Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Re: Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?
Reply #120 on: June 13, 2017, 07:51:05 AM
In Israel for the most part violence is from over the border. Israelis don't arm themselves against their brothers. Carrying a knife for defense is NOT legal here.  Period.  Nor is there public agitation for defensive knife carry.

We have the right to defend ourselves invested in a general conscription citizen army and active mandatory reserve system. Our police are vets. Civilians carry weapons only if they were army officers, and need annual live fire requalification, regular mental health checks. Then you get 40 bullets, aside from unlimited range firing.

Our police and soldiers love multi tools, especially heavier Leatherman. But not as potential weapons. Knives used by terrorists are from their mama's kitchen, not of the couch commando  tactical box cutter type.

Aside from that, any good self-defense teacher will tell you that a knife vs knife fight is a loser's game. If you are not well trained in personal knife combat, then pulling out a knife LOWERS your chance of survival,  and INCREASES your chance of serious injury. Not much different for poorly trained handgun useage.

If you are attacked with a knife and you run away screaming like an adolescent girl for help, you are wise. If you cannot run away, then drop to the ground and roll away, then stay on your back and use your feet for defense. Legs are stronger than arms and with shoes are less vulnerable.  Protects face and vital organs.

Train for defense with a walking stick or cane. Give me an olive wood or Galilee oak walking stick, and I will thrash 98% of knife wielders.

In Israel self-defense is not helped by machismo or anger.  Training and cool heads prevail. Trained  women beat burly bully boys every time.

Funny to hear about "only carrying SAKS." I have a SAK folder Hunter Pro lockback with a 100mm blade. I wonder if the police would accept the excuse that it is just a little old Swiss Army Knife? Or my 130mm lock blades with 100cm long razor sharp blades.

1.-We refer to NON locking big SAKs
2.-Size matters. Against a big guy is very difficult to survive. Even more if you are a girl. Even more if he is armed, the attack is by surprise and wild.
3.- I know the theory of survival on ground, by the ground is the last place I would want to be in a fight.
Totally agree about the fly away technique.
4.- Normally nobody carry a cane or stick.
If you are attacked you won't have time to get one.
I am a 2 dan black belt in self defense, and one thing is to train with a rubber knife and another thing is to apply techniques over a real knife. I will prefer not to be there...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:52:23 AM by alexTOOL »

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #121 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:21 PM
Training is indeed the thing. I'm all for well-trained  and regularly practiced weapons carry. And I concede that where you live has its own customs and traditions, and social history. Hard to compare low versus high violence countries--or even fair to. If I lived in South Africa I'd take the whole family to defense training.

Survival is the important point. In a last resort, if I had my Surge, handle open in a straight line for extended reach, and no escape was possible, and my attacker wasn't moved by concocted childhood asthma stories or my senior citizen status,  then the Surge would be quite a weapon.

I'd rather pull out my Midnite Minichamp and wave the blade around with the mini LED torch blazing in his eyes.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:49 AM
If I lived in South Africa I'd take the whole family to defense training.
Fact.

I was very serious about getting a knife for self defense, the only good thing that came from that was I got an excuse to buy a CS Voyager XL  >:D

I was thinking about this topic and recalled something that happened to me in 1992 or 1993, not sure.

We were at a pub, I saw a friend ducking for home and wanted to stop him, while hurrying out the door I ran straight into an altercation, guy had been caught breaking into a car and a group of men had cornered him....he was holding them at bay with a big fixed blade.

I literally ran into him, and by instinct grabbed the wrist of his knife hand, grabbed him around the neck with my right hand, picked him up off his feet and planted him against a wall.

While immobilized the group of men beat the smurf out of him......

I've fully realised that my best defense against a knife, after evasion, is defending against the knife instead of trying to fight back with a knife.........and a little over 3" EDC is perfect.....for apples and such  :salute:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: June 14, 2017, 02:55:03 PM
If you are able to lift someone with one hand you might not actually need any melee weapons?  :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #124 on: June 14, 2017, 04:16:27 PM
If I lived in South Africa I'd take the whole family to defense training.
Fact.

I was very serious about getting a knife for self defense, the only good thing that came from that was I got an excuse to buy a CS Voyager XL  >:D

I was thinking about this topic and recalled something that happened to me in 1992 or 1993, not sure.

We were at a pub, I saw a friend ducking for home and wanted to stop him, while hurrying out the door I ran straight into an altercation, guy had been caught breaking into a car and a group of men had cornered him....he was holding them at bay with a big fixed blade.

I literally ran into him, and by instinct grabbed the wrist of his knife hand, grabbed him around the neck with my right hand, picked him up off his feet and planted him against a wall.

While immobilized the group of men beat the smurf out of him......

I've fully realised that my best defense against a knife, after evasion, is defending against the knife instead of trying to fight back with a knife.........and a little over 3" EDC is perfect.....for apples and such  :salute:

and a little over 5" is perfect...for watermelons and such   :D

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #125 on: June 24, 2017, 04:44:57 PM
put me in the camp that says I'd rather have my knife on me while trying to defend myself then not have it, and firmly in the camp that says the government shouldn't be making that decision for me!

edit that's more my response to how this thread evolved

to the op and the question:

No i carry my knife to cut things and my MT for when a tool is needed...the MT in my pocket is not there as a knight's sword to save the damsel but for the far less noble reason of saving me a trip back to the car to get my bag of tools!

same with any pocket knife I'm carrying, they serve the lowly function of saving me from going to get my utility knife.

I also strongly believe that people should carry a OHO knife on them in case of emergencies, if not edc then when they are hiking boating camping hunting etc etc.  It could save your life one day!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:45:51 PM by WiSAKfan »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #126 on: June 24, 2017, 11:12:24 PM
I didn't read the whole thread. But we've had this conversation too many times, and I'm not a fan of it. Honestly, it pisses me off. It presents us badly, and has the potential to cast the whole community in a bad light, not IF, but WHEN some overzealous lawyer or politician who insists we "must do something!" brings this thread or one like it up to show intent that yes, a leatherman is a "deadly weapon". Whatever the smurf that is.

I define "weapon" as "any means by which you impose your will on another". When it is my will to not be beaten, maimed, robbed or killed, then I will use any and all means at my disposal to do so. My Surge or OHT Trekker would do ok with that. But honestly, I'd rather use something with a bit more authority like a hammer or BFW, or more reach like a chair. If I have nothing else, my hands, feet, knees, elbows and even my teeth will come into play. ANYTHING can used as a weapon in the hands of someone with sufficient training or desperation. Taking a certain kind of tool and villianizing it in this manner, especially when one of our own uses boogy-man words like "big tactical", isn't helpful.

So the initial question is, honestly, a stupid question. There really are such things. Stupid questions like this is why our British members can't carry a safer, locking pocket knife, and our New York members can't carry much of anything that can be openned one handed because the politicians and their sheep on Manhattan Island think those are switchblades. And we all know that an auto knife with a 3" blade is a weapon of mass destruction.

Stupid question.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:17:46 PM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: June 26, 2017, 07:58:07 AM
I didn't read the whole thread. But we've had this conversation too many times, and I'm not a fan of it. Honestly, it pisses me off. It presents us badly, and has the potential to cast the whole community in a bad light, not IF, but WHEN some overzealous lawyer or politician who insists we "must do something!" brings this thread or one like it up to show intent that yes, a leatherman is a "deadly weapon". Whatever the smurf that is.

I define "weapon" as "any means by which you impose your will on another". When it is my will to not be beaten, maimed, robbed or killed, then I will use any and all means at my disposal to do so. My Surge or OHT Trekker would do ok with that. But honestly, I'd rather use something with a bit more authority like a hammer or BFW, or more reach like a chair. If I have nothing else, my hands, feet, knees, elbows and even my teeth will come into play. ANYTHING can used as a weapon in the hands of someone with sufficient training or desperation. Taking a certain kind of tool and villianizing it in this manner, especially when one of our own uses boogy-man words like "big tactical", isn't helpful.

So the initial question is, honestly, a stupid question. There really are such things. Stupid questions like this is why our British members can't carry a safer, locking pocket knife, and our New York members can't carry much of anything that can be openned one handed because the politicians and their sheep on Manhattan Island think those are switchblades. And we all know that an auto knife with a 3" blade is a weapon of mass destruction.

Stupid question.

Stupid answer

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #128 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:29 PM
I think this is a very simple question, with just two (also very simple) answers.

Show content
Question: Do yo carry a knife/MT for self defense?

Answer 1: Yes.

Answer 2: No.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #129 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM
Stupid answer

If you want to be taken seriously it would help if you could supply some reasons/rationale/justification for your opinion ......
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: June 27, 2017, 12:26:21 AM
Short answer: No

Long Answer: No, for similar reasons to things Grant and others have said.

I live on an Island, self defence looks like this

If you really want to mug me, you can have my wallet without a fight - The cards will be cancelled before you can make a transaction.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: June 27, 2017, 12:53:52 PM
But what if they take your cellphone? I think you should invest in a claymore...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
I see knife usage more of a sneak attack or someone brandishing.  I've not been threatened with a knife so I really have no clue.  Rarely do I think people face off with knives but again I have no clue.  If a person confronted you on the street what would make you pull a knife?  I guess I'm struggling to think of a scenario for myself that would have me pulling a knife. 

Mugging.  Person accosts you and demands your wallet.  No weapon was showed. 
Fight.  Person punches you.  No weapon was showed.

Neither would have me pulling anything out other than my wallet in the first scenario.   

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #133 on: June 27, 2017, 05:52:59 PM
I see knife usage more of a sneak attack or someone brandishing.  I've not been threatened with a knife so I really have no clue.  Rarely do I think people face off with knives but again I have no clue.  If a person confronted you on the street what would make you pull a knife?  I guess I'm struggling to think of a scenario for myself that would have me pulling a knife. 

Mugging.  Person accosts you and demands your wallet.  No weapon was showed. 
Fight.  Person punches you.  No weapon was showed.

Neither would have me pulling anything out other than my wallet in the first scenario.   

Just some scenarios I've seen or heard of, but fortunately haven't lived myself   

A. You are in a dark alley, parking lot, gas station etc. and somebody approaches you with a tire iron, stick, bat, or similar implement. He gives no response, looks not like a good folk and moves aggressively towards you getting very close very quickly.
B. You happen to be near a place where a crazy man/terrorist/lunatic/absolutely out of his mind person is attacking others with a knife, axe or other tool or weapon. In another forum a member was 200m away from the bridge in London where those smurfs started stabbing people and entering vars and places oto kill other innocents
C. During the morning or night as you're walking a dog (a big one, Pitbull, Dobermann or the like) approaches you full speed with bad intentions, or gets really close in an aggressive fashion, and there are no owners around or someone to call, scream to or yell. I've lived this twice while going to work at 6 AM, all dark and nowhere around
D. Someone straight punches you, attacks you or tries to KO you by surprise, no previous notice, (like in the infamous Knockout game). Depending on the looks of the person, place and context of the situation I wouldn't doubt to pull out my knife instantly after the assault if I hadn't already been knocked out.
An attack where: No provocation + unknown intentions + possible friends being very close = fear for my life, which to me justifies pulling out a knife or whatever implement you have on you to protect you
E. An attack on somewhere else -a child, a friend or family member, indiscriminated manslaughter- for whatever reason -vengeance, hatred, racism- happening where you are and in front of you

just food for thought, I'd probably reach first for my Sabre Pepper Spray or my Kobra Knipex Pliers before in those contexts

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: June 27, 2017, 06:03:58 PM
What I had hoped to have happen was thoughts on alternatives to brandishing a knife.  Thank you for your post.   

Pepper Spray in hand for me as well.  I recently got gel with some kind of UV marking dye.  If I ever feel anxious I'd typically avoid rather than proceed.  Call me coward but I've yet to be a victim. 

If I am unaware of the dangers then I discreetly have the pepper spray in hand ready.  I think we all can agree situational awareness has to play a part in our own safety.  We cannot know if danger is around the corner which is why I said ( sneak attack ).  Heck in that scenario there are also options.

I still think for me I wouldn't brandish a knife before other options.  Did I mention I was a 110m hurdler?  HAHA.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #135 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:13 PM
Last night, for the first time I had to draw my Espada for battle.

As me and boys walking back home after ice cream, an aggressor was blocking our path and looking for a fight, without hesitation I drew my Espada to protect my boys. Shining my flashlight on the bucker and waving the Espada, it gave up without a fight, went down to a storm drain.

As we got home. I received an email alert.

Show content
From: "Nextdoor Downtown Campbell" <reply@rs.email.nextdoor.com>
Date: June 27, 2017 at 7:08:34 AM PDT
To: __________
Subject: Trash Panda Terrorist on Harrison

Chris Fivecoat, Downtown Campbell
There is a very aggressive trash panda in the storm drain at the intersection of Harrison and Salmar on the west side of the street. Last night, unprovoked, a German shepherd got attacked on the sidewalk around 930pm and my neighbor was chased while on his bike around 1030pm. These things can carry rabies, regardless, this thing is really aggressive, fearless, and protective of that area. I would avoid that area after dark if possible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:12:41 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #136 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:04 PM

As me and boys walking back home after ice cream, an aggressor was blocking our path and looking for a fight, without hesitation I drew my Espada to protect my boys. Shining my flashlight on the bucker and waving the Espada, it gave up without a fight, went down to a storm drain.

Show content

There is a very aggressive trash panda in the storm drain at the intersection of Harrison and Salmar on the west side of the street. Last night, unprovoked, a German shepherd got attacked on the sidewalk around 930pm and my neighbor was chased while on his bike around 1030pm. These things can carry rabies, regardless, this thing is really aggressive, fearless, and protective of that area. I would avoid that area after dark if possible.

Let it be known that this single incident does not reflect the entirety of the trash panda community.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #137 on: June 28, 2017, 11:47:42 PM
Is it self-defence if an assailant is only after your wallet (provided you hand it over)? Or is it wallet-defence?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: June 29, 2017, 02:12:26 PM

Show content

glad you and your family ended safe and well  :salute:
Out of the three times I pulled my knife for protection  two were because of wild dogs, and luckily in both occasions they backed off and everything ended there. I can tell they smell the fear and see the tension in your eyes, and I'd rather never face a big, rabid animal never again.
Take care,

ThePeacent
My toys:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #139 on: June 29, 2017, 02:28:57 PM
What's a trash panda? a raccoon?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #140 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:44 PM
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate-per-million-people

My country is relatively safe, 145th out of 192 in murder rates. Central and South America is hell compared to Greece, US is 99th.

I guess such rates tell us how unsafe one feels in his country. An RPG might seem a rational choice in some countries.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: June 29, 2017, 10:03:01 PM
Last night a boy and girl, both 18 and returning from promnight, were harassed at the beach (other side of the country) by 3 men.
After they took the boy's money  (€70) they decided they wanted more, pulled a knife and threatened the boy while they made him watch how they took turns to rape the girl...

I'm reconsidering my previous answer while feeling absolutely disgusted and having a little less faith in mankind.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #142 on: June 29, 2017, 10:21:52 PM
Last night a boy and girl, both 18 and returning from promnight, were harassed at the beach (other side of the country) by 3 men.
After they took the boy's money  (€70) they decided they wanted more, pulled a knife and threatened the boy while they made him watch how they took turns to rape the girl...

I'm reconsidering my previous answer while feeling absolutely disgusted and having a little less faith in mankind.

That sucks, M. But what can you do? Throw your knife to the other side of Belgium? Truth is, participating in car traffic is much more likely to get you killed than a street fight.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:06 PM

That sucks, M. But what can you do? Throw your knife to the other side of Belgium? Truth is, participating in car traffic is much more likely to get you killed than a street fight.

yeah, but I bet that participating in car traffic is not going to rape you, enter in your house with your own keys, empty your bank account in a few hours or take away all your IDs, passport, cards and nice watch (and occasionally your clothes, mobile phone, jewelry, bag, etc.) in a heartbeat

Heart disease, cancer, or slipping in your shower are also more likely to get you killed... :oops:
My toys:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #144 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
An RPG might seem a rational choice in some countries.
We have a couple in our militia group, I am quite good with it. >:D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #145 on: June 29, 2017, 10:57:21 PM
Your country is safer than I thought though Kampfer. It depends on the region I guess. Some cities are notorious. We have a saying here, about "becoming like Chicago" but that comes from old timers.
I preferred the 40mm grenade launcher. But having to use such things, even a knife, during peacetime is frustrating.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:59:25 PM by kkokkolis »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #146 on: June 29, 2017, 11:12:28 PM

yeah, but I bet that participating in car traffic is not going to rape you, enter in your house with your own keys, empty your bank account in a few hours or take away all your IDs, passport, cards and nice watch (and occasionally your clothes, mobile phone, jewelry, bag, etc.) in a heartbeat

Heart disease, cancer, or slipping in your shower are also more likely to get you killed... :oops:
I've been there, Peace, nearly got killed in a traffic accident, not my fault. It's not like being raped, but it hurts nonetheless. I'm more afraid of stupid people driving cars than of criminals.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:13:40 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #147 on: June 29, 2017, 11:15:58 PM
Your country is safer than I thought though Kampfer. It depends on the region I guess. Some cities are notorious. We have a saying here, about "becoming like Chicago" but that comes from old timers.
I preferred the 40mm grenade launcher. But having to use such things, even a knife, during peacetime is frustrating.
I frequent Crime city Oakland and snowflake capitol Berkeley, but I never take my family there.
We live in a sleepy little town, close to police station. A couple times we called for police, they got there in less than 90 seconds.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #148 on: June 30, 2017, 06:07:55 AM
I frequent Crime city Oakland and snowflake capitol Berkeley, but I never take my family there.
We live in a sleepy little town, close to police station. A couple times we called for police, they got there in less than 90 seconds.

Country-wide statistics don't tell you much about how safe it is in a particular location, and even this can vary considerably depending on the time of day (or night).  Choosing to be in certain (unsafe) locations can greatly increase your chances of being involved in bad things (particularly late at night) , which is why I simply avoid them.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: June 30, 2017, 06:51:22 AM

It didn't happen to me, but who knows who might be next?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%