Then I open all the blades and tools...and toss it in the dishwasher. Once it comes out, I apply a small drop of 3-in-1 Oil to the joints and hinges which restores the smooth movement and snap of the tools. Then it's back in service.

So how do you guys wash your SAKs with lights or Timekeeper scales?
P.S. IIRC, there's also a model with a compass. So my question applies to that as well.

BTW, I'm sorry. I'm not trying my to hijack the thread. Since we are talking about acquiring a new SAK, I thought these considerations were relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:54:15 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: new knife, opinions, suggestions😧
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 10:38:36 PM
The light brings up a question I've had about the care and feeding of the SAKs with lights and/or Timekeeper scales.

I use my SAKs kind of rough. They get pretty dirty after awhile. I just pull the toothpick, tweezers, and straight pin out. Then I open all the blades and tools...and toss it in the dishwasher. Once it comes out, I apply a small drop of 3-in-1 Oil to the joints and hinges which restores the smooth movement and snap of the tools. Then it's back in service.

P.S. IIRC, there's also a model with a compass. So my question applies to that as well.

BTW, I'm sorry. I'm not trying my to hijack the thread. Since we are talking about acquiring a new SAK, I thought these considerations were relevant.

I'd probably carefully remove the scales before cleaning if it's really gunked up. I don't have a timer model, but I've got a Midnite MiniChamp. Usually I just get into crevices with a cotton swab and toothpick with a bit of alcohol.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 05:23:56 PM

I'd probably carefully remove the scales before cleaning if it's really gunked up. I don't have a timer model, but I've got a Midnite MiniChamp. Usually I just get into crevices with a cotton swab and toothpick with a bit of alcohol.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any models with clocks or lights partly because I saw those features as vulnerabilities because of the possibility of failure from water intrusion.

I have been eyeing a model with the magnifying glass. Do you know if the lens is acrylic or if it's glass?
I wonder about cleaning difficulties with the magnifier.

Perhaps this thread is the wrong place for me to ask. I'm not trying to hijack the thread.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:25:24 PM by Tired_Yeti »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 05:32:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any models with clocks or lights partly because I saw those features as vulnerabilities because of the possibility of failure from water intrusion.

I have been eyeing a model with the magnifying glass. Do you know if the lens is acrylic or if it's glass?

Perhaps this thread is the wrong place for me to ask. I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

I think the older models were glass and the new ones acrylic. There's also a difference in the magnification power. Maybe you can find what you look in SAKWiki.
 :salute:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:10 PM
Prfsantos is right (never thought I'd say that :dd:)

I myself clean my SAKs with a humidified toothbrush and hand soap.
Works perfectly.
I re-oil it afterworths.

Keep in mind:
To hot temperatures of the dishwasher will lead to the heat treatment of your SAK getting ruined, weakening the steel and dulling it faster.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:53 PM
Prfsantos is right (never thought I'd say that :dd:)

I myself clean my SAKs with a humidified toothbrush and hand soap.
Works perfectly.
I re-oil it afterworths.

Keep in mind:
To hot temperatures of the dishwasher will lead to the heat treatment of your SAK getting ruined, weakening the steel and dulling it faster.

Well, never thought I'd hear that...
 :woohoo:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 06:16:42 PM

I think the older models were glass and the new ones acrylic. There's also a difference in the magnification power. Maybe you can find what you look in SAKWiki.

[/quote]

Does anyone know if there is a general consensus on which lens material is considered to be better?  the glass or the plastic.  I used to have a cheap clone of a swiss champ when I was a kid and it had a plastic lens. 
I've never had a Victorinox SAK that had the magnifying glass.   ???

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 06:19:10 PM

Does anyone know if there is a general consensus on which lens material is considered to be better?  the glass or the plastic.  I used to have a cheap clone of a swiss champ when I was a kid and it had a plastic lens. 
[/quote]Results vary.
What works better for one doesn't work better for the other.
There is also a difference in magnification (4x vs 6x)
I've got both an old style mag lens and a new one, and they both perform great.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 07:00:26 PM
Keep in mind:
Wait. What?

So it's not safe to wash stainless steel knives in a dishwasher? Households, hotels, and restaurants around the world should be notified!

Water boils and turns to steam at only 212°F. Steel is tempered at much higher temperatures than that. My dishwasher doesn't even boil the water. It washes with water around 160°F to 180°F or so. The dishwasher doesn't even melt the plastic cups.

I've been washing my SAKs in the dishwasher for decades and never noticed any problems with any of the tools. Honestly, that idea sounds pretty absurd to me.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:15:30 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 07:07:21 PM
Keep in mind:
Wait. What?

So it's not safe to wash stainless steel knives in a dishwasher? Households, hotels, and restaurants around the world should be notified!

Water boils and turns to steam at only 212°F. Steel is tempered at much higher temperatures than that. My dishwasher doesn't even boil the water. It washes with water around 160°F to 180°F or so.

I've been washing my SAKs in the dishwasher for decades and never noticed any problems with any of the tools. Honestly, that idea sounds pretty absurd to me.

Entirely agreed! if 160-180 F hurts steel, we're in big trouble.
Now whether or not it has a negative effect on the cellidor or nylon handles, I haven't a clue. I'd wash an Alox in the dishwasher, but anything with plastic handles i just let sit in a tub of soapy water, then scrub the daylights out of them with a toothbrush. Blow out with compressed air to dry then  wrap it up in cloth and set it in the gunsafe with dehumidifier to get any final moisture out of the way
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:33 PM
Keep in mind:
Wait. What?

Water boils and turns to steam at only 212°F. Steel is tempered at much higher temperatures than that. My dishwasher doesn't even boil the water. It washes with water around 160°F to 180°F or so. The dishwasher doesn't even melt the plastic cups.

While i don't think the dishwasher temperatures would be hot enough to serious damage the steel of the tools, i would never put any of my beloved Sak's with in 100 miles of a dishwasher, cellidor, alox or whatever.
First because of the (still) high temperatures would ruin the cellidor (or other softer materials) scales over time, second because dishwashers use salt (or salt based products) that would  corrode (or contribute to corrosion) of the aluminium liners over time or alox scales.
And last, because i actually care enough for my Sak's to be bothered by carefully washing them by hand, with lukewarm soapy water and a small brush, drying them and oiling them afterwards, do a little polish to the tools or scales if needed, and sharpening. I wouldn't just "throw" them in a dishwasher along with the kitchen knives and dishes ....  :facepalm:  :twak:

But again, that's just me...  :whistle:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:30:47 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 07:44:36 PM

Results vary.
[/quote]

General Consensus!

I think this is the first time I see him...

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 08:31:40 PM
Keep in mind:
Wait. What?

Water boils and turns to steam at only 212°F. Steel is tempered at much higher temperatures than that. My dishwasher doesn't even boil the water. It washes with water around 160°F to 180°F or so.

Entirely agreed! if 160-180 F hurts steel, we're in big trouble.
Now whether or not it has a negative effect on the cellidor or nylon handles, I haven't a clue. I'd wash an Alox in the dishwasher, but anything with plastic handles i just let sit in a tub of soapy water, then scrub the daylights out of them with a toothbrush. Blow out with compressed air to dry then  wrap it up in cloth and set it in the gunsafe with dehumidifier to get any final moisture out of the way
The only thing I can imagine with the celluloid scales is they may lose that shiny "brand new" luster, but I only wash my SAKs after weeks or months of use so I've never washed a new one. Not sure why anyone would, really.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:01 PM

Results vary.

The old gray style is 8x magnification  :cheers:

I would advise against the dishwasher as well
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 09:30:44 PM

Results vary.

The old gray style is 8x magnification  :cheers:

I would advise against the dishwasher as well
That makes for some really big ants :sa:

Or really sunburnt ants :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:45 PM
Just noticed your post higher up.
So:
- Ask for 10 opinions and you'll get 10 varrying ones.

- You don't have to agree with me, but it costs nothing to remain polite.

- I didnt mention "stainless steel" but "heat treatment"
is your silverware heat treated? how many times a year do you sharpen your butter knives? what do they cut besides bread and food in general?

- If you want to put your SAKs in the dishwasher, by all means, go ahead.

- Heres a link to a page on Spydercos site reffering to this matter:
https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=47168

And last, a true cheff always washes his knives by hand, NEVER in a diswasher.

have a nice day!
:cheers:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:26 PM
My new-ish Explorer has a glass magnifier. I think they switched back, but it still doesn't have the 8x magnification of the old one.

And here's a page on aluminum corrosion, if anyone is interested;

http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24