Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?
on: June 05, 2017, 12:35:09 PM
That is the question

Thanks!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:41:38 PM
No. That is the answer.

You're welcome :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:42:33 PM
Here in the communist state of NJ, using the justification of self-defense for carrying a knife is enough to get you a felony.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
Oh please not again  :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:46 PM
Code: [Select]
Oh please not again  :facepalm:

Is there another post about this question? :o

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:56:12 PM
SAK is the biggest knife I carry. So I suppose I could throw it at an attacker and hope he/she drools over its awesomeness long enough I have time to run away...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
I don't carry a knife for self defense.

When I was younger and was an up and comer in the private security field I did, but then I also carried a baton, pepper spray, a kubaton and a number of other things to get myself out of trouble, and I did find myself in a few situations where each of those could have potentially been used.

However, the liability of using each one often kept me from using them, especially the knife.  The knife was added to my duty belt as a last ditch weapon, and it was a Cold Steel Para Edge Tanto, carried handle down under my latex glove pouch, centrally located right in the back, so it could be accessed quickly with either hand in an emergency, and the black handle was well camoflaged against my black uniform pants, so few people (if anyone) knew it was there.

Each time I was in a position to grab for it, and would have been justified in using it, I asked myself "am I ready to take this person's life?"

The answer every time was no, and while that hesitation could have cost me mine, I always managed to find other, better solutions.  I can't help but feel that if things had been that serious (ie a "him or me" scenario) then I would have used it, because I never intended to allow myself to be killed over $10/hour, but that concern kept me from overreacting and taking a step that history has shown didn't need to be taken.

There is a responsibility involved in the use of weapons, and I think people often miss that.  When you are armed in any way, you need to go the extra mile to stay out of altercations, because the ramifications of being armed in a situation are much higher than a simple fist fight.  Even if you win, a jury of your peers, with the benefit of hindsight and not suffering an adrenaline rush may still see you as being in the wrong, and you could be ruining your life forever.

The flip side of that is that muggings never happen the way they do in Hollywood.  You are never approached by one person holding a flimsy Italian stiletto and demanding your wallet.  The reality is, it's often a gun, or, more likely, several assailants that surround you, or both.  And, worse, often they would rather hit you when you aren't expecting it, and while you are stunned they will take what they want from you and there's not a lot you can do about it, no matter how armed you are.  Worse, your knife, gun, pepper spray, kubaton etc that you have along for your own protection is likely to then be used to threaten and/or harm someone else.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that one doesn't carry something to protect themselves, or suggest that you roll over for bad guys.  My suggestion is that your defense starts before you leave home, with a sense of where you are going, what you are likely to encounter, avoid potentially dangerous situations where possible and employ other means of deterring issues before they become situations.

A knife won't defend you.  You will defend you, or not, and the knife, depending on your skills may help you, but it could just as easily be used against you.  If you want to carry a knife, gun, kubaton, baton, pepper spray etc, learn to use them.  Spend time training with them, and, if it is a potentially lethal item like a knife, make it disposable and drop it in a storm grate a block away from any altercation in which it is used.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 01:09:14 PM
No, I don't carry a knife, multi or sak for self defense, they are a tool.  I use a walking stick all the time so if there was to need to defend myself, the walking stick already in my hand would be the natural thing to use.

That sounds awfully familiar, I think 50ft-trad said the same thing to me when we were chatting over a pint and discussing multi's etc..

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:15:04 PM
No I don't but yes I do  :D

I go through stages where I want to carry an arsenal, then sanity returns.

In my case the lack of speed and agility combined with a massive target for the bad guy probably means I'm a lousy knife fighter, and experts agree that such encounters are usually bad for both parties.....

But when I do get in a self defense situation there are no rules, anything goes, and I'm more likely to reach for a chair than my knife.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:31 PM
No. That is the answer.

This :)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:41:53 PM

When I was younger and was an up and comer in the private security field I did, but then I also carried a baton, pepper spray, a kubaton and a number of other things to get myself out of trouble, and I did find myself in a few situations where each of those could have potentially been used.

However, the liability of using each one often kept me from using them, especially the knife.  The knife was added to my duty belt as a last ditch weapon, and it was a Cold Steel Para Edge Tanto, carried handle down under my latex glove pouch, centrally located right in the back, so it could be accessed quickly with either hand in an emergency, and the black handle was well camoflaged against my black uniform pants, so few people (if anyone) knew it was there.

Each time I was in a position to grab for it, and would have been justified in using it, I asked myself "am I ready to take this person's life?"

The answer every time was no, and while that hesitation could have cost me mine, I always managed to find other, better solutions.  I can't help but feel that if things had been that serious (ie a "him or me" scenario) then I would have used it, because I never intended to allow myself to be killed over $10/hour, but that concern kept me from overreacting and taking a step that history has shown didn't need to be taken.

There is a responsibility involved in the use of weapons, and I think people often miss that.  When you are armed in any way, you need to go the extra mile to stay out of altercations, because the ramifications of being armed in a situation are much higher than a simple fist fight.  Even if you win, a jury of your peers, with the benefit of hindsight and not suffering an adrenaline rush may still see you as being in the wrong, and you could be ruining your life forever.

The flip side of that is that muggings never happen the way they do in Hollywood.  You are never approached by one person holding a flimsy Italian stiletto and demanding your wallet.  The reality is, it's often a gun, or, more likely, several assailants that surround you, or both.  And, worse, often they would rather hit you when you aren't expecting it, and while you are stunned they will take what they want from you and there's not a lot you can do about it, no matter how armed you are.  Worse, your knife, gun, pepper spray, kubaton etc that you have along for your own protection is likely to then be used to threaten and/or harm someone else.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that one doesn't carry something to protect themselves, or suggest that you roll over for bad guys.  My suggestion is that your defense starts before you leave home, with a sense of where you are going, what you are likely to encounter, avoid potentially dangerous situations where possible and employ other means of deterring issues before they become situations.

A knife won't defend you.  You will defend you, or not, and the knife, depending on your skills may help you, but it could just as easily be used against you.  If you want to carry a knife, gun, kubaton, baton, pepper spray etc, learn to use them.  Spend time training with them, and, if it is a potentially lethal item like a knife, make it disposable and drop it in a storm grate a block away from any altercation in which it is used.

Def

Thanks, great answer

I was thinking in London last attack, if you were in a life or death situation like that.

It is unlikely you carry a knife going clubbing but in a restaurant there are several of them as a last resort.

P.s.: By the way: in Europe we are robbed with knives. Guns are rare here for that (not a bank robbery)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:44:11 PM by alexTOOL »

fi Offline Padre

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 01:52:06 PM
No.
I hope I wont ever even have to think using my tools for self defense.
Last resort? Maybe, if there is no other option. My country is 100% safe, unless you want to get into trouble.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 01:53:16 PM
Only an additional coment:

Many EDC loadouts show BIG TACTICAL KNIVES.
Normally is not necesary for daily task so big knives, so I think many EDCers are thinking about self defense, because they could probably perform their duties perfectly with a SAK or small folders.

Just my thought
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:00:13 PM by alexTOOL »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
No.
Last resort? Maybe, if there is no other option. My country is 100% safe, unless you want to get into trouble.

Say like in Norway >>> Utoya

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 02:08:52 PM
I carry knives for cutting things and I hope that will never include another person.  However, when I'm on my own property just outside for a smoke or doing yard work and such I often carry a fixed blade knife or a rapid deployment folder as defense against dogs.  A silly habit really. There haven't been any attacks by stray dogs around here in years.  There have been reports of coyotes about 20 miles from here though so I'm sure they will be here eventually.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
No.

Say like in Norway >>> Utoya

I'll take my odds then. And my Tourist might not be enough against an assault rifle anyways. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 03:42:09 PM
I don't. I was mugged before. Knife on my neck. Luckily, I'm still here.

Personally i wanna punish those who hurt people. I know self defense and taekwondo but i know self defense won't justify what i might do. Funny how the law works.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 03:57:14 PM
My answer is NO.  I also don't carry a folder nor am I carrying a MT on my off days either.  The largest knife I carry is my 84mm SAK. 

I feel spacial awareness and being alert yet not paranoid is key for me.  I do however carry pepper spray gel.  I've almost had to use it but the guy that was trying to start trouble was more about talk than anything so I defused rather than sprayed.

I'm pretty good at reading situations and so far have been able to avoid bad ones.
IMG_2972.JPG
* IMG_2972.JPG (Filesize: 171.6 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 04:04:38 PM
No, I don't carry a knife, multi or sak for self defense, they are a tool.  I use a walking stick all the time so if there was to need to defend myself, the walking stick already in my hand would be the natural thing to use.

That sounds awfully familiar, I think 50ft-trad said the same thing to me when we were chatting over a pint and discussing multi's etc..

That's all you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tC5O7HV_KY

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 04:11:58 PM

Pre-note: Alex, we live in the same country and yeah I know the law here, line by line and word by word.

Yes, so I am one of those "EDCers" who carry a big folder.
And yes, it is a last ditch defensive option in case it ever, by some crazy unprevented and unpredictable cause gets to that.
I also carry a decent sized folder, a MT and pepper spray.

I've had to use the pepper spray once in my life. It worked, but also affected my vision and it was a true mess. Won't recommend the experience
I've had to use a knife one for defense, only displaying it was enough against two would-be muggers. Won't recommend it either, and it luckily ended in that. It was stupid by my side to take the knife out, I wouldn't do it today.

My first line of defense is self-awareness, then come my shoes and legs. The third line is wording and use of language and signs, fourth option the  flashlight and then pepper spray
If my life was in imminent danger or the situation was extreme I'd go for a bludgeon such as the MT held in the hand (kubaton style), or thrown at the threat. The final, last and less ideal option would be the knife, or blade. In that regard, bigger is better. No discussion there
My biggest reason to carry that is dogs, such as Pitbulls and Dobermanns, as well as other wild fauna (pigs and hogs) that are around the places I work in or I sometimes go through.

While a long blade is the only way to reach a wild animal's internals quickly and assuredly enough to cease the attack, the added length also has the benefit of the intimidation factor if we're talking two-legged predators.

Finally, I have used my longer blades occasionally to cut things that were far away or unaccessible to my shorter blades

So yes, I am conscious that bigger than 4" blades are illegal to carry by all means in my country, and any other blade length has to be justified if you happen to have it on you, but again I've never ever had any legal trouble because of my folders, or have had any issue with people, as nobody knows that I carry them
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 04:23:55 PM

Def

Well said.

The mindset and awareness are very important but I still believe that it is a bad idea to bring a knife to a gunfight.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 04:31:33 PM
Funny thing, over here Pepper spray = GBH

My first line of defense is self-awareness, then come my shoes and legs.

+1

I wanted to ask about peripheral vision and paranoia...........I view myself as not easily surprised.....

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:10 PM
No. That is the answer.

This :)
Me too. I carry no knife (except when I was in Boy Scouts), just an MT. And the MT is for work or household mainrenance.   :multi:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:54 PM
Funny thing, over here Pepper spray = GBH

I wanted to ask about peripheral vision and paranoia...........I view myself as not easily surprised.....

Here in California its legal to carry and use pepper spray in a lawful manner.  There was a fight last year on our light rail system where young men who were engaged spilled over into passengers.  A woman sprayed those men unfortunately other passengers in the process.   When the car stopped some of the men exited leaving one man badly injured.  You could see from the video people who were sprayed rubbing their eyes, clearly effected.

My thought is pepper spray can "level" the field for some situations.  I am happy to provide it and instruct my daughters in the lawful use of it.  This is in no way is instead of also instructing them in being situationally aware or asking for security escort to their vehicles.  Our malls and their campus both provide security escorts.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 08:28:24 PM
I have never carried any knife that would remotely tempt me to use it for self defense. The reason is, I saw a real knife fight once, and that was burned into my memory. It was a blood bath with both fighters going to the ER, with one dying, the other in intensive care for a long while, eventually going to prison.

I was a young man serving in the army, and I was at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. Two young soldiers got into it, over a drug deal. One had sold the other a baggie of pot, and the buyer claimed that the baggie was light and wanted money back. The fight started with fists,  and went to knives when one started to loose. At that time, the PX sold the Buck 110's for 12 dollars, and every swinging Richard on base had one on his hip in the black leather pouch.

What happened was shed bloody butchery, with both soldiers hacking and slashing at each other. When it was over in a few minutes, they both were in critical condition. They brought up a water truck from the motor pool to hose off the pavement. Yes, there was that much blood that they needed the water truck. One soldier dead on arrival, the other was nursed back to where he could stand, then went off to Ft. Leavenworth military prison.

After seeing the bloody mess that was a knife fight, I don't carry anything but a small penknife or SAK. I never want to be even tempted to draw a knife for use as a weapon. People who carry knives as weapons are delusional, and have no idea what is really going to happen when you pull a knife on a criminal that has one. Do you really want to knife fight with a psycho that may be on drugs?

Early on in life, I chose a stout walking stick, like an Irish blackthorn or self made hornbeam sticks that can be used for either a blocking tool or impact weapon. I'd rather keep some distance and whack the ever loving dog poo out of an attacker. If it's close range, I'll use the butt end of a AA mini mag to hammer fist temple or eye socket strikes. A sturdy all metal pen can be used against eyes, throat, mastoid gland. Now in my retirement I live in Texas, so I have a carry license for a handgun, which goes in my pocket.

DO NOT USE A KNIFE! You really have no idea what is really going to happen in the real world when you pull a knife out in a bad situation.

I keep my sticks in an umbrella stand by the door and just grab one on the way out.

No matter where I fly, the stick goes right on the plane with me. Totally under the radar weapon.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:40:15 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:23 PM
No.   I carry a reasonably sized knife for everyday use, and self defense if needed, but not expressly for that job.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 09:43:51 PM
When i was young and stupid in high school days, I had a "job" and dealt with dangerous people, so I carried a stun gun & steel knuckles. I regret and feel ashame for the horrible things I done with them.

However, my favorite thing to use for my own protection was simply a bicycle.
They were everywhere, I would pick one up hold it up front as a shield, then ram the bad guys with it, drop the bike on top of them so them cant move, or use the bike as roadblocks when I need to retreat.   

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:27:08 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 10:00:24 PM
No. In a knife-against-knife fight I won't stand a chance. Like CBL51, I prefer a stick. I did kendo and jodo for some time, long ago, which gives me the confidence I need to use it properly. And besides, during working hours I'm likely to carry a hoe or a rake. Nobody threatens a person with a hoe or a rake. I must add that I never experienced a real situation.

PS I've been thinking about learning how to use a scythe though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:08:31 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 11:08:31 PM
I carry a SAK as an all-purpose tool.

Self defense is not an issue. If it was I'd have a concealed carry permit.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 11:31:49 PM

Def

Well said.

The mindset and awareness are very important but I still believe that it is a bad idea to bring a knife to a gunfight.

I feel that the best way to be in a knife or gun fight is to not be there.

There is a lot of study done about the knife to a gunfight theory, most notably from Calibre Press, a media outlet that deals exclusively with police magazines and training aids, and the Mythbusters. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz7EmDxhtU

The LA Country Sherriff's Department determined that an officer needed at least 26 feet between the officer and an assailant with a knife, and even then, that was with the officer running backwards and in a button hook, to safely counter a knife attack.  That allowed them the time to react, draw and fire two shots center of mass.

There is a lot of documented evidence to support that the knife is potentially a much more lethal weapon than a gun is, and it is a common discussion amongst the self defence types, many of whom's most effective weapon is a keyboard.

The reality is that I don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight.  I don't want to bring a gun to a knife fight. 

I think I'd much rather miss both such events, especially nowadays that running is not a viable option for me in any kind of fight.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%