Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC a SAK -and- a dedicated knife?

Splat · 34 · 5608

us Offline Splat

EDC a SAK -and- a dedicated knife?
on: October 14, 2008, 09:07:23 PM
The only reasons I can see for carrying a dedicated knife -along- with a SAK is for fast blade deployment and/or not wanting to damage your SAK's blade(s). Am I missing something here? Why would/do you EDC a dedicated blade along with your SAK?
Splat

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: EDC a SAK -and- a dedicated knife?
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:14 PM
Same reason I carry  a Multi & a Sak.

More is always better!

My dedicated knife blade (as one will see in an upcoming thread) is not longer than a SAK blade, but it is
A. locking
B. thicker
C. a different shape.

So has different application.

Why wear knickers & trousers eh.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:51 PM
According to the "Department of Redundancy Department", a little redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:10:25 PM
I used to carry a tacticle folder and a Sak, but these days it's just not worth the aggrevation :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:27:19 PM
My dedicated folder one hand opens , locks and is hell for stout. It will do some stuff a SAK can't do too well.

Chris

us Offline django.cj

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:04:26 AM
Yep, quite often I'll carry my Cold Steel Voyager or Kershaw Vapor in addition to an SAK.  Much tougher steels, I wouldn't want to subject my SAK to hacking through cables or prying stuff.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:06:35 AM
What funny though was at one time SAKs were carried so the more expensive blades wouldn't get used or damaged.

We have come full circle.   :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:30:09 AM
No one has mentioned this;

Self defense!
[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:25:56 AM
The only reasons I can see for carrying a dedicated knife -along- with a SAK is for fast blade deployment and/or not wanting to damage your SAK's blade(s). Am I missing something here? Why would/do you EDC a dedicated blade along with your SAK?

I do it for the other way around, SAK is backup if I don't want to damage my folder, because my folders are more expensive than SAK. Of course there's also the heavy duty thing, my current EDC folder is  3.5" blade stainless handle with frame lock.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:52 AM
The SAK does 90% of the cutting. Having the extra strength and cutting power is nice , one hand opening is nice in some circumstances.

Chris

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:29:15 AM

I don't get it either.  Especially when the dedicated knife is almost always more expensive than the SAK they say they are trying to protect.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7231.30.html

If I want a bigger, locking blade and one-hand opening I'll carry my Alinghi or one of the New Rangers (58 or 61/clip).
I guess I'm missing out on the fancy steel, but what are people cutting?

R

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 03:17:35 PM
My feeling is that Wenger and Victorinox locks are light duty. As are the locks on most multis. They dont give me the confidence an Axis. lock or frame lock gives me. Some of the better lockers can cover most f/b tasks. Often carrying a f/b is socially unacceptable ,and they are a PITA to carry.

Chris

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:07:05 PM
Self defense!

But that would be under "faster blade deployment" which I originally wrote.
Splat

us Offline Splat

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:58 PM
Looks like another thread titled "How much are you willing to carry?" is growing out of this one.  :)
Splat

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:49 PM

Self defense!

I'm having second thoughts on a knife as a self defense weapon. Yes, it's better than nothing, but in most cases you will be facing a bad guy with a gun. I carry a neck knife for self defense but I feel it would be useless unless it was a one on one situation where no gun was involved.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 05:31:56 PM
I don't get it either.  I can't think of something I am likely to cut that needs more than a SAK to do it.  I first got back into SAKs when I was a Maintenance Engineer and was bored of having to keep an edge on my Spyderco. It took a real nice edge but once it was gone it was a PITA to get it back.  I then replaced it with a Vic Waiter that took just as good an edge and was easier to keep that way.  Now I don't bother carrying anything else apart from the SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline revolvergeek

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:07 PM
Yeah, what they said!  :cheers: I normally carry several folders in addition to my SAK, for all the reasons listed above plus I just like carrying more knives. I tend to use the tools on the SAK and the blades on the other knives as appropriate for the cutting task. The SAK blade is kept sacred in reserve, so I know that no matter what other knives I am carrying or what cutting I have been doing, I always have a scary sharp blade for precision cutting.

Most days I have these in my pockets.

Scibeer Stayglow Abrasive Yo-Man, Boker DP Trance, Spyderco Ladybug3 (does most of my actual cutting chores around the office.

Case 6292 with CV blades and brown jigged bone scales (roughly 4 inches overall so very comfortable for lots of heavy cutting).

Lately I have also added added a Rough Rider Faux Tortoise Peanut. It has been enlightening to be reminded how much  you can do with a really sharp little bitty knife. The blades are so then at flat that it cuts like a little laser.

re: resharpening - I strop my knives on odd bits of cardboard pretty regularly, and I find that does wonders to help keep them cutting. Most 'tactical' knives appear to get dull fast because the bevels are too thick, so once the sharp edge blunts you just have a fat wedge to push through things. The SAK / slipjoint blades tend to be ground more for slicing and less for chopping through bricks / telephone poles / car hoods, and as a result often keep their cutting efficiency better as they dull.

us Offline Splat

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:59 PM
I'm having second thoughts on a knife as a self defense weapon. Yes, it's better than nothing, but in most cases you will be facing a bad guy with a gun. I carry a neck knife for self defense but I feel it would be useless unless it was a one on one situation where no gun was involved.

I've been called a "solid guy". I'm not fat, not skinny, not the Hulk but am muscular, and I still would not like to get into a knife or gun fight. I prefer to run away like a scared child. Usually this does the trick and I live again to drink beer another day.  ;) 
Splat

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:33 PM
Yeah, what they said!  :cheers: I normally carry several folders in addition to my SAK, for all the reasons listed above plus I just like carrying more knives. I tend to use the tools on the SAK and the blades on the other knives as appropriate for the cutting task. The SAK blade is kept sacred in reserve, so I know that no matter what other knives I am carrying or what cutting I have been doing, I always have a scary sharp blade for precision cutting.

Most days I have these in my pockets.
(Image removed from quote.)
Scibeer Stayglow Abrasive Yo-Man, Boker DP Trance, Spyderco Ladybug3 (does most of my actual cutting chores around the office.

Case 6292 with CV blades and brown jigged bone scales (roughly 4 inches overall so very comfortable for lots of heavy cutting).

Lately I have also added added a Rough Rider Faux Tortoise Peanut. It has been enlightening to be reminded how much  you can do with a really sharp little bitty knife. The blades are so then at flat that it cuts like a little laser.

re: resharpening - I strop my knives on odd bits of cardboard pretty regularly, and I find that does wonders to help keep them cutting. Most 'tactical' knives appear to get dull fast because the bevels are too thick, so once the sharp edge blunts you just have a fat wedge to push through things. The SAK / slipjoint blades tend to be ground more for slicing and less for chopping through bricks / telephone poles / car hoods, and as a result often keep their cutting efficiency better as they dull.

Brief review on that Trance please :D....looks like a nice knife.

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:55 PM

I don't own one but I can tell you that I've not read/heard one bad review on the Trance. Chad knocked one of the park with those knives. I've handled a few and they are very hand-friendly. The Subcom series, also designed by Chad Los Banos, is another winner.
Splat

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 09:10:05 PM
I used to edc a Spyderco UKPK alongside my SAKs as I love its one handed opening.  These are strange times though and I'm not comfortable taking it out and about any more  :cry:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 09:36:21 PM
more than 75% of my needs are covered by my SAK or MT. I used to have/EDC a dedicated folder but no more.
when I did carry both the SAK would be used more because my dedicated folders cost way more. I have a fixed
blade in the car if I need more "oomph" i.e. chopping, prying, battoning, etc.

I carry nothing for "self-defense" because;
1. I might use it
2. I'm not trained in self defense with knives and guns
3. I'm not a mall ninja :P

my EDCs are for chores; fixing things, building things, etc.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 04:16:58 AM
I carry nothing for "self-defense" because;
1. I might use it
2. I'm not trained in self defense with knives and guns
3. I'm not a mall ninja :P
Hehe, just have to say that's a great list!

us Offline revolvergeek

Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:53 AM

[Detour]The DP Trance is the one 'tactical' knife that finds its way into my pocket more than any other (I have quite a few, and most were way more expensive). It is solid and  flat yet fills the hand comfortably with a very secure grip. The blade is ground thin and cuts well. The flipper doesn't really flip for me, but it does provide a very secure low guard to keep my fingers off the blade (since one of my fingers has had about $11K worth of surgery to get it back to roughly 70% motion, protecting the other 9 is very important to me!)  :tu: Overall a very well thought out and executed knife. I prefer the drop point blade, but there is very little practical difference between the two other than aesthetics.[/Detour]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:35:38 AM by revolvergeek »

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 07:16:19 AM

[Detour]The DP Trance is the one 'tactical' knife that finds its way into my pocket more than any other (I have quite a few, and most were way more expensive). It is solid and  flat yet fills the hand comfortably with a very secure grip. The blade is ground thin and cuts well. The flipper doesn't really flip for me, but it does provide a very secure low guard to keep my fingers off the blade (since one of my fingers has had about $11K worth of surgery to get it back to roughly 70% motion, protecting the other 9 is very important to me!)  :tu: Overall a very well thought out and executed knife. I prefer the drop point blade, but there is very little practical difference between the two other than aesthetics.[/Detour]

Thank-you.  I am debating a new knife and have desided on a Boker (I had a couple and loved them). 

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:08 AM
I've forgotten what this topic was about, and my keyboard is more broken than usual. both the return button and the shift key are bogus, and a few other keys don't seem to always know they've been pressed. Oh well.

AMYsmurfLGfdsDFSGOOBKERBOYAD.

I carry an eco-sak to save a regular sak which is there to save my knife!  :ahhh

I carry rocks in my pocket for self defence, they are easier to use than knives!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 09:26:24 AM
This has gone way off topic but I want to add this.  I have been a involved in Martial Arts of one kind or another for over 16 years and even teach knife play, the only thing I can recommend is: do not get into a knife fight!  The chances of not being seriously injured are very slim.  Run away; give them your wallet or whatever.  It takes no practice whatsoever to stick a knife in someone; it takes lots of practice to stop them from doing it to you.  In the end, if it did come down to it, I would prefer to have both hands free to defend myself with.  Just my 2p worth.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 09:34:06 AM
This has gone way off topic but I want to add this.  I have been a involved in Martial Arts of one kind or another for over 16 years and even teach knife play, the only thing I can recommend is: do not get into a knife fight!  The chances of not being seriously injured are very slim.  Run away; give them your wallet or whatever.  It takes no practice whatsoever to stick a knife in someone; it takes lots of practice to stop them from doing it to you.  In the end, if it did come down to it, I would prefer to have both hands free to defend myself with.  Just my 2p worth.

I've got over one thousand hours of Mortal Kombat on the Nintendo, I can take anyone in a fight!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 10:16:44 AM

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline getahl

Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:20 PM

I've got over one thousand hours of Mortal Kombat on the Nintendo, I can take anyone in a fight!

My Street Fighter 2-do is more powerful than your Moral Kombat-jitsu!

I'll usually only carry one knife. Sometimes a SAK, sometimes a Leatherman, sometimes a Stockman. Nothing too fancy. Technically, they're all second knives because I carry a PTC on my keychain. I never use it, though. Ever. I think I'll take it off and put it back in my truck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%