Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Making Char Cloth

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Making Char Cloth
on: June 10, 2017, 10:57:13 PM
Having a bash at making char cloth with my firebox stove and trangia.

In progress at the mo. Results to be confirmed

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:01:27 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Making Char Cloth
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:03:29 PM
Having a bash at making char cloth with my firebox stove and trangia.

In progress at the mo. Results to be confirmed
Have fun, just don't burn anything down! :tp: if necessary! Lol..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:05:25 PM
 :like:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:27:20 PM
The setup

The results  :tu:

Success at last. I've failed twice at making char cloth, I guess I just needed an altoids tin with a better seal.

Thanks to Aloha007 for the denim material to make it.  Now I know how, my old pair of jeans can be recycled   :D

Now I need to get some materials together to try it for real and light a fire with it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:29:06 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 11:31:44 PM
I like using thicker material like old jeans. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:38:31 PM
Nice, our one kid did that without a flame!

How :think:
We asked him to clean his room, so he did so very quickly. I was at work and the Mrs was two rooms over, well she smelt smoke and ran, come to find out he threw his cloths and they stacked on top of his dresser, needless to say there was a 75w wall light.. :facepalm: so yeah they started to burn! I got a phone call at work and the boss told me to go home and take care of things. The next day I had a write up slip from my manager, so I took it to the boss that told me to go home who tossed it out, and my manager ended up with one!  That day I had to pick up a new light to rewire and I got a Florence's bulb, :whistle:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 11:45:36 PM
I like using thicker material like old jeans. 

That was one of the vids I watched after my failed attempts. I subscribe to his channel  :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:46:12 PM

We asked him to clean his room, so he did so very quickly. I was at work and the Mrs was two rooms over, well she smelt smoke and ran, come to find out he threw his cloths and they stacked on top of his dresser, needless to say there was a 75w wall light.. :facepalm: so yeah they started to burn! I got a phone call at work and the boss told me to go home and take care of things. The next day I had a write up slip from my manager, so I took it to the boss that told me to go home who tossed it out, and my manager ended up with one!  That day I had to pick up a new light to rewire and I got a Florence's bulb, :whistle:
JR

Lucky there wasn't a big fire. Very lucky

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 11:52:17 PM

JR

Couldn't yell at him, he actually attempted to clean his room, he was only like 4-5? Just gotta play it smart like I did, fluorescent bulb! Lol, gotta love this auto correct, what the heck is a Florence's bulb?
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:45 PM

JR

Couldn't yell at him, he actually attempted to clean his room, he was only like 4-5? Just gotta play it smart like I did, fluorescent bulb! Lol, gotta love this auto correct, what the heck is a Florence's bulb?
JR

I just assumed it was a manufacturer over there like osram, etc

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 12:31:22 AM
I have always wanted to make some char cloth but never got around to it :whistle: Glad you got to make some Kevin :like: :like:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:33:47 AM
Thanks  :cheers:

I can't think when I will ever need it, but it's nice to know I can make it if I need to.  I just need to practice using it as well, so I know I can if I ever need to.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 12:00:27 PM
The thing about char cloth is that it's only purpose is to help start a fire, but you need to already have a fire to make it  :think:

So, you either have to make it in advance of ever needing a fire, or carry an alternative spark catcher .... which is highly likely to be better for starting fires than char cloth is anyway..... :shrug:

It's fun to have a go at lighting fires different ways though, even if it teaches you to make sure that you never have to light a fire that way again  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Kev D

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 02:37:52 PM
I made it because I have a flint and steel so want to try making a fire with it just to see if I can.

If I can't light a fire with the 2 lighters, inner tube, fat wood, ferro rod, waxed cotton balls, birch bark and 100ml of trangia fuel in my fire kit then I've got no chance with some char cloth.  It's just a skill I'd like to learn.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 03:03:16 PM
I've only used char cloth once, and that was on an island in the Outer Hebrides with some dried grass, char cloth, a lump of flint, and a piece of hardened steel. It took me over an hour to get flames. I managed to get embers three times, but that fizzled out before the grass caught. I went through a lot of char cloth trying to catch the spark, as the cloth kept disintegrating.

After that I tried friction firelighting, and aborted that before I even got an ember. If I had used a plaster from my first aid kit with a modern firesteel, I would have had fire instantly. In fact a mischmetal rod would have probably lit the grass on it's own. Of course I also had a butane lighter, matches, and other options, but wanted to learn the process.

What I learned was that I never want to be totally reliant on that method of firestarting  :salute: Fun to try, but I'd always want better options  :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 03:29:56 PM
I've tried friction fire lighting, I won't be trying it again.  It's not a fun thing to do.

Most of my fire lighting will be lighting a trangia or gas stove with a lighter or ferro rod.  But it's nice to learn other ways.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 04:20:13 PM
 :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 05:12:52 PM

Have you tried cooking on your alcohol stove yet?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 05:19:13 PM
You know what works super well too that lights quick and is easy, and everyone has it?

Dryer lint.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

england Offline Kev D

Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 05:29:59 PM
You know what works super well too that lights quick and is easy, and everyone has it?

Dryer lint.

I've got plenty of that  :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 05:41:21 PM

Dryer lint.

I've got plenty of that  :tu:
Of course. Bring that too, and give it a shot.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 06:50:21 PM
I'm outside again, sacrificing my old jeans to the gods of char  :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:16 PM
I'm outside again, sacrificing my old jeans to the gods of char  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

You took them off first I take it? No I don't want to see photographic evidence  :ahhh
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 05:00:34 PM
Friction fire lighting was my new year's resolution in 2014, still haven't managed it.  :facepalm:

I use a ferro rod for 99% of my fire lighting, ingrains the basics of preperation, starting small and building.....

Dryer lint is another mystery for me, can't see why it wouldn't work as well as cotton wool, but it never has for me  :think:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 06:35:43 PM
Friction fire lighting was my new year's resolution in 2014, still haven't managed it.  :facepalm:

I use a ferro rod for 99% of my fire lighting, ingrains the basics of preperation, starting small and building.....

Dryer lint is another mystery for me, can't see why it wouldn't work as well as cotton wool, but it never has for me  :think:

I tried dryer lint while my char cloth was cooking. It lit first stike of a ferro rod and burned a little slower than a cotton wool ball does

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 07:26:32 PM
It depends what fibres your clothes are made from. Not all drier fluff is equal.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 07:56:23 PM

I tried dryer lint while my char cloth was cooking. It lit first stike of a ferro rod and burned a little slower than a cotton wool ball does
Told ya. Easy peasy lemon squezy  :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:27 PM

Told ya. Easy peasy lemon squezy  :cheers:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:42 PM
It depends what fibres your clothes are made from. Not all drier fluff is equal.

Sure, but 99% of my clothes are totally or partially Cotton, some wool and the rest fleeces.

:think:

I don't carry tinder anyway, should be something easily renewable IMO

england Offline Kev D

Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:54 PM

Sure, but 99% of my clothes are totally or partially Cotton, some wool and the rest fleeces.

:think:

I don't carry tinder anyway, should be something easily renewable IMO

Wool and fleece won't burn, so I'm betting a lot of the lint is wool fibres

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31