Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Humble Utility Knife.

Chako · 167 · 8603

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Humble Utility Knife.
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 12:23:15 PM
Gerhard Gerber, you bet. I have the most basic in my collection. Just haven't got to them as of yet.

ReamerPunch, there are many utility knives that fall under the unknown brand. Most of them are produced cheaply in China and sold for not a whole lot. They also vary in quality, with some being outstanding value, and others not so much. Some of the ones with a name brand on them can often times be found wearing other labels as the factory that produces them makes them for a wide number of companies.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:27:12 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 06:54:20 PM
I will always love the Gerber EAB!   :D  It's my Favorite!  I just wish I could get my hands on one of the old black ones :(   

:like:  I really like the look of that Craftsman sliding blade.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 07:19:18 PM
Milwaukee Fastback II.

Talk about extremes from the previous model. This is probably one of my most favorite utility knives out there. This one is not only very ergonomic, but features an awesome pocket clip. I might even say best in the industry. The knife features a lot of neat and very useful features. All metal construction, and integrated gut hook, an excellent quick blade exchange locking mechanism of the push in variety. Oddly enough, this one does have a push button locking mechanism on the handle, but for some reason, this one is silky smooth and easy to use. Although I am not a fan of this, preferring a lock back, this one is done right, and I find it is not an impediment in its use. The extra blade storage is also another great feature of this knife.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- integrated gut hook feature and wire cutter
- best pocket clip in the business
- easy to use blade exchange mechanism
- extra blade storage in the handle

Cons:
- can't think of any

Overall, I think this is one of the best utility knife designs out there. This is probably my personal favorite of the lot.

The Milwaukee Fastback II get my vote as the best of the best.
My version opens half way like a carpet knife, or all the way.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 03:15:15 AM
Stanley 0-10-598

For slim X-Acto style blades.

The locking mechanism reminds one of the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman, although on the Stanley it's made of plastic.

Pro: slim and lightweight. Carries a spare blade.
Con: not exactly a quick release system.

Where did you find that variety of blades? I have an old version of the Pocket Knife, with chrome plated metal handles, and here in the US all I can find is sheepsfoot and Wharncliffe, only the former of which is sold locally, only in one regional farm supply store.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 05:04:28 AM
Lenox Gold Utility Knife.

This utility knife branded by Lenox has a hidden feature. The tail end offers a bottle opener and flat screwdriver which pivots out. I found my copy to be somewhat of a nail breaker. On the plus side, the Lenox Gold has a nice quick blade exchange lock. Simply pull upwards on the protrusion and this pulls up a bar that disengages with the notches found on the top of the utility blade. This is a simple and positive mechanism which will allow stress free and quick blade swaps. The Lenox does feature a lot of plastic in the body making this tool very light compared to those with all metal construction. There is also a built in wire cutter, a nice feature to have. The pocket clip is lackluster as it binds due to the narrow tip. This folder uses a liner lock which in this case is very positive unlike some of the cheaper no name branded utility knives out there.

Pros:
- easy and quick blade swaps
- wire cutter
- built in bottle opener and flat driver
- light weight

Cons:
- bottle opener and flat driver combo tool is bit hard to open
- Lots of plastic in the body
- pocket clip could be better designed

Overall, the Lenox Gold is a light knife with a fantastic blade lock mechanism. The added bonus of that bottle opener and flat driver adds functionality. Not a bad knife, but it does have some slight issues.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 05:12:25 AM
Stanley Side Slider Utility Knife.

Here is another Stanley knife for you, with a difference. This one is not a folder, but a slider. The sliding mechanism is located on the side instead of on the spine of the knife like many others. This makes the knife a little easier to use as the button falls right under your fingers. There are not stages to the slide locking mechanism. The knife will lock only in the fully opened and closed position. The pocket clip is of the narrow design and thus I find tends to fight your pocket a little when you are trying to hook the knife in a pocket. The quick swap blade mechanism is a bit fiddly to use, needing the user to pull upwards to disengage the blade lock.

Pros:
- convenient side scroller
- all metal construction
- Slide mechanism is smooth

Cons:
- narrow pocket clip
- only two locking positions on the slide
- not the best quick swap mechanism

Overall, this Stanley is a comfortable knife to use. The side slide is a better position then having it on the spine of the knife.

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 05:16:34 AM
Stanley 0-10-598

For slim X-Acto style blades.

The locking mechanism reminds one of the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman, although on the Stanley it's made of plastic.

Pro: slim and lightweight. Carries a spare blade.
Con: not exactly a quick release system.

Where did you find that variety of blades? I have an old version of the Pocket Knife, with chrome plated metal handles, and here in the US all I can find is sheepsfoot and Wharncliffe, only the former of which is sold locally, only in one regional farm supply store.
The shop where I got them is gone, can´t help you with this.  >:(

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:43 AM
Schrade Utility Knife.

Although marked as a Schrade, this utility knife never touched American soil during its production cycle. Featuring a nice diamond textured pattern on the handles, this knife also features all metal construction. The pocket clip is once again a narrow type. The worst part of this knife is the screw that holds the blade in place.

Pros:
- nice textured handles
- all metal body

Cons:
- narrow pocket clip
- screwed down blade holder

Overall, not a really bad knife other then you will need a tool to exchange blades. The patter on the handles make this one look rugged and durable.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 05:25:29 AM
Rona Utility Knife.

Rona is a hardware chain, and this knife is nothing more than an advertiser for the company. With that said, there are quite a few nice features. For example, this is a lock back. Likewise, the pocket clip features a wide spatula tip which I find easier to use. The quick change blade mechanism on the other hand is fiddly and sometimes jams.

Pros:
- lock back
- all metal construction
- good pocket clip design

Cons:
- quick change blade mechanism is a bit stiff and hard on the nails to use

Overall, not a bad little knife. It has a few home runs but it is also let down by the quick change blade locking mechanism.

hr Offline styx

Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:38 PM
Would you ever consider trying one of these

Since there are multiple brands that all make very similar products, it really doesn't matter which brand it is
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 12:10:34 PM
I think I have something similar. I did not take a photo of it for this thread yet...but thanks for the reminder. I will have to include mine in here later. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 12:24:29 PM
ALLTRADE Utility Knife.

Here is another all metal bodied utility knife with one difference. Instead of having a push button locking mechanism on the handle, this ALLTRADE branded model features a sliding button. The finish on this one is subpar. On the positive side, there is a matching sliding button that is a breeze to use when it comes time to swap blades. No pocket clip...say what!

Pros:
- all metal construction
- easy to use blade locking mechanism on both the folding and blade release part

Cons
- shoddy paint finish
- nonexistent pocket clip

Overall, not a bad little basic utility knife let down by poor finish and lack of a pocket clip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:51 PM
Sears Craftsman Fancy Utility Knife.

Here is a looker that wouldn't look out of place with a suit or fancy dress. This Sears Craftsman utility knife features luxurious wooden handle inserts and shiny metal bolsters and handle bits. The pocket clip on this knife is a winner with that wide spatula tip. To counterbalance that, this knife features a somewhat terrible blade exchange locking mechanism that isn't the easiest to use as a bit of force is required to pull and push it back into place.

Pros:
- luxury looking style
- winning pocket clip design
- lock back design

Cons:
- not the best designed blade swapping mechanism out there.

Overall, I like this one based on looks and heft. It does exude quality in fit and finish, but let down slightly due to the blade swapping mechanism.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:33:37 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 12:40:22 PM
Stanley Fancy Utility Knife.

This is Stanley's fancier utility knife for those who want to EDC in style. Featuring beautiful wooden handles with the company logo laser etched on one side, and much like the fancy utility knife mentioned above, with highly polished metal handle bits thrown in for general aesthetics. This knife features a liner lock as opposed to the Sear's lock back design...but it was done right with a positive lock. The blade locking mechanism is superior to the Sears. Simply roll a wheel forward to disengage the blade retention feature. This makes changing blades a breeze.

Pros:
- liner lock done right
- fancy upscale looks
- spatula tipped pocket clip
- easy to use blade locking mechanism

Cons:
- I can't think of any

Overall, this fancy Stanley utility knife does the job in style. I am not a fan of liner locks, but this one is done solid.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:51 PM
Unknown Brand Sliding Design Utility Knife.

Here is a bit of an odd duck. This utility knife is larger than a folder, offers a sliding mechanism to open or close the main blade, and also has a wire cutter built in. The sliding mechanism offers several locking stops to control blade depth for cutting. The odd part of this knife however, is how you access the hidden blade storage in the handle. Press a sliding button on the side, and the whole knife opens up on a hinge. This allows you great access to both the extra hidden blades as well as to swap the cutting blade. There is one issue with this style however, it is a bit ungainly and awkward to use. It is very easy to drop your extra blades, and possibly cut yourself while juggling the knife and its movable internal sharp parts. Still a neat design and one you don't see often.

Pros:
- painted a garish red so you will never lose it on a job site or at home
- extra blade storage inside the handle
- wire cutter feature included
- variable sliding lock stops to control how much blade is exposed

Cons:
- hinge style access is a bit awkward to use

Overall, I quite like this sliding style utility knife. The hinge is awkward but it does give you marvelous access to the blade storage and makes swapping blades super easy...once you get used to handling the open knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:51 PM
Unknown Brand Small Utility Knife.

I have a pair of these small key-chain utility knives that differ in paint colour. Both mimic a larger tool shrunk to something that will fit onto a key-chain. Surprisingly, both offer the same easy to use blade exchange mechanism. You press down on the triangle shaped metal stud and this lifts the locking bar upwards for easy blade swapping. Amazingly, both are lock backs as well.

Pros:
- small size perfect for small jobs
- great blade locking mechanism
- lock back

Cons:
- small size and big utility knife styling makes these not so ergonomic for big paws
- finding blades can be problematic

Overall, neat little utility knife with neat little hard to find utility blades.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 01:06:26 PM
Stanley Folding Slider Utility Knife.

Here is another Stanley Utility knife, but with a twist. This knife is compact because the knife is a folder, combined with a sliding blade design. This makes the knife compact. The thumb stud sticks out on this design, meaning it will catch on things. Likewise, the pocket clip has a narrow tip which increases the likeliness of having it bind during use. On the plus side, there are several lock stops to control blade depth. To replace the blade, there is a special forward sliding position that exposes enough of the blade to do a safe and easy swap. I did find the sliding button mechanism to bind slightly at times. This could improve with use, or worsen I guess.

Pros:
- compact folding design
- variable locking positions to control blade depth
- bright colour makes losing this a little harder
- easy blade swapping

Cons:
- sliding rail mechanism binds at times
- fiddly black body button that locks the folder open or closed
- poor pocket clip design
- slider button sticks out of the body, making it prone to getting caught in things

Overall, this Stanley isn't all bad. Its folding slider design does make it a more compact utility knife. You do pay for this however in having an extra step before you can use it.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:32:14 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: June 22, 2017, 01:13:55 PM
Fix It! Utility Knife.

This pair features a unique locking mechanism that involves a spring loaded shaft that mates with an oval egg shaped double sided button that fits into a corresponding cut out on the blade holder. Simply, the spring loaded shaft pushes on the button providing positive pressure. It is the only time I have seen this on a utility knife.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- unique locking mechanism
- blade swapping mechanism is easy to use

Cons:
- pocket clip features a narrow crooked tip that got in the way of easy pocket carry

Overall, I find these rather interesting due to the locking mechanism. Not a bad little design either only let down by the weird pocket clip design.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: June 22, 2017, 01:18:14 PM
Sheffield Slider Utility Knife.

Here is another garishly painted sliding design utility knife, but this time from Sheffield. Not much to say about this one either. It is of all metal construction. The sliding mechanism is smooth and easy to use. The blade locking mechanism is of a good design that will not hinder blade swapping.

Pros:
- all metal design
- smooth sliding mechanism
- easy blade swapping

Cons:
- Nothing I can think of.

Overall, not a bad utility knife of this style. Nothing fancy, but gets all the basics right.

hr Offline styx

Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:31 PM
I think I have something similar. I did not take a photo of it for this thread yet...but thanks for the reminder. I will have to include mine in here later. :tu:

Some love 'em, some hate 'em, you I trust

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #50 on: June 22, 2017, 04:49:22 PM
here's the pic of my favorite Utility Knives that corresponded to my previous post.
Keep them coming, Chako!   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #51 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:52 PM
Fix It! Utility Knife.

At first I was thinking that the green stanley folding slider was so cool,  then i scrolled down to this^

A utility knife with some kind of Axis lock???   That's crazy!    You're blowing my mind, Chako!  :ahhh

hr Offline styx

Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:46 PM
Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill
Today's knives ain't got the same soul
I like that old time Stanley knives

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 08:34:49 PM
That's a Stanley 99E, but it's a relatively new one. Mine's a true dinosaur:
DSC06731-stanley-99-e-25.jpg
* DSC06731-stanley-99-e-25.jpg (Filesize: 448.79 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:14 AM
I've only worked with them a few times and I'm smurfed off that I have a hard time finding them locally since they were so enjoyable to use. Not light or easy to carry but they didn't feel like poking a T-rex with a chopstick either when it came to those longer jobs

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 10:59:11 AM
Yep, those last two are what I call Stanley Knives.  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:30 AM
Nice collection ThePeacent.

Yes, those old ones are good if not terribly convenient to use. At least you know they will be solid.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:39 PM
Unknown Brand Utility Knife.

Here is an all plastic utility knife including the blade holder. Because of this, this is a very light knife. Also because of this, there is a bit of flex almost everywhere making this one feel really cheap, which is it of course. The pocket clip is of the narrow type which I do not like as much as the wider ones. The quick swap mechanism is simple and good. Simply pull up on that disk which disengages the blade locking mechanism. Furthermore, the liner lock is poorly implemented, not exactly giving your a positive locking position.,

Pros:
- blade locking mechanism
- swirly handle graphics  :)
- handle is very comfortable with finger indents

Cons:
- all plastic
- narrow pocket clip

Overall, this is better then not having one at all...I guess.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:07 PM
Husky Utility Knife.

I have a series of Husky branded utility knifes that I bought from the local  Home Depot a while back. They all feature solid heavy metal construction with a nice texture. This one also packs a half serrated knife blade. The utility knife side has an easy to use blade exchange sliding button. Not sure why this button is accessible when the knife is folded away unless it is only for looks. The knife side has an easy to use metal thumb stud, and both the utility and serrated knife feature liner locks, which in this case, is done right.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- utility knife and half serrated knife in one package
- good blade exchange system

Cons:
- no pocket clip

Overall, a very nice utility knife that needs a belt sheath for carry as it is a bit heavy to pocket carry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: June 23, 2017, 12:21:45 PM
Husky Utility Knife.

Another Husky branded utility knife, but without the tag along side knife blade. This makes this one a lot thinner and compact compared to its larger brother just posted above. On the plus side, there is a well designed pocket clip. Also, an easy to use blade exchange mechanism is also used.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- good blade exchange mechanism used
- well designed pocket clip

Cons:
- Not any that I can think of

Overall, a very nice little utility knife with a good well designed features.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69