Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

simple mod on knock-off Shuffle

us Offline King_Gorilla

simple mod on knock-off Shuffle
on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:20 PM
I wanted to share the story of this incredibly easy mod I did over the weekend.  Had a hard time deciding if this should be in the Mod forum, the edge forum, or the Cheap forum, they all seem to appropriate.   :D

The backstory:  My roommate and I talk about knives and MTs a lot.  He has always mentioned to me that he finds it odd that no one has ever made a large folder that has a bottle opener built into the scales of the knife.  I showed him about a dozen knives that have bottle openers on them but he specifically wanted a knife with a bartender-esque opener in the handle scales rather than the small hook-like openers that are more easy to find. 

I have always been drawn to knives with multi-tool functions on them.  I find that Kershaw makes a lot of knives like this.  A good example is the Kershaw Barge with its crazy built in pry tool. 

I stumbled upon the Kershaw Shuffle and the Shuffle 2.  These are cool little knives that have a bottle opener and a pry tool/lanyard hole/slotted driver tool integrated very nicely into the design of the tool.  Interestingly enough, I preferred the simple hook opener of the Shuffle while my roommate liked the shuffle 2 better.  (I guess that the sideways motion one makes when opening a beer with the shuffle 2 was closer to what he had been looking for)  He bought a Shuffle 2 and after holding it I decided that I liked the tanto blade but I hated that it was tip down carry.  The Shuffle 1 was tip up carry but I never got around to buying one.
KS1945a.jpg
* KS1945a.jpg (Filesize: 30.9 KB)
maxresdefault.jpg
* maxresdefault.jpg (Filesize: 72.77 KB)
KE-8750TTANBW.jpg
* KE-8750TTANBW.jpg (Filesize: 46.58 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Re: simple mod on knock-off Shuffle
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:20 PM
The knife:  Last week I found a knife that was clearly a knock-off Shuffle made from a brand called Mtech.  (I have always thought of this company as a $5 ebay knife company)  I was hesitant to buy one of their knives off amazon because I know that they are a step down from Kershaw in quality but I bought it anyway because at $6.99 it was half the price of a Shuffle. 

The Mod:  This faux shuffle is basically a Kershaw Suffle 1 with a frame lock instead of a liner lock and it is a speed assist. Flipper!!!  The bottle opener is thick and beefy, but they just have a thick lanyard loop on the back end. 

So I took the knife apart and worked on the back piece with a grinder until I made a nice pry tool/slotted driver tool out of it. 

The unfortunate:  The pocket clip is terrible.  I was hoping that one of the hex holes would work as a ¼ inch driver but they are too big.  Also the clip is a pocket killer, it is barely functional.  And to top it all off, it’s tip down.  I will probably end up removing it all together.  I really wish it worked better because the bit driver would make this little project totally worth it. 
Sadly the quality control of Mtech is just not on par with Kershaw, CRKT, etc.  The knife arrived with a bent tip on the blade.  It was very easy to fix but it was frustrating and disappointing. 

Overall it was a fun little project.  I wish the clip was tip up and the drivers were functional but I do value the speed assist flipper function over the slight quality differences. 

* MTECH-BLACK-SILVER-Spring-Assisted-BOTTLE-OPENER-Folding.jpg (Filesize: 47.65 KB)
DSC_1392.JPG
* DSC_1392.JPG (Filesize: 55.65 KB)
DSC_1394.JPG
* DSC_1394.JPG (Filesize: 85.73 KB)
DSC_1395.JPG
* DSC_1395.JPG (Filesize: 55.54 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31