Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2021 - swisstool/spirit differences/variations

Offline srivats

• New User
2021 - swisstool/spirit differences/variations
on: February 23, 2021, 12:34:50 AM
Hi folks,

I am new member here :) Love the forum and the information available here,

I am more familiar with Leatherman tools, and it is a bit overwhelming to understand all the model differences in swiss tools in general. I found some great older posts on this forum that go into details but I am not sure how much of it applies to the tools once can buy today (in Fen 2021). Can someone knowledgeable give me a brief overview of the variations/differences in the plier based multi tools available today? I understand that the spirit is a small version than the swisstool, and that roughly, size wise, spirit series corresponds to leatherman wave/charge series, and swisstool corresponds to supertool/surge series. Do I atleast have this right?

Looking fwd to learning and participating here more :)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: 2021 - swisstool/spirit differences/variations
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 04:12:59 AM
Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

You've got the basics right, in that at the highest level, the options are Swiss Tool (larger) or Swiss Tool Spirit (smaller, and often just referred to as the Spirit).

There actually are not that many models, and they follow a consistent nomenclature...

Currently on the Victorinox website:

There are four Swiss Tool models listed:
  • Swiss Tool BS - Note this model features both a plain edge blade and a serrated edge blade, with a black oxide finish and NO scissors.
  • Swiss Tool X - This model has scissors in place of the serrated edge blade found on the previous model, and a polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool X Plus - Simply a Swiss Tool X, with a kit that includes a bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew
  • Swiss Tool X Plus Ratchet - Simply a Swiss Tool X, with a kit that includes a ratcheting bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew

There are five Swiss Tool Spirit models listed:
  • Swiss Tool Spirit X - Note that this model features a plain edge spear point blade, with a polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XBS - Simply a Spirit X with a black oxide finish
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC - This model has a serrated sheepsfoot blade in place of the plain edge spear point blade found on the Spirit X.  Polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC Plus - Simply a Spirit XC, with a kit that includes a bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC Plus Ratchet - Simply a Spirit XC, with a kit that includes a ratcheting bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew

Offline srivats

• New User
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 06:39:52 AM
Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

You've got the basics right, in that at the highest level, the options are Swiss Tool (larger) or Swiss Tool Spirit (smaller, and often just referred to as the Spirit).

There actually are not that many models, and they follow a consistent nomenclature...

Currently on the Victorinox website:

There are four Swiss Tool models listed:
  • Swiss Tool BS - Note this model features both a plain edge blade and a serrated edge blade, with a black oxide finish and NO scissors.
  • Swiss Tool X - This model has scissors in place of the serrated edge blade found on the previous model, and a polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool X Plus - Simply a Swiss Tool X, with a kit that includes a bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew
  • Swiss Tool X Plus Ratchet - Simply a Swiss Tool X, with a kit that includes a ratcheting bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew

There are five Swiss Tool Spirit models listed:
  • Swiss Tool Spirit X - Note that this model features a plain edge spear point blade, with a polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XBS - Simply a Spirit X with a black oxide finish
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC - This model has a serrated sheepsfoot blade in place of the plain edge spear point blade found on the Spirit X.  Polished finish.
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC Plus - Simply a Spirit XC, with a kit that includes a bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew
  • Swiss Tool Spirit XC Plus Ratchet - Simply a Spirit XC, with a kit that includes a ratcheting bit wrench, bits, and corkscrew

Nate, thank you for the very clear breakdown. Really appreciate it. Now I'll think about what I want to add to the collection 🙂

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:26:24 PM
Nate, thank you for the very clear breakdown. Really appreciate it. Now I'll think about what I want to add to the collection 🙂
Welcome srivats  :cheers:

You have come to right place to meet "enablers"  :pok:

I have a S/S SwissTool Supplied by an "enabler" here  ::) :rofl: It is comparable to my OG Surge and, if it was OHO, I would carry it instead. It isn't so, I don't  :dunno:

Basically, I want an MXBS  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Anyone know if they are being sold again (it has to make it to the UK though)  ::) :surrender:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:05:35 PM

My pleasure!

If you were getting a user, I'd have some further opinions, but only you can decide which you'd most like to add to your collection.

Whatever you decide, post up some pics when you get it!
 :popcorn:

us Offline DavZell

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:33:10 PM
Welcome srivats  :cheers:

You have come to right place to meet "enablers"  :pok:

I have a S/S SwissTool Supplied by an "enabler" here  ::) :rofl: It is comparable to my OG Surge and, if it was OHO, I would carry it instead. It isn't so, I don't  :dunno:

Basically, I want an MXBS  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Anyone know if they are being sold again (it has to make it to the UK though)  ::) :surrender:

MXBS?
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 09:43:25 PM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%