Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox vs Cellidor - Pics wanted

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: Alox vs Cellidor - Pics wanted
Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:57 PM
Often times I hear "well, it depends on which tools you use, or want, or need".

I suppose that is true to an extent but often I find, (doing my best MacGyver impression), it's making due with what you have available that counts. Of course, that being said, the more you have with you, the more creative one can become to complete a given task.

In my mind it really just comes down to a compromise of what or how much I'm willing to carry. In this regard, the celidor SAK's are hard to beat. For about the same size or weight, you are additionally getting at least a toothpick and tweezers, plus scales gets you a pin and a pen. Add a corkscrew, mini screw driver possibly awl and/or hook on the back and I'd argue there's really not much comparison keeping weight and size similar.

Like one of your fun to watch videos points out El Corkscrew, the compact is incredibly hard to beat for an edc if one truly remains practically minded. But that's where the conflict seems to start, at least for me. I have a gorgeous compact and climber sitting right here on my desk but it's my evowood 14 that's sitting in my pocket for the last half a week, because it has the basic tools I want, (blade and scissors), and those oh so cool looking wood scales that I've come to admire.

That's my two cents, sorry bout the ramble!

I agree with all your thoughts, especially the ones in bold. However to put it in another way, about the  "well, it depends on which tools you use, or want, or need", for me it's more "it depend's for what you need to use it the most for and of what kind of different uses you can get out of every tool other than for what it was design for..."

At an example, the opening layer is essential for me to have, and i don't open cans or pop a lot of bottle caps. It's all the hundreds of different uses i can get out of those two tools other than the ones they where designed for. That for me is the beauty of Sak's and Sak edc  :salute:

It's all about the balance on what (and how much) you are willing co carry with you VS how much versatility of use you can get out of each of the tools despite their original intended use IMHO  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24:33 PM
I think Alox feels more sturdy and secure in the hand, but i really enjoy the additional tools found in the plus scales Celidor.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 06:17:28 PM

I agree with all your thoughts, especially the ones in bold. However to put it in another way, about the  "well, it depends on which tools you use, or want, or need", for me it's more "it depend's for what you need to use it the most for and of what kind of different uses you can get out of every tool other than for what it was design for..."

At an example, the opening layer is essential for me to have, and i don't open cans or pop a lot of bottle caps. It's all the hundreds of different uses i can get out of those two tools other than the ones they where designed for. That for me is the beauty of Sak's and Sak edc  :salute:

It's all about the balance on what (and how much) you are willing co carry with you VS how much versatility of use you can get out of each of the tools despite their original intended use IMHO  :cheers:

Love your last sentence there MacGyver, well said.
I'm a little more on the fence about the opening layer. I also rarely need to pop a bottle top or open a can - I guess I just haven't found need or much use for them yet. I think it's one of the big attractions of the compact for me with the combo tool.

My other point that often tends to make all this "logic" pointless is the consideration of aesthetics. I think more often than not that can be the major determinant when deciding which SAK to carry, (or to buy for that matter), especially for us lovers of SAKs  :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:13 PM
My other point that often tends to make all this "logic" pointless is the consideration of aesthetics. I think more often than not that can be the major determinant when deciding which SAK to carry, (or to buy for that matter), especially for us lovers of SAKs  :cheers:

Well... i really don't feel it actually makes this logic pointless, but rather it adds to it as far as a consideration, as long as it's not the prime consideration for carry that is...
I love Sak's because of looks and aesthetics ( as an object) almost as much as for their usefulness as a tool. I think it's very important that you like the looks of what you are carrying too, cause if not, it's just like you are carrying an ordinary tool like a hammer, pliers, regular screwdriver where there is really no pleasure in carry them, just a need for it.

While it may seam like blasphemy saying this here, i really don't see any beauty on an MT as far as the object's aesthetics goes, i do see it as far as engineering and usefulness as a tool goes, but that's it. Exactly the same as any other regular tool on a tool chest drawer... It just look's cold and industrial to me, great to get the job done but that's it...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:28 PM

Well... i really don't feel it actually makes this logic pointless, but rather it adds to it as far as a consideration, as long as it's not the prime consideration for carry that is...
I love Sak's because of looks and aesthetics ( as an object) almost as much as for their usefulness as a tool. I think it's very important that you like the looks of what you are carrying too, cause if not, it's just like you are carrying an ordinary tool like a hammer, pliers, regular screwdriver where there is really no pleasure in carry them, just a need for it.

While it may seam like blasphemy saying this here, i really don't see any beauty on an MT as far as the object's aesthetics goes, i do see it as far as engineering and usefulness as a tool goes, but that's it. Exactly the same as any other regular tool on a tool chest drawer... It just look's cold and industrial to me, great to get the job done but that's it...

Since we're safely in the SAK forum, I'll share my opinion too.  Most MT's I've are eye sores... especially when compared to a SAK.    Awlthough I already carry 3 SAKs with the same tool set; SI, Soldier, and OC Pioneer -  I am really enjoying carrying my new black Pioneer.  Such a looker, goes with everything.  I believe I've mentioned before, I decided to get rid of the 2 Silver Pioneers I had b/c why keep them? ya know?  They're still beautiful and awl, I just prefer the looks of the Soldier for silver.

I've also begun to EDC a newish white Golfer and new red Compact along with my black compact... a color for every occasion...  (a green or silvertech would nice though... ::)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 08:36:49 PM

Since we're safely in the SAK forum, I'll share my opinion too.  Most MT's I've are eye sores... especially when compared to a SAK.    Awlthough I already carry 3 SAKs with the same tool set; SI, Soldier, and OC Pioneer -  I am really enjoying carrying my new black Pioneer.  Such a looker, goes with everything.  I believe I've mentioned before, I decided to get rid of the 2 Silver Pioneers I had b/c why keep them? ya know?  They're still beautiful and awl, I just prefer the looks of the Soldier for silver.

I've also begun to EDC a newish white Golfer and new red Compact along with my black compact... a color for every occasion...  (a green or silvertech would nice though... ::)

Yeah, I don't think there is much doubt that aesthetics plays a large role in edc selection. Why else would Victorinox make such a variety of colors and such if they didn't sell them. As far as multi tools go, agreed on the basic silver boxes look boring to some, but I would also argue it's why LM's Signal, MUT and skeletool are rather popular, they look kinda cool, at least to me.
So, to sum up my thoughts, and get back to the original topic - I would say it's hard to argue that celidoor SAKs give you more tools and options from a purely tools available perspective. However, who could argue that Alox's also look cool and if that's what you like, what the heck. They still have a great variety of available tools, are super durable and could be considered better if your hands tend to be wet.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:26 PM
Good thoughts.  I think deep down, when i think of a Swiss army knife, it's a cellidor model, but I also feel that Alox soldiers are pretty darn classic looking too.

I understand that many enjoy the aesthetics of plier-based multitools, I'm just not one of them.

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 04:26:30 AM
Grew up with a Swiss Army. Red celidor. Loved it. It has been lost to time. So I bought the bottom one (Super Tinker) in 1988 before going on a camping trip. It served me well through the years...UNTIL about 5 years ago when it took a fall or two onto hard pavement. It hit the end and the scales came off. One even got run over. It so not take this damage well. Too bad, too. It has the nice crossbow stamp on the tang, with Rostfrei on the other side, has the old "shim" style pre 1991 snap ring receiver, and the flat screw at the scissor pivot. Now it is half useless because the layer channels got dented in the fall and  tools won't open.

Received the top one (Tinker Deluxe) as a gift from a thoughtful friend when he saw the condition of my old one. Just five years later, it's in the same boat.

I think this sums up why, even though I think of celidor when I think Swiss Army, Ihate it like captain hook hates peter pan.

Besides, the Alox or similar is really more original and stronger. And it is rivitted on. All models should have Alox as an option.

This never happened to one of my Leathermans

IMG_0517.JPG
* IMG_0517.JPG (Filesize: 153.17 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35:54 AM
Huh. Picture positioned funny. The SAK to the right (and its pieces) is the near 30 year old Super Tinker. The one on the left and it's pieces is the five year old Tinker Deluxe

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 11:35:58 AM
Grew up with a Swiss Army. Red celidor. Loved it. It has been lost to time. So I bought the bottom one (Super Tinker) in 1988 before going on a camping trip. It served me well through the years...UNTIL about 5 years ago when it took a fall or two onto hard pavement. It hit the end and the scales came off. One even got run over. It so not take this damage well. Too bad, too. It has the nice crossbow stamp on the tang, with Rostfrei on the other side, has the old "shim" style pre 1991 snap ring receiver, and the flat screw at the scissor pivot. Now it is half useless because the layer channels got dented in the fall and  tools won't open.

Received the top one (Tinker Deluxe) as a gift from a thoughtful friend when he saw the condition of my old one. Just five years later, it's in the same boat.

I think this sums up why, even though I think of celidor when I think Swiss Army, Ihate it like captain hook hates peter pan.

Besides, the Alox or similar is really more original and stronger. And it is rivitted on. All models should have Alox as an option.

This never happened to one of my Leathermans

Well... it's a bummer for sure...  :-\
But i don't think it's necessarily a very negative point on cellidor models too. I think you need to put things in proper perspective here, cellidor models are supposed to be pocket knives with other handy tools. There not supposed to be used extra hard, nor they are supposed to be able to handle the abuse a full hard stainless steel multitool or proper tool can endure.

While breaking or popping off a scale or two is a bummer, it's not the end of the world, just put some new ones on and you're done, good as new no big deal...  :cheers:

Alox sak's are a bit tougher because of the solid alox scales and the nickel aloy liners instead of the softer but lighter aluminum ones, so all in all it can take a bit more of abuse. However they are also heavier and have less tool options (unless you get into custom ones).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:39:36 AM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 05:33:25 PM
Furthermore, Victorinox has a great reputation with honoring their warranties.  Gotta be honest though, the vintage cellidors feel a LOT more solid.
WP_20170808_08_27_38_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170808_08_27_38_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 393.91 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:49 PM
That Super Tinker went everywhere with me between '88 and about 2012. It took the nasty world of network IT (said full tongue in cheek) to bring it down.

It wasn't used extra hard. I have a Leatherman Surge for that. Perspective is not wanting to replace scales because it was dropped on pavement a couple of times in its life.

LM Signal and Skeletool are not the basic Stainless boxes, I don't think. My PST 2 and Original Supertools fall into that category. Signal and Skeletool are downright fancy for no reason in my book, though I can't speak for nor against their reliability as I don't have one.

I do still love these SAKS, though. Did someone say that these may be covered under warranty? Is that true?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 08:51:44 PM
El Corkscrew...

Are you saying if I send these to Victorinox, they send them back repaired or replaced? I never knew that about Swiss Army.

I love my old Super Tinker. Will they return it if they can't fix it?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:26 PM
Furthermore, Victorinox has a great reputation with honoring their warranties.  Gotta be honest though, the vintage cellidors feel a LOT more solid.

That'd be great if they warranteed this damage. Beautiful knife by way. Pre-1968?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 08:58:43 PM
That Super Tinker went everywhere with me between '88 and about 2012. It took the nasty world of network IT (said full tongue in cheek) to bring it down.

It wasn't used extra hard. I have a Leatherman Surge for that. Perspective is not wanting to replace scales because it was dropped on pavement a couple of times in its life.

LM Signal and Skeletool are not the basic Stainless boxes, I don't think. My PST 2 and Original Supertools fall into that category. Signal and Skeletool are downright fancy for no reason in my book, though I can't speak for nor against their reliability as I don't have one.

I do still love these SAKS, though. Did someone say that these may be covered under warranty? Is that true?

Like i said in the other topic:

The scales issue is the easiest one to solve, and i wouldn't bother with trying to restore or glue the older ones. Just get some new sets of scales, even in other color or plus ones it you want, and put them on the Sak's. It's a fairly easy job to do  :cheers:

As for the damaged liners on the super tinker, that may take some doing depending on how bent or dammed the liners are. I you feel you can´t straighten them back to shape with some thin pliers or so, the best thing would be stooping by a Victorinox Rep and finding out how much it would cost to get them fixed. It will probably need to be disassembled to get the liners beaten back into shape, or even getting some new ones. And they will also put in some new scales for you too  :cheers:

Beware however the lifetime warranty may not cover damage caused by drops or similar, but they will fix it for sure, even if for a small fee
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:00:54 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:40 PM
El Corkscrew...

Are you saying if I send these to Victorinox, they send them back repaired or replaced? I never knew that about Swiss Army.

At most they will charge you $5 each to repair or replace them. Maximum of 5 knives at a time.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 09:06:35 PM

The scales issue is the easiest one to solve, and i wouldn't bother with trying to restore or glue the older ones. Just get some new sets of scales, even in other color or plus ones it you want, and put them on the Sak's. It's a fairly easy job to do  :cheers:

As for the damaged liners on the super tinker, that may take some doing depending on how bent or dammed the liners are. I you feel you can´t straighten them back to shape with some thin pliers or so, the best thing would be stooping by a Victorinox Rep and finding out how much it would cost to get them fixed. It will probably need to be disassembled to get the liners beaten back into shape, or even getting some new ones. And they will also put in some new scales for you too  :cheers:

Beware however the lifetime warranty may not cover damage caused by drops or similar, but they will fix it for sure, even if for a small fee

Wow

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:36 PM
El Corkscrew...

At most they will charge you $5 each to repair or replace them. Maximum of 5 knives at a time.

And wow again. I would love to have  good old Super Tinker fully operational again.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:46 PM
In regards to the Super tinker if you attach a note with it, saying that it has sentimental value, they will return it If they cannot fix it.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:12 PM

Mac, I went a year using proxy to try to keep the scales on. Last night I did use a narrow players and freed up the layer channels. Used some 3-in-1 oil and worked he hell out of each tool. Based on what you say, I have  New optimism

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 05:15:04 PM
WP_20170815_07_32_09_Pro (4).jpg
* WP_20170815_07_32_09_Pro (4).jpg (Filesize: 330.27 KB)

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #51 on: August 28, 2017, 06:57:17 PM
Pictures were requested, I am honor bound to provide.  :salute:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #52 on: August 28, 2017, 07:02:19 PM
Camper, Carver, Climber, PX.
DSC07841-camper-carver-climber-px.jpg
* DSC07841-camper-carver-climber-px.jpg (Filesize: 378.52 KB)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:03:37 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #53 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:04 PM
the Carver is electrician blade and pruning blade?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #54 on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:22 PM
the Carver is electrician blade and pruning blade?
No. Full name is Swiss Bianco Carver SW - plain blade, serrated blade, pruner blade, woodsaw, awl. Shown here with the Pioneer X.
DSC06730-carver-px-33.jpg
* DSC06730-carver-px-33.jpg (Filesize: 371.58 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%