Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now I know what I'd do, faced with an intruder...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Now I know what I'd do, faced with an intruder...
on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:35 AM
My guess is that I'm not the only one who sometimes wonders what he/she would do, when being faced by someone with bad intentions...

Like some of you might know I moved in our freshly bought house with my girlfriend last january.
It's a nice, timeless, 4 bedroom house that is way to big for the 2 of us, but we're only 26 and 23, so...

Like some of you may also know, I'm an alarm tech, so I made sure I installed the latest system with some nice techy features.

Rewind: last night, 11h35pm.
I'm laying in bed, staring through the new roof window that I installed the day before with my dad since the old one was worn and the glass had gotten condensed water inside.

While I'm glazing at the night sky, I'm thinking to myself that I SOOO like our new place. And oh, I forgot my SAK and flashlight downstairs, stupid me :bnghd:

Just on that moment I hear a neighbours dog bark... :shrug: it happens. I don't like it but hey, no big deal.

But then, another dog barks...
Now, I'm not a dog expert by far, but the sound of that bark sounded to me like it was much more agressive then a dog usualy does and much harder then I'm used to as well.
So, on auto pilot I jump out of bed and look through the window, only to see the contours of a man on MY driveway, turning his heels and legging it!

I disarm the alarm, jump in my working trousers as those were the closest.
Ran downstairs, grabbing my Led Lenser F1R on the go, turned on exteriour lights, and almost threw myself out the door, sending 1000lm of light all over my street...

Nobody left to be seen...

So I did a sweep around the house and left the exteriour lights on.
The Gerber Gator Jr Machete was placed by the nightstand.

Re-activated the alarm system and went to bed after checking the window again for a few minutes.

This night was the only night I didn't have my light with me in the bedroom. Never again!
Barking dogs in the neighbourhood? Suddenly I've got less problems with that.

Might leave some outside lights on as well at night...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Now I know what I'd do, faced with an intruder...
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:29 PM
Get some solar powered lights. You can get those that activate with motion sensors so they're not always on but just light up when there's something moving. It will work as an added feature of alarm. If the neighbours see the lights on is because there was something moving around.

One other thing: DON'T GET OUT AFTER AN INTRUDER! You don't know how many there are, if they have weapons, if they want to "just" robb you or to injure you... Stay inside, where you have some cover and know your surroundings. Call the police, sound the alarm on purpose (you'll get the attention of your neighbours, too).

Stay safe!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:02:50 PM
Stay safe :salute: I have a dog and can tell the difference in his barks but where I live if someone is in my yard day or night it means they are there to rob or try and sell me something that I don't want :D I did get broken into a few years ago when I was gone to work (they only got a few of my tools) Made me very mad but they cut their self climbing through my garage window and with that DNA along with a few other charges they are in jail for a good few years :tu: I also have a monitored alarm system as well :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:22:01 PM
Get some solar powered lights. You can get those that activate with motion sensors so they're not always on but just light up when there's something moving. It will work as an added feature of alarm. If the neighbours see the lights on is because there was something moving around.

One other thing: DON'T GET OUT AFTER AN INTRUDER! You don't know how many there are, if they have weapons, if they want to "just" robb you or to injure you... Stay inside, where you have some cover and know your surroundings. Call the police, sound the alarm on purpose (you'll get the attention of your neighbours, too).

Stay safe!
Well that is what the rational me said too.
It's just that in stressfull situations one acts according to it's instincts or it's training in that kind of situation.

What is your instinct when someone is obviously trying to get well within your territory? You fight.
Maybe if I had my light with me, I would have highlighted him from the second floor (1 above ground level)

I was still wise enough to close the front door behind me though, in case they wanted to lure me out to get in.

The other half doesn't even know this happened yet and I'm doubting to tell her given the fact she can't handle situations like that... :think:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:52:51 PM

The other half doesn't even know this happened yet and I'm doubting to tell her given the fact she can't handle situations like that... :think:

Your girlfriend should be informed

To be alerted just in case it would happen again

Don't give her a false sense of security

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:55:56 PM
Self defense can get some people in a lot of trouble here, but lack thereof is deadly at times, so pick your poison.

Local guy was killed last week when he grabbed the second burglar escaping through the window and the first one shot him in the face.

I'm too lazy to take the .357 out of the safe every day, hope that doesn't bite me in the smurf some day.

Problem is with my temper and temperament I will have extreme difficulty not shooting somebody running away with my possessions  :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:26:59 PM

Your girlfriend should be informed

To be alerted just in case it would happen again

Don't give her a false sense of security
Good point :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:34 PM
Happy to hear you and your GF are ok.  A break in while you are home can be very scary and I tend to agree we act out of instinct.  I'd say its time to talk out different scenarios with your GF so you both know to do.  This is good not only for an intruder but also fire or any other incident.  A plan set in place is a good start.

I have a dog that will alert us if anyone is approaching our front door.  I also have some motion lighting on the exterior.  We have a few plans in place just in case, fire, earthquake, intruder, gas leak, water main break, power failure. 

Again glad to hear you both are safe.  I'd also suggest you talk to your neighbors about the incident.     
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:45:41 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:13 PM
Happy to hear you and your GF are ok.  A break in while you are home can be very scary and I tend to agree we act out of instinct.  I'd say its time to talk out different scenarios with your GF so you both know to do.  This is good not only for an intruder but also fire or any other incident.  A plan set in place is a good start.

I have a dog that will alert us if anyone is approaching our front door.  I also have some motion lighting on the exterior.  We have a few plans in place just in case, fire, earthquake, intruder, gas leak, water main break, power failure. 

Again glad to hear you both are safe.  I'd also suggest you talk to your neighbors about the incident.     
Thanks Aloha,

I'll definitely talk to my neighbours about this.

An arguement that starts with someone who states "an intruder alarm doesn't scare them off, if they want to come in, they will" is easily stopped by saying "I'd like to get warned before getting a gun to my head"

My GF has been informed by now and she acted surprisingly cool by saying she'll keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour...
I'm mindblown :D

I do believe now however that the suspicious man was only scouting.
We've got signs stating there's a security system, locked gates that prevent anyone from walking around the back, an external bell box and decent locks.
Anyone who seeks a target is probably going to pass up on ours... I hope...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:36:08 PM
Data does suggest homes with alarms, lighting, dogs, and other strategies in place are less likely burgled.  I would agree with having an alarm sounding off vs not having an alarm and being surprised by the intruder at my bedside.

Good to hear the GF didn't react as you thought she would.  The both of you being vigilant makes for a much safer home.  The neighbors also being vigilant will also be a benefit. 

Many homes in my area have motion cameras as well.  I have clients that have interior cameras. 

There was a Programm that aired a while back  " It takes a thief " which highlighted many areas of our homes weakness.

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 06:52:08 PM

Data does suggest homes with alarms, lighting, dogs, and other strategies in place are less likely burgled.  I would agree with having an alarm sounding off vs not having an alarm and being surprised by the intruder at my bedside.

Good to hear the GF didn't react as you thought she would.  The both of you being vigilant makes for a much safer home.  The neighbors also being vigilant will also be a benefit. 

Many homes in my area have motion cameras as well.  I have clients that have interior cameras. 

There was a Programm that aired a while back  " It takes a thief " which highlighted many areas of our homes weakness.

Oh but don't get me wrong buddy! I had extensive training in weak spots and actualy learned how to break open doors, windows and locks in training (gouvernment supervised program ofcourse)
Interesting video nevertheless.

Exteriour camera's will be installed as soon as there's enough reserve in the budget and our supplier gets his firmware in order.

I was also planning on using my security system to activate some lights at the push of a button. Guess I'll speed that up now.

One tip to everyone out there: remain seated in your car with the engine running when parking inside the garage untill the door is shut (if it works automaticaly, naturaly :rofl:).
Had a client a few months ago who had a home invasion because the intruder ran in behind him as soon as he got out of the car.
We see nasty actions in my line of work :/

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:28:29 PM
Glad to hear you two are okay. In a case like this, you want to go after the intruder and the adrenaline will kick in but best thing to do I think is keep yourself safe and call the authorities and report it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 07:36:32 PM
Glad to hear you and your GF are ok. I would have done the same thing. Actually I've done the same (ok similar, since it can't be a step by step thing) before
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:04 AM
Outside lights work very poorly. Neighbors will get used to the light going on and off quickly and stop checking.
Illumination also makes the work easier for the thieves. Every study I've seen shows that outside light increases the risk of burglary (all crime in essence). If it is completely dark around your house, then the burglars need to bring light, which makes them much more visible than a random light that turns on/off at random.
For light to work as a deterrent it needs to be really well installed and planned out.

Also, keep in mind that a majority of burglaries takes place during the day.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:05 PM

Also, keep in mind that a majority of burglaries takes place during the day.

True!
When everybody is off to work.
The sound of breaking glass is even less suspicious during the day.

Like my coleague...
He lives in a brand new neighbourhood filled with young families, all off to work during the day.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 01:00:28 PM
I was going to weigh in on this earlier, but I was on my phone and thought I might wear my thumbs down if I did!   :ahhh

My background is in physical security work and investigations, so I have both prevented these kinds of incidents and looked at the details after the fact, and you are absolutely right about an alarm at least giving you a warning.  It's also good that you picked up on the dog's warning- personally I doubt I'd ever be without a dog, as I find them to be a much better alarm system than any other- sorry about that!

Sensor lights, when used properly can protect your home- proper angles and placement make a huge difference.  If you have the ability to use them, I find strobe lights even more effective, as they disorient the intruder and keep them from doing any complex tasks.  They also can be very distracting and upsetting to neighbors, so you will need to set them in a place where they either do not flash outside of your property or are not visible to anyone else.

As a general rule, most criminals, especially the ones that come out at night, are lazy and won't risk a house with a defense plan, whether it's an alarm system, physical deterrents or dogs, especially if there's an easier target close by.  And there's always an easier target.  There's also always the possibility (check legality in your areas) of using a paintball gun on a criminal trying to get in- it is a nonlethal (but painful!) method of deterring someone, plus it usually makes that person very easy to identify for the police.  Of course, if it's a neighbor that forgot his keys then you may not be invited to the next barbecue!

I also agree that you should have stayed in the house with the alarm active, but you know that and there's not much point in rehashing it.

Personally, I love the idea of systems like Flash Fog that release a thick fog in seconds, removing the person's ability to see, then coupling that with recordings of dogs barking, flashing red and blue lights (or whatever your local police use), strobes, sirens, and recording of barking dogs getting closer.  Admittedly this is more suitable to a commercial location, but using multiple speakers you can cause the intruder to have to turn around several times without the benefit of sight, and they'll probably still be there when the police arrive because they'll have lost the door.   >:D

Dear old Uncle Def is a great criminal, which is what makes him an even better security speSmurfpillst!  >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 01:23:22 PM
(...)

As a general rule, most criminals, especially the ones that come out at night, are lazy and won't risk a house with a defense plan, whether it's an alarm system, physical deterrents or dogs, especially if there's an easier target close by.  And there's always an easier target.  There's also always the possibility (check legality in your areas) of using a paintball gun on a criminal trying to get in- it is a nonlethal (but painful!) method of deterring someone, plus it usually makes that person very easy to identify for the police.  Of course, if it's a neighbor that forgot his keys then you may not be invited to the next barbecue!

(...)

Dear old Uncle Def is a great criminal, which is what makes him an even better security speSmurfpillst!  >:D

Def

General Rule!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 05:03:19 PM
(...)

(...)

Def

General Rule!

:salute:
Just stole pfrsantos' post because he shrinked the quote already :D
The smoke systems are available here under the "Bandit" brand.
Belgian company at a 20min drive from here.
Extremely effective indeed but dang expensive! Costs more then an entire alarm system by itself.

I do believe now would be a good time to go and plug my airsoft in the charger... :D

Downside of a dog: if you're gone for 2 weeks, the dog usualy won't stay at home either. But then again, an alarm system won't bite an intruder and won't protect you with it's "life" like a good dogfriend :rofl: would.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 05:06:20 PM
Just got notification the alarm got triggered!! Racing home noww!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 05:22:14 PM
Ok, so...
The event took place in the garden shed. Door was standing open but I think I forgot to lock it yesterday. Doesn't explain why the door was standing open though...
Nothing missing on first sight.

Staying vigilant.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
Hope all is ok,I grab my 6 Dcell maglite if i hear my dog bark during the night,I let him run out in the yard as he always grabs his punctured football and shakes it around aggressively, should scare them off, if not I'll blind them and hit them in the head  ;)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:48 PM
Ok, so...
The event took place in the garden shed. Door was standing open but I think I forgot to lock it yesterday. Doesn't explain why the door was standing open though...

Staying vigilant.

:dwts:

Man this really suggs. Do you also have camera's?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 05:28:52 PM
Even if you're not missing anything, always report stuff like this to the police. If more people in your neighbourhood report stuff like this it might trigger them to investigate or at least patrol more often. If noone reports anything the police also doesn't do anything.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 05:58:19 PM
Ok, so...

Staying vigilant.

:dwts:

Man this really suggs. Do you also have camera's?
Not yet... was planning on installing some in the future anyway.
Even if you're not missing anything, always report stuff like this to the police. If more people in your neighbourhood report stuff like this it might trigger them to investigate or at least patrol more often. If noone reports anything the police also doesn't do anything.
And good point!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:02 PM
I did notice the wind has picked up quite some speed.
Everything that's not screwtight gets blown away atm.
Probably the wind that opened the door after not being shut tight yesterday.
Might still report anyway.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 11:47:58 AM
2 hours drive from home atm and just got another notification... :ahhh

Garden shed again! :ahhh

So I check my app: system disarmed?

Requested the log: system unset by: my girlfriend.

Immediatly get a call "sorry, I forgot to unset it. Stored my bike back inside"

This week has been bad for my nerves :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 12:04:20 PM
2 hours drive from home atm and just got another notification... :ahhh

Garden shed again! :ahhh

So I check my app: system disarmed?

Requested the log: system unset by: my girlfriend.

Immediatly get a call "sorry, I forgot to unset it. Stored my bike back inside"

This week has been bad for my nerves :D

There's always an explanation.

Show content

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD