Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Marlin Spikes

il Offline israelpiper

Marlin Spikes
on: June 14, 2017, 02:10:53 PM

How many here make good use of the Marlin Spikes found in a few SAKs? 
Anyone have a Boatsman 130mm--w/ruled Marlin Spike?

I use the Skipper spike for small rope and lanyard projects, and also a British Army clasp-knife spike. Curious how much they're used. I have seen a discontinued SAK with a spike. But never know what was a modification.

Cheers!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Marlin Spikes
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:33:18 PM
I like the idea of having a marlin spike on my SAK, but the only one I have is the 93 mm. That version is really a sacking needle, and is not a nice marlin spike, as it has a rather sharp edge in the inner corner resting against the handle. :(

I have seen a nice mod where a guy ground down the backside Philips on an 111 mm. Not ergonomically perfect, but at least it's round.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:43 PM
My only knife with a marlinspike is an Metal Stampings Ltd. (short lived Nova Scotia based subsidiary of Case) Canadian Navy Knife, and because the knife was beat to heck, I use it a lot, especially when I know I'll be working around rope. I use the marlinspike a lot, from my shoelaces, to untying ropes.   I'm sure the round awl found on older SAKs would work better than the flat marlinspike. There was a new model shown at Indodefence 2016 that has a round marlinspike, openers, Phillips, wood saw, and OH plain edge blade, but as far as I know, it only exists in a prototype stage for a contract with some country's Navy. It would be awesome if it is available in a civilian model.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:19:09 PM
I have two boatsmen, other one is still in the box waiting for... I dont know what and the other one is in my fishing tool sack. Never used the spike much, but its fun to fiddle with.  :D
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 06:44:33 PM
In some ways rounded old fashion spikes are better. But either way they sure beat trying to open wet knots by torch light with fingernails and teeth. I'd love a locking spike myself, maybe an ALOX Pioneer style with just a blade and a spike for lanyard and small rope work.  The British Army clasp knife has a great spike and a claw-like can opener that are great for horse and donkey hoof cleaning, neither have penetration sharp points.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:53:09 AM
Have some SAKs with marlin spikes, but haven't done any splicing since I was in Scouts 50 years ago.

Good reading choice BTW!   :cheers:

IMG_6452.jpg
* IMG_6452.jpg (Filesize: 82.13 KB)
IMG_4341.jpg
* IMG_4341.jpg (Filesize: 109.04 KB)
IMG_7000.JPG
* IMG_7000.JPG (Filesize: 43.55 KB)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:17:07 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:39:17 AM
Great topic!  I come from a long line of sailors but haven't seen any of them put their spikes to use either.
Barry

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:05 AM
I quite like that gold Alox with spike. More like a sacking needle, but, for small rope and for lanyard work, fully functional.

Land lubbers used to work with rope a lot, especially infantry, packing loads, moving and hauling, using and reusing all kinds of natural fibre rope and leather belting. Securing loads was a significant chore. Sailors nowadays don't have much rope work compared to the days of sail. Yet  a 21st century stealth sub is still tied to the bollard with rope.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
British Army Claspknife. Thousands left over with Sheffield contractors, and now sold to civilians. Strong back-springs, very sturdy. Easy to open in gloves. Don't  need to use nail nicks because blade protrudes enough to pinch open. one hears of 30 and 40 years in hand. Now soldiers want pliers-based multitools.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:02:08 AM by israelpiper »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:52:57 PM
I like that!!  Over here its the tactical fast openers  :facepalm:  I did my entire stint in the Army with my Huntsman and never needed anything else!
Barry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:30 PM
My go to "rope knife" is an old Buck 315, just a marlinspike and sheepsfoot blade much like the British clasp knife.  Marlinspike locks on the Buck.  If the knots aren't too bad, the marlinspike on the Workchamp XL works also.  Sheepsfoot blade on the Buck cuts rope like butter.       :cheers:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 379.05 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:13 AM
 :like: Nice pair Boonies and love your lanyard!!   :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 06:35:53 AM
:like: Nice pair Boonies and love your lanyard!!   :tu: :tu:

Thanks Barry......interesting topic.  Bought the Buck years ago, it is a tank.   The lanyard is a bit of a favorite with me too.    :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%