Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kids talking about joining military service,,

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
on: June 15, 2017, 04:52:11 AM
Well like the title says, our older son is back at thinking of joining a service. He wanted to when he was younger but the thought drifted, and for the last couple of years his thought on what to do after graduation was a trade, roofing, carpenter, electrition, but today he was saying he's back to thinking of joining service! This time the marine corp..

I come from a family of service, both my grand fathers, my father, heck even my step mother, the wife's father was of service, yet all of diff branches. I myself would have joined but couldn't because of medical. I just don't really know what to think of this situation? :think:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Kids talking about joining military service,,
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:32 AM
I hear you.

I have told a few of my students in the past that the military could be a cheap way to learn a trade. Free training for a few years of service. With that said, the world is a bit unhinged right now, and has me puzzled somewhat in regards to the International scene. So with that said, I can understand your quandary.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:10 AM
I hear you.

I have told a few of my students in the past that the military could be a cheap way to learn a trade. Free training for a few years of service. With that said, the world is a bit unhinged right now, and has me puzzled somewhat in regards to the International scene. So with that said, I can understand your quandary.
Well, he's got one full year before anything, so whether he chooses a service, or trade he's got time to do so.. I guess that gives me and the Mrs time to except the outcome.. :-\
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:55:24 AM
I'd suggest Air Force or Navy. More likely to learn something useful afterwards. Generally better living conditions (not a lot of foxholes on aircraft carriers). A lot less likely to get shot at.

Don't know what the current GI bill is like, but I knew a number of people who went to college on it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 06:32:54 AM
I'd suggest Air Force or Navy. More likely to learn something useful afterwards. Generally better living conditions (not a lot of foxholes on aircraft carriers). A lot less likely to get shot at.

Don't know what the current GI bill is like, but I knew a number of people who went to college on it.
Yeah, I sorta informed him how things kinda work, I asked if he wanted to be the one who just gets thrown in, or to sit back on a ship and see things from afar, the air force is out of the question, but he keeps pushing first in..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:27:10 AM

This is exactly what I told my son. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:02 AM
Over here you can join the armed forces as a tradesman.
They need carpenters, plumbers, electricians, ... too :D

You get military training, but aren't canon fodder, while getting much needed experience for the future.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:20 PM
With the state of the world right now I fully intend to stay as far away from military as possible. That is, until some smurf decides they need some cheap cannon fodder...  :whistle:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:09 PM
Hmmmm, while there are muppets in charge of sending non-muppets out to fight, I'd advise your boy to stay well away from the military for now.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
It's a difficult one, despite my service I really don't know how I would react if my son wanted to join up. One big advantage you have in the US is the fact they will pay for college (think that's still the case) in return for a fixed term commitment.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:26 PM
Army service can be beneficiary to the person, as long as the service is during a pieceful period. US usually is active in conflicts to one place of the world or another, in various scales. Many veterans have returned in a coffin, addicted, amputated, suffering from PTSD etc. I wouldn't want to see my son coming back like this, especially in a conflict which is not clearly defensive for the fatherland.

On the other hand, if he joins the Marines (or the SEALs perhaps), he would be valued here for his use of edged tools and survival skills.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 03:00:29 PM
And that was for how long in the whole history of USA? Google says they've been at it for 222 years out of 239 years.
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 03:24:14 PM
I still regret not joining the marines when I was 18 but that's life,my nephew joined the RAF 3 years ago and is in the police sector,he loves it and he is a different man,fitter, more confident and some of the places he has been to amazed me,he has fun as well and by the sounds of it a lot  :D he even met his girlfriend in the RAF and she is lovely .But that all said and having 3 daughters I see where you are coming from JR ,tough but I guess if he really wants to do it  :-\  as said I regret not joining my self back in 1988 but the world's a violent and crazy place even more now  :-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:26:24 PM by Zed »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
Father of four here.   I tried to stay out of their business, yet provided insight when asked, and tried to be a good role model for them.
Oldest went to college with assurance of athletic scholarship. Worked 2 years + in chosen field, then applied to city fire department.  Now a officer in charge of rescue crews. 
The other son prepped for medicine field, chemistry degree, the a BS in Paramedic Medicine and works as a fire medic in same department as bother, different shifts. 
Every day they work they are in harms way, yet they made that choice themselves, and knowing them very well, they will do what is required to benefit those around them with out a second thought. I have been told by others that both have done this on multiple occasions. 

The girls did well too, each made their choices and are fine ladies and mothers as well. 

Let your son make his choice in life, leaving room for correction.  BUT, always be there to provide insight and support when asked. They will always need that support no matter how old they become.   
All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 05:39:51 PM
I just don't know where to go on this, I normally stay out of his business until it comes to something, his mother is the one who gets up in his face! Last week it was about the construction field where I answered questions, and now it's about military,where I only know so much,, we said to him if he's serious they will come out to the house and talk to him and answer questions he or us might have. His big thing is $$, he'll notice one gives more then the other and well that's the better one! I have to have a talk with him to explain something out, correct me if I'm wrong.

Marines, first in to take care of business,

Army, second one in, but to fix things or build things? Thus why they have construction classes?

Navy, float on a boat and help with what they can,

Air Force, forget it, not going to happen!

If he does go in, mom would like him to go for the navy, her father was in, but I say because you get to travel and see so much?

I'd say army because he was in a construction class in school and that's what he likes, he can take more classes next year(senior) to learn more, but also in service, and when he gets out have a better chance finding a job, especially since they help?
Any advice? If you don't want to say anything on page please pm me,,
JR

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 05:57:58 PM
I always loved warplanes and would like to serve in the Air Force, just to be near some Mirage or F-16. My second choice was the Navy. I served in the Army Air Wing instead and the Special Forces Training Center (as a Doctor). At least I was able to see Apachees and Chinooks and a lot of Hueys. My cousin who is a US citizen served in a similar way in US Cavalry (West Germany then). But in the US I would try to serve in a deployed Carrier Wing, or on a Tarawa as a Marine. Just to see the planes fly.

My advice to your son: find a nice mate who wont wear army boots, and live a nice and peaceful life (lots of mating included). Unless he is young enough to have an excess of 5 years to spend in such an experience. Then, why go for less than the SEALS or UDT?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:23 PM
After high school I wanted to go to the military academy. Physical was ok, knowledge and skills were ok, between the ears something was very wrong. They didn't want me. Now, 37 years later, older and wiser, I'm glad they didn't.

Last year I had a discussion about joining with some Turkish youths. As you may know, Turkish boys are drafted at age 18 to serve for two years, even if they have the Dutch nationality. They were pretty eager at first, but less so after I told them some stories about the horrors of war, and that they shouldn't base their ideas on Hollywood movies.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:38:49 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:14 AM
Not sure why you are set against the Air Force? 

I can tell you my bro is a Marine and loved every bit of it.  He joined at a "bad" time and subsequently was deployed over and over again up until Afghanistan.  He was in some incredibly scary situations and saw life lost over the long career he's had.  If the young man wants to be a Marine then by all means thats what he should be. 

My Nephews both joined the Air Force like their father.  Their father was a mechanic and loved every bit of his nearly 30 years.  One nephew became an air traffic controller while the other took some menial job he hated.  When it was time to re enlist he decided to go to the coast guard.  He's wanted to see some action so he went out for the rescue swimmers.  He is pretty bad arse so he love the job and while he has young family he would trade it for anything.   The nephew thats an air traffic controller loves his job as well and was stationed over seas for most his career. 

I'd ask Harley about the Army as he recently retired IIRC?  Now from little we know he is.........  also a bad arse.

My former in law was Navy and his career was a machinist. 

The military is always looking but he'll have to pass a test  ( ASVAB ) to see first to see what he qualifies to do.  There are lots of practice test online he can take to get a feel for his aptitude.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 02:46:02 AM
Not sure why you are set against the Air Force? 

I can tell you my bro is a Marine and loved every bit of it.  He joined at a "bad" time and subsequently was deployed over and over again up until Afghanistan.  He was in some incredibly scary situations and saw life lost over the long career he's had.  If the young man wants to be a Marine then by all means thats what he should be. 

My Nephews both joined the Air Force like their father.  Their father was a mechanic and loved every bit of his nearly 30 years.  One nephew became an air traffic controller while the other took some menial job he hated.  When it was time to re enlist he decided to go to the coast guard.  He's wanted to see some action so he went out for the rescue swimmers.  He is pretty bad arse so he love the job and while he has young family he would trade it for anything.   The nephew thats an air traffic controller loves his job as well and was stationed over seas for most his career. 

I'd ask Harley about the Army as he recently retired IIRC?  Now from little we know he is.........  also a bad arse.

My former in law was Navy and his career was a machinist. 

The military is always looking but he'll have to pass a test  ( ASVAB ) to see first to see what he qualifies to do.  There are lots of practice test online he can take to get a feel for his aptitude.   
Oh I got nothing against the Air Force, my one grandfather was in for I think 27yrs,
JR

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 04:07:15 AM
There are many pros and cons it seems. Need to weigh them carefully, which is hard when you are 18yrs old. That's why they target them young. But as a career it can be beneficial for a potential family and children of an enlisted parent.

It's good you guys are talking about it with him. Just imagine all the dumb decisions we made as kids, this one needs to be thought out and discussed logically.  :salute:

And in this day and age, it's scary to say the least. Yikes!  >:D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:40 AM
I just had me a quick little chat with him, told him mom and i didn't really like the fact that he was thinking of this, but it's his choice, he just better make sure it's what he wants, and we would back him on it!
   I asked why the marines, and he said idk, for some reason he likes them? I said you got one year to think everything over, things nowadays are little diff, besides they way this world has become in one you might change your mind! (lol, I threw that in)
JR

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:26 AM
He is bouncing around like a ping pong ball. 
Giving room and avoid any pressure. 

Here is a tale of a family I know in the same situation just 4 yrs ago.
Youngest made the call to do a delayed enlistment in the Navy.  Planned to target the Seabees for construction and heavy equipment as he wasn't wanting college and a office type job.  During the delay time he had a chance to do some testing and learned he had a very good problem solving skills and strong mechanic skills.  I am not certain what his actual skill set and school was, but know he was #1 in class and had his choice of assignments.  He selected the newest Marine aircraft carrier, USS America, the third enlisted staff assigned to its power plant still in dry dock.  As result of this assignment and skill sets,  and a physical defect discovered preventing his reenlisting, he is expecting discharge in September.  Seeking employment near home he applied to 7 jobs within 2 hrs of home.  7 phone interviews, 7 invites for personal meets when home this July, and each
Possible job is in the high 5 or low 6 figures to start, as there is no schools teaching what he knows and have experience in power plant type support. 

Now his older brother saw him thriving, thought to follow his steps, but his field was nursing.  He did and was assigned to Great Lakes Navel Med Center in an 8 to 5 setting along with emergency staffing at clinics. 
Then this winter he volunteers to be a corpsman, has to complete marine basic training and is now assigned to a Marine Rapid deployment team and is still in training, then in Sept, with a 6 month station in Spain with deployment anywheres in a moment.  His mom is not happy I know. 

Both matured, both following paths they chose, the first not liking his present time cut short but happy his skill set is desired.  While the other had completed civilian choice as a nurse, never would have completed if stayed home, and now took responsibility to help those in need in the front line to serve his fellow soldiers. 

Let your oldest sort it out, just let him know you want him to discuss with you before signing any papers.  The recruiters I know are the BEST sales closers anywheres. 
Prayers are for wisdom and guidance as needed being extended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:15 AM
Go online and take a practice ASVAB.  He'll get an idea of his options.  Botton line is if he doesn't do well on the test he wont get to do much of anything he may want. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:50:33 AM
I come from a military family. 7 generations have served the United States. When I enlisted my dad was happy my mom cried when I enlisted into a Combat MOS. Wishing the best for your son.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 08:14:23 AM
Get him to speak to people in the military (ideally in the services he wants to join) - Compare the lifestyles, pay packets, requirements of service, skills/trade that he can take away with him etc.

Picking one based on the snazziness of their dress uniform is probably not the best way to go.

Could also consider national guard? My understanding is it is a bit of military training, and a bit of money in the pocket, without committing to as much time and service?

Might be a way to "try before you buy" and if he decides he really enjoys it and I'm sure (I'm not sure, I have no idea how the system works) he could move to a more exciting service if he wanted to?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 05:57:57 PM
He's been gung-ho about the marines, yet the other day he came running into our room screaming saying "I guess you get your wish" "I can't join"! Supposedly they won't except anyone with a tattoo on the wrist, it has to be 2" above and can't show if in uniform, and his is right there(but if in long shirt you wouldn't see) The Mrs said they will over look that if they want you bad enough, and the army is more open when it comes to that, then she said to me we should call them and have them come out to the house to talk to him. I said no, let him cool down and let him figure it out, besides he's got an entire year, who knows maybe he'll want to do something diff? I do know he already sent a small form in the mail, he wanted that free tee shirt really bad! So who knows, there might be a tap at the door in a few weeks..
JR

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 12:07:13 AM
The Mrs said they will over look that if they want you bad enough, and the army is more open when it comes to that, then she said to me we should call them and have them come out to the house to talk to him. I said no, let him cool down and let him figure it out, besides he's got an entire year, who knows maybe he'll want to do something diff? I do know he already sent a small form in the mail, he wanted that free tee shirt really bad! So who knows, there might be a tap at the door in a few weeks..

Don't talk to the people who come visit - Their job is to get him to sign.

Try to get in touch with people who work in other positions in the organisations - Tell him to buy them a coffee and have a proper talk about it - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

You want the sausage, not the sizzle.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:48 AM
The Mrs said they will over look that if they want you bad enough, and the army is more open when it comes to that, then she said to me we should call them and have them come out to the house to talk to him. I said no, let him cool down and let him figure it out, besides he's got an entire year, who knows maybe he'll want to do something diff? I do know he already sent a small form in the mail, he wanted that free tee shirt really bad! So who knows, there might be a tap at the door in a few weeks..

Don't talk to the people who come visit - Their job is to get him to sign.

Try to get in touch with people who work in other positions in the organisations - Tell him to buy them a coffee and have a proper talk about it - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

You want the sausage, not the sizzle.
Idk, this is all getting out of control, he came in complaining again about not being able to join, so mom explained again, then even found the number to call but then he chickened out.. I don't think he realized that by sending in for that free t-shirt he's given them all his info for them to contact or show up at the doorstep,,
JR

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:13 AM
The G. I. Bill is amazing benefit!

I can only speak for my branch (Navy) but I loved it, and when I got out, I had skills that were in demand.
BUT not every person ends up with a rate (job) that is in demand.  I was a Fire Controlman, and those skills transfer to many different disciplines (skills required were:  Electronics, radar, gyros, servos, syncros, computers, networks, etc.)

The fire controlman's creed

I am a fire controlman, a petty officer of the United States Navy, my work is the operation and maintenance of the weapons aboard the fighting ships of the Navy, I am required to know, operate, and maintain intricate scientific precision instruments.
To do this, I must have a thorough knowledge of the work of an electronics technician, machinist's mate, gunner's mate, machinery repairman, operations speSmurfpillst, and engineman.
My aim in life is to know my job; to know everything that pertains to practical gunnery and ordnance.
As long as there is any operation or piece of equipment I do not fully understand, my job is not complete.
In the event of war, I must be prepared for any emergency.
I must be capable of and competent to fill my station, or perform any operation in the weapons department of my ship; to assume command of, spot, or control the fire of any battery.
In addition to being competent to perform any operation, I will strive to know my maintenance duties so well that I may maintain the battle efficiency of my ship, even on a darkened ship, under enemy fire. This to the end … that the ship may fight as long as she is afloat!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:27 AM
The G. I. Bill is amazing benefit!

I can only speak for my branch (Navy) but I loved it, and when I got out, I had skills that were in demand.
BUT not every person ends up with a rate (job) that is in demand.  I was a Fire Controlman, and those skills transfer to many different disciplines (skills required were:  Electronics, radar, gyros, servos, syncros, computers, networks, etc.)

The fire controlman's creed

I am a fire controlman, a petty officer of the United States Navy, my work is the operation and maintenance of the weapons aboard the fighting ships of the Navy, I am required to know, operate, and maintain intricate scientific precision instruments.
To do this, I must have a thorough knowledge of the work of an electronics technician, machinist's mate, gunner's mate, machinery repairman, operations speSmurfpillst, and engineman.
My aim in life is to know my job; to know everything that pertains to practical gunnery and ordnance.
As long as there is any operation or piece of equipment I do not fully understand, my job is not complete.
In the event of war, I must be prepared for any emergency.
I must be capable of and competent to fill my station, or perform any operation in the weapons department of my ship; to assume command of, spot, or control the fire of any battery.
In addition to being competent to perform any operation, I will strive to know my maintenance duties so well that I may maintain the battle efficiency of my ship, even on a darkened ship, under enemy fire. This to the end … that the ship may fight as long as she is afloat!
Interesting,
If I could have served I would have thought of going into the navy, I would have liked to sail the world. The Mrs father was in the navy and he told me some funny story's, lol, he was a car grease head, and one thing he and his buddy's used to do is when his ship docked they would buy a junky six cylinder, and drag race some nicer cars for slips, well, they used to steal jet fuel off the shop and dump it into the car, and of course blow the doors off the nicer ones, their car would only last a few races cause the simple car couldn't take it, but hey, they would make off with a couple slips! Then use them for docked time then sell them..
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%