Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Luminox 3051 Blackout

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Luminox 3051 Blackout
on: June 04, 2017, 01:53:36 PM
I have just received a Luminox SEAL watch (I believe the 3051 Blackout) as a gift from a friend and I have to say it is a very nice watch indeed. 

Pic stolen from Amazon as I've yet to be able to take a decent pic of it. 

The first thing you notice about this watch is that it is remarkably light due to the carbon polymer construction of the case, rather than steel.  It is surprising how light it is for a good sized watch.

I'm wearing it today for the first time and I'll let you know my thoughts on it, but so far I think it is remarkably cool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Luminox 3051 Blackout
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:58:39 PM
Watch envy activated.   :drool:   :drool:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:16:12 PM
Lovely gift Grant  :salute:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:11:38 PM
Very nice and with the tritium capsules you'll always be able to see it in the dark  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:59:19 PM
Lovely gift Grant  :salute:

A very excellent gift to be sure!

The strap does not appear to have traveled very well though and needs to be replaced.  I have a 22mm NATO strap to put on it but it's not black and I hope it doesn't get me kicked out of the next SEAL Team picnic!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:21:51 PM
Since I owe you guys some photos, I made sure to take some this morning!

As I said, this thing is light.  I decided to do some comparisons between it and my Seiko Orange Monster, and as you can see, they are very similar in size.

Throw them on the scale though, and it's a very different story!

As you can see, the Monster weighs in at a hefty 98 grams, while the Luminox weighs considerably less:

Yup, you read that right- 52 grams, or just slightly over half of what the Monster weighs!  In fact, it even weighs less than my Casio GA-100 Dark Knight G- Shock.

That sort of makes sense though, as at least the Dark Knight is bigger.

As I said though, the Luminox suffered from a broken strap, so I didn't wear it the other day as intended.  In the end I decided that I really didn't want to lose it, so I left it at home.  That changes today though, as I have finally managed to swap out the bands for the tan NATO strap I have.

Some of you may recognize that strap as the one that was on my original Pebble watch, but as the original one was killed by a software update and the second one wasn't so good with a NATO strap as the charging port was on the back of the watch it has sat largely unused for a while.  It is also the only 22mm band I have at the moment, so it's either order a new band and wait, or wear it with this band that I don't think looks too bad.

And there it is, all ready to go!

Is it bad that I am kind of excited about wearing a new watch for the first time?   :ahhh

Def

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:02 PM
The regular non BO Luminox is on my short list.

Is the illumination as good as the hype?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:31 PM
I don't know yet- I will let you know after I test it out.  It seems a little dim but readable in my basement, away from lights.  It's not the "see it from space" type lume that the hype seems to say it is, but then I would imagine that you wouldn't want that in a military watch to begin with.  I don't think you'd have any trouble reading it in the dark, nor have any concerns about where the bezel is rotated to.

At least, that's what it seems like- again I'll know better after I have worn it for a day or two.

Def

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 03:50:28 AM
Very nice watch.

John

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:47:51 PM
Thanks John!  I'm enjoying it!

The lume isn't as bright as I was expecting it to be, but it is absolutely as bright as it needs to be.  It is easy to read in the dark but doesn't glow like a runway or something, which is one of those things that kind of annoys me.  This is the way a watch should be- that the wearer can read it in the dark, but it won't blind people a half mile away like some watches do.  I think if you are 20 feet away you probably won't even really see the lume unless you are specifically looking for it, which is fine as my arms are nowhere near 20 feet long.

As a watch designed with the military in mind this makes a lot of sense.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%