Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need adapter 1/4" for SAK Cybertool ?

ar Offline fantasma64

• New User
  • Cybertool
I need adapter 1/4" for SAK Cybertool ?
on: June 15, 2017, 11:30:31 PM

Hi, I found this forum looking for information about my tool.  :climber:

I need your help, I want to find an adapter to use standard bits (1/4" hex) on my cybertool screwdriver. Is this possible?  ::)

Or the other way, to find more variety of bits for my cybertool, how should I look for them in ebay? microbits maybe? How do you know these bits? I find nothing  :(

I found this:

But i need opposite   :rant:

haha sorry for my english I use the Google traductor.
& thanks for the assistance  :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: I need adapter 1/4" for SAK Cybertool ?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:41 AM
The Cybertool use the 4mm precision bit standard. There are lots of those bits available inexpensively and usually in large sets. The cybertool bits are held in place by a tiny ball though, and that is not standard. So to hold standard bits you might want to try a piece of shrink tube over the end, or getting magnet in the bottom of the holder.

The Cybertool bits are also double ended and 28mm long. Normal precision bits have about the same length, but they are not double ended. There are 8 different double ended 28mm ones available, but they are hard to find and quite expensive. (For double ended it is easier to find 36mm ones, but they will not fit in the tool for carry).

An adapter is certainly possible, and most likely out there somewhere. Adapting to something that accepts higher torque than the tool is meant for might be a mixed blessing at some point though.

(Instead of an adapter you might want to simply look for a 4mm bit with a 1/4" hex socket. Or for more flexibility a two step solution with something like the Wiha 75806 adaptor which you then put a 1/4" socket on).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:00:25 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ar Offline fantasma64

• New User
  • Cybertool
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:18:19 AM
The Cybertool use the 4mm precision bit standard. There are lots of those bits available inexpensively and usually in large sets. The cybertool bits are held in place by a tiny ball though, and that is not standard. So to hold standard bits you might want to try a piece of shrink tube over the end, or getting magnet in the bottom of the holder.

The Cybertool bits are also double ended and 28mm long. Normal precision bits have about the same length, but they are not double ended. There are 8 different double ended 28mm ones available, but they are hard to find and quite expensive. (For double ended it is easier to find 36mm ones, but they will not fit in the tool for carry).

An adapter is certainly possible, and most likely out there somewhere. Adapting to something that accepts higher torque than the tool is meant for might be a mixed blessing at some point though.

(Instead of an adapter you might want to simply look for a 4mm bit with a 1/4" hex socket. Or for more flexibility a two step solution with something like the Wiha 75806 adaptor which you then put a 1/4" socket on).

Hi, you've been very helpful!

Thanks for your tips.

I have looked for accessories "Wiha".

Do you think this can be of help Wiha 71314 ?

thanks again :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:49 AM
Approaching this from a different angle....

If you want the 1/4" adapter, then you are going to need a way to carry the 1/4" bits. Instead of looking for an adapter, how about a Victorinox wrench set. This gives you the "L" wrech that uses the bit, and the carrier which holds a range of bits and the wrench itself. This would probably be stronger, neater, and easier to carry.

Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:44:43 AM
That driver really isn't intended for high torque applications.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:53:58 AM
50ft-trad has a very good point - no use with just the adapter anyway. What you potentially save is just the small weight/ size difference between the adapter setup and a standalone 1/4" driver. Those standalone drivers can be had very small, and will be a better overall solution. They are actually made to handle the 1/4" torque in the first place and can be had with ratchet action. The Victorinox wrench set being a good example.

Do you think this can be of help Wiha 71314 ?

thanks again :)

No, I don't think that will work. If you still want to go down the adapter route get a Wiha 75806 and a 1/4" hex socket for that one.

That said standalone is likely better for the reasons mentioned by 50ft and above. (You might also want to look at an alternative like the Klein Tools 32535 10-in-1).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ar Offline fantasma64

• New User
  • Cybertool
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 02:10:51 AM
Thanks to all opinions and welcome,

and sorry for being stubborn,

You are right, but I love my sak :climber: and I will be looking for any way to make it more versatile.

I know I'm limited by the torque, But I will not use it for hard work.  :multi:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:58:49 AM
Thanks to all opinions and welcome,

and sorry for being stubborn,

You are right, but I love my sak :climber: and I will be looking for any way to make it more versatile.

I know I'm limited by the torque, But I will not use it for hard work.  :multi:

You have a Cybertool with pliers. A standalone L wrench will also let you hold a nut while you turn a screw, or possibly clamp something in place while you drive a screw into it.

I'm stubborn too  >:D

... especially when I'm right  :P :D

Please keep us informed what solution you eventually go for, and how well it works for you  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:47:55 AM
Despite 50ft not being wrong, I disagree with him. I suggest you expand on the 4mm front rather than adding 1/4" bits.
E.g. get the Red Cycling kit (adds a L-wrench for convenience) or my favorite from Kraftwerk.
tcp_01.jpg
* tcp_01.jpg (Filesize: 198.57 KB)
4mm_02.jpg
* 4mm_02.jpg (Filesize: 202.18 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:34 AM
I would do it this way: Get a 1/4 to 4mm adapter. Glue one 4mm bit in the 4mm the wrong way around so you can put it in the cybertool. Now all you have to do is take a normal 1/4 bit adapter, saw off the hex hole part of the adapter and fix it to the 1/4 shaft of the 4mm adapter. I hope this makes some kind of sense. If this was already suggested I apologise, but I don't have time to read through the thread as I am at work and really shouldn't be on MTO...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ar Offline fantasma64

• New User
  • Cybertool
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:12 PM
Despite 50ft not being wrong, I disagree with him. I suggest you expand on the 4mm front rather than adding 1/4" bits.
E.g. get the Red Cycling kit (adds a L-wrench for convenience) or my favorite from Kraftwerk.

u say this? but is tooooooo expensive xD

One user of this forum recommended  this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Screwdriver-Kobalt-26-Piece-5-in-Ratcheting-Multi-Bit-0070035-/152149486003

Should cut the extension and solder (weld) a magnet buttom at the end

OR

weld magnet buttom in all bits of this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Steel-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-44pc/17190613

but i don ' t know

I think it's too much work, I thought it would be an easier way.
  :(

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 12:05:10 PM
I"ve never seen a step up adaptor. It wouldn't be hard to make- take a bit holder and file it down. But I don't think you'll ever see a commercial one, because of torque issues but also for every 4mm bit holder there are probably a couple hundred quarter inch bit holders. I think the torque issues would twist the head off if you filed one down becuase it's probably only a surface temper.

I"m going to join the crowd who is saying "add a multidriver". It doesn't have to be bulky. I really like the DocAllen Versadriver- I've carried one, the same one, for over a decade every day and used it a lot. You can't kill one, and bundled properly with a rack of ten bits it is about as bulky as slim SAK. If that is still too big, CountyCom has their Key Scredriver which is just a bit holder with wings. (CountyCom also has Versadrivers right now) Or get a bit holder and a thumb driver adapter, that would be your cheapest way (under $5) and isn't a bad way to do it. There are also less expensive L-wrenches.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

um Offline mzil

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:48 PM
I show two different ones I made in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0YpiOkaOk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:32 PM
I got 2 ways but never use them as I'm afraid of too much torque on my CT.
1) The Red Cycling kit has a 5mm Allen bit, which then works with the bit Adapter from the PB Swiss Tools Bike tool
2) This Kraftwerk kit (bottom middle) has a square 1/4" adapter that can be used for nuts and any bit holder from a regular ratchet kit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:55:38 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:04:37 AM
Whia and others make 4 mm to 1/4” adapters , but most I’ve seen are magnetic , rather than ball  detent . I’ve been tinking of putting a rare earth magnet in my Cybertool , so I could use more readily available ( Whia ) high quality 4 mm bits .

Best Regards,

Chris

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 12:11:25 AM
Approaching this from a different angle....

If you want the 1/4" adapter, then you are going to need a way to carry the 1/4" bits. Instead of looking for an adapter, how about a Victorinox wrench set. This gives you the "L" wrech that uses the bit, and the carrier which holds a range of bits and the wrench itself. This would probably be stronger, neater, and easier to carry.

Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

Agreed . Personally I carry a PBSwiss magazine Stubby driver , holds six in the magazine , and one in the chuck. No worries about overtorque . I also carry a Leatherman bit extender , that gives me a bit more reach when needed .

Best Regards,

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24