Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walther MultiTac–an Impotent Macho?

Offline Keyboardinator

Walther MultiTac–an Impotent Macho?
on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:47 PM
Sorry, I'm a new one here, and I can only hoe the pics were downloaded where I wanted them :)
I’ve been carrying a PST daily since 2001, and it turned out that the pliers and the can opener were the most used tools. I preferred utility knives for cutting, and I always had a screwdriver in my bag. Some day I decided that something with pliers, a 1/4” socket, a knife, and a can opener was an ideal MT for me. Moreover, I wanted to try something tactical. So I bought a Walther MultiTac.
I purchased it in Russia, where retail prices have little in common with reality, but I’ve read that it is about $30–not really a cheapy, as far as I am concerned.
Compared to PST, it is really big, and it looks much more serious. As for the tools...

It is a knife-based tool, and the blade is much bigger than that of my PST. It was my first locking blade, mu first OHO, and my first semi-serrator. I found out that I like the first two (by the way, no problems with opening it with my left hand) and hate the third one. For all my purposes, this big fat blade has less cutting edge than the PST’s, or even than the small cheap knife I keep in the kitchen for small cutting tasks. The handle is comfortably large and convenient. The blade was notepaper-cutting out of the box, and few minutes made it newspaper-cuttng, which is where I usually stop. It is marked “440SS”–decent, but nothing to write home about. The lock is secure, no play. Well, a usable, acceptable knife, but nothing special.

The pliers seem to be comparable in size to those of the PST. In fact, they look and feel more like a section of some more serious tool: too thin for their size and too flimsy for serious work. Interestingly, you can open them to grasp something really large. They are spring-loaded. No play. And, most importantly, I always enjoy opening them:-)

The can opener looked traditional, so I expected it to work and did not test it. When I tried to use it outdoors, it was a disaster. This time it took some serious filing to make the tool operational, but it was possible, so maybe this is the problem of this individual tool. Anyway, I sharpened it to use as a chisel.

The bottle opener (and its flat screwdriver) were never tested. Given nine bits, no flat drivers were necessary. This tool proved to act well as a prybar.

None of these tools locks, however. Since both are at an angle to the axis of the handle, a misapplied effort will close them, probably with some traumatic results. I really don’t know what the designers were thinking (or what part of their anatomy they used for thinking), but I find this a serious shortcoming. In both cases, some play appeared after use, but the implements were not designed for such treatment :).
The bit holder (or rather the holder for the bit holder) is also not locking, and while I never made it close on my finger, this is certainly poor design. It is solid metal, but it still looks and feels somewhat flimsy.

The glass-breaker was never tested.
The sheath was a disappointment. The tool itself is not small, and carrying it on my belt  is quite inconvenient.
Well, it looks like every tool in this multitool has its shortcomings. Am I using it? Most certainly! I’ve got used to its character, and I still like the looks.
As far as I am concerned, the problem with this tool is that is could have been much, much better if it was designed as a light-duty one with a big knife. Say, using 4-mm bits could make it possible to carry them on-board (the handle is broad and thick). A simple hole in the handle (Zilla style and maybe an extension for better access would have made it a great light-to-medium-duty screwdriver. Combined with more needlenose pliers, a thinner plain edge blade, and well-aligned tail implements (can and bottle openers, or chisel and prybar, if you like it), this could have resulted in a lighter, while a more robust tool.
Pros:
Good knife;
Pliers;
Bit holder.
Cons:
Flimsy pliers;
BAD can opener;
Non-locking bit holder.
DSCN4318.JPG
* DSCN4318.JPG (Filesize: 153.01 KB)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:24:17 PM by Keyboardinator »

Offline Keyboardinator

Re: Walther MultiTac–an Impotent Macho?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:09 PM
Sorry, looks like I can attach one picture at a time. This is the first  :)
DSCN4312.JPG
* DSCN4312.JPG (Filesize: 151.46 KB)

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:39 PM
The second
DSCN4313.JPG
* DSCN4313.JPG (Filesize: 143.37 KB)

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:15:17 PM
OK, I managed it  :(