Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

IAK - a rare breed

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
IAK - a rare breed
on: June 10, 2017, 10:38:39 AM
Hi all. Just thought I would share some info on the Irish Defence Forces issue 111mm Trailmaster/Trekker that I gathered when visiting the Military Museum at the Curragh, Eire (Southern Ireland).
Apparently the requirement for these knives came about because army regulations said that all soldiers had to have a pocket knife and troops kept bringing in there own, non appropriate, versions. So the army approached Victorinox about getting some produced. Originally they wanted a knife with embossed handles (like the GAK/DAK) but this could only be done if you ordered at least 3000 at a time. So they went with a Tampoprint of the Defence Forces Cap Badge (which shows the initials FF for Fianna Fáil and the wording Óglaiġ na h-Éireann) on black scales.
The knives were produced in 2 lots of 1000 each (the minimum Victorinox would do) which could explain why some have the old, pre 2007, large knife opening hole and others don't (like mine). The IAK didn't come with a dedicated pouch and were commonly stored in the battlevest.
For packaging geeks like me, the box they come in was just the normal type, with the standard leaflet and no extenal stickers/labels.
The IAK's were to be issued to new, Permanent Defence Force, recruits and also those going overseas, which could mean some soldiers received 2 knives; hence them being available to buy brand new/unused at certain sites!
They were first issued to overseas troops in June 2008 when 500 troops went to Chad on UN peace keeping duties.
Sadly, it was found that large numbers of squadies were hurting themselves whilst mucking about with the knives and so, for health and safety reasons, they were no longer issued. This means that there are only 2000 in circulation. Like the Irish elk they are now extinct...
There is also an original prototype version and I am trying to get hold of a picture of that knife........
Any extra information anyone has will be greatfully received.

IMG_0270.JPG
* IMG_0270.JPG (Filesize: 384.39 KB)
IMG_0064.JPG
* IMG_0064.JPG (Filesize: 23.25 KB)
IMG_0269.jpg
* IMG_0269.jpg (Filesize: 243.43 KB)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:47:02 AM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: IAK - a rare breed
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:43:08 AM
Great find. Looking for one of these for quite some time know. Are these knives for sale at that museum?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:46:35 AM
Interesting.   :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:47:07 AM

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:57 AM
Nice find!
Interesting that they stopped issuing them because soldiers kept hurting themselves with them. You trust them with a gun but not with a knife?  :think:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 10:54:35 AM
Great find. Looking for one of these for quite some time know. Are these knives for sale at that museum?

No. The Irish Defence Forces get very upset if any of there property goes up for sale, which is why they can be only found on certain websites (eBay) or, in my situation, a shop in Dublin, which soldiers visit..... :D No names, no pack drill, as they say in the army!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:58:31 AM
Nice find!
Interesting that they stopped issuing them because soldiers kept hurting themselves with them. You trust them with a gun but not with a knife?  :think:

I know! Thought he was joking when he told me. But knowing how some soldiers act it doesn't surprise me.....it sharp and shiny so they play with them.
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 10:33:51 PM
Thanks for the info.   :cheers:

IMG_2761.JPG
* IMG_2761.JPG (Filesize: 127.25 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:39:23 PM
:dd:

What's not in stock at your place?

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 10:49:11 PM
Nice find!

I know! Thought he was joking when he told me. But knowing how some soldiers act it doesn't surprise me.....it sharp and shiny so they play with them.

How many do have to get injured in the first place for something to stop being issued?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:10 PM
Nice find!

How many do have to get injured in the first place for something to stop being issued?
1000? :rofl:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 01:51:19 AM

I have a pretty decent collection, but a lot of the Swiss members have substantially better ones. Old SAKs are rare in the US, and even a lot of the new items never make it here.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:40 AM
Nice find!

Wonder if instead of injuring the owners, they were being used in fights.   :think:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:32 AM

Going to start a new Show us your Irish Army Knife thread now....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:35:36 AM by Guardian »
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:59 AM

Going to start a new Show us your Irish Army Knife thread now....
Which will have 2 posts after the OP? :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 12:01:30 PM

I have a pretty decent collection, but a lot of the Swiss members have substantially better ones. Old SAKs are rare in the US, and even a lot of the new items never make it here.
Define old please...
40's?
60's?
80's?

And which newer models are you refering to?

You never know what might come out of this...

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 02:17:20 PM
Nice find!

Wonder if instead of injuring the owners, they were being used in fights.   :think:

Well, we all know that a even though it has only a relatively small blade, people have been killed with SAK's. And young soldiers and sharp 'toys' may not be a good mix......

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 07:17:24 PM
 :like: :like: :like:

Nice!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:05 PM
Nice find!

Snip
 And young soldiers and sharp 'toys' may not be a good mix......
But they can haz grenade launchers?   :rofl:

Irish person here, very interesting stuff.   :salute:
I live within biking distance of the curragh museum, I should probably visit it.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline Mattexian

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:21 AM
In a related question,  what restrictions are there on knives in Ireland? We've heard most of the UK laws against them, but, say, what if a visitor rambled along the Irish pilgrim paths while carrying a non-Irish Army OHT?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:19 AM
In a related question,  what restrictions are there on knives in Ireland? We've heard most of the UK laws against them, but, say, what if a visitor rambled along the Irish pilgrim paths while carrying a non-Irish Army OHT?

What the relevant law says:
Any pointy or bladed thing, no matter the size or function, requires a "reasonable excuse" (legally defined term) to carry. This technically includes pencils. Its technically illegal to carry a pencil without a reasonable excuse here.

All hail the hook!

Offline Mattexian

Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 03:19:14 AM
Ooh, bugger!

R

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:25 AM
Ooh, bugger!

At least you can have knives when camping, just not in the city.  :D

All hail the hook!

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:20 PM
Nice find!

Snip
 And young soldiers and sharp 'toys' may not be a good mix......
But they can haz grenade launchers?   :rofl:

Irish person here, very interesting stuff.   :salute:
I live within biking distance of the curragh museum, I should probably visit it.  :think:

Well worth the visit but watch out for the strange opening times :facepalm: One of the reasons I went there was to see Sliabh na mBan was has been beautifully restored.
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 08:20:43 PM
EXTRA INFO.

Just heard back from Victorinox that the IAK was first produced in 2005  :salute:

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 09:26:37 AM
Further update;

Thanks to Pablo O' Brien ( :salute:) have just found out that the only knives the Irish army were issued before the 111mm IAK were "Royal Navy Knives". Have attached a couple of photos showing what they would have looked like.

Please keep sending in anything else you find.

* IMG_0316.JPG (Filesize: 19.72 KB)
IMG_0317.JPG
* IMG_0317.JPG (Filesize: 102.14 KB)
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:33:21 AM
And that was only during the emergency, apparently.

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 12:06:14 PM

What the relevant law says:
Any pointy or bladed thing, no matter the size or function, requires a "reasonable excuse" (legally defined term) to carry. This technically includes pencils. Its technically illegal to carry a pencil without a reasonable excuse here.

Yikes! How about a simple SAK? Is 'so I'll have something to cut up my food or open a beer' considered sufficient excuse for urban carry?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 12:23:54 PM
Pretty cool. I've been wanting one of the Malaysian Army ones. Nice logo, interesting way they pattern their woodland camo. Haven't been able to find one anywhere, not much pictures either other than the wikipedia article.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%