Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool S, Wrench, Ratchet? and other advice.....

MTG · 24 · 4661

00 Offline MTG

Hello all,

I recently was looking at multitools for my sons for next Christmas. My theory was, if I bought the right ones, they would be set for life. I got the choice down to about 5 models, and decided on Swisstools with serrated and plain blades. I chose this because it ticked almost all the boxes, seemed like the most memorable option and was cheap (80USD).

I am now thinking that it would be good to get a bit adaptor to finish it off, can this model accept the Victorinox wrench and or ratchet, or does the plus have a special driver?

If it can use the extensions which would be the better option overall?

If not, the other option could be the Cybertool 34 (yep its adding up) but it only has a limited number of attachments and unsure if they are universal? Also this looks interesting too https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4908 they are very cheap on ebay, unsure if it actually attaches to ST or is on its own.

Any other suggestions welcome, I have gotten most of my info from this site as is, so thank you all. If I had known about the bit extension for the Rebar or the ST300, it would have probably been one of those, but there you go. I read the ST300 has an awesome fixed phillips and pliers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Swisstool S, Wrench, Ratchet? and other advice.....
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:04:39 AM
Not really sure which Swisstool model you got but it doesn't really matter - the wrench is used standalone anyway. It uses standard 1/4" bits. (The most common standard by far).

The thing with the original Victorinox ratchet is that it will fit into the belt holder together with the multi-tool. If that is not a requirement for you anyway, then there are lots of 1/4" small ratchet options out there. Even some with torque as the https://silca.cc/products/t-ratchet_ti-torque_kit. I can also recommend German Wera 1/4" ratchets like Wera 8001 A for instance - they come in various kits.

Cybertool uses the precision instrument driver standard (4mm). Any such standard bits will fit, although only 28mm long ones with will fit into the knife for carrying. (And those are rare and expensive). You can usually pick up kits with 50-100 normal 4mm standard bits very inexpensively.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 04:24:17 AM
^^^
This. 

The Victorinox stand alone ratchet/L wrench kit is nice.  I find the bit holder a little limited in choice but nice compact kit.  There are many really nice 1/4 in kits available at a wide range of pricing.   Best of luck. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:54 AM
It seems my reply above earned me some "spam" cannister next to my profile name?  ??? As far as I can tell the reply was quite correct. I did mention products from Victorinox, Silca and Wera as the thread starter specifically asked for other suggestions. I have no connection to neither of them.

Oh well. Spam isn't what it used to be I guess.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:49 AM
It seems my reply above earned me some "spam" cannister next to my profile name?  ??? As far as I can tell the reply was quite correct. I did mention products from Victorinox, Silca and Wera as the thread starter specifically asked for other suggestions. I have no connection to neither of them.

No, the spam canister is because you haven't set a location (country) for yourself in your profile. If you set it you get the flag of your country instead.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:58 AM
I've got a nice Bahco ratchet set (2058S26) that takes 1/4" bits and comes with a good array of bits and sockets but is a bit bulky, and the Vic bit driver (not ratchet) which is a lot easier to carry.

I think that's automatic if you haven't selected a country in your profile.  Go to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile to change it.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:00:30 PM
Ah. Ok, that makes a lot more sense!
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:45 PM
Can't go wrong with a Swisstool in Plus configuration.
Be advised though, If you buy a third party wrench (Like Topeak Ratchet Rocket), you'll have to buy the Plus sheath  (which contains the swisstool + ratchet) seperatly, causing prices to go up.
My advice: If you REALLY want the Plus package in a single sheath, buy the Plus package instead of building it up yourself.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:08:19 PM
I'd like to note that the Cybertool's bits have ball retention, and any other kind will fall out unless you add a magnet to the driver socket or something.

00 Offline MTG

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 12:55:48 PM
Thank you all for the replies  :).

Well I just typed out that I would wait to see how big the case is for the ST's and if big enough, grab L wrench's. But seeing these new replies I guess I will rethink the whole thing, wish I had asked these questions before I made the buy  :facepalm:.

Noted about the Cybertools bits, thank you. The Silca T-Ratchet looks awesome, but maybe a little too precise and a bit too pricey.

Well I guess now that it wont fit into the case I will buy a compact, quality screwdriver and ratchet set and give it with the multi. I did an ebay search and the Bahco set 2058/S26 does indeed look good and is a fair price, so I think that that will be it :) but maybe the Wera 8001A. I will likely also add a Climber or Huntsman for a corkscrew and scissors and put it all in a little toolbag :D.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the info.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:03:40 PM by MTG »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 01:52:30 PM
Yes, the Silca is expensive and I guess you pay some extra for the slight over-the-top precision and design. Dang nice though.

If you do a little tool bag you might want to take a look at Knipex Wrench pliers as well for handling nuts and bolts from the side. They also cost, but they are not expensive for what they are. I've ended up with several - highly recommended. And the 5" inch plier wrench one is just so handy and cute too :) (The patent has expired by now, so the Garant version might be cheaper - and likely just as good).

Ok, please tell me that I'm not the only one that uses the word plier and cute in the same sentence?  :ahhh

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline MTG

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 02:17:07 PM

Ok, please tell me that I'm not the only one that uses the word plier and cute in the same sentence?  :ahhh

Can't say that I've heard it before  :D, thanks I will look into them as well. I looked into their little bolt cutters before, forgot about it, was for work.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 02:39:17 PM
Not everything Knipex makes are great, but those certainly are. As for Garant that is an industrial brand so might be hard to find among free ranging tools. Good quality too though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline MTG

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:38:40 AM
Ok, ended up getting some Wera Tool Check Plus for a fair price.

Thanks again all.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:32 AM
That is a nice set. I got one of those myself.

The Wera bits (and general screwdrivers) are very good, and that ratchet with its bit grip and thumb support is nice too. More and longer bits takes more room and weight than say the Victorinox kit, but for use with a toolbag it makes sense.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
Ok, ended up getting some Wera Tool Check Plus for a fair price.

Thanks again all.

Can't go wrong with Wera  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline MTG

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:15 AM
Hey guys,

There is no red Victorinox branding on the side of the ST's. Does this sound legit? They are also smaller than I imagined, compared to the big Leathermans, not much bigger than my Skeletool.

They do have a satisfying click when opening and closing though :D

Love that avatar Smashie, lol.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:27:05 AM by MTG »

00 Offline MTG

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:47 PM
Actually, I see now that the red has been discontinued.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:21 PM

Indeed!
And if it was a smaller tool, it might have been a Swisstool Spirit that you handled.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 03:05:02 PM

Indeed!
And if it was a smaller tool, it might have been a Swisstool Spirit that you handled.

Yes, the "regular" SwissTool is by no means a small tool, it might be that it is lighter than the Surge but I would certainly consider them to be in the same weight class.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 04:43:51 PM

Indeed!

Yes, the "regular" SwissTool is by no means a small tool, it might be that it is lighter than the Surge but I would certainly consider them to be in the same weight class.

I wanna say the SwissTool weighs a couple ounces less than the Surge, but it is definitely in the large tool category.

00 Offline MTG

Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:36 AM
So here are the Christmas pressies, though I must admit I might be more excited about it than they may be.

http://imgur.com/a/kPc7i

Over time I'm pretty sure they will appreciate it though  :whistle:

oh yeah, decided that the Compact would make a perfect companion to the scissorless Swiss Tools.

Thanks again for advice.
20170714_153450.jpg
* 20170714_153450.jpg (Filesize: 189.72 KB)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:45:35 AM by MTG »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:59 AM
Very nice  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41