Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Humble Utility Knife.

Chako · 167 · 8567

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Humble Utility Knife.
on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:21 AM
INTRODUCTION

Thanks to another thread in another section of this forum, I got the thought that I should probably do another labour and time intensive thread focused on the humble utility knife. More specifically on those in my collection that feature replaceable blades featuring razor style cutting surfaces. As I look at what I have been able to amass in approximately 7 years, it is truly astounding the breath and width of this knife type.

It all began as a lark of sorts. I had just gotten into Swiss Army Knives (SAKs) and I came across a utility knife in a store. I always had a thing for folding utility knives and thought I should start a little collection on the side. The fascination was there, and that was the seed. But that seed grew due to the cheapness of these work knives (at first...now they are becoming increasingly more expensive). That and I just liked having something that I didn't have to worry about sharpening. There is something liberating in knowing that you can't wreck the knife by abusing the blade. Simply exchange the blade for another. This functionality combined with the folding comfortableness of the knife struck me as simply being a good combination to have. Thus I embarked on a side journey of sorts that faithful day when I bought my first utility knife. I stuck to the folding type at first, but like most collections, tend to grow in their own directions taking on a life of their own. I find myself today, unable to sleep (4 am here), thinking about this little collection that grew, and also thinking about the other thread that started this ball rolling.

Yeah, It might be time to fully explore this side shoot of sorts with plenty of photos and some info thrown in for good measure. Sit back and enjoy the exploration of my, well I guess I can't say little...collection of utility knives.

So strap in and visit this thread for many utility knifes to come as I will be taking the time to add additional knives when time permits.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Humble Utility Knife.
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:08 AM
Pro-Tect 2000

I am going to kick this off with an odd ball. The Pro-Tect 2000 is a safety cutter utility knife designed to protect the user at all times. The design comes fairly close to allowing an idiot to not cut themselves, except for one issue which I will talk about a little later one. This safety cutter does not use the standard utility knives, which is a detraction. Instead, you have two smaller trapezoidal blades which I believe you can buy from OLFA.

There are safety guards everywhere. The main blade has a safety bar that pushes inwards but does a good job of protecting the blade from harm as well as the user. The rear section features a hook knife which also features a pop up blade protector.  The main blade also has two pop out plastic pieces that give the knife some depth control for cutting. I would say this knife was designed for accident prone people. There is one issue however that I found slightly disconcerting while using this knife. To extend the main knife blade, you need to press a button on the back side, and at the same time, slide the main blade along a track. The track button has a locking feature as well. The part I found a little worrisome was how you retract the blade. Simply press the back button and the whole blade will shoot back into the body at great speed due to the strong spring. It does this a little violently, and it took me by surprise the first few times.

Pros:
- main blade and rear hook blade
- safety features throughout
- blades are easily replaceable

Cons:
- safety features get in the way
- does not use standard utility blades

Overall, this is a cheap utility knife designed to be ultra safe. However, the safety features get in the way of safely using this tool in the workplace. I have seen the spring loaded guards jam during use, or bind/pinch the object being cut, making this tool a bit fiddly in use and therefore less safe than the design would tell you. It is a good idea I guess, but for my money, I would get something sturdier with less/no safety guards, and that use easy to find standard knife blades.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:56:39 AM
Unknown Brand Disposable Utility Knife.

This next one is a bit of an odd ball design. This utility knife is made from plastic. In fact, you can see that the open to air plastic upper has started to discolour compared to the pristine white underside. Yes, high quality materials are sometimes employed in these type of knives, but this one can be excuses as this design is somewhat of a one use tool.

There is no locking mechanism on this design other than the constant pressure from your thumb. To extract the blade, simply press forward on the blue textured sliding button. retracting the blade requires the reverse. In the closed position, there is a weak locking mechanism that might prevent the blade from peaking out when not in use. I say weak because I can overcome it with a little pressure. I guess it is better than nothing though.

This design appears to feature a replaceable standard utility blade, however, once the end cap is yanked off, and the whole rail mechanism is pulled out, the blade has a fixed plastic rivet holding the blade. I recall only paying a dollar for this one somewhere, so my expectations weren't all that great, and oddly enough, this knife doesn't disappoint in being a simple design.

Pros:
- cheap
- simple to use

Cons:
- cheap
- iffy safety lock in the closed position
- must provide constant thumb pressure during use

Overall, this is a cheap disposable utility knife that uses a standard blade. The safety lock is weak, and you must constantly apply pressure when using the knife. On the upside, its use is fast and simple and would be a great tool that requires fast cutting without having to fiddle with a locking mechanism. The fact that it comes with only one blade that is non user replaceable is a let down, but one can't complain about the price point either.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:59:40 AM by Chako »

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:11 AM
well this will be an interesting thread. certainly looking forward to more of your thoughts
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:50 AM
Cheap Utility Knife of Unknown Brand.

Here is a dirt cheap folder that uses replaceable standard utility blades. This one did not cost me much, but this knife is very well a study in "you get what you pay for" analogy. The body is made of cheap plastic. Plastic that screams no frills, plastic that somewhat creaks when you grab it. You can tell the edges are not finished well. The knife continues with the cheap no frills approach in the use of a very awkward screw to retain the blade. Possibly one of the worst locking mechanisms I have seen out there for this type of knife. It takes a while to unscrew that screw enough for it to disengage one of the blade top notches, and an equal amount of time to lock a new blade in. Furthermore, the metal screw meshes with plastic threads. Never a good thing for longevity. Once again, dirt cheap knife...and I guess for the price point, if all you look at is utility, possibly a steal for someone out there. Myself, I prefer something with a lot more quality.

Pros:
- cheap
- removable standard utility blades
- pocket clip is ok

Cons:
- made so cheaply that it creaks
- blade retention screw is a poor idea
- iffy liner lock

overall, a very cheap and utilitarian knife with no soul that will get the job done...that is until if falls apart on you.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:10:51 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:19:23 AM
Stanley Utility Knife.

Stanley is one of those companies that have been in business for many years. In fact, if their web site is to be believed, 170 years to be exact. The name is almost synonymous with the utility knife. I know that in some regions, folks call a utility knife a "Stanley". So it comes as no surprise that I have managed to accrue several Stanley utility knives. This is the first one posted simply because I am methodically going through my collection...and the collection doesn't have any rhyme or reason for knife placement other than it will fit in the drawer.

Unlike the others posted, this Stanley utility knife has several great features going for it. Unlike the one mentioned above, this one features an all steel body. The thumb stud is metal as opposed to exceedingly cheap plastic. The liner lock works! Better yet, the blade retention mechanism is a joy to use. One simply pressed upwards on the metal stud to disengage the blade locking mechanism. Very easy and smooth to use.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- awesome blade retention mechanism that allows quick and easy blade changes
- positive liner lock

Cons:
- I can't think of any

Overall, this is a nice upscale utility knife wearing the Stanley name.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:24:23 AM
Stanley Utility Knife.

Here is another version sharing much of the same design cues as the one just mentioned above.The biggest difference is this knife features a more streamlined ergonomics that makes this one a bit more comfortable to use.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- excellent blade retention mechanism
- great ergonomics

Cons:
- Can't think of any.

Overall, this is a more comfortable design than the Stanley model mentioned above this posting. If I had to chose between the two, and my job involved cutting stuff all day long, this is the more kinder gentler version for the paws.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:00 AM
Stanley Utility Knife.

Imagine that, another Stanley utility knife. This one is a big departure from the nice rounded hand friendly knife I just finished talking about in the above post. This one is all old school looking with sharp edges and pointy projections. On the plus side, you do get an included carabiner along with a somewhat flat but usable pocket clip. Unlike the folding variants seen so far, this one is a slider. There is a central button with several detente stops in which the button positively clicks, locking the blade in that position. To exchange the blade, simply press the button all the way forward. This exposes the blade for a simple swap once you press inwards the blade locking mechanism

Pros:
- all metal construction
- carabiner
- faster to slide the blade open than to use a folder

Cons:
- somewhat fiddly sliding locking mechanism
- all angular and un-ergonomic in places.

Overall, this is a nice feeling tool that offers quick blade deployment via a sliding mechanism. Somewhat uncomfortable in places to hold, especially for extended use, but that carabiner makes carrying this tool a lot more versatile than a pocket clip can offer you alone.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:57 AM
Mastercraft  Utility Knife.

Mastercraft is the labeling that Canadian Tire uses on their tools. Their tools are usually of top quality and offer a lifetime warranty. They are much like Sear's Craftsman line in quality...however, with the current trouble of Sears Canada, their tool lineup has mostly dried up these days, leaving Mastercraft the tool winner of sorts. I have quite a few Mastercraft utility knifes in my collection. It amazes me at how many different utility knifes Canadian Tire places their labels on. Much like Sears, Canadian Tire does not produce their tools, albeit, whoever makes them does so at a good quality level.

This version is fairly nice as far as utility knives go. There is a bit of an annoyance factor for me, and although this is strictly personal, I am not a big fan of the main blade deployment lock. You see, to fold open the knife, you have to press a button on the handle. That button prevents the main folding part to unfold and causing unintentional harm. The problem for me is that it is another extra step. It is a minor quibble as I am sure if I was to use this knife for any extended time, I would get used to it and train my muscle memory. As it stands, I still get hung up on this simple process. I guess what I am saying is that I have to look at this knife to open it up.

What I really like about this particular design is the roller wheel blade retention mechanism. The pocket clip is also a winner as that spatula/spade tip really makes this tool a breeze to clip on.

Pros:
- metal and rubber construction
- wheel blade lock mechanism
- pocket clip design

Cons:
- must press a button on the handle to unfold the knife.

Overall, a nice design with a great locking blade mechanism. Fairly comfortable in the hand, but let down by that safety handle locking button. The real winner here is that rolling blade mechanism. Positive, and smooth in use. Makes changing blades something to look forward to. I kid you not.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
Mastercraft Maximum Utility Knife.

The Maximum line of Canadian Tire's Mastercraft tools are supposed to be their premium tiered tools. This utility knife exhibits a few interesting features. For example, this one features a lock back as opposed to the liner locks commonly seen in these type or folding utility knifes. The body is completely covered in high grip rubber with an all metal foundation. This model also features a large thumb ring on the spine of the blade holder. As an added bonus, the knife also has a hidden storage compartment where you can store a few blades. This hidden compartment is accessed via a small sliding button mechanism on the posterior end of the handle. So far so good, However, the blade locking mechanism is of the lever design. I have found this type to be not as nice as other blade retention mechanisms to use such as that sexy wheel mechanism on the Mastercraft utility knife mentioned in the previous post.

Pros:
- well constructed with high grip rubber surface
- giant thumb ring on top of blade allows for good control for detail work
- extra blade storage
- ergonomic and comfortable for long term use
- great pocket clip design
- lock back design

Cons:
- lever style blade retention mechanism makes exchanging blades a very slight pain.

Overall, this Mastercraft Maximum utility knife offers a lot of features, but is slightly let down by that lever.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:07:58 PM
Mastercraft Carpet Utility Knife.

This one is designed for carpets, and thus features an angled blade, and uses the square shaped utility blades. Another Canadian Tire Mastercraft labelled knife, this one features a nice metal diamond patterned texture that really increased the grip on the tool. This knife also has that annoying handle locking safety button feature where you have to press the button to unfold the knife. This mechanism also locks the knife in place. Of interest, Kobalt offers the same knife with their branding on it.

Pros:
- textured grip
- all metal construction

Cons:
- safety handle locking button
- lever style blade mechanism
- pocket clip design not as good as those with a wider tip

Overall, not a bad specialized knife, except for that safety locking mechanism on the handle. The lever mechanism makes blade changes a bit more fiddly then it needs to be.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:14 PM
Great pics as always Dan.  Thanks for taking the time*. :tu:

Show content
though I do hope you've managed to get some sleep in as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 06:12:22 PM
Stanley Utility Knife.

Imagine that, another Stanley utility knife. This one is a big departure from the nice rounded hand friendly knife I just finished talking about in the above post. This one is all old school looking with sharp edges and pointy projections. On the plus side, you do get an included carabiner along with a somewhat flat but usable pocket clip. Unlike the folding variants seen so far, this one is a slider. There is a central button with several detente stops in which the button positively clicks, locking the blade in that position. To exchange the blade, simply press the button all the way forward. This exposes the blade for a simple swap once you press inwards the blade locking mechanism

Pros:
- all metal construction
- carabiner
- faster to slide the blade open than to use a folder

Cons:
- somewhat fiddly sliding locking mechanism
- all angular and un-ergonomic in places.

Overall, this is a nice feeling tool that offers quick blade deployment via a sliding mechanism. Somewhat uncomfortable in places to hold, especially for extended use, but that carabiner makes carrying this tool a lot more versatile than a pocket clip can offer you alone.

Very cool!  I've never seen this one. 
Chako, you have so many cool Utility knives, I'm jealous. 

Am I wrong in assuming that the Stanley Utility knife that you have in the pictures there also features a small bottle opener on the front where the blade comes out?  It looks that way.       ???     :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:08:59 PM
Haha Chako that's an excellent thread subject!  :tu:
Believe it or not, knowing your collection threads I was eagerly waiting for this one, as I had drooled at your box cutter and utility blades' pictures in previous posts.
I am a fan of them, these below are about 2/3rds of my utility knives, the other scattered around our other house and different rooms in this one.

Opinel num. 8 for size comparison. I have used them in many places and for very different cutting chores, through varied materials, different stuff and weird things that needed to be cut.
Most are the cheap $1-2 dollar varieties, but my favorites are these:

Top to bottom, Left to Right:

- Solid Stainless Steel Utility Blade. Thumbstud, button-exchangeable blades, lock back, super tough and heavy, slim and solid
- Plastic scaled Utility Knife. Thumb protrusion, very smooth action, light weight, flexes under pressure, standard quickly exchangeable blades
- Ergonomic Precision utility. Very grippy, comfortable rubber scales, smooth sliding blade with very very fine and flimsy structure, precise and slicey
- Carbide bladed standard cutter. Has a standard cheapo plastic body but came with carbide sliding blades, noticeably better in edge holding
- "Pizza" box cutter. Cool, like a pizza cutter with retractable circular spinning blade, for cutting without penetrating and damaging under the surface, is very smooth, nice in the hand and cuts very precisely allowing for shallow cuts if the thing below is fragile
- Gerber Dime. Has my favorite "utility blade" or "boxcutter knife" of all the MTs I have tried, together with the package opener that makes this a "utility bladed MT" in all regards
- Weird small-ish blade. I took it from a solid, full size folding box cutter. I sometimes carried it loose in the pocket along a set of replaceable blades, joined together by an S-biner, to have a quick, very packable utility knife on me when wearing clothes with few pockets. Has a surprisingly good gripping area and can be comfortably used and handled. Quick to put in and out the blades.
- Rubber-Aluminum handle slider. With very ergonomic scales for different grips, short blade that just slides a couple cm with a nice sliding plate on the top that doubles as a thumb rest utensil. To replace the blade you unscrew the handle with a simple flathead.

Just had some free time and wanted to share my passion for these worldwide used and well known tools!   :salute:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:10:49 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 01:11:17 AM

Peacent, cant see the pictures  :(   they just say "PhotoBucket blaw blaw blaw" on them   :(

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 01:32:18 AM
ThePeacent, looks like you have reached your Photobucket limit somehow and we can't see your photos anymore.

You are not wrong King_Gorilla, that is a bottle opener.

Stay tuned, I have just started, but this will take some time to play out.  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:33:25 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:02 AM
Tool Worx Utility Knife.

I found this one at a grocery store of all places along with a few cheap but like branded plier based multi-tools. Although it is a cheap product, there are some very nice features to this one. All metal construction, but the biggest boon for this folding knife, is the lock back feature. Not as fiddly as a liner lock in my opinion. The blade locking mechanism is a bit clunky on this model. It involves having to pull up on an arm which disengages the blade for easy replacement. This mechanism is a bit tricky however as it is a tight fit, meaning I have to struggle a little to shift it. I guess this might loosen up with a wear and tear.

Pros:
- well built for the price line
- pocket clip done well with a wide spatula tip
- lock back

Cons:
- not the best blade retention mechanism out there

Overall, a nice little folding utility knife with some nice features for the price point.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:35 AM
Gerber EAB Utility Knife.

This svelt compact beauty from Gerber has an interesting history. The original EAB utility knife was found to have a dangerous flaw that allowed a user to cut their fingers due to a poorly designed lower finger guard that didn't hold the blade in place very well. There was a recall on those. I have two because I tried to get an original prior to the safety recall, but failed. However, I do not mind as I EDCed one of these for a summer a few years ago. Hence, both of these are post recall, and have been altered from the original to make it safer for the end user. If you have one of these, check to see if you have an original and more dangerous model just for safety's sake.

The EAB is very compact. I find this to be the perfect EDC item due to its size. The pocket clip is also a winner on this model. The only downfall to this design is the need for a screw driver to replace the blade.

Pros:
- small and lightweight
- nice wide easy to use pocket clip

Cons:
- need a tool to replace the blade
- if you have the original, can be a laceration hazard to your fingers

Overall, the Gerber EAB is a winner in my books. The design could be improved upon by having a quick change blade system...but I must say, the screw does lock the blade solid with no wiggle that often comes with a quick blade exchange system.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 02:31:51 AM
Unknown Brand Utility Knife.

If you look long and hard, you will stumble upon all sorts of folding utility knives that are non branded...but each are interesting in themselves. For example, this utility knife has a well textured and decorative handle. Not a big fan of the button locking mechanism, however, the simple push the black button inwards to replace the blade is a good system that offers quick and easy blade exchange.  There is also a nice thumb stud on the upper part of the blade. This really helps for delicate work and fine control of the utility knife.

Pros:
- non slip handle
- thumb ring
- easy blade swap

Cons:
- Not the best construction on the textured parts, but there is a metal frame under all that rubber and plastic.
- no pocket clip
- button lock on handle is annoying...but that is just my personal view.

Overall, another non expensive utility knife made by whoever in China. There are some nice features to this one, but there are equal detractions as well. At least the colour makes finding this tool a bit easier around the house or on the job site.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 02:37:54 AM
CAN-PRO Utility Knife.

I really like this folder because it has a lot going for it. It is very well made with an all metal construction. The knife features a lock back design which I think is superior to a liner lock. The real winner here however, is the black exchange system that is just super easy to use. There is a lever ramp that you press down, which moves the arm upwards, allowing quick and easy blade swapping. Simple and well thought out with one fault. The pocket clip doesn't have a wide tip which makes using one a lot easier. I find these narrow pocket clips tend to hang up and get fowled when in use...or at least with my jeans.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- easy to use blade locking mechanism
- lock back

Cons:
- pocket clip does not have a spatula tip.

Overall, this little guy is simple, and well constructed. The lock back and blade exchange mechanism makes this one little slick folding utility knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 02:46:43 AM

Now this one is a bit odd. There are several really good features with this odd duck, and some fairly bad things about it. The body is thick because there is a rear hatch that swings open for blade storage. Having extra blades with the knife is always a big plus in my books. Because of the width, the main blade is not dead center but located to the right of the body. This makes using this tool slightly awkward. There is an extra  wide thumb ring on the spine of the blade. This feature is good for cutting control. The body is all plastic and rubber and lends the tool a cheap feel. When you swing open the rear hatch, you will see that there is no metal foundation to the handle. Because of this, the body can be compressed every so slightly, making the knife creak. It is solid enough but not all that reassuring in use.

Pros:
- extra blade storage
- super fat thumb ring

Cons:
- cheap plastic body
- blade is off center
- blade exchange mechanism is a bit fiddly and not altogether easy to use.

Overall, this model offers quite a mixed bag. What it does well, it does very well. Likewise, what it does bad, it does very bad.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 02:55:37 AM
Milwaukee Fastback II.

Talk about extremes from the previous model. This is probably one of my most favorite utility knives out there. This one is not only very ergonomic, but features an awesome pocket clip. I might even say best in the industry. The knife features a lot of neat and very useful features. All metal construction, and integrated gut hook, an excellent quick blade exchange locking mechanism of the push in variety. Oddly enough, this one does have a push button locking mechanism on the handle, but for some reason, this one is silky smooth and easy to use. Although I am not a fan of this, preferring a lock back, this one is done right, and I find it is not an impediment in its use. The extra blade storage is also another great feature of this knife.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- integrated gut hook feature and wire cutter
- best pocket clip in the business
- easy to use blade exchange mechanism
- extra blade storage in the handle

Cons:
- can't think of any

Overall, I think this is one of the best utility knife designs out there. This is probably my personal favorite of the lot.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:09:21 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 03:09:00 AM
Milwaukee Fastback.

The Milwaukee Fastback does not have an internal blade storage compartment,  It offers all the great features mentioned for the Fastback II.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- integrated gut hook feature and wire cutter
- best pocket clip in the business
- easy to use blade exchange mechanism

Cons:
- no extra blade storage

Overall, another great design, and I think, tops in its field. If you don't need the extra blade storage, then the Fastback will not disappoint.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 03:17:39 AM

If memory serves me right, this trio were some of the first utility knives I bought. There is some interesting things going on here. For example, these knives offer a 45 degree lock as well as a 180 degree lock. This turns them into carpet knives, albeit ones using the standard utility knife blades and not the square ones usually associated with a dedicated carpet knife. These also feature a lock back which is always appreciated by me at least. The handles are very comfortable with just the right amount of textured rubber grip. The blade exchange mechanism is also a good one. This system is quick and easy to use. Simply pull the disk away from the blade to disengage the lock. There is a spring that will return the disk back into position once released.

Pros:
- dual blade locking position
- all metal construction with a nice textured grip
- ergonomic
- good quick blade swap locking mechanism
- lock back

Cons:
- a bit on the larger size for a folding utility knife.
- weight
- pocket clip is narrow and harder to use

Overall, these are well constructed utility knifes that are on the larger and heavier side.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:40 AM
Sears Craftsman Utility Knife.

As I have mentioned before in a previous post in this thread, Sears is currently hurting with a diminished to nonexistent tool department. I view myself as being lucky I have the few Sears models that I have in my collection. This one is a real looker. Not only is it in a striking high visibility red, the handles are all metal and feature a textured diamond pattern. This knife is not a folder, but a slider. There is a press button mechanism on the top of the knife. The blade assembly slides on rails, and the the button has several locking positions that control how much blade is exposed. The quick blade exchange mechanism is a fit fiddly as you have to press upwards on a small area to allow for free blade removal. Not the worst system out there by any means. The knife offers a nice lanyard loop built in. This knife is fairly thin with slab sides. There is also a master lock on the left handle that prevents unwanted activation of the main sliding mechanism.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- sliding mechanism with positive locking positions
- built in lanyard loop
- sexy red...can I say that?

Cons:
- quick change blade mechanism not of the best design, but is very serviceable
- small main slide locking switch

Overall, this little knife is a looker, and doesn't short change you in the utility department.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 03:35:56 AM
Unknown Brand Sliding Utility Knife.

Here is a different looking knife. Much like the Sears mentioned above, this model works on the sliding principle as opposed to a folder. An improvement over the Sears model, the main sliding button is protected by two metal protrusions much like what you see on a Gerber MP600. This model is striking because it is made of clear plastic with a metal foundation underneath. Not sure how the finish would last out on the job site, but if left pristine, this one is a looker. Another thing done better than the Sears model mentioned above, is the quick change blade mechanism. This one offers more of a purchase, making it easier on the fingers, and also making the whole process that much more convenient.

Pros:
- sliding mechanism
- Protected sliding mechanism button
- good quick exchange blade mechanism

Cons:
- Plastic is visually stunning, but I have to wonder at its longevity
- pocket clip is narrow with not much of a lip at the tip

Overall, this knife offers a few upgrades to the above Sears model but at the price of possibly poorer handle material.

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 09:10:12 AM
I remember there was a bit of a stir up over how great the Husky brand utility knife was so I'm interested to see if you've got it and your thoughts. Also those $120 titanium "tools" if you for what ever reason got your hands on 'em
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:33 AM
Will we be seeing the most humble of utility knives in this thread?  :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:46 AM
Stanley 0-10-598

For slim X-Acto style blades.

The locking mechanism reminds one of the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman, although on the Stanley it's made of plastic.

Pro: slim and lightweight. Carries a spare blade.
Con: not exactly a quick release system.

DSC06706-stanley-overview-33.jpg
* DSC06706-stanley-overview-33.jpg (Filesize: 301.95 KB)
DSC06709-stanley-innards-33.jpg
* DSC06709-stanley-innards-33.jpg (Filesize: 407.68 KB)
DSC06707-stanley-blades-33.jpg
* DSC06707-stanley-blades-33.jpg (Filesize: 222.63 KB)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:31:51 AM by Ronald Schröder »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:28 AM
Another great thread!  :cheers:

Why would someone make something and not put his name on it? So many unknown brands.  ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%